PDA

View Full Version : Another store item idea

wildernut
06-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I was browsing through the Outfitters store and notice there isn't a water filtering device offered.

How about the Aquamira Frontier Pro Ultralight Water Filter. Seems like a good emergency filtration device that might fill a need. Its compact and relatively inexpensive.

Just a humble suggestion.

Thanks

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dC7CgJcZL.jpg

Guy
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
If folks are interested, we can certainly carry it. We are still trying to flesh out what folks want to purchase.

OddTheViking
06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Wow, that's cheap! I assume it's disposable?

Guy
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow, that's cheap! I assume it's disposable?

Its good for 50 gallons I think. I have been carrying the regular one for about 3+ years. I have used it a few times, and just let it dry out and it is good to go.

I have been meaning to get the pro because you can screw it to a coke bottle and invert it to get your water.

solocanoe
06-28-2011, 08:29 PM
yes, I've got 3 or 4 of them stuff around bags and one in my ditch kit / psk.

as Faol said...mine is the older model, but I like 'em. well, past the first drag of water I like 'em :)

nice emergency item.

mainewoods
06-28-2011, 11:55 PM
would be nice to add to My day pack ! I would pick one up!

vermillion8604
06-29-2011, 12:29 AM
I would be interested also, probably would purchase a few myself.

HoosierArcher
06-29-2011, 12:32 AM
How much do the Pro models go for?

8thsinner
06-29-2011, 02:37 AM
You can get it for 12 dollars not including post, thats about £7.50
Or in the UK it goes for about £22......22,
WTF
Yeah anyway

Zepoll
06-29-2011, 03:20 AM
If folks are interested, we can certainly carry it. We are still trying to flesh out what folks want to purchase.

I have a wishlist going at Amazon.com. I wonder how many others on here have one as well. You could post a forum, and we could all paste our links.. that might give you an idea of what would sell here. If there were items (or categories of items) that we all have in common.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

drewhelean
06-29-2011, 05:19 AM
I would be interested in something like this as well.

wildernut
06-29-2011, 07:46 AM
You can get it for 12 dollars not including post, thats about £7.50
Or in the UK it goes for about £22......22,
WTF
Yeah anyway

You may be thinking of the cheaper model, the Frontier Pro goes for around $20. Still cheap enough for what you are getting IMO. The pro allows you to connect to soda bottles, water bladders and can be used as a gravity filter.

The cheaper one I think is pretty much used as a straw for drawing directly from water sources.

Guy
06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I have a wishlist going at Amazon.com. I wonder how many others on here have one as well. You could post a forum, and we could all paste our links.. that might give you an idea of what would sell here. If there were items (or categories of items) that we all have in common.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Sounds good. I will create a "Wishlist" thread in the BCO vendor sub-forum, just to keep it in that realm required of all vendors.

Thanks.

EDIT: There is a "Suggestion" thread already in the BCO sub-forum, so you can just put your stuff there.

Torakka
06-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Those were just tested in one respected magazine here, among many other water purifier gadgets and sadly, they didnt pass even near, through Finnish healthy regulation demands. Surely they pured the water a bit but officially they left regular water found from our forest, too dirty to drink officially.

I have been drooling for several years, to buy one but that result was disappointment to me since the item itself, is way cool with its simple construction and small size.

There was also one popular water purifier tablet in the test. The package says its the most effective of all,but according to official test lab´s results, the only change in water was that it turned from un-healty water to still unhealthy AND bad tasting plus stinking :4:

DancesWithaTrout
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I would buy 3-4 from Outfitters for sure, the pro model that is.

xj35s
06-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Katadyn hiker, hiker pro, or base camp. PLEASE!!!!

pure_mahem
06-30-2011, 03:12 AM
I'm surprised I haven't worn out the memory on my computer bookmarking all the stuff I want to purchase!

8thsinner
06-30-2011, 04:22 AM
You may be thinking of the cheaper model, the Frontier Pro goes for around $20. Still cheap enough for what you are getting IMO. The pro allows you to connect to soda bottles, water bladders and can be used as a gravity filter.

The cheaper one I think is pretty much used as a straw for drawing directly from water sources.

Nope, that was infact the same model PRO, on the first site I checked you had to go looking for postal prices and that cost about 10 dollars extra, not too bad if your buying other stuff too though.
Either way if it didn't rate too highly in the test mentioned above would people still want it?

Torakka
06-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Nope, that was infact the same model PRO, on the first site I checked you had to go looking for postal prices and that cost about 10 dollars extra, not too bad if your buying other stuff too though.
Either way if it didn't rate too highly in the test mentioned above would people still want it?

;)

Why bother, rating it,at all. Since we´re living in another country and our regulations are different maybe than yours. I only meant that i wouldnt buy it anymore,as it clearly dont do the trick as well as i expect. But thats my personal preference.

wildernut
06-30-2011, 07:25 AM

It didn't rate highly in a test by a "respected Finnish magazine" is hardly definitive.

One bad rating on the internet does not mean a product is questionable.

I'd like a link to that site that has them for $10, the MSRP is $24.99.

From the manufacturer's site:

The Frontier Pro™ ultralight water filter provides all the benefits of a larger bottle filter in a compact size. Straw style filter attaches directly to water bottles or bladders and attached cap keeps mouthpiece clean. Flexible “Integrated Strap Grip” secures cap to filter when not in use and allows for easy cap removal. Bite valve can also be removed to use as hanging drip filter. Replacement pre-filters lengthen filter life. Filters up to 50 gallons.

Miraguard™ Antimicrobial Technology suppresses the growth of bacteria, algae, fungus, mold and mildew within the filter media. Miraguard™ does not protect users against food borne or disease causing bacteria, viruses, germs or other disease causing organisms.
• Antimicrobial
• Removes Giardia, Cryptosporidium and E. Coli
• Ultralight and Compact
• Portable and Easy to Use
• No Wait Time

If it was tested to do something other than what it claims to do then it is not unreasonable for it to have failed. McNett doesn't claim it will filter fresh water out of raindeer poop :4:.

Still interested.

S3ymour
06-30-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm surprised I haven't worn out the memory on my computer bookmarking all the stuff I want to purchase!
Amen to this lol.