PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do about Chafing and "monkey butt"

Joshuajk
04-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Well first off. I know "monkey butt" might be a touchy subject and if so, please delete from here.

As a larger guy. I have problems while out hiking during warmer weather. My inner thighs chaf really bad to the point where sometimes, embarrasingly I have to walk bow legged. The only thing I could do to get it to not hurt so much would be to wear a tight fitting clothing item under my pants, such as spandex. But the problem with that is it gets really hot and the sweat builds up and then the spandex/tight clothing begins to move around causing more chafing.

I have recently found a product (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/anti-monkey-butt-powder-96235.aspx) and Was wondering if any of you guys have used to to cure this problem. Or, if you know a more natural way without having to put some kind of chemical on your body.

Arrowolf
04-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Try some Underarmor Heatgear instead of regular spandex stuff. Pricey but worth it.

Skab
04-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Here's a thread on the same subject:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13457&highlight=monkey+butt

Butt to answer your question, I prefer A&D ointment, meant for diaper rash. But it works wonders for me, both to prevent and treat monkey butt and Swamp balls!

Udder balm/bag balm work well to.

The great thing about these products is that they can aide in fire staring to, as they are just like vasoline, and when added to a cottonball or even some natural tinders they have the same effects.

mr. jinchao
04-27-2011, 06:22 AM

Butt to answer your question, I prefer A&D ointment, meant for diaper rash. But it works wonders for me, both to prevent and treat monkey butt and Swamp balls!

The great thing about these products is that they can aide in fire staring to, as they are just like vasoline, and when added to a cottonball or even some natural tinders they have the same effects.

You sir, can balm up you goods, but I use a small bottle of gold bond medicated powder. It is available in small travel bottles and I use it for hiking all the time.

Skab
04-27-2011, 06:29 AM
You sir, can balm up you goods, but I use a small bottle of gold bond medicated powder. It is available in small travel bottles and I use it for hiking all the time.

Too each their own, but powder just makes it worse for me, I sweat too much and it just acts like sand paper.

Joshuajk
04-27-2011, 06:32 AM

thanks man I literally did a search and searched 20 pages LOL but never found it.

Too each their own, but powder just makes it worse for me, I sweat too much and it just acts like sand paper.

this is the exact thing I'm worried about.

mr. jinchao
04-27-2011, 06:33 AM
ahh, I can see why you use the ointment! I sweat, but I just kep adding the powder and try to out run the sweat. Try is the key word here.

Cohutta
04-27-2011, 06:38 AM
I used to get swampass a lot until I switched to Under Armor underwear. Cotton holds moisture against your skin. Synthetics wick the moisture away. I've been wearing them for almost 10 yrs and haven't had a problem.

They are about $20/pair, but I'm still wearing the first pair I bought. The elastic is just starting to get a little scalloped on the top and they are looking thin in a few spots.

Mojoe
04-27-2011, 06:40 AM
I keep a small pill bottle with Chamois Butt'r in it in my pack. It's marketed towards bicycling, but it works great for hiking too.

http://www.rei.com/product/628122/paceline-products-chamois-buttr-8-oz

madmax
04-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Underwear?...i have to google that...
Bag balm good. FL hot. Sweat much.

Trekon86
04-27-2011, 07:43 AM
I used to get swamp nuts really bad, now I don't so much...mebbe I developed callouses? LMAO!
PMZ

glfredrick
04-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I use Gold Bond powder year around. I've found that it helps with cold feet as well as hot and sweaty conditions.

Gold Bond has an anti-persperant ingredient that helps control moisture in similar ways to underarm anti-persperant.

http://www.goldbond.com/

Their hand creme is also really good stuff and about the only thing that will control the permanent dermatitis on my hands. I've tried everything on the market in my efforts to stop the cracking and bleeding and this is the best. Most of the other stuff guys use makes my hands worse because of sensitivity to the ingredients.

ezra45
04-27-2011, 08:16 AM
I wear Patagonia long-leg briefs when hiking; it eradicates the chafing for me.
I carry an extra pair or two and wash the extras as time and water permits on the trail.

Regards,

ezra

nothinghead
04-27-2011, 08:29 AM
A&D is good as well as the monkey butt cream. Never seen a powder before. I use gold bond as a preventative.

Desert Drifter
04-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Simple, common corn starch from the super market is all you need. Great for diaper rash and abrasions.

Yudda
04-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Big guy here from Florida and now the Middle East.

UNDER ARMOUR !

