PDA

View Full Version : Man I'm getting sick of these Cicada's

riverjoe
08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
At first I thought oh cool the locusts are back (we always called them locusts around here) . Reminds me bein out back playing kick the can . Roasting marshmellows .
Now Im hearing them indoors . Whats that malady tennitus or something .
Went down in the bottom with Leo to try and figure out what the squirrel are cutting and you can't here diddly .

Arizona-Hermit
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
You are correct, it is called tinnitus. I have had that wonderfully charming malady for a bit over 14 years now, 24 x 7, both ears. It usually sounds like cicadas, but also sounds like a loose fan belt with car engine revving, a helicopter landing on my roof, ocean waves crashing, a huge jar full of angry bees.... just peaceful, pleasing, soothing, wondrous sounds of mother nature never shutting up.
After the first 5 years or so, I was able to 'almost' stop thinking constantly about it, but to this day have never mastered (or conquered) it.

Proof that God has a sense of humor.

riverjoe
08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
You are correct, it is called tinnitus. I have had that wonderfully charming malady for a bit over 14 years now, 24 x 7, both ears. It usually sounds like cicadas, but also sounds like a loose fan belt with car engine revving, a helicopter landing on my roof, ocean waves crashing, a huge jar full of angry bees.... just peaceful, pleasing, soothing, wondrous sounds of mother nature never shutting up.
After the first 5 years or so, I was able to 'almost' stop thinking constantly about it, but to this day have never mastered (or conquered) it.

Proof that God has a sense of humor.
Can't be much fun . I only get it occasionally and it always sounds like Cicada's . Now when the Cicada's are serenading it brings it all back .
Choppers would be bad ,kinda like seal team six knocking at your door .
Think I heard the actor James Woods saying he was afflicted .

Victor
08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Yup I got that sweet music too. I had heard that Vitamin B-12 in a huge dose helps and it did but I have not been able to take it in a while. So I am hearing the choppers alot.
Get the Liquid form seems to work better.
Victor

riverjoe
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Yup I got that sweet music too. I had heard that Vitamin B-12 in a huge dose helps and it did but I have not been able to take it in a while. So I am hearing the choppers alot.

Victor
Might try that B12 . Maybe I better look up the side effects first .

stillman
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
We heard an awful scream from the back porch last night. Sounded like a cat being wrung out. I ran to the back door to see what was going on and found that our dog had a cicada cornered.

Victor
08-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Might try that B12 . Maybe I better look up the side effects first .
No side effects at all.. Its a vitamin, I just couldnt aford to take them any more.

Victor

riverjoe
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I've heard there are a lot of recipes for Cicadas . Around here you don't see them that much , but in Southern In . when we were camping one time they covered the earth . Seems like there's a story in the bible when the Israelites ate the locusts . I admit Bible skills are a little low . Think Ill go google this now .

OK Im back . It is said they taste like asparagus or clam flavored potatoe .
Thats quite a range because I sure never thought asparagus tasted like clam .

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 05:55 PM
I've had tinnitus for years. Bums me out, sitting on the patio and everyone enjoying the serenading of the crickets when all I can hear is the stupid buzzing in my head.

riverjoe
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I've had tinnitus for years. Bums me out, sitting on the patio and everyone enjoying the serenading of the crickets when all I can hear is the stupid buzzing in my head.
Well its kinda ironic but I think Cicada could be high in B12 .
It seems that Clams are one of the highest foods in B-12 and Cicadas taste like clammy potatoes .
B-12 to treat ringing in the ears .
Probabley don't have Cicadas in Montana tho .

Pinebaron
08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I have had tinnitus for about 28 years now. Mine is mostly like a ringing. Too much time around helicopters. I guess you get used to it after a while.

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Well its kinda ironic but I think Cicada could be high in B12 .
It seems that Clams are one of the highest foods in B-12 and Cicadas taste like clammy potatoes .
B-12 to treat ringing in the ears .
Probabley don't have Cicadas in Montana tho .
I'm glad I was eating a sandwich, and not clam chowder when I read that! :p

We don't have cicadas, but we have June bugs the size of your thumb.

riverjoe
08-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Have you guys tried the B-12 ?

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Have you guys tried the B-12 ?
B-12 is good for keeping you from getting drowsy without using caffeine. So when I took it I got to stay awake all night, listening to my tinnitus. :rolleyes:

riverjoe
08-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Okaaaaay , guess I'll not be taking massive doses of that after all .

Old Philosopher
08-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Okaaaaay , guess I'll not be taking massive doses of that after all .
B-12 also helps to mosquitoes away, so you won't confuse them with the tinnitus. ;)