PDA

View Full Version : CVA knife.

Colorado Plainsman
05-29-2011, 05:40 PM
I traded some stuff I didn't need anymore for a Knife at a blackpowder shoot yesterday. It has a mark of CVA and it looks like a bird or a mountain above the CVA. I know they make blk powder rifles but not sure if they make knives. If anyone has some knowledge could you fill me in, quality, age, and orgin of steel. I looked on the net couldn't find much on it. Sorry about the crappy pic. Thanks CP

Colorado Plainsman
05-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Sorry forgot to add the pic that might help.

snakedoctor
05-29-2011, 05:47 PM
CVA is Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and was an an importer of reproduction muzzleloading guns. Mostly Spanish, if I am remembering correctly. In 1997, some serious problems arose with some of their rifles causing a massive recall and in 1999 Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and now operates under the trade name of Connecticut Valley Arms and/or CVA.

Anyway, the knives were sold as an adjunct to their long guns and pistols for reenactors. CVA, along with Navy Arms Val Forgette (sp?) worked thru Dixie Gun Works Turner Kirkland (Union City Tennessee) to market modern blackpowder as a hobby and a sport. I remember these knives being sold thru Dixie back in the 1970's I think. Turner is no longer with us but there is excellent "corporate memory" there because he involved his entire family in the business and I believe they still manage and operate it. Ask them.

Allot of kit knives!

Trail Dust
05-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I remember building some of the CVA knife kits back in the late 1970's (thereabouts). There were a couple three different models available, from what I can remember.

Of the CVA knife kits, I most remember the Green River Knife Kit. The blades were made by J. Russell & Company, Green River Works. The quality of these blades were very high and they were a real bargain for just a few bucks. I believe the steel was good ole' 1095.

Your knife looks most like the Green River Knife from what I can see.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/5813/cvaknifeinfo1.jpg

Colorado Plainsman
05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help fella's.

GreyOne
05-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes, indeed, those CVA kit knives were some good stuff. I still have an Arkansas Toothpick style , with a wooden sheath, somewhere around here.

They were very popular with the blackpowder shooters in the 70's and 80's. Fine kits.

snakedoctor
05-29-2011, 08:19 PM
I remember building some of the CVA knife kits back in the late 1970's (thereabouts). There were a couple three different models available, from what I can remember.

Of the CVA knife kits, I most remember the Green River Knife Kit. The blades were made by J. Russell & Company, Green River Works. The quality of these blades were very high and they were a real bargain for just a few bucks. I believe the steel was good ole' 1095.

Your knife looks most like the Green River Knife from what I can see.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/5813/cvaknifeinfo1.jpg

Im glad you said that! I keep seeing the Green River Camp Knife with a false edge!

Buffalo37
05-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Great little knife...CVA camp knife kit...it's a Green River blade...had one a long time ago but it has since gone AWOL....wish I had it back

bushwolf
05-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Thats a Russel Green River that was sold by CVA, probably as a kit, they had their own mark put on the blade.