Period .... Nothing else, no powders no cremes.

They dry extremely fast. At the end of the day...I take them off and let everything dry. Bring a pair of under shots or something else to wear, to allow yourself to dry out as well.

Understand... this practice has been developed over years of chafing experience. :)

And yes ive tried cheap "heat gear" shorts from walmart....and it worked but only a few hours....my underarmour works all day long.

ALSO: If you travel, buy the Underarmour shorts with the CUP pocket....you can use the pocket to carry a couple emergency bills and a photocopy of your IDs in there.

Good Luck.

flatrock
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
another under armor user. I take two pair when staying out. One on, one washed (rinsed? ha) and drying. boxer-brief kind. Costly but last, and dry quickly. A little cornstarch is as good as any OTC product to help, but when it gets bad the only thing that works for me is ... this is embarrassing ... Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Diaper Rash Ointment. Everything else burns.
ouch

MJDavis
04-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I wear synthetic boxers and apply some Bodyglide to the area(s) that get easily chafed.

Leif
04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
When I was a few years younger, when leg chaff creeped up, it was time for me to check my weight. Diet better and be more active. I will not end up with a gut.

On another note gold bond is just the best stuff for the feet, underarms, and special places, if your on an extended stay. Sure makes you feel clean and refreshed.

Friartuck
04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I like the Gold Bond. It cools, soothes and give the junk a nice tingly sensation. A&D, petroleum jelly based, is alright too but it doesn't soak in like the cream based products so I find the it makes problems worse the next day. Dryness is what you seek, not greased up.

agglutination
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
This is the strangest thread to me. I've never experienced any of this. I feel bad for you guys.

dwightp
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Baby powder.......instant relief.....easy to pack.

Kd7fhg
04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
When I was a few years younger, when leg chaff creeped up, it was time for me to check my weight. Diet better and be more active. I will not end up with a gut.

On another note gold bond is just the best stuff for the feet, underarms, and special places, if your on an extended stay. Sure makes you feel clean and refreshed.

Plus 1 on that.

I like how you addressed the cause of the problem and not just treated the effects.

Arrowolf
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
This is the strangest thread to me. I've never experienced any of this. I feel bad for you guys.

Guys don't have a monopoly on sweat. Or even chafing. I work outside in the summer in TX when it 100+. I don't care what kind of chromosones you have, hot and sweaty equals itchy and scratchy. But we're not supposed to talk about such things. Which is why they makes Heatgear for us wimmenz too.

BirdDog
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Gold Bond and some long undies. Wife (who is a bigtime baseball fan) calls them my sliding pants. I thought the sweat with the powder would be like sandpaper, not so. Works wonderfully for me.

GrowlingBear
04-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Powder your business, and wear nylons/pantyhose. It worked on long road marches in the army. It may look ridiculous if you wear shorts though.

solocanoe
04-27-2011, 12:00 PM
mid thigh length Jockey mesh trunks are the greatest 'modern' fabric piece EVER! (to me)

literally you can wear a pair for weeks on end if you want...rinse if ya want, they are dry in minutes.... I usually carry only two pair on a trip anymore...there's no need for anything more, the 2nd pair is just backup.

but I still carry a small bottle of Gold Bond - that stuff is awesome for the dogs! (feet!)

joe305
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I like the Gold Bond. It cools, soothes and give the junk a nice tingly sensation. A&D, petroleum jelly based, is alright too but it doesn't soak in like the cream based products so I find the it makes problems worse the next day. Dryness is what you seek, not greased up.

Very true

DancesWithaTrout
04-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Just grab up some actual "Anti-Monkey Butt" powder, great stuff. I learned of it when I was in the BWCA for 3 months.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

MedicineMan68
04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Try some Underarmor Heatgear instead of regular spandex stuff. Pricey but worth it.

Stuff works great. While on a hump (hike) I used to not wear underwear at all and made sure my trousers were a bit baggy (air circulation). Also, a LIGHT dusting of the finest (smallest) grit baby powder works wonders as well as on rest breaks, air out your legs, dry 'em, and dust some more powder just as you would your feet. You can also get "barrier cream" at medical supply stores and drug stores. This stuff is used on bed-bound people to prevent bed sores. It's messy as can be but works great after the hike to provide some relief and prevent against more chafing. Constant and consistent use of baby wipes in conjunction with powder can also be used on friction spots (under arms, crotch) as well as awesome toilet paper... Which helps prevent what one of my Marines eloquently named "Duck Butter" Hope this helps, bro.

