PDA

View Full Version : Strop compound?

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
What's a good type of stropping compound? And also where can I get it at a cheap price? Wal-mart, Lowes?

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Anyone?

Trekon86
07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Plain white toothpaste works in a pinch, as does valve grinding compound.

Course, then your strop smells like either mint or oil:)
PMZ

brionic
07-06-2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stropping+compound&x=0&y=0

http://www.jreindustries.com/compounds.htm

Forget Lowes and Home Depot. Nobody there even seems to know what "stropping" means.

One oldtimer pointed out "These kits are for sharpening." I felt like he was saying "These go to eleven."

kankcamping
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I got mine at lowes, Just ask someone where the buffing compound is.

Explain to them that they are like huge crayons, the selection should be by the power tools. They have black(1-2microns) and green(.5 micron) compound.

Each one is like 4 or 5 bucks

brionic
07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
OK, that makes sense and suggests this riddle:

Q: What do you need to get a job at Lowes in Iowa City?
A: A nametag and a PhD in Philosophy

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Lol, what section at lowes is it at?

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Oh I forgot to ask, which side of leather is best to use, the rough side or smooth side? I been getting shaving sharp results for years with my methods, but I am trying to speed it up a bit with a strop.

Branm008
07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
The compounds should be near the power tools, not sure though. Havent checked but i plan on it next payday, i need some compound for my strop as well.

But i would suggest the smooth side from what i hear, you heat up the leather then put the compound on and its good to go. Not entirely sure though, might want to check with someone else on that.

-Brandon

The Warning
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I've just been using plain school chalk.

Polishes the edge nicely.

VtBlackDog
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
knivesshipfree.com has it; and hones also......black is corse, green is fine.:4:

Timothy
07-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Sears also usually stocks buffing compounds for about $2 a stick.

kornphlake
07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
The cheapest and easiest source for real stropping compound is harbor freight. They sell it as polishing compound, I realize every store is laid out a bit different, but at my local store if you're looking at circular saw blades or forstner bits, turn around, trip over that belt sander you were thinking about buying to make knives and on the shelf about eye level are a half dozen different colors of polishing compounds. I think I paid about $3 for the green compound that I use, I can't remember if I used a 20% off coupon or not.

d37fan
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I picked mine up at Harbor Freight. They have a few other grades as well. They also have an assortment of buffing wheels.

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
What about 3M perfect-it III extra cut rubbing compound. It's used to buff out scuff marks on cars. I have a huge bottle of it. Will that work?

joe305
07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I get mine from ACE Hardware...The brand I think is called "DISCO" you have to look at the package info...they have two dif. types each with coarse, med and fine the one you want is the set that is specifically for "ferrous metals" which works on the high carbon blades...the other kind is specifically for Stainless steels...Im not at home but ill post the correct type when I get back home....each are like three bucks......oh and use the smooth side of the leather

randyt
07-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I use a product called "mothers mag wheel polish"

Beo-wulf
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Oh I forgot to ask, which side of leather is best to use, the rough side or smooth side? I been getting shaving sharp results for years with my methods, but I am trying to speed it up a bit with a strop.

The which side to use debate seems to run about 50% for smooth and 50% for ruff.

I am on the smooth side. Men I respect use the ruff side. Try em both and use what works for you.

Jedd
07-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I use a product called "mothers mag wheel polish"

I also use this one, got mine at Walmart.

Jedd

nothinghead
07-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I use the green crap that has been mentioned before, but mine came with a Dremel polishing tool kit. Same stuff just different brand name. I use the rough side of a Tandy scrap.

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Ok just got back from lowes, I found the white and green compounds for 2.98 a piece. Bought them both, they were made by porter cable, or atleast thats the brand. Next I need to find some leather strops :)

blkbd
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
The cheapest and easiest source for real stropping compound is harbor freight. They sell it as polishing compound, I realize every store is laid out a bit different, but at my local store if you're looking at circular saw blades or forstner bits, turn around, trip over that belt sander you were thinking about buying to make knives and on the shelf about eye level are a half dozen different colors of polishing compounds. I think I paid about $3 for the green compound that I use, I can't remember if I used a 20% off coupon or not.

That what I use and got mine at HF, And I use the ruff side of the leather as it was a old belt and the smooth side was stamped with designs.

