PDA

View Full Version : I made the dogs packs today

DancesWithaTrout
06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
A couple of months ago when Spotter, my boxer mix dog was small, I made a dog survival kit I would carry as a waist pack for him. Now, I bought a dog pack that Spotter can carry his own stuff when we are out antler hunting or just getting out and about.

This is what I have in his pack:
1 - lighted collar (battery lasts 250 hours - 1 led on the collar) - with our name, addy, phone and his name on it. We also have Spotter & Jake chipped. Jake has the exact same pack set up for him.
1 - lighted leash
2 - lbs of dry dog food - vac sealed
20 - small milkbone treats - vac sealed
8 - Mainstay water 6oz pouches
1 - Door plaque that notifies S&R that the dog is with us, peel & stick.
1 - First aid kit for pets and a book for pet first aid
1 - polar fleece orange vest blanket - worn as a vest but will open to a square blanket so he has something to lay on
1 - set of emergency foot covers
1 - set of small rawhide leather chew bones
1 - small pop up, foldable tent carrier - folds to 12"x12" (then to a round roll about 4" dia) and opens to 28"x18"x18", not meant to carry in or keep fully secure, it is just a home away from home for Spotter
2 - small foldable canvase water & food dishes
1- flea & tick treatment
1 - 6oz plastic bottle Bio degradable soap for dogs with flea n tick agent
1 - pack of 4 Doggie Downers to calm spotter down in an emergency

This is the pack:

From Pine Creek Outdoors

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/ohiohikingstick/spotterpack.jpg

MJDavis
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Nice, what is the total weight?

brionic
06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
You might consider adding some latex gloves in case you need to wash him due to contact with poison ivy. Our little guy used to roll in poison oak, and the oil would coat his fur and find its way back to us. No fun!

donk
06-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Good job, great idea. Let us know how he does carrying this in the long run. I think my Rotty could carry a good amount, but I think he'd freak! Sounds like you're well prepared!
Well done, Donk.

DancesWithaTrout
06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Nice, what is the total weight?

I just weighed it and was just at 8.7 lbs. Easily managable for both dogs. I could lighten both up by taking half the water and food out out...but I would rather them have it all avail, than not.

Spotter has been wearing it all morning, kind of showing it off LOL Jake was kind of bored with it, but he is bigger than spotter, so he can handle his as well. Jake just wanted to lay on the porch and let spotter be the model LOL

I do carry latex gloves in my FAK, but good idea to get it in the dog pack. The dog soap is Ivy removing.....lucky dogs, they do not get ivy or oak poisoning....

The next time we go out antler hunting, they both will be wearing their packs.

bigfoot
06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Awesome setup! Have a dog "BOB" here (gets used when traveling or on road trips, too). But a dog pack is something we need to work on. Our 95 lb. GSD should be able to carry his own water and stuff. Thanks for the inspiration!

overlord_eric
06-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Nice work, I think my dog would go manic if he knew he was carrying food, just run in circles trying to get to his back.

DancesWithaTrout
06-21-2011, 03:12 PM
NOTE: Neurotic dogs make the best antler hunters... it calms them down so much it is almost like doggie ludes....

This is my "Anter Dogs" post... check it out... great hobby and as I just found out 2 days ago, the antlers (crown sheds) are worth a lot of money to knife and gadget makers. I was able to sell/trade to make $633 and turned that into two (2) custom knives from a forum member here :4:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36704

SC_Dave
06-21-2011, 05:21 PM
His kit is better than some peoples! Good job.
David

econnofoot
06-21-2011, 05:43 PM
I've managed to get my Weimaraner to do about 5 lbs, generally her food and some additions to FAK if she has an issue, maybe a box of .22lr, collapsible bowl/basin things. It took some time to get her use to it. I grab the dog pack now she goes crazy.

Grats on the boxer mix, I love boxers were my dog all my life till I got this Weim.

DancesWithaTrout
06-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Both spotter and jake took to them just fine, jake got bored because we were not in the woods. Spotter gets happy just doing any thing.

pure_mahem
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
In this warm weather your gonna want to pay closer attention to them for signs of overheating. Not so much an issue when you in the cool parts of the woods but when your in the open fields and sun it can become an issue. I'ld add a pair of tweezers not necessarily in there pack but close at hand to you for removing ticks. Might add a backup length of paracord for a emergency leash/color cause you never know. A ten foot piece would be more than enough.

My dog loves his pack too! has a 3x3 foot piece of car sunscreen with a fleece blanket sewn to on side he uses to lay on under my hammock.

Dogs can safely carry no more than 15% of there own body weight. Just keep that in mind. That includes the weight of everything, including the pack and color. Just something for you all to keep in mind. Some of those packs are just like laying an insulated blanket over your dog, that's why I mentioned the over heating thing and watching for signs. Excessive panting, walking real slowly and wandering walk, like a drunk person. If it's hot I take my dog to the river for a swim he loves it.

DancesWithaTrout
06-21-2011, 07:13 PM
We use advantix tick meds.....they tend not to get on them. I always water the dogs when we are out, now they get to carry their own :)

pure_mahem
06-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Eat sure frees up some room in your own pack don't it?

Adam
06-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Very cool. My little dude, Moose wasn’t to hip on his pack at first, but now he gets excited when he sees it. He knows what time it is then!

Not sure on the contents of your FAK, but I went to the farm supply store and bought a few of the self-adhesive horse wrap bandages. The rolls are about 4” wide, so for some of them, I cut them in half while still on the roll. For a cut or wound, you can just apply a clean dressing and wrap the area, no tape required but can be added if needed. I keep these to use on myself as well for an emergency.

I also keep a container of Quick-Stop coagulant powder that you use if you cut your dog’s nail too short. If he were to damage a nail and it started to bleed, that might help with bleeding.

I also have started keeping a contractor bag cut down the sides in Moose's pack. If we're out and it's wet, I call him over and get it out of his pack to use as a ground sheet for me to lay my pack on and it gives him a dry place to lay as well.

Ah, aren’t dog’s great companions. Mine still has a lot of puppy left in him, but he’s a woodsbum through and through.

DancesWithaTrout
06-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, it free's up me having the belt bag on me....

I love having Jake and Spotter out with me, the whole hunting for antlers thing has really been a good thing to do as they feel they are doing something good and useful and I get the cash rewrds when I sell the antlers.

The pack I have, has water proof liners in it. I keep the large gauze rolls in the FAK and I do have Clotting meds in there.

Biggest issue so far with the packs are when the dogs go hunt antlers, they get stuck on a stick or limb caught under the pack, but they both will bark when that happens so I know to come free them.

I always keep a cpl trash bags on me in both my day bag and my PSK.

pure_mahem
06-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Do you ever find any Moose Antlers?

DancesWithaTrout
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
No Moose here, I am in ohio, all we have found is White Tail Deer and wild boar tusks... BUT... No matter where I take them, they can find any kind of antlers...especially if I have a sample and let them play with it a bit.... When I go back home to Montana, I am going to have them look for Mule Deer, Elk and Ram horns.....

They come back with rib, skulls and leg bones all the time, just have to re-enforce what they are looking for with an antler that you can scratch or file some material off of.

You can train them to look for almost anything though. I have a friend that trains dogs to find soda pop cans to help clean up the parks along the water ways, streams, hills and places hard for a person to get to. LOL