Throc
04-27-2011, 01:23 PM

+1 here. I used to have a chaffing problem but now Under Armor Heatgear is the only underwear I wear. Haven't had a chaffing problem yet.

mischief
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Another vote for Under Armor heatgear

mercop
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Deluth Trading Bare Naked briefs are awesome

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dragonjimm
04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
A&d ointment. adding powder just makes a cutting compound plus i work in a dusty/ hot chemical lime plant and the thought of actually applying a powder to any parts of my body gives me a cold chill. also i seem to be allergic to Goldbond

Blazin
04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
I've found Tinactin is extremely effective against this type of chaffing. Along with under armor and a solar shower used daily.

aldankirk
04-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Well first off. I know "monkey butt" might be a touchy subject and if so, please delete from here.

As a larger guy. I have problems while out hiking during warmer weather. My inner thighs chaf really bad to the point where sometimes, embarrasingly I have to walk bow legged. The only thing I could do to get it to not hurt so much would be to wear a tight fitting clothing item under my pants, such as spandex. But the problem with that is it gets really hot and the sweat builds up and then the spandex/tight clothing begins to move around causing more chafing.

I have recently found a product (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/anti-monkey-butt-powder-96235.aspx) and Was wondering if any of you guys have used to to cure this problem. Or, if you know a more natural way without having to put some kind of chemical on your body.

I use Plantain ointment. It works quite well, is all natural, I make it myself, and most important of all, it has a multitude of uses. Not only will it alleviate your monkey butt, it will also work for insect stings, snake bites, and just about any skin ailment. Hell it even works on roids.

Happy foraging

Kirk

NorthernBushcraft
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Ah, the bow-legged walk of the chafed.

I have only had this affliction a couple of times over the years, but it was uncomfortable enough to cause me to wear longer-legged gonch from then on! What doesn't rub doesn't chafe.

Monkey Butt lol :38:

Earl
04-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Try motorcyclists butt waxx. Just google it.

shutternut
04-27-2011, 06:51 PM

We used to get crotch rot so bad in Nam that when we were on stand down we would lay on the roof of the hootch with the Brothers Johnson aimed at the sun. That seemed to be the only thing that killed the bacteria with any reliability. At least it was effective until the day the Donut Dollies came to visit. The CO put an end to that cure.

Under less sodden conditions I still like the Gold Bond. As long as you use it from the get go. If you wait for Monkey Butt :38: to form, it stings like crazy. At least it does for me.

And you are right! This is one strange thread!

Skab
04-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh this is a pretty tame thread, we have had a lot worse!

hoot
04-27-2011, 07:21 PM
lol I dont know how it could be worse

madmax
04-27-2011, 07:23 PM
lol I dont know how it could be worse

Didn't catch the exploding bellybutton thread, huh?

hoot
04-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Nope didnt catch that thread.

brutane
04-27-2011, 07:32 PM

This stuff works pretty good. I've used it the last two summers. They sell it pretty cheap at Wal-Mart and at the local Tractor Supply store.

brossa
04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
For prevention, synthetic wicking boxer briefs like those from Duluth Trading or Ex Officio (I have both, and they are basically the same material but cut differently; the Duluth Trading version has a higher rise). Over the years I have replaced all of my cotton and nonwicking underwear with these; they're expensive individually, but they last much, much, much longer than cotton and don't lose their elasticity.

For areas that aren't in contact with the underwear (butt crack, etc.) Body Glide (http://www.bodyglide.com/) which goes on like a deodorant stick. May have to be reapplied from time to time, but keeps things gliding without friction. Nothing gritty and stands up to sweating.

For treatment of skin irritation, Triple Paste (http://www.triplepaste.com/). I used it to help with my son's diaper rash, and then one day I had occasion to try it on myself - instant relief!

I've also found that some items of clothing seem to promote chafing more than others, due to cut or fabric type or whatever. I had a pair of shorts that I loved the look of, but the inseam hung low and put a big folded seam in just the wrong spot between my legs. I couldn't walk more than a block in those shorts without scraping my inner thighs raw unless I used one hand to reef the shorts up constantly. Into the trash they went.

duckslayer
04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
didnt read all posts, but i use anti monkey butt ---- works wonders

Sav
04-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Compression shorts stop Gorilla Ass....

eebae015
04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I vote for the A & D ointment. Used it extensively while bike riding without the chafing problem.

smokewalker
04-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Gold Bond Powder and soap and water daily, go commando or wear boxers:4:

onidah
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
I used to have occasional problems with this when I was a teenager. I learned that A&D Zinc Oxide cream (or any generic zinc oxide cream/ointment) helped to prevent it from occurring and helped heal it once it did. For many years after that I carried a small tube of it on all backpacking trips, just in case.

