PDA

View Full Version : Legal Issues

karlsefni01
05-16-2011, 06:05 PM
We seem to get lots of threads going from time to time about the legalities of carrying knives, firearms, etc. I was just wondering if it would be possible to create a sub-forum where these issues could be addressed. Maybe by providing links to each states laws? Perhaps even having sub forum mods that are LEOs or DNR COs that could address specific questions if the need arose?

Just for example, links such as this:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html

GreyOne
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
My own take is that while members can discuss the legal issues of their own locales, it would be almost impossible to give sound legal advice, unless you have a consulting attorney familiar with the local and state ordinances involved. It would also be likely to bring liability exposure to the forum if we had Mods specifically to help give such advice.

OddTheViking
05-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I could use a resource like that. Having just moved to Iowa, I had to do a little research on gun ownership and knife carrying. Maybe we could build up a sticky thread with answers and links to external resources.

madmax
05-16-2011, 06:37 PM
It would be nice to have a resource like that. However, getting online advice about such serious legal issues like weapons carry is not a good idea. You need professional legal advice to protect yourself. Even then sometimes it turns into a court battle with your $ and freedom(s) at stake.

...see the lawyers have fixed the game... making themselves a necessity.;)

Kd7fhg
05-16-2011, 06:41 PM
My own take is that while members can discuss the legal issues of their own locales, it would be almost impossible to give sound legal advice, unless you have a consulting attorney familiar with the local and state ordinances involved. It would also be likely to bring liability exposure to the forum if we had Mods specifically to help give such advice.

I second what you said GrayOne.
If you can not find what the legal requirements are with regard to what you can carry, or not, in the state you live in, will maybe you should not carry. I would not or will not rely on a fourm for guidance. And I would not want to put the Legal responsabilty on the Mods.

shutternut
05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
+1 on G1. I read the post about the fillet knife. It caused me to research Texas case law and it still boils down to getting legal advice from a qualified attorney in your area. In Texas, we have the state law as a standard, but many municipalities have their own spin on how they enforce the law. Specifically, the Dallas area has some really strange ideas about knives as weapons rather than tools.

Texas also has some overzealous enforcers from the Bar Association. It's very easy to get hassled for practicing law without a license if you even give a written opinion about what the law actually says. We had a case like that recently - not relating to firearms or knives, but the case went to court. I haven't heard the disposition yet.

So, it's probably incumbent on us as individuals to make ourselves aware of local laws and policies. I, for one, do not want to endanger this forum.

[/RANT]
Shutternut, out.

brionic
05-16-2011, 06:54 PM
The suggestion to contact local authorities is sound.

There are also online resources for concealed handgun carry, by state. This one (http://www.usacarry.com/) includes reciprocity maps.

GreyOne
05-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I think that what would be a good idea is to start a thread with a list of links for these sites, so that members can look for their state or area, and then link to a possibly useful site.
Just my opinion, YMMV.

santaman2000
05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
I have found that in the Great State of Michigan a quick call to the state police, department of natural resources (enforsemnet officer), or a local police station can help answer alot of those questions. I have not met a law enforcement officer yet that was not willing to answer such questions.

I'm glad you have had a good experience with your local and state officers. I've rarely had an officer unwilling to answer questions either. My only problem with this approach is the divergence of opinions you get dependent on which officer you ask. When I was still a patrol officer rarely did any two officers even within the same department agree on interpretation. This even in a well trained department.

Regarding internet advise, it's only useful to help locate a good local attorney. We all have opinions but whether we offer them over a cup of coffee in person or in an online forum they are still just our opinions. Get reliable legal advise if it is serious enough to worry you.

Seeker
05-16-2011, 09:24 PM

i agree... Mods, keep doing what you're doing. Posters, do your own research. If you find something, post a link. But the law is strange at times, and an attorney is sometimes a necessary evil.

brionic
05-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I have found that the best source of local info is either state Attorney General's office or County/City Attorney. When you call the AG's office and ask a specific question of this nature, you get connected to a Deputy or Assistant AG who is authorized to give you a specific legal answer, and may in fact be the guy who is responsible for prosecution.

Info desks at PDs are sort of a mixed bag. Some are great.

The LEO has a great deal of discretion in the field, "depending". Don't make yourself look like a troublemaker and you shouldn't have any problems as long as you aren't involved in criminal activities, aren't out after closing time, and your vehicle tags are current.

Jason
05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
We are not in business of providing legal advice and cannot verify the credentials of those willing to provide it. Do your own research if you want to stay out of jail.

smokewalker
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
For those seeking information on Knife laws in there state ave a look here http://home.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm