PDA

View Full Version : Thread Deletion

Guyon
06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
My suggestion is to not delete threads without any explanation.
I was following a 16-page thread about sharpening Becker knives.
This was the thread URL: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37267
There was a lot of good sharpening advice contained therein, even with some of the controversy.
It disappeared. Poof. Like it never occurred. At least I can't find it.
If it is gone, what a waste of time for those involved.

Sgt. Mac
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
It was deleted by the individual who started the thread. Which is his prerogative

Guyon
06-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the explanation.
The deletion seems a little selfish then, but at least it wasn't a moderating issue.
I appreciate the quick note.

petrifiedwood
06-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I hadn't noticed it disappearing, but if it has, it's probably because it went in a direction that isn't consistent with a smoothly running forum.

EDIT:

Nevermind, question answered.
:)

Guyon
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I hadn't noticed it disappearing, but if it has, it's probably because it went in a direction that isn't consistent with a smoothly running forum.

Just to clarify. Is the modus operandi on this board to delete offending threads? Or simply lock them?

DancesWithaTrout
06-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I deleted it and it was going in a wrong direction with the same over and over and over questions and answers...... There was no selection for close. I did save it and can email the thread to those that want it, just send me a PM with your email addy. Not at all selfish...this forum is better than the direction it was taking.

Guyon
06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry, I said selfish because a board is bigger than one person IMO. All those people who took the time to post now have nothing to show for it should they want to revisit those ideas. Its a personal preference, but I'd rather see free exchange of ideas, with offending threads locked (a judgment call made by moderators), rather than deletion/censorship when something gets a little uncomfortable to one, or a few, members. That's just my take. YMMV.

ETA: Thanks for the offer to email. I think I'd read most of the thread by the time of deletion, however.

petrifiedwood
06-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Just to clarify. Is the modus operandi on this board to delete offending threads? Or simply lock them?

I'm not the one to ask, but in my experience very few things have ever disappeared. Generally only unabashed spam gets vaporized. Some threads may be locked if they go south, but are still viewable for the valuable info they may contain.

Guyon
06-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm not the one to ask, but in my experience very few things have ever disappeared. Generally only unabashed spam gets vaporized. Some threads may be locked if they go south, but are still viewable for the valuable info they may contain.

Got it. Thanks. I'll admit I only drop into this board occasionally, and so this matter just raised a question or two about moderation. I appreciate the response.

DancesWithaTrout
06-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Dear Lord... it was NOT uncomfy........just people whinning about the same thing over and over...the answers were furnished in the first two pages, after that... it was beating a dead horse. Desenting/Assenting opinions are fine, I do not care about those.

Like I said, I saved it with NO censorship in the save. Just many people had much better things to do than to read the same things being said on and on and on....all because people did not read the whole thread. There was no reason to keep it going like it was...

joe305
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I deleted it and it was going in a wrong direction with the same over and over and over questions and answers...... There was no selection for close. I did save it and can email the thread to those that want it, just send me a PM with your email addy. Not at all selfish...this forum is better than the direction it was taking.

Man that sucks...It started out pretty good....I have not been back to it in a couple days....It always amazes me how things get out of whack on a thread....and that not just on this forum...Even on a Boa Constrictor(Herp) forum I'm a member of it happens too...Well I hope you got that thing sharp in the end....

Jason
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM

We do what we feel is necessary based on the situation. I can appreciate that you are an advocate of free exchange of information and anti-censorship but the owners will not allow the forum to be soiled with trash and nonsense. When forums do not exercise appropriate housekeeping we feel it actually detracts from the free exchange of useful information, mostly because people come to argue and insult rather than participate in a useful manner.

Iz
06-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I got a dumb question not really related to this at all.:o
How does one "save" a thread?
That could come in dang handy if I could have a thread on my comp instead of having to come here, log in and go to my subscribed threads.

SlayerOfBunnies
06-08-2011, 01:06 PM

That's cool of you to offer to email. Is there any chance of posting the pics of the BK2(s) and BK7(s) in this thread or some other (or via email - whatever is best) once you have access to your camera? Several of us were keenly interested in those stamps that seemed non-standard.

If not, that's fine too - just thought I'd ask.

vermillion8604
06-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Yea I would also like to see the knives in question... Not to prove anyone wrong or anything just curious If you actually got seconds, fakes, or an actual production knife.

DancesWithaTrout
06-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Iz, I just copied, then cut & pasted to an email to myself... it saves the pics and everything intact. I have done that for a few threads of forum members as they come in handy when I do not have a internet connection, but saved the email to my system. Especially on How To's... where I fdo not want to waste paper and just use the lap top to view the instructions and stuff.