I must have grown out of it or perhaps it is because I switched to wearing BDUs rather than jeans (hiking long distances in rain-soaked jeans will usually lead to chafing), but I haven't needed to use any for a long time and stopped carrying zinc oxide around years ago.

I do know that keeping things dry is key to avoiding the chafing, whether that involves looser fitting clothing, under armor, or powders. Once the chafing has occurred, however, the zinc oxide can help heal it and prevent further damage.

I've heard that zinc oxide also makes a pretty good sunscreen, but I haven't tried it.

An earlier post mentioned body glide, a product that goes on like a deodorant stick. That reminds me, don't ever use regular deodorant on raw, chafed thighs. It stings like hell (because of the alcohol in it) and is hard to wash off while trying not to draw too much attention to yourself. I'll never make that mistake again.

I guess while we are airing our dirty little secrets, I'll admit that I also tried wearing nylons on a backpacking trip once to see if they would help prevent the chafing. It sounded good in theory - reducing the friction - but it seemed to make matters worse for me. Perhaps it was due to the difficulty of trying to walk down the trail with the high heels on ..... just kidding! I was actually wearing a nice pair of manly Danner boots and woodland camo BDUs at the time. Don't ask me how I got the nylons. I'll never tell.:27:

PMSteve
04-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Gold Bond Powder and soap and water daily, go commando or wear boxers:4:

The goal is to keep from sweating and thereby stop the chafing. The solution isn't to add layers or block the area with creams or powders but to allow air to circulate and dry the skin. :38:

As Smokewalker said. wash daily, add powder and go commando (ie: without underwear).

wear trousers that allow air circulation or shorts or a kilt! My. Johnson and his 2 boys will be smiling in no time! :4:

mike olson
04-28-2011, 02:22 AM
painfull and it ruins your personality !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike olson
04-28-2011, 02:30 AM
why do you think the scotchs wore quilts ??????????? we need are FREEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Joshuajk
04-28-2011, 02:34 AM
why do you think the scotchs wore quilts ??????????? we need are FREEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

LMAO! I have seriously been thinking about buying one of those utility kilts or what ever they are called that I keep seeing around.

Sealegs
04-28-2011, 02:35 AM
We call it the infantry fire. There is an entire chapter on prevention, treatment and easing of symptoms in one of the field manuals.

If you are reluctant to going commando, the crafty Norwegians have invented this:
http://www.brynje.no/super_thermo_boxer.html

Wicking, insulating and airy all in one. Notice where the reinforced areas are. !

Walking around with your fly open is sometimes a sign of brains rather than the opposite.

shutternut
04-28-2011, 02:41 AM
LMAO! I have seriously been thinking about buying one of those utility kilts or what ever they are called that I keep seeing around.

I've got an even better idea. I've been thinking about going buck nekkid and just lashing some Maxpedition pouches to my legs. I think it would be better than cargo pants and certainly wouldn't lack for air circulation in critical areas.

However, with my long torso and short legs, I'd probably look like the monkey without the monkey butt.

DarbyFett
04-28-2011, 04:39 AM
I used to get swamp nuts really bad, now I don't so much...mebbe I developed callouses? LMAO!
PMZ

You just have a way with words don't ya lol.

I haven't hiked in a long time but im a bigger guy and tight fitting boxer briefs work for me. Not only do they show off what muscles I have left from all my bike riding, they make my...junk look good and keep my thighs from chafing.

BCForager
04-28-2011, 05:22 AM
I used to get swampass a lot until I switched to Under Armor underwear. Cotton holds moisture against your skin. Synthetics wick the moisture away. I've been wearing them for almost 10 yrs and haven't had a problem.

After 10 years, it may be time to take them off and wash them!

I'll have to give these a try. I've tried pretty much all of the recommended powders and ointments, and usually let the boys run free, but sometimes that's not the best option depending on what you're doing.

Arrowolf
04-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Quilts? Or kilts? But if you ain't used to it, it'll chap your ass like sandpaper. One of my rendezvous buds found that out. He turned out in one for the Highland Games then ended up staying in his tent for half the week trying to recover his dignity.

