PDA

View Full Version : What's worse, the mosquitoes or the mosquito repellant?

GeoKrpan
07-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Off Clip-on Mosquito Repellant

http://www.off.com/images/clip_on_big.jpg

solocanoe
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't play around. copious amounts of DEET - and don't care. lol.

Something about me (maybe my high protein diet) but I can get bit way before anyone else and even when no one else does.
I hose myself down with the 'woodsman' spray before I even mow the yard. :D

nemoaz
07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
If you have to ask, you don't have REAL mosquitoes in your neck of the woods. :) They are the state bird up here.

GeoKrpan
07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I was mountain biking in the San Gabriel mountains with two buddies. I'm Croatian, one buddy Chinese, and the other Mexican/Apache.
I had a few bugs on me, none on the Mexican, and the Chinese guy was covered with them. We all made some good humor out of that.

SluggySlugworth
07-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Worlds largest certified mosquito. So in that regard, I'll say the mosquito's are worse.

laboucan
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
In a word...the bugs.

Several years back I was up in Labrador, it was ......unreal, the blackflies. Some fisherman were telling me that when the wind is right they can be a couple miles offshore and still get blackflies.

Talk about DEET. Camped out at the far end of Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne National Park, the drop off point for the boat that brings you in, base camp before the long hike upward.
Blackflies, terrible. I made a small fire in front of the tent, hold my breath, squirted 100% DEET into the fire, the cloud of fumes parts the clouds of blackflies and very quickly into the tent. Then just a matter of the 50 or so that made it into the tent with me.

Around here, where I live, the city sprays larvacide in the spring otherwise we get eaten alive. Now we just get bitten a lot.

solocanoe
07-06-2011, 08:19 PM
GOOD GRACIOUS, SLUGGY!!!!! that's one big bug!!!! OUCH!

SluggySlugworth
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
GOOD GRACIOUS, SLUGGY!!!!! that's one big bug!!!! OUCH!

Yea, I believe it was found in the wild, in China.

GeoKrpan
07-06-2011, 08:26 PM
If you have to ask, you don't have REAL mosquitoes in your neck of the woods. :) They are the state bird up here.

"What's worse, the mosquitoes or the mosquito repellant?"

That's the advertising jingle for Off Clip-On.

Leif
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I stopped using bug spray altogether. Can't say I miss it.

Hiwa
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
The mosquitos are so big here that there was a rumour once that one wanted to land at the airport and fill up on 100 gallons of fuel.

I find that hard to believe. 90 gallons maybe , but not 100.:p

SluggySlugworth
07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I stopped using bug spray altogether. Can't say I miss it.

You brave man. :eek:

Croatoan
07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
The bugs, but the best stuff I've used is lemon-eucalyptus repellent.

Doesn't stink, isn't oily, no sheen, bugs and ticks hate it. Only draw back I've found is I need to reapply every four hours.

Leif
07-06-2011, 08:52 PM
You brave man. :eek:

I stopped back last summer. So far so good. Spring wasn't to bad on me. Only thing I can't handle is deer flies, they bother me the most. The rest I can deal with.

Beo-wulf
07-06-2011, 08:55 PM
It is interesting...why the bite some people and not others...they don't bite me near as much as they do some people.

I wonder why? (yes, I take showers regularly)

When they are really bad...I use 100% deet.

Snake Eyes 3211
07-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Mosquitoes. Bug repellent dont bother me none.

Keyser Söze
07-06-2011, 09:02 PM
i hate all parasites , but mosquitoes are NR1

marbro
07-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I learned my lesson last summer on putting that stuff on. Not sure if it was the brand or not but I got too much love from the bees when I wore it.

Gurthy
07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
I've used very little repellent this year even though the mosquitoes are bad this season. But the ticks are really bad! I kept finding them in the car, on my gear or my clothes long after returning from a trip.

I used picaridin-based repellent the last time I was out and found that it was virtually odorless and seemed to work well. Picaridin is less "nasty" than DEET but it's still a chemical so I think I will try the lemon eucalyptus stuff next since it seems to be endorsed by many (I'll keep an eye out for bees!). I also treated my clothes and bag with permethrin, again for the ticks. Mosquitoes I can live with, but I do not want to drag ticks home and have them affect me or my family.

borumas
07-06-2011, 09:25 PM
The bugs, but the best stuff I've used is lemon-eucalyptus repellent.

Doesn't stink, isn't oily, no sheen, bugs and ticks hate it. Only draw back I've found is I need to reapply every four hours.

I've been using the Off brand eucalyptus stuff myself, seems to work good and as you say doesn't have the nasty feeling film on the skin. In fact it helps make every tiny breeze feel nice and cool on the skin, smells good too in my opinion.

