PDA

View Full Version : zuccini

Marsh
08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Do you like this vegetable? If so.. how do you like yours prepared?

Yes I'm looking for new ideas. :) For the littles ones I grew up with them slow fried in oil/butter until tan on both sides and tender. Salt and pepper.

I think a person could eat off one of the huge ones for a week. :)l

Marsh.

Trekon86
08-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I like em best deepfried/breaded (lol) but I also LOVE zucchini pickles...Gma makes a mean jar of sweet pickles.

PMZ

GreyOne
08-09-2011, 08:06 PM
They make really great targets ! 22 LR will explode them nicely. :)
After the first week of the season, that is the best use I can find for them. ;)

Skab
08-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I cook the big ones by slicing and brushing with olive oil and put them on the grill.

But, my favorite is zucchini bread! Yummy!

Crafter
08-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Slice lenghtwise,about 1/8 inch thick, baste lightly with oil, salt, put on grill ( not too hot) , watch closely, should get soft and somewhat brown, flip, watch closely again, remove with spatula.

shark665
08-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I love them sliced up and fried in butter. I recently tried a zuccini cake it was very tasty and a sweet alternative.

NELABushman
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
maybe its cause im southern, but deep fat fry that bugger in a nice spicy fry! little flour little salt n pepper and a dash of tonys!

Whitestone
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I grill them, saute them, stuff and bake them and make soup with them. Before my waistline was equal to my age, I would bread and fry them like tomatoes! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Marsh
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Oh yes.. I have made a choco zuccini cake a time or two. Forgot about that one.

The pickles sound interesting. Do they have a crunch?

I think alot of zukes become targets twards the end of the season. I know I've whacked at them a time or two with a machete... and then fed the chunks to the pigs.

Marsh.

Trekon86
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Yup, it's good in bread, too!

PMZ

DanTheOutDoorMan
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Zucchini bread...its where it's at!

Recall1k
08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
We either just steam them with no seasoning at all, or cut them up, put them in a little foil with some minced garlic and olive oil and stick them on the grill.

wolfy
08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Sliced and sautÚd with a little onion in olive oil and lightly sprinkled with some freshly grated Parmesan:dblthumb:

Marsh
08-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Looks like I need to try some on the grill. I've not done that one yet. ha ha

Mom would cut into chunks and cream those chunks like she would do creamed peas.

I tried to shred zukes and fry like hashbrowns.. didnt turn out so well... too wet. I did however dehydrate the shreds for soup filler.

Marsh.

Huntingtag10
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Marsh,

Try shredding and frying them again, but add some eggs in the mix! It firms them up and tastes great! That's how my brother makes them, and he does big pans of it and freezes it for winter. Really good.

Marsh
08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks.. I will definately give the 'hashbrown' thing another try using eggs. :)

Marsh.

hunt2live
08-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Gotta love bread and cookies. I also found a recipe online a couple of years ago for sausage stuffed zucchini that was pretty good. I had so many of them that year, I really haven't wanted any since..... (6 plants are too many)

RDROgers
08-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Quartered longways, brushed with olive oil, salt and garlic pepper, then thrown on the grill. One of my favorite vegetables!

santaman2000
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
-Breaded and fried (hasn't that been mentioned already?)
-Stewed with tomatoes and Italian seasoning then topped with Parmesan cheese (either as a side or over pasta with pancetta)

Kisatchie
08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
My sister-in-law used to make a casserole with them that was out of this world, but she passed away 13 years ago and took the recipe with her. :(

My favorite way to cook them, is to cut them into chunks and saute with onions and hot peppers, until slightly brown around the edges and enjoy! :)

Kd7fhg
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Slice them about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle some montreal steak seasoning on them and dry them in the dehydator. Eat them like patoto chips as is or with a dip.

Gryphonblade
08-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I get the little ones. Slice them thin, a little olive oil, salt and pepper then grill or in a fry pan. Chop them up into sitr-fry, soups, on pizza whatever!

Tonight I sliced up a red bell, a couple little zukes, onion and cubed some chicken. Fried it all up over rice. Good stuff!

The big ones get starchy/gamey. I don't like them. If I miss one in the garden and it gets huge (give it a couple days, they can!) I'll cut it lengthwise, stuff it with rice, mushrooms, onion, garlic, hamburger and cheese and bake it or slow grill it.

VinoNoir
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
-Stewed with tomatoes and Italian seasoning then topped with Parmesan cheese (either as a side or over pasta with pancetta)

I do a variation of this.

Just last night I cut a large one into cubes the size of dice. Sauted(sp?) them in veggie oil (although I prefer Olive) with some garlic.

After they were lightly golden, I added a large can of stewed tomatos and a can of rinsed and drained black beans, salt, pepper, cayanne pepper, oregano, basil and about 1/2 a package of left over taco seasoning. Covered it and cooked it medium low for about ten minutes.

In the meantime, I had a cup of instant brown rice cookin. This made two cuos of cooked rice. After all was said and done I wa a very satiated and satisfied man. :)

My old man use to make zuke slices sauted, in a cast iron pan, with ground beef and onions, and salt/pepper. My definition of COMFORT food. :32:

EagleRiverDee
08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Sliced crosswise thin Rolled in cornmeal, fried until golden brown on both sides, lay out on a plate with paper towels to absorb the grease, salt to taste. Nom. Works best with a young one but the big ones will taste good too. I like yellow zukes myself, they're sweeter.

Marsh
08-10-2011, 12:09 AM
After reading all these yummy ideas I think we should all put zuke seeds in our BOBs.. JUST in case we need to grow our own food after a crisis. We could feed whole villages with only six plants........ ha ha ha And it sounds like this veggie cooks well over a fire....

Thanks guys/gals... I'm really going to try alot of these ideas. They dehydrated chips really intrigues me too....

Marsh

Old Philosopher
08-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Do you like this vegetable? If so.. how do you like yours prepared?

Yes I'm looking for new ideas. :) For the littles ones I grew up with them slow fried in oil/butter until