63C30
04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Chamois Butter from the bike store! The recumbent bikes I ride have foam seats that soak up sweat like what they are - a sponge, butt Chamois Butter keeps everything happy and chafe-free. I'm waiting to try my homemade Balm of Gilead, which should work well also. Going butt neked is not an option for me, as I don't want to frighten anyone nor do I want any more flesh exposed to biting insects.

11-Rover
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Mix together 1 part Glycerine to 3 parts Vicks,Yaa that's right,I said Vicks! This concoction Kicks Monkeys Butt!:dblthumb:

63C30
04-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Mix together 1 part Glycerine to 3 parts Vicks,Yaa that's right,I said Vicks! This concoction Kicks Monkeys Butt!:dblthumb:

Urban legend about Vicks in the jock springs to mind.

Colorado Plainsman
04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
I wear compresion shorts and it corrects the problem. It's no FUN. I use hydrocortizone cream at the end of the day and it seems to remedy the problem for me.

KEGMAN20
05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I am walking all day at work and when its hot in the ware house i have aa problem with chaffing and gold bond works for me and i take a small travel size bottle with me when i hike

Saddlemountaineer
05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
My dad retired from a paper mill. He said a few guys used listerine.Burned like hell, but worked.

HoosierArcher
05-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Believe it or not a kilt really helps prevent monkey butt and swamp balls.
Anyhow to get back to the Anti monkey Butt powder I sent a case to Iraq and the Marines that got it thanked me profusely. I got it at Rural King for a decent price. I use Gold Bond for work. As a chef I work in hot humid conditions and as a man losing many pounds of weight I need to be careful of chafing. I use antibacterial wipes, then allow the area to dry. I then apply the Gold Bond and put on the boxer briefs. I also use A&D to heal the condition when it occurs as well as Gold Bond Healing Lotion.

Arrowolf
05-07-2011, 06:44 PM
You can always use some antiperspirant to coat one's nether regions. You won't sweat nearly as much. Degree brand works great. Trust me.

Capt'n
05-07-2011, 07:04 PM
From a fellow Chaffee, there are several contributing factors .... When you sweat salt escapes from your pores. The sweat evaporates, the salt remains. Friction goes way up with the salt on your skin.

You either need to stop the sweat or protect the skin from abrasion.

I use Hydropel, which is vasaline with antiperspirant mixed in, then wear spandex shorts ...

I'm going to give the underarmor a try ....

tiny80022
05-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I love anti monkey butt powder, when i forget to put it on and do develop a rash I heal it with boureauxs butt paste. Its diaper rash cream.

Grey Ranger
10-19-2011, 10:29 PM

Not coming from my bushcraft point of view as much as my ocean Lifeguard point of view, i agree. we have to wear lifeguard shorts (I love my Birdwell Beach Britches) all day, and a lot of the guards who choose to wear more chafing prone shorts of different material choose also to wear under-armour briefs underneath. I dont get that problem as frequently, again because of my awesome Birdwells, but the thing that works the best is Zinc Oxide Ointment. It is the active ingredient in Desitin, the popular diaper rash cream, and in all of the generic brands as well. i say it works better because it lasts a long time, not rubbing off easily. i would say A&D ointment is more effective, but not better, because it does not last as long, and will grease up the inside of your things. i use the A&D at night when i get home, Zinc on the job when im moving around.

KCD1974
10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
x what ever now...but under amour heat gear underwear is awesome.

WestrnBushcrft
10-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Someone said Vasaline works too never tried it...

Bravo Tango
10-19-2011, 11:26 PM
I didn't see posted earlier but honestly I just scanned the last couple of pages. Underarmor, goldbond, babypowder all work, but another key thing is DO NOT hike in bluejeans or denim period.

5.11 makes some great ripstop style material pants that breathe very well...just an example.

bmilla35
10-19-2011, 11:43 PM
It's pretty much guaranteed that if I go to an amusement park in the summertime I will develop chaffage before the afternoon is over. It's awful! The same thing happens at the beach, or when I swim in general. I've only ever tried using gold bond, and it always gets the job done. Some of these ideas on how to PREVENT it are interesting, though.

Trekon86
10-20-2011, 12:16 AM
I have switched from wearing primarily 5.11s to wearing primarily Dickies work jeans. All day, every day. Indoors, outdoors, in the woods, at work, etc...bottom line, is, if you are going to wear jeans, get yourself used to it. Don't just wear them once and complain when you get chafed. Break them in (and yourself in). Build some calluses between your legs.