LECTER
07-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Yea, I believe it was found in the wild, in China.
More likely in Chernobyl... :D

NorthernBushcraft
07-07-2011, 03:25 AM
There are places here where the mosquitoes are so thick that you would go insane after a while. They are relentless.

I don't use it until I absolutely have to, but I'll take the risk of an arm growing out of my forehead and use the Deet when it gets really bad.

Pict
07-07-2011, 07:25 AM
You would think we have really bad mosquito problems here but the campaign to eradicate Dengue Fever has killed them off to the point that it is far worse back in PA and don't even mention Canada.

When I lived here from 90-92 if we left a light on in the room at night it would fill with as many as 300+ (no screens in Brazil). Now if we have one or two in the room at night it seems odd.

It has always been worse here in the city than in the bush. The mozzies out there only attack at dusk and dawn then go sleep it off. Here the little sweat bees are an annoyance. Sometimes you'll have a cloud of a hundred of them trying to lick you clean. They don't bite or sting they're just eager to give you all the bee lovin' you can handle. They'll stick with you for most of the day.

jakerock
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM
I am glad to hear that the eucalyptus stuff works... Is it meant to be effective against ticks too? Never tried it, but will now. It creeps me out to slather chemicals I dont understand all over the place....

I wonder if there are eucalyptus based products for coating equipment and clothes?

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0060-0807-1603-4525_Man_Using_a_Pump_Sprayer_to_Exterminate_Bugs_ clipart_image.jpg

Timberline
07-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Here's a great article about natural mosquito control and repellant:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/2003-08-01/Outsmarting-Mosquitoes.aspx

By the way, growing up with my cherokee grandmother, ever since being a little kid, I have always eaten copious amounts of garlic or taken garlic pills, and surprisingly, they pretty much leave me alone when I go into the woods, but eat everyone else alive, so I think her advice must work in that regard.

jakerock
07-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I like that solution because I love garlic!

Hubb
07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
If you have to ask, you don't have REAL mosquitoes in your neck of the woods. :) They are the state bird up here.I hear ya. You know the bugs are the real problem when they fly by your head and knock your hat off. When they come by wearing helmets and protective goggles. When you can see serial numbers imprinted on their bellies next to the lightning bolts. And using anything smaller than a baseball bat only makes them angry.

Angus McGunnigl
07-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I use Ben's 30 on clothing, hats etc. and Natrapel on skin. Working very good so far this year. My son used the Natrapel at scout camp 3 weeks ago and it worked well.

Stevieray
07-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I try to go without deet or will spray just my hat and bandana. If the mosquitos are unbearable I'll spray my clothes (long pants and sleeves) and let dry before putting them on. Otherwise I use natural repellants.

br79
07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Whiskey and cigars, keeps em off me, I don't remember the last time I used bug spray.. They love the misses tho, must be her clean living.

colorado dirt lover
07-07-2011, 09:41 AM
I never use bug spray anymore, i came to the conclusion i got bit no matter what. THough, i found a clove of raw garlic every day keeps them away fairly well! haha

Croatoan
07-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Here's a great article about natural mosquito control and repellant:

[/URL][URL]http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/2003-08-01/Outsmarting-Mosquitoes.aspx (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/2003-08-01/Outsmarting-Mosquitoes.aspx)

By the way, growing up with my cherokee grandmother, ever since being a little kid, I have always eaten copious amounts of garlic or taken garlic pills, and surprisingly, they pretty much leave me alone when I go into the woods, but eat everyone else alive, so I think her advice must work in that regard.

Quite interesting on the garlic piece. It does seem to help.

Couple other tips;

Don't eat bananas before going into the bush or during.

Female mosquitoes use the CO2 we exhale as their primary cue to our location. A host seeking mosquito is guided to our skin by following the slip stream of CO2 that exudes from our breath.

Once they have landed, they rely on a number of short range attractants to determine if we are an acceptable blood meal host. Folic acid is one chemical that appears to be particularly important. Fragrances from hair sprays, perfumes, deodorants and soap can cover these chemical cues.

A friend of my swears that copious consumption of Altoids mints will deter swarming.

They can also function to either enhance or repel the host seeking drive. Dark colors capture heat and make most people more attractive to mosquitoes. Light colors refract heat and are generally less attractive. Detergents, fabric softeners, perfumes and body odor can counteract the effects of color.

