PDA

View Full Version : New Wetterlings Scout Hatchet

coloradowildman
07-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Looks like Wetterlings has a new hatchet called the "Scout Axe" (http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Wetterlings%26reg%3B/Wetterlings%C2%AE+15%22+Classic+Scout+Hatchet/SAW174.html) that appears to be a reproduction of something they sold in the 1950s to Boy Scouts. Anybody here familiar with them?

upthecreek
07-05-2011, 09:41 AM
isn't that cool!

Leif
07-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Looks like a nice one.

samthedog
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Looks good, but the grain alignement of the handle is terrible. It's perpendicular to the blade. Whoever made that handle should be flogged.

Paul.

whiskersnitch
07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
That looks pretty cool... The grain does look bad, though. But, the size of the head makes it almost worth making it hawk-like, you know? Just fashion your own handle, give it some character... Whisper sweet nothings into it's poll...

upthecreek
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Looks good, but the grain alignement of the handle is terrible. It's perpendicular to the blade. Whoever made that handle should be flogged.

Paul.

With only 15 inches of wood, if you break it, I bet it will not be the woods fault.
Creek :42:

samthedog
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
With only 15 inches of wood, if you break it, I bet it will not be the woods fault.
Creek :42:

That all depends on how tight the wood is in the eye and how big the eye is for that matter. You rarely break an axe handle in the middle, usually at the head / handle union. Even with 15 inches you can get decent leverage / torque on a handle.

Paul.

brionic
07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
That all depends on how tight the wood is in the eye and how big the eye is for that matter. You rarely break an axe handle in the middle, usually at the head / handle union. Even with 15 inches you can get decent leverage / torque on a handle.

Paul.

Yes, I busted the helve of my second hatchet; yes, it was undoubtedly my fault; yes, it was due to a combination of bad wood and poor technique.

Haven't split one since, so hopefully I have learned my lesson(s),

Sealegs
07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Had one of the originals. Good learning axe, good beater.

This made it more difficult for me to decide on a good axe for my 5yr old. :P

rg598
07-06-2011, 07:40 AM
I don't think they are new. Wetterlings has been making this line all along, they are just not sold in the US. Once GB came out with their new design, Wetterlings followed and we got the axes we know today. Up until they redesigned their website, they had both lines listed. These ones are drop forged (according to them). They look to be their lower cost (lower quality) line. I don't see them any more on the website, so it could be that they have stopped production of these models all together and are selling off inventory.