Sportsmen have been wearing denim and canvas pants for the last 2 centuries. I don't think I'm qualified to argue with their choices;)

PMZ

Bravo Tango
10-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Lol I was mainly referring that for the guys that said they sweat a lot and get swampa**, but okay.

JHartwell
10-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Not coming from my bushcraft point of view as much as my ocean Lifeguard point of view, i agree. we have to wear lifeguard shorts (I love my Birdwell Beach Britches) all day, and a lot of the guards who choose to wear more chafing prone shorts of different material choose also to wear under-armour briefs underneath. I dont get that problem as frequently, again because of my awesome Birdwells, but the thing that works the best is Zinc Oxide Ointment. It is the active ingredient in Desitin, the popular diaper rash cream, and in all of the generic brands as well. i say it works better because it lasts a long time, not rubbing off easily. i would say A&D ointment is more effective, but not better, because it does not last as long, and will grease up the inside of your things. i use the A&D at night when i get home, Zinc on the job when im moving around.

Yep! Same issue as in the USMC. You think woods living is tough on your gear... try adding salt water to the mix... soaked, dried, soaked, etc., for about a week!

mike olson
10-20-2011, 04:14 AM
AXEL GREASE !

iscromain
10-20-2011, 06:30 AM
When I was a kid I was huge, chaffing was a big problem. I remember carrying a cloth drawstring bag that had crystal alum in it. The alum worked as a dessicant to keep that area dry.

Alum can be found in the canning isle. It is used in pickling. It worked for me. Just change the alum every couple of weeks. Don't go swimming with it in your pocket it will dissolve.

quidditchfan
10-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Try rubbing a good quality under arm deodorant like degree down the inside of your thighs this will just about stop you from sweating there apply it as thick as needed.I feel your pain as a 350lb guy I hate the summer when it comes to hiking I wear the bicycle underwear with the long legs, it helps some but the deodorant helps alot.

MATT CHAOS
10-20-2011, 07:50 AM
I use some of the products that the other posters use. I use powder to keep dry but usually sweat through and have to keep applying it. It goes from powder to paste too fast. Bag Balm works get a dab and apply around your nether regions. Going underwareless sometimes helps especially in really hot humid climates.

KCD1974
10-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Sorry, I don't know how I forgot this....But this is the best line of products you can use, it's called Body Glide, I use it in triathlons. It's water proof and goes on like deodorant. It works fantastically well. NO chaffing and if you can jump out of water and ride a bike 17 miles then run a 5k with no chaffing, you won't get any while hiking :-)

Peacelovingirl
10-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Cut some nylons into shorts ( use fabric Glue to stop from running) and sense you are a guy cut out the croch too. And now you have a breathable second skin to prevent chaffing on the inner thighs.... my friend says she does it, never had the problem myself. anyways its not like anyone will know you have pantie hose on but you.

Peacelovingirl
10-20-2011, 08:14 AM
What is monkey butt? never mind I dont want to know...try Corn starch

nothinghead
10-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Sorry, I don't know how I forgot this....But this is the best line of products you can use, it's called Body Glide, I use it in triathlons. It's water proof and goes on like deodorant. It works fantastically well. NO chaffing and if you can jump out of water and ride a bike 17 miles then run a 5k with no chaffing, you won't get any while hiking :-)

I always wondered how triathletes dealt with it. Good to know!!

SkyPainter
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
We used to get crotch rot so bad in Nam that when we were on stand down we would lay on the roof of the hootch with the Brothers Johnson aimed at the sun. That seemed to be the only thing that killed the bacteria with any reliability. At least it was effective until the day the Donut Dollies came to visit. The CO put an end to that cure.

Under less sodden conditions I still like the Gold Bond. As long as you use it from the get go. If you wait for Monkey Butt :38: to form, it stings like crazy. At least it does for me.

And you are right! This is one strange thread!

===> Welcome, Bro! Used to get rot real bad in Nam, until one of the guys sent home for his girlfriends pantyhose, and then cut the legs off mid-thigh to make lightweight undershorts. Even after going Commando for many months, it was a blessing to have a little more support doing the crazy things we did in the jungle! Acted just like a sock-liner would for hiking boots. Fatigues (now called BDUs) would rub against the stocking fabric, NOT our skin!

Was kinda interesting to listen to all these mad-ass killers in my Recon unit debating brands of pantyhose! (L'EGGs vs Hanes vs others...) LOL!