I wash all of my field clothes in a mix of one part Primos scent eliminating laundry detergent and one part UV killer, wash my hair in scent eliminating shampoo and use a non-scented deodorant. When my wife is out with me she tends to get eaten alive while I don't have near as many issues.

ccove
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Mosquito are bad here. We also have a high incidence of west nile and last year equine encepohlitits. Need less to say I usually cover myself pretty well. Once I go in I jump in the shower right away.

GeoKrpan
07-07-2011, 12:25 PM
The funny thing here about the responses is that no one commented on the Off Clip-On mosquito repellant.
Has anybody tried it? Is it something new?
I was thinking that it might be good thing to hang in your tarp shelter in lieu of mosquito netting.

Arrowolf
07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
It is interesting...why the bite some people and not others...they don't bite me near as much as they do some people.

I wonder why? (yes, I take showers regularly)

When they are really bad...I use 100% deet.

What's your blood type?

Mama has A- and they won't go near her. Me, my bro and Pops all have A+ and they'll fly a hundred miles to bite one of us. And they really seem to like Type O peeps.

WindWalker
07-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Mr. GeoKrpan,
My wife uses one on almost a daily basis. She swears by it! Works great.
Best Wishes

walkabout
07-07-2011, 01:24 PM
At my shore home in jersey the green head flies, mosquitos and no see um gnats are brutal at dawn and dusk, if im sitting out side i use thermacells and they keep em at bay, we all also carry small spray bottles of off with us if were out and about in the marsh, thats what i get though for living in a tidal marsh three months out of the year.

solocanoe
07-07-2011, 02:51 PM
The funny thing here about the responses is that no one commented on the Off Clip-On mosquito repellant.
I was thinking that it might be good thing to hang in your tarp shelter in lieu of mosquito netting.

my appologies, man.

I've seen it on the pockets of some of the folks at the ball games this summer. I assume it would work well on a calm day (no wind)....but the ferocity they attack around dusk...I don't go without a good douse of the deet spray.

GeoKrpan
07-07-2011, 03:15 PM
my appologies, man.

I've seen it on the pockets of some of the folks at the ball games this summer. I assume it would work well on a calm day (no wind)....but the ferocity they attack around dusk...I don't go without a good douse of the deet spray.

The mosquitoes aren't that bad in the usual places that I go and I think the Clip-On might be worth a try. A mosquito net hanging over me in a tarp shelter couldn't be as comfortable but it's not poisonous.

Croatoan
07-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Heck it's probably worth a try, I've not used them but Off generally makes reliable repellent. Can't hurt to try it.

45jack
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EoOm_mOo9Qk/SCAKSJCrVpI/AAAAAAAAAT0/QUVUhiFf3Tw/s200/big_mosquito_ej.jpg

walkabout
07-07-2011, 10:42 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EoOm_mOo9Qk/SCAKSJCrVpI/AAAAAAAAAT0/QUVUhiFf3Tw/s200/big_mosquito_ej.jpg

God damn, i told ya before to stop camping by that freakin reactor!

on a serious note though i heard that some of the biggest skeeters are up in alaska, maybe one of the guys from the klondike can confirm for us.

Dink
07-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Our skeeters are so big we have to tie the cows down or the skeeters carry them away for a snack!!

DEET!!!!!

DeriusT
07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
I personally spray all of my "outdoor" clothing with a generous amount of Sawyer Permethrin for a good protective layer, and I have no problem bathing in 100% DEET. I already got stuff that would scare anything the DEET exposure could give me plumb to death...

McPherson
07-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Spray repellent is my last resort, and I rarely need it. When I do its just 1 small squirt on top of my hat.

-Eat garlic/onion. Carry some garlic cloves with you and eat one in camp. Also good for stings. Cut it in half, squeeze, rub on bee stings, etc. Also good for Chupacabra.

-Keep your mouth shut. Breathe through your nose, your mouth stinks. The big yappers are always getting hit, then complaining about it more. Hmmm, cause/effect?

-Don't flail around in distress. They like that. Its like a blinking neon light to them.
-Don't use scented products. They like that too.
-Don't scratch. See above.
-Stay in the wind if possible.

-Cover the hot spots. Around here if you walked outside naked and got bit 10 times, 7 of them would be on your ankles/calves, 2 on your face/ears, 1 on your arms. Wear a brimmed hat, grow a beard, and I wear wool gaiters. I can sit comfortably and watch them try to bite through them.

Burt's Bees makes a natural product that works alright, for a while. I think it falls into the "Scented Products" category. I don't use it because I've seen skeets hovering around people using it waiting for it to wear off. They might have been trying to mask another scented product though. Kind of like, don't fix the problem, just patch it, then the patch fails, patch it again... When it does wear off it seems to be worse. Anyone have any experience with it?