PDA

View Full Version : Know anyone who can refurbish a fine old Gerber A400?

bharen
04-30-2011, 05:08 PM
This is one of Pete Gerber's original designs with a cast aluminum handle and chrome plated blade. I bought this knife back in the late 1970s and actually used it while in the Army. Earlier this week I pulled it out of it's sheath and was heartbroken to see the exposed blade edge has a lot of pitting (I know, I know - believe me I feel worse than anyone). Through use the original rubber coating on the handle has worn away in spots to the aluminum underneath.

Are there any knife makers or refurbishers out there who could take this fine old knife and give it a spruce up? It probably needs to have the edge ground back slightly and re-established, and the handle needs re-coating, hopefully with something tougher than Gerber's original coating.

This is a fine design, and an absolutely ideal knife for general use in the woods. I don't want to see her rust away, I want to put her to work!

Thanks in advance.

Brian

kfgk14
04-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Pictures? Depending on how much you trust yourself in a shop, you may want to buy a belt sander and get some belts from lee valley (220 grit and just double it roughly from there up to the two thousand range) and do the task yourself. It will be some great satisfaction when you use the blade that you restored it.
I wouldn't know who to have restore it. I'm sure that someone on here could do the job wonderfully. Try over at bladeforums too, there are plenty of guys would probably do it for free over there, if you shipped the blade to them. Some of them over there are damn good at it, too.