PDA

View Full Version : My suggestion to the membership

Leif
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Now I am the last person to lecture about spelling and grammar...that being said something I have noticed lately is the large amount of spelling mistakes in the thread titles.

No one is perfect, but when I see words spelled wrong in titles yet spelled correctly in posts, it tells me we are rushing to get threads up.

Overall I think it helps the integrity of the forum, not to mention gives off a better vibe of our community when we take that extra 5 seconds to check over these things.

I correct what I can when I see it for you guys, surely we don't get them all (speaking of thread titles only).

Overall it would be more accurate for web searches of our forum, and just look better for prospecting new members.

Need help fixing a mistake, then just ask a mod. It is why we are here.

Thanks guys, and I am sorry for the slight "soapboxing" I just did :15:

Jason
08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanx Skeg I'll doe bettr next tyme.

Leif
08-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanx Skeg I'll doe bettr next tyme.

Ass. :9:

AaronMB
08-08-2011, 11:09 AM
This is well said. It was gentle and appropriate.

Attention to detail is never a bad thing - we take the time while in the bush, which means we should take the time here, too; it's good lifestyle discipline. It not only simply looks better for perspective members, but it can make it easier for us to communicate more effectively while, most importantly, showing each other respect, by "taking the time" to communicate with our fellow Bushcraft brothers and sisters properly.

Riverwalker
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Can you say spell check? Thanks Skog.

Skab
08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Titles I seem to do fine on. It's the thread itself, if it's along thread I will cut and paste to Microsoft Word and spell check, then re cut and paste to the thread. But, on a quick response or when on my smart phone I just guess.

I know there is a spell check that can be downloaded, but it sucks.

I try to fix my grammar and spelling errors if I see them later, but that isn't always the case.

What bugs me more then spelling is when someone changes the font and size or even uses italics in their posts. It just doesn't read well, when you are use to reading the defaul font that 99% of the people use on here.

Another thing to consider, is alot of guys that are into bushcraft, can barely turn on a computer, little alone spell well.

Timberline
08-08-2011, 11:29 AM
+1 on spell check. It's not hard either. In fact, if you use Google Chrome, it pretty much spell checks for you.

Mr.Black
08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
SWEAT!
M/BK

GreyOne
08-08-2011, 11:34 AM
The point about titles being important for later searches cannot be overlooked.

A search for "breadfruit" will not turn up a post on "Beardfruit" ! :)

Remember, that title line is what the public sees first about your post. It is sort of your initial sales pitch. Helps when it is accurate.

T Co
08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
The mods are polite about it as well. I can say this from experience on my end. I know I have asked Sgt Mac personally to help correct 2 of my thread titles and that he was more than willing to assist.

LECTER
08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Using Firefox will put a big ol' ugly squiggly red line under any word it doesn't know and it's also the safest, fastest browser around!

upthecreek
08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I egree !00 persent. I really do try to use proper spelling and grammar.. I do think It makes the board better. Thanks scog :)

jstalljon
08-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Skog....You spelled 'knife' wrong in your username. :54:

Just an FYI..... and to keep the sarcasm going (and yes, I had to spellcheck sarcasm) :D

GrowlingBear
08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm with you Skog. Sometimes I can figure out what they're trying to say, but not always. The posts with no punctuation or capital letters are REALLY hard to read. There was a thread title within the last week or two that called out the "black power" guys - I knew what the poster was going for, but I got a laugh out of it. It was later fixed, but the original title stuck with me for a while. FIGHT THE MAN! LMAO. Thanks for bringing-up this topic.

Yellow Lab
08-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree that this is needed. What I have seen occur more often is the lack of punctuation and capital letters it makes it hard to follow. When I see this it makes me view it as a stream of consciousness.....very hard to follow and read.

Thanks for bringing this up. Some may perceive this the wrong way but if they understand the intent they'll get over it and pull up their panties.

Wayland
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Ass. :9:

Were you referring to a four legged beast of burden or is that a colonial spelling for something else?

Leif
08-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Were you referring to a four legged beast of burden or is that a colonial spelling for something else?

Arse* That work better for you? hahahaha:1:

kgd
08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Actually the title reminder is a good one. Its the first thing you post and usually something you forget to check. Its probably a good idea to write your thread title last after you've composed the body of your text. If you get as long winded as I can sometimes be, you might forget what the right title should be by the time you've finished writing your post :D

Overall spelling errors commonly happen, especially since forum editors are rather unforgiving things with not enough space to type and read in while composing. A necessary aspect of the software that is used. However, I agree with others that good use of punctuation and paragraphs are important. I can tolerate lots of spelling mistakes, but if I can't follow the logic of what is trying to be communicated then its a lost cause.

I also like reading folks who write more than one sentence posts. Feels like I get to know them and their thinking a bit better.

wsdstan
08-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Hurrah! It is irritating to read a post with poor spelling and a lack of proper puncuation. I won't read a post with "U" or "prolly" in it. I quit when there is no punctuation and, as Wolfy noted the other day, the post is the longest sentence he had ever read. The writer who does that has no respect for his fellow members or the English language.

BillCr
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Hurrah! It is irritating to read a post with poor spelling and a lack of proper puncuation. I won't read a post with "U" or "prolly" in it. I quit when there is no punctuation and, as Wolfy noted the other day, the post is the longest sentence he had ever read. The writer who does that has no respect for his fellow members or the English language.

I really hate it when people spell punctuation wrong. That drives me batty. ;)

backwoodsbeagle
08-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm always afraid to post in threads like these or about grammar, for fear of making a mistake.

