PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Experience On The Forum

Myxinikela
04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Why do I lose my log-in status while reading posts? It happened 3X tonight.
I can only tell it happens when I lose my Thanks button or cannot get south of the Pit. I was also sent to pages having no connection to this forum 2x; and sent back to the contents page 3X, having to start over with this post. What's the story?

Jason
04-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Anyone else having a problem?

Leif
04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
I have never since I signed up here, been logged out with it being by my own doing.

This may have something to do with your own settings Myxin

RangerXanatos
04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Could it possibly be with not having checked the "Remember me" box when you log in?

One Legged Josh
04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Someone else mentioned the site "logging them out" last night.

pik
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Someone else mentioned the site "logging them out" last night.

That was Bucketosudz here: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34498.

bsred
04-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I wasn't logged out but yesterday and the day before I was redirected several times to other sites , but my tab said I was still here, The sites I got sent to said something about powered by mignet assistant

upthecreek
04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I walk away from my machine sometimes for hours on in and have never been logged out.

rusty stove
04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I have noticed "loosing" the thanks button recently- even when I am logged in- the only way that I can get it back is to log out and log back in again.

Old Philosopher
04-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I can walk away for hours, and stay connected to the site. I can close my browser for hours, and come back as logged on.
I hate to say it, but being redirected to other sites, or having your connection "hijacked" is just that. It's probably some sort of malware some of you picked up somewhere.

tennecedar
04-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I have been logged a few times out after 20-30 minutes of inactivity.

Guy
04-20-2011, 11:25 PM
I wasn't logged out but yesterday and the day before I was redirected several times to other sites , but my tab said I was still here, The sites I got sent to said something about powered by mignet assistant

Mignet is malware. That isn't the site, its on your computer. Those things go in cycles and there seems to be a lot of them going around right now.

Old Philosopher
04-20-2011, 11:34 PM
I would encourage anyone running Windows to download and use Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program. There is a free version, and an enhanced version. The free version has saved my tail twice now, once with a worm, and the other with a hijacker.

bsred
04-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Mignet is malware. That isn't the site, its on your computer. Those things go in cycles and there seems to be a lot of them going around right now.

I must have picked it up here because this is the only site I had been on for days before.

Old Philosopher
04-21-2011, 12:11 AM
I must have picked it up here because this is the only site I had been on for days before.
Opened any questionable email, of clicked on any links in emails?
Have you watched any video here where you went to YouTube, instead of watching the embedded link?

bsred
04-21-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't think so, I'll have to check my history, but I'm pretty sure I didn't

Old Philosopher
04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Another program that is highly respected and used is Piriform's CCleaner. You can customize it to clean your computer after web browsing. It removes all cookies that you don't want to protect, and eliminates "tracking cookies" from staying around to bother you.

Dano
04-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I've had it happen several times in the past. Been fighting some health issues since the new server so can't say for sure recently. It has happened when logged on in windows or linux. I have had a few posts go to a blank page with the new server, and when I hit the back button, have been logged out somehow....

Guy
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM

No, you did NOT receive it here. We don't run banner ads or any software not related to vBulletin. We also have not added any modification software in months.

twchilds
04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I lose my logged on status all the time. AOL??

Guy
04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
I lose my signed on status all the time. AOL??

There are several posts on the vBulletin admin forum that mention AOL as causing problems maintaining logins. Can you use a different browser than AOL's? The problem seems to be the way they handle cookies.

Plains Woman
04-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I notice I get logged out when I am using my laptop. If I click anything (to look at other posts), I get logged out. Drives me nuts. I do not check Remember Me because I do not want any information saved on that computer. When I use my Mac (which is most of the time) I never get logged out.

WarDoggy
06-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Been awhile for this one, but I get logged out pretty constantly. If I don't do anything for a little bit, and come back, I get the loverly "you need to be logged in" screen.

Usually happens after about 10min or so.

Thoughts, comments, assistance?

thx

Old Philosopher
06-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Been awhile for this one, but I get logged out pretty constantly. If I don't do anything for a little bit, and come back, I get the loverly "you need to be logged in" screen.

Usually happens after about 10min or so.

Thoughts, comments, assistance?

thx
I'm pretty sure it has to do with a combination of individual browser settings, network settings, etc., and not BCUSA website.
I have accidentally stayed connected for over 2 hours without being logged off automatically. I don't save passwords for the sites I visit, just the ID cookies. I can be logged off the site all night, and when I click on my bookmark, I come back logged in automatically.
I'm using Firefox now, and I did get booted off a couple times over a year ago when running Internet Explorer.

LECTER
06-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Get Firefox
Get Ccleaner
Get Malwarebytes' Anti-malware
Get Spybot Search and Destroy
Get Avast! Anti-virus
(all cost nothing)
You'll never have any issues no matter where you surf! ;)

shutternut
06-13-2011, 03:46 AM
+1 on Lecter. It sounds like a browser hijacker. Surefire indicator is that it leaves your original URL in the address bar but sends you to other sites. I agree with Faol that there has not been any type of ad on this site that would be a likely culprit. I don't know if any external links from posts might have put you are risk, but I haven't had a problem from any that I've visited.

Hope you get it cleared up soon.

LECTER
06-13-2011, 04:22 AM
+1 on Lecter. It sounds like a browser hijacker.

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty severe when it comes to my internet security and the setup I posted above has kept me clean as a whistle for many years!

Old Philosopher
06-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks! :)

I'm pretty severe when it comes to my internet security and the setup I posted above has kept me clean as a whistle for many years!
I know that Avira is one of the best virus protectors around, and I can't remember what issue I had with it that made me change. It has been rated higher than McGafee and Norton...and it's free!
I'm using AVG Free edition now, and it seems to be doing a better job than the old versions of AVG. But I'm still not as confident as I was with Avira.
I run the others you listed on a regular basis.
One commercial cleaning program I HIGHLY recommend it Ace Utilities. It's either $40,or $60, with regular updates, but it's the only Registry cleaner I'll trust. If not the Utilities program, then at least get their Registry Tune-Up. A cluttered Registry (WinXP) will bog a computer down as surely as a fragmented drive.

WarDoggy
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm pretty sure it has to do with a combination of individual browser settings, network settings, etc., and not BCUSA website.

I keep my security settings set to 'HIGH', so that's probably it. Fot the record, it doesn't re-direct me to other sites, it's just like I log off the forum.

Old Philosopher
06-13-2011, 12:08 PM
I keep my security settings set to 'HIGH', so that's probably it. Fot the record, it doesn't re-direct me to other sites, it's just like I log off the forum.
Just change the setting that says "Allow session cookies", and that might fix it. That way, as long as you're on the site, it should keep the cookie, but then flush it when you log off.

DougsOutdoors
06-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Just change the setting that says "Allow session cookies", and that might fix it. That way, as long as you're on the site, it should keep the cookie, but then flush it when you log off.

I think Old Phil got it right here. Most 'log in' type websites pass a session ID(cookie) to your browser which keeps you logged in. If your browser settings have changed and are not allowing the session ID to be passed along, you'll get logged out suddenly.

There is also a Firefox addon called XUL Runner thats been hijacking alot of browsers lately and redirecting them to various sites containing malware and viruses.
If you're using firefox, check your add-ons, plug ins, and extensions for XUL Runner. If it's there, disable and remove it immediately.