Kinggoat
10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
2nd the Anti Monkey Butt powder and the Buck Naked underware from Duluth Trading Co. I buy alot of clothing from them.

bmilla35
10-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Try rubbing a good quality under arm deodorant like degree down the inside of your thighs this will just about stop you from sweating there apply it as thick as needed.I feel your pain as a 350lb guy I hate the summer when it comes to hiking I wear the bicycle underwear with the long legs, it helps some but the deodorant helps alot.

This would work but make sure it's an anti-pespirant, deodorant just covers up smell. The one that worked best for be when I played football was Mitchum.

Indigo
10-23-2011, 10:22 PM
One more vote for Bodyglide.

I use Bodyglide when I wear skirts or dresses without pantyhose. I hate pantyhose since them make my legs feel like sausages.

I agree with the person who suggested a kilt. Skirts are much cooler than pants or shorts. I have a Macabi Skirt but they also make "men's unbifurcated garment" (http://www.macabiskirt.com/macabi-for-men).

EdD270
10-24-2011, 02:05 PM
If I get monkeybutt I use A&D ointment to fix the problem, and have used gold bond with success, too. Thanks to all for other good suggestions here.
I much prefer to avoid it though. I usually can avoid it by putting on clean, or at least dry, undies at night befor hitting the sack, and again in the morning before hitting the trail. Same with socks, I'll change socks once or even three or four times a day, to keep my feet dry. Undies and socks dry out fast tied to a pack, or hung on a limb.

63C30
10-31-2011, 03:20 PM
I keep a small pill bottle with Chamois Butt'r in it in my pack. It's marketed towards bicycling, but it works great for hiking too.

http://www.rei.com/product/628122/paceline-products-chamois-buttr-8-oz

Been using it for years when riding or hiking. Won't work worth a darn as a fire starter, but you don't want a fire starting down where you'd be using this stuff!

backwoodstrails
10-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Hope this helps!

Sweaty Balls - Fresh Balls - So Fresh...So Dry - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Jy90PDiSA&feature=player_embedded)

DocKelly
11-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Boudreaux butt paste works pretty good or A&D ointment get the 40% not the 15%

Weltz4u
11-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Try this...it works wonders http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Amoskeag
11-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Several years ago I went to the Pocono NASCAR race with some friends and one of the sponsors for the ARCA race cars was Anti Monkey Butt Powder. My buddy said, considering how the winning drivers hawk their sponsors products by drinking Coke, Pepsi, Miller, Lite , or Bud etc.. on camera, Lets hope this guy never wins!:18::o:eek:
Actually the name was so intriguing that I bought some and found it to be pretty good. I now use it a lot for hiking and at work. It doesn't clear up a bad chaffing like Gold Bond, which I use as well but its a good starting point.
Bob

azb
11-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Lose weight.

Wear a kilt.

These two worked for me. No more chafing, no more swamp crotch. I tried all the creams, pastes, powders, spandex underwear, etc. They all help, some of them quite well, but they're all treating symptoms and not the cause. Beware that the spandex underwear create a smell not unlike the smell from a skunk being attacked by a bear. And it only takes about 20 minutes for the smell to get going real well.

In my case my thunder thighs were not compatible with 95 degree 90% humidity and hard work. Another issue is aging. Your skin has less elasticity as you age, and the constant friction and sweat causes the skin to crack. This allows bacteria under the skin layers, causing the issue. Losing weight reduced the amount of flesh involved, and wearing a kilt reduced the amount of sweat. The combination means no more pastes, powders, or pain.

Keep in mind that wearing a kilt is easier if you're; A) Scottish. B) Very secure in your manhood, but that is a subset of A, and C) Are a fairly big and intimidating looking guy. If you have nice legs, most, if not all women will have positive comments. Men may hate, but it's generally because they are insecure and/or not Scottish. I don't blame them for the latter. It's not their fault where they were born.

Az

jettyrat
03-12-2012, 10:07 PM
My experience lies in spending many days surf fishing out of a primitive camp on the Texas coast (big Shell). I have found the best prevention is under armor and the best cure is Preperation H ointment and gold bond the prep h has a substance in it that shrinks the swelling that comes with chafing.

bodhran4me
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
I use, with good results, Johnsons baby powder. No monkey butt is going to drive me bananas!

mommy magic
03-12-2012, 11:06 PM
here is a recipe that i posted along with all the other herbal meds recipes, it great for lots of things larger folk have more rubbing and friction (if i may say for lack of better words) not to mention the sweat gets trapped, witch let me remind ya all that will indeed cause a yeast infection (yes in man or woman). i just copied and pasted but it will work for your monkey butt, chaffing,athletes foot, trench foot yeast infection and on so here it is .......... (by the way this recipe was from a Dr. AND if you look on the military foot powder, its the same ingreiants...........................