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Before I switched to Firefox, with a built in spell-checker, I used "iespell" as a plug-in for Internet Explorer. Spell checkers get a workout with me, 'cause I'm lucky if I can spell my name correctly. :p
I've tried to drill into my kids that one of the first and most lasting impressions is the one they will give in their written communications. Rightly, or wrongly, people will form an opinion when they read how you express yourself.
I often wonder what a prospective employer would think, if they got a resume written the way some people write over the Internet? :eek:

pedro
08-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Kudos for bringing this up. Reading posts from those who are too ignorant or lazy to get it right in the one language that they feel obliged to learn is annoying. Nobody expects perfection, but a little common courtesy would be nice.

TheProfessor
08-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Spelling check programs are helpful, but can't always catch problem words like: their, there and they're; or these: to, two, and too. How about the troublesome "were" instead of "where?"

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Spelling check programs are helpful, but can't always catch problem words like: their, there and they're; or these: to, two, and too. How about the troublesome "were" instead of "where?"
Very true! I here you loud and clear! ;) (Sorry...drives me nuts, too.)

sidecarr
08-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I always run the spell check ,but I'm 43 yrs old and never had much luck with grammar, so don't plan on taking any English classes anytime soon . Guess all I can do is apologize in advance for any future post with bad grammar.

Kerri
08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Sorry man but im sure youve heard of Alabama public schools right? well thats were i gots my edumacation

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I always run the spell check ,but I'm 43 yrs old and never had much luck with grammar, so don't plan on taking any English classes anytime soon . Guess all I can do is apologize in advance for any future post with bad grammar.
The local pastor comes over to visit Johnny and his family.

Pastor: "Hello, Johnny. Is your mother home?"
Johnny: "She ain't here."
Pastor: "Johnny! Where's your grammar?"
Johnny: "She ain't here, neither."

wolfy
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Most folks do pretty well in their punctuation and spelling, but a few of them I have read lately are so bad they defy description. Sometimes I check their profile page to see what they do for a living or where they are from, just to put a screen name with a 'mind picture'. That mind picture is defiantly not a pretty one sometimes!

Wayland
08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
We came across some rare specimens in our local woods.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/assets/images/Punctuation-1.jpg

Some seemed to be redundant.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/assets/images/Punctuation-2.jpg

Others seemed uncared for.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/assets/images/Punctuation-3.jpg

People seemed totally puzzled by some of them.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/assets/images/Punctuation-5.jpg

Most couldn't even say what these were.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/assets/images/Punctuation-4.jpg

And this one had even been kicked into the long grass and forgotten.

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/assets/images/Punctuation_Burn.jpg

In the end we decided that maybe we should just burn the lot of them.

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Cute! The rarest of them all evaded you..... ";"

Sambo
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Please let me apologize in advance as I am not from a english speaking country ( I lived in England for many years ) I will do my best to avoid making a mess of it

Pinebaron
08-08-2011, 06:21 PM
2 THINGS I H8 TXT LANGUAGE AND CAPS. ITS OK 4 PHONES ONLY. THINK B4 U WRITE.

Sorry, had to do it :)

GreyOne
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Please let me apologize in advance as I am not from a english speaking country ( I lived in England for many years ) I will do my best to avoid making a mess of it

Trust me, only a native American could even conceive of the garbling we see now days in "text speek" . :)

I find that most of our overseas members have better grammar and vocabulary than do most of us "native English" speakers. ;)

smokewalker
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
:22:My BrOWser opErA 11.54 hAs a bUiLt iN sPelL CheCKer SO i HAvE It CovEReD. SkAg i SuPpoRt yOu In bRinGInG tHiS tO OuR ATtEnTioN.

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 06:41 PM
:22:My BrOWser opErA 11.54 hAs a bUiLt iN sPelL CheCKer SO i HAvE It CovEReD. SkAg i SuPpoRt yOu In bRinGInG tHiS tO OuR ATtEnTioN.
I've had ssssssssssstuck keys before, but never a psychotic caps key!:1:

GreyOne
08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
(: ˙sןןɐqǝʎǝ uʍop ǝpısdn sɐ ןןǝʍ sɐ 'ǝɯoɹpuʎs ƃuıdʎʇ ɹǝƃuıɟ ʇɐɟ ɯoɹɟ ɹǝɟɟns 'ǝɔuɐʇsuı ɹoɟ ˙ı ˙sɯǝןqoɹd ɹǝɥʇo ʎuɐɯ sɐ ןןǝʍ sɐ 'ɔıxǝןsʎp ǝɹɐ sn ɟo ǝɯos ʇɐɥʇ ʇɔɐɟ ǝɥʇ ǝɹouƃı ʇou sn ʇǝן ˙sɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹno ןןɐ uǝǝʍʇǝq uoıʇɐɔıunɯɯoɔ ɹɐǝןɔ ƃuıʌǝıɥɔɐ uo ʇuıod ʇuɐʇɹodɯı sıɥʇ ʇɹoddns ooʇ ı

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Cixelsyd...
is dyslexic spelled backwards....

upthecreek
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
bOut tImE ToO LoCk thIs tHreAd

Adam
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
du u meen speelings?

I agree with you, it drives me crazy. I'm probably not much older than some of the "texting generation", but common spelling and grammar, and maybe even a little punctuation, can go a long way.

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
LOL! (Oops...is that acceptable?) I just got back here after reading 3-4 new daily threads. I guess they were too busy posting to read this thread. Wow! :D

MK-9
08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm borderline obsessive with my spelling. Unfortunately I really suck at knowing when to cut off run on sentences. And my use of commas leaves much to be desired.

Leif
08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
It seems this thread has all to quickly run its course, enough said.
Too funny.

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/jan08/images/Lyrics_03_Padlock.jpg

MK-9
08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
http://surlycurmudgeon.com/images/ibtl.jpg

randyt
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I was thinking about this very thing the other day. I figure a fella ought to post slow and apologize fast.