LOL folks are even carrying it on here... dear lord....the whole thing is, I do not care if they are real, fake, 2nds or whatever... I JUST DO NOT CARE. END OF STORY. I know that seems insensitive to some folks and Becker Fans, but so be it. I will stick to what I know works for ME.

Guyon
06-08-2011, 02:22 PM
We do what we feel is necessary based on the situation. I can appreciate that you are an advocate of free exchange of information and anti-censorship but the owners will not allow the forum to be soiled with trash and nonsense. When forums do not exercise appropriate housekeeping we feel it actually detracts from the free exchange of useful information, mostly because people come to argue and insult rather than participate in a useful manner.

Roger that. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

vermillion8604
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Iz, I just copied, then cut & pasted to an email to myself... it saves the pics and everything intact. I have done that for a few threads of forum members as they come in handy when I do not have a internet connection, but saved the email to my system. Especially on How To's... where I fdo not want to waste paper and just use the lap top to view the instructions and stuff.

LOL folks are even carrying it on here... dear lord....the whole thing is, I do not care if they are real, fake, 2nds or whatever... I JUST DO NOT CARE. END OF STORY. I know that seems insensitive to some folks and Becker Fans, but so be it. I will stick to what I know works for ME.

I really don't care if you like them or not...to each his/her own, I'm just curious to see if SMKW actually buys 2nds and what not because I have been contemplating on whether or not I should do business with them. If I buy something from them I want the real thing not a 2nd or a fake.

petrifiedwood
06-08-2011, 02:59 PM

I just go to "file" at the top of my browser window and "save page as". This saves the entire page. Of course, if it's a multi page thread you'd need to save each page separately.

GreyOne
06-08-2011, 05:12 PM
There is a tool called PDF Creator that is an add on for Firefox. With it, any html page can be saved as a PDF. Just a suggestion for those who care about saving some of the tutorials.

Just a comment on the original question, if the Moderators do ever delete a thread, there will be no explanation , simply because there is no place to put such without reopening the whole problem.(If you think this has happened, you might PM a Mod and ask.) It is very rare for non spam threads to be deleted, though, and when it happens you can presume there was a reason the Mods felt it was necessary. The owners are kind of particular about making sure we have a good reason for what we do. :)

fire steel 703
06-08-2011, 05:23 PM
wow... even when individuals disagree here its polite. not that it shouldn't be that way but it is much different than most of the other forums i belong to. which is why i post sooooo infrequently on them. its a nice change of pace.

joe305
06-08-2011, 05:46 PM
There is a tool called PDF Creator that is an add on for Firefox. With it, any html page can be saved as a PDF. Just a suggestion for those who care about saving some of the tutorials.

Yeah...great tool I've used it for years.....they also have an add on that you can use with youtube and you can download the videos you like(Ray Mears:4:) and watch them whenever....

Chris P. Bacon
06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I just go to "file" at the top of my browser window and "save page as". This saves the entire page. Of course, if it's a multi page thread you'd need to save each page separately.

You can also change the amount of posts shown on a page, under..
User CP, Edit Options, number of posts shown per page

petrifiedwood
06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
You can also change the amount of posts shown on a page, under..
User CP, Edit Options, number of posts shown per page

Yep, I already have mine set to maximum. ;)

Lerch
06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I like to go to the thread tools button and click show printable version. Then in that just click to display all replys on one page. This gives the conversation without the menus or bloated. Sometimes I just do this to make reading a long thread easier to get through. You can then just do a file save and get the contents of the convorsation saved and handy. If this doesn't make sense let me know I'llll try to clarify. :D

Iz
06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. The pdf thing sounds cool, I usually want to save threads with images so that should do 'er up good.
Thanks again.:dblthumb:

pure_mahem
06-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Been there and thought about it just couldn't bring myself to do it because the good info in the first couple pages couldn't be found anywhere else that I could find. But I agree it's your perogitive. Glad you saved it for those who are interested.

+1 to you!

SlayerOfBunnies
06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
So that's a 'no' on the pictures then? If that was already answered in the other thread, I didn't see it before the thread was deleted.

Old Philosopher
06-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Related question:
I thought that once a thread had replies in it, even the "owner" (original thread starter) couldn't delete it. I tried to delete a thread I started that covered an existing topic, and couldn't find the option. I thought I read in the FAQs that a thread could only be deleted by Mods, once a conversation started.
Just asking.......

Sgt. Mac
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes OP per the Original Posters request

Leif
06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
The OP's questions and concerns have been addressed on this one.

Lets move on.