PDA

View Full Version : Canadian belt knife (skinner)

Chena
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Does anyone own or has anyone used this design, (not necessarily Cold Steel)? http://www.coldsteel.com/cabekn.html It looks very functional.
Maybe one gets better downward pressure with it because of the hand and wrist position in conjunction with the angle of the blade?

Trekon86
09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I was gifted one during the knife swap on this board.
It was decent--I wouldn't be afraid to use it hard. It came scary sharp too!:eek:

I gave it to my Grandpa as a gift cause I have so many knives I don't know what to do with em all:rolleyes:
He liked it a lot:D
PMZ

Chena
09-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Trekon, was it comfortable when using a lot of pressure?

crookedknife
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Does anyone own or has anyone used this design, (not necessarily Cold Steel)? http://www.coldsteel.com/cabekn.html It looks very functional.
Maybe one gets better downward pressure with it because of the hand and wrist position in conjunction with the angle of the blade?

I have used several brands of that style including the original Grohmann. It definitely is not a carving knife, but is a great game knife. For years I've been looking for one that had a decent Rockwell rating. All I have found so far are really soft.

Chena
09-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks crookedknife. That summed it up for me pretty well. It looked like it would work well for game...has an almost ulu shaped edge. They used to be called bow-backed skinners didn't they? Anyway, I think I might get one for skinning/dressing now.

crookedknife
09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks crookedknife. That summed it up for me pretty well. It looked like it would work well for game...has an almost ulu shaped edge. They used to be called bow-backed skinners didn't they? Anyway, I think I might get one for skinning/dressing now.

I've never hear that term, but they are widely known as Canadian Skinners. This is the site for the original. Bark River also makes a similar knife and there is a German company that makes one - can't remember the name of it right now.http://www.grohmannknives.com/%20 I was present when a Grohmann was tested one time - was advertised at Rc 57 - was actually 55 which is really marginal.

Mountain Ron
09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a Grohman clone made by PIC in Solingen Germany, told its from the sixties. Its got a nice, hard edge, probably around 58-60. I linked to a photo of it in my blog. Its in the second photo, top knife and closeup of the blade engraving in the third photo. I took off the broken scale and am in the process of putting a pair of Afzelia burl scales on it. This knife is 10 1/2" long, blade is 5 1/2".

http://ronsprimitiveskills.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-cutting-tools.html

Chena
09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Very nice Mountain Ron, post some pics when you finish it please.

crookedknife
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Mountain Ron;48470]I have a Grohman clone made by PIC in Solingen Germany, told its from the sixties. Its got a nice, hard edge, probably around 58-60. I linked to a photo of it in my blog. Its in the second photo, top knife and closeup of the blade engraving in the third photo. I took off the broken scale and am in the process of putting a pair of Afzelia burl scales on it. This knife is 10 1/2" long, blade is 5 1/2".

Hah! Bingo! That's it! I've been trying for forever to remember the name of that company. I have the 4" version from them - have it right here. One of the scales was broken on this knife when I got it, so I took the handles off, and so it is now in blade form. I've never used it. Maybe this is winter project number 143.

Trekon86
09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah I wouldn't consider it a woodcarver's tool lol but it would kick arse insofar as game prep goes...
PMZ

Adam B
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
If you're interested in one of these, you should talk to Bindlestich or Jaat13 and see if they could make you one in carbon. I'll bet that either could get you one. It seems that this blade might benefit from a convex grind also...

Mountain Ron
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Yep. Its one fine skinner!

Adam B
10-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey guys,

I just noticed that Ben's Backwoods has a carbon version of this knife very affordable if anybody's still interested.

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=493

GreyOne
10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I found my old "Yukon Hunter" version from the 70's. It is marked 'Othello' Solingen Rostfrei on one side, and on the other side "Anton Wingen Jr. " Solingen Germany. The original sheath was a bit flimsy, and I had a friend make me sheath years ago.
[Will add pictures as soon as camera charges up.]

Here is a picture:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/GreyOne1/10-09%20Knives%20Packs%20Gear/P1000786.jpg

Mountain Ron
10-10-2009, 08:39 PM
I love the Grohman design. You can't beat it for skinning and its a decent bush knife as far as wood gathering but they are a bit awkward for carving.

GreyOne
10-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Agreed. I carry this one in a pack just for deer camp, as that is the only skinning I ever really do. Never used it for much else, but it sure does a good job in its specialty.

ktomes_340
10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I have a canadian belt knife and a roach belly, both by Cold Steel. IMO they are the best small knife for the price.:D

Matthew D G
10-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Knives of Alaska has a canadian belt knife design in D2

Never used one but want one lol

Cracker
10-16-2009, 09:51 PM
The Othello is what hooked me on elliptical blades. It is an exellent shape for game and "camp kitchen". I found the same issue with hardness and am now on my second Knifes of Alaska Yukon(lost the first) they are made of D2 tool steel and have a hard rubber handle. One of things I really like with the KOA is 1/3 of the top is sharpened too. I keep a 25* bevel on the main blade for general use and the top I reshaped to 20* a bevel.

HERE IS A LINK (http://ellipticalknives.com/KnivesofAlaskaYukon.html) to the best prices I have found. Mike specializes in elliptical blades and carries all brands(Grohmann, KOA, Bark River, CS, etc...) and his service is second to none.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1205/othelloo.jpg

oddjobzombie
10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I have an old, heavily patinaed Grohmann. And while I like the shape (mostly for food prep), I too can't seem to keep a good edge on it.

ktomes_340
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I have one and it's quite nice. I don't think you can cut firewood with it,lol, but it would be good for camp cooking and game preparing. At the price, you can't really go wrong.:D

wolfy
10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Anybody have one of George Herter's version of this knife? Seems like he charged around $4.75 for it back in the mid 70's

It was carbon steel, convex ground, simple. Lanyard hole, two brass rivets AND a handle made from "African Mineral Tiger Wood" !

ktomes_340
10-27-2009, 07:31 PM
I have a cold steel canadian belt knife, which I talked of last. I also have a R. Murphy canadian belt knife which is almost as good as a Grohmanns. You can check them out at bensbackwoods.com.:D

Bill
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a cold steel canadian belt knife, which I talked of last. I also have a R. Murphy canadian belt knife which is almost as good as a Grohmanns. You can check them out at bensbackwoods.com.:D

So you have been happy with the R. Murphy? I was thinking of picking one up to test it out.

ktomes_340
10-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I really like the R. Murphy knife.:D I have never tried a Grohmann, but am told the R. Murphy is equally usable. Throw in the cheap price and you have yourself a good knife.:D

wolfy
10-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Ol' Dean H. Russel would be rollin' over and laughin' in his grave if he could see what has happened to his original design. Grohmann has prostituted his design, as far as I'm concerned. George Herter came about as close as anyone back in the mid-70's with his $4.75 GLH Knife and it was in the original carbon steel that Dean used in his original design.

Ben's Backwoods offers the Murphy version of the original design, which is about as close as anyone has come, so far....IMHO! Cold Steel's version is a joke, but a nice paring knife or steak knife that you can put in the dishwasher without worry about destroying its usefulness.

I collect versions of Dean's knives, so am not a complete IDJIT when it comes to this design. What say you?