PDA

View Full Version : 3 night trip menu

1Jesster
05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Ok I'm getting ready for the Hardwoodsman meet and it dawns on me that I haven't been on a multi night camping trip since I was in high school. I am trying to plan my food needs. Anyone willing to post up a menu they might take on a trip like this. Won't be "car camping" but I may be close enough to the car that I could resupply if needed, but I'd like to keep it to being able to pack it all in. Thanks for the input.

Jesster

Andy2112
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Jesseter,

no menu details but i reckon anything you can cook and eat at home will be fine to take with you. Can't beat cooking a steak in garlic butter in a cast iron pan over a nice fire then mopping up the pan juices with a nice slice of crusty bread, mmmmmm.

shutternut
05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
+1 on Andy. If you're close enough to pack in cast iron, you're close enough to load out for a feast.

A couple of us are doing a National Forest two nighter in a couple of weeks. We'll be just off the trailhead about 500 yards (a place we've used before). We will skip the superlight dessicated stuff in favor of steaks, eggs, spuds, etc. We have a well insulated insert that fits Big Alice - just glad I didn't get the short straw to tote it.

Go for the stuff you like and that you know will taste much better in the woods with friends. Bring a little extra 'cause you know how the hungry dogs go from fire to fire hoping for a bit of handout. Kinda like doing the "food stroll" at Sam's Club.

Enjoy your meet up. Post us some pics.

Zengunfighter
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Plenty of bannock mix. good for all meals. You can make a little extra in the morning and have some to snack on all day. bring some maple syrup and butter to go with it. thin it out with lots of water to make pancakes. Thicker for bread/bisquits.
Get 'Ghee' which is clarified butter (look in the international section of the store) it does better without refrigeration.

a stick of pepperoni
a stick of cheese
a small can of tomato sauce.

the peperoni and cheese make a good cold snack with the remnants of your bannock.
Or, with the tomato sauce, can make pizza.

Steak for the first night.

It goes without saying,...bacon....

beef jerky (make it yourself)
noodles and/or rice.
Make up a pot of rice or noodles, with jerky chunks in it while its cooking to rehydrate.

gorp/trail mix. Make your own. good for those in between times.

If you can find them, packets of dehydrated eggs, like 'Ova Easy' are good. make an omlet for breakfast. use them with the rice and jerky to make fried rice

alukban
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Don't forget the plain ol' potato wrapped in aluminum foil.

I have actually packed left overs into double layered, thick aluminum foil packets and frozen them. I then wrap them is some paper towel and within any clothing that I am packing and feast on them the first night by tossing them in the coals like you would a foil-wrapped-potato. It's not ultralight or anything but it works for me. One of my favorites for such a thing are left overs consisting of white sticky rice, diced fried pork (chiccarones), diced tomato and garlic, all mixed together and placed in the foil packet. I bring a lemon along and squeeze it into the bag while eating it "fresh" off the coals. When I am smart, there is a beer fished out of a shallow but very cool creek to accompany it.

You can do some coal cooking with no foil using ripe plantains too (the banana kind and not the weed). Just plop them right onto the coals and turn them over every so often. Cook them until the skin splits and the mushy, sweet plantain oozes out. Split it open length-wise and add butter and brown sugar if you have it. Throw the peel into the fire when you are done - no clean up, very filling and they pack well though not lightweight. By me in NYC, you can get them for 5 for a dollar once they start getting older and sweeter - just the way I like them.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/bankayhoodlum/L1060990.jpg

PS. You could also just bring in a huge submarine sandwhich or a bucket of fried chicken to eat on the first day :36:

J
05-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Firewood is going to be at a premium, so Id bring a twig stove or white gas, etc....Im bringing my twig stove. As far as meals go

Breakfast-
Cliff Bars and Coffee.
Lunch-
Packets of Tuna, cliff bars, salami, almonds, etc
Dinner
Spam and baked Beans
Refried beans dehydrated hamburger, and tortillas
Mac and cheese with tuna

Thats what im doin.....or along those lines(might get creative with the dehydrator). Im gonna bring a Trout or two for Thurs night probably. Foil meals are quick, easy, and no clean up. Just keep in mind the firewood supply with that many people......

Or just make up a huge batch of Terrys Hudson Bay bread and PB&J and thatll do ya.

Adam
05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Iíve been planning a menu for the meet as well. Even though I could haul in the pack mule, I think Iím just going to do easy one-pot meals on my twig stove and bring the alcohol stove along if I get it finished. I really like to cook but since wood will be iffy and honestly Iíd rather just hang out than cook elaborate meals, Iím going the lazy options. Donít have everything finalized and honestly canít remember everything I bought at the store last weekend, butÖ

Breakfast
-Hudson Bay Bread (IA Woodsman/Charles Somers Canoe Base recipe)
-Precooked bacon
-Coffee

Lunch
-Tuna packets
-Cheese crackers/peanut butter crackers
-Salami and flat bread maybe

Dinner
-Pasta/rice/noodles/ramen etc
-Smoked sausage or tuna mixed in

Snacks
-Hudson Bay Bread
-Cheese crackers/peanut butter crackers
-Trail Mix
-Jerky maybe

1Jesster
05-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys. That helps. I was planning on the twig stove and snus can stove as a back up. I'm all about keeping it simple.

RoundBear
05-06-2011, 08:48 PM
My suggestion for breakfast:
Pre cook some canned bisquits at home and store in Zip lock bag. These will keep for a few days.
Purchase some country ham. You will notice that it isn't refrigerated.
potato cakes: instant potatos, instant eggs, minced onion, salt and pepper.
Mix the ingredients well. You want it pretty thick.
Fry in some oil in a skillet.

You can have ham bisquits one morning and tater cakes and ham the next.

Joshmlane
05-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I do lots of backpacking and this is the best kept secret. Dehydrator. Dehydrate spaghetti sauce, cook lean ground beef (I use deer) and dehydrate it, and use ramen noodles. Bout an hour before cook time start re hydrating in a wide mouth nalgene then just heat and eat! Almost any cooked meat or sauce can be carried this way. I also use a lot of deer chile. Just cook at home and dehydrate. If you need any help pm me!

Use one of the fruit leather trays for sauces and tear into small pieces for re hydrating.