my son is in the military, he developed something on his feet like trench foot.his feet would bleed , and his toes where growing together ,he went to the Dr. and the Dr. couldn't do anything for him, so mom to the rescue! lol, i found this recipe and made it up for him and had him use it, hes use to my odd resipes! lol, anyway in 1-2 weeks it was GONE, it works great! i hope you all enjoy this recipe and any other odd recipes i have.:38:

an anti-fungal / anti-yeast treatment 2-tablespoons boric acid.
1-cup cornstarch.

place in a large salt shaker. shake on any area with fungal rash.
makes a great baby shower gift.
some skin rashes are severe enough to take two weeks to heal. also works great on athletes foot.

mommy magic
03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
oh just wanted to add that you can put the mixture in a thin clothed draw sting bag (like a bath tea bag) and just pat/dust it on, so then there be no mess in your kit/bag. small thin ones work great to leave in your shoes as well

WoodsJack
03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Simple, common corn starch from the super market is all you need. Great for diaper rash and abrasions.

Maybe add a dash of baking soda?

Theeagleye92
03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
I was hiking today and had the same problem. And I thought I'd try and bring some baby powder in a plastic bag next time, but the sandpaper comment is making me worry lol

wrbthe3rd
03-13-2012, 12:18 AM
got use a wipe and clean it then use good old diaper rash oitment,works for my big butt.

Grey Ranger
03-13-2012, 12:24 AM
What is monkey butt? never mind I dont want to know...try Corn starch

Its like Dagobah Ass. Not quite as bad though

wulfesinger67
03-13-2012, 12:40 AM
stay dry as possible an i carry powder...not to tought to admit it!

WarDoggy
03-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Its like Dagobah Ass. Not quite as bad though

:ROFL:

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

MiddleWolf
03-13-2012, 03:39 AM
As a medic with the Portland Marathon each year, one of the things I discovered was that runners like to have our aid workers at the various stations hold out Vasoline so they can grab it out of the container and rub it where they're having that problem during the run. Also Google running magazines or sites and see if any furthur info is available. And consider (if chafing under your butt area, going "commando" if needed and prudent.

usmchawk
03-13-2012, 04:50 AM
+1 for BodyGlide. I use it every morning before I work out. When we went to Disney World and the miles of walking, it was terrific!

atvgod82
03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Under Armour boxers and A+D Ointment.

Dree Knife
03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I use Plantain ointment. It works quite well, is all natural, I make it myself, and most important of all, it has a multitude of uses. Not only will it alleviate your monkey butt, it will also work for insect stings, snake bites, and just about any skin ailment. Hell it even works on roids.

Happy foraging

Kirk

How do you make that?

hughewil
03-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Hell people on the trail are lucky I even wear pants, so I go commando and give them some air and sprinkle some gold bond on as needed.

mymindisamob
03-13-2012, 09:23 AM
I sweat profusely and have tried many, many things. Gold Bond is the ticket along with Underarmour for me. UA pulls the moisture away from the skin, but you do need pants that breath or enough room for the moisture to dissipate. Gold Bond has never caused chafing in my experience and all the roofers I know use it for this exact reason. Lotions, balms, etc. just clog pores and cause ingrown hairs for me as well.

Gii shi kan dug
03-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Bushcraft Naked! but watch out for sparks

Bard
03-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I wear a nylon mesh underpant. It glides against my nylon hiking pants. As for monkeybutt, I do a couple of things to avoid it.
1. Make sure you are using sound techniques. There are books and (non-gross) videos about how to take a dump in the woods.

2. Your last wipe should be with a wet-wipe or baby wipe. Those things do a much better job of cleaning up than regular toilet paper.

3. If some irritation occurs, Budrow's Butt Paste or anything with zinc as the main active ingredient can heal you up quickly.

One Legged Josh
03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I am not going to point out specific replies, but I gagged three times reading this thread.....Its like Trek's gross infected belly button thread.:p

EagleRiverDee
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
You all are making me glad I live in Alaska. The only time we get anything we call "Monkey Butt" up here is from snowmobiling when our butts get wet and cold. It doesn't get hot enough or humid enough up here for the other stuff. The UnderArmour Heat Gear sounds like good stuff, though.

Rifleman336
03-13-2012, 01:55 PM
X2!!! A&D clears mine in about 8 hours.