8thsinner
07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
I once heard that candle soot ranged about 30,000 grit on the sharpening scale, which ever scale that was I do not know.

But according to this article
http://www.lead.org.au/lanv7n4/L74-9.html...
"Particulate emissions exhibited the physical and chemical characteristics of soot. SEM analysis revealed particle sizes ranging from 0.045 Ám to 0.2 Ám diameter." thats 0.2 micron btw...

Thats pretty fine abrasion levels, no wonder they use it on brass buckles.

Jonesyjo
07-06-2011, 05:51 PM
i use the jewelers rouge that came with the dremel kit from walmart

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advice :)

Trekon86
07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I usually rub compound on the rough side, heat it with a lighter or blowdryer, and repeat. Works well for a long time that way...

PMZ

Mountain Ron
07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I've used this: http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/1-specials/BAN39 and green chrome oxide polishing compound and for my really nice carving blades I have a special strop that I use that I put diamond paste on. It polishes those babies like crazy.

bamboo
07-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Being a Potter I have loads of random powdered minerals and such in jars in my studio. I put some green chrome oxide on a leather belt and it made a non-shaving knife into a shaving knife. I'm sure any ceramic supply store will have it in stock and fairly cheap.
I want to test out a lot of my other powders to see how they do (Titanium oxide, silicone carbide, silicone, etc...). I just need a dozen extra belts.

Sides
07-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I get it at Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004240/8619/Green-Chrome-Oxide-Compound-6-oz.aspx).

briarbrow
07-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok just got back from lowes, I found the white and green compounds for 2.98 a piece. Bought them both, they were made by porter cable, or atleast thats the brand. Next I need to find some leather strops :)

or you can use just about anything else that will hold the compound in a thin layer. You could put in directly on MDF, wood, mousepad, the palm of your hand ...whatever substrate has the resilience you wish.

I guess if i really relied on stropping the keep my edges in tune I'd make a long loom type, as long as my arm could reach. with at least two or three grits

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 10:01 PM
One last question. Can you re apply the compound on the leather after it has been used and is all black? What's the best way to recharge a leather strop after it turns black from all the stropping? I just did 3 knives and a few double bit axes and they are now black from metal removal. Does it need to be recharged yet?

walkabout
07-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I have used bar keepers friend powder, to clean a belt i use a nylon fingernail brush to bring back the nap and clean out the pores,

vermillion8604
07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Hmmm I have both of those things here

Morgoroth
11-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Sorry about bringing back a dead thread, but it has a lot of good info.

Two questions to add on though:

Do you guys use a paddle strop or a hanging strop?
And
When and how do you clean the strop?

VinoNoir
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Bump, as I'm interested in finding the answer to the last posters question, as well.

crookedknife
10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Morgoroth;854871
Do you guys use a paddle strop or a hanging strop?
And
When and how do you clean the strop?[/QUOTE]

A paddle strop will preserve a Scandi edge much better - this is a must for carving. A hanging strop will put a slight convex on the edge, which is good for general outdoor use. I do a LOT of sharpening - usually about 20 - 30 knives a week, and I have found that a quick recharge every half dozen knives or so is effective. You definitely do not need to clean the black from your strop. I have a strop made by a gunstock maker in the 1920's and as far as I know it has never be cleaned. I've had it for about 30 years and I know it hasn't been cleaned in that time. Clean off anything that makes a small bump when stropping, otherwise just leave it alone.
Hopes this helps. Jim

WoodsJack
10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Around here, ya' usually find "jeweler's rouge". Either red or white.

But a little woodcarver's studio knows what the rest is.

I was at two "hardware" stores recently - an "ACE" and a "Home Depot" huge one. Neither had ANY axe pucks, but sold axes.

crookedknife
10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=WoodsJack;1361193]Around here, ya' usually find "jeweler's rouge". Either red or white.

Yes, jeweler's rouge does work, and I used that for many years. Jeweler's rouge is intended for use on an electric muslin wheel though, and it is much slower on a hand strop. It is also harder to get it to stay on the strop than compound made for the job. The most aggressive of all the compounds made for hand strops is White Gold, which is sold by Pinewood Forge. (The same folks who sell the spoon knives used by so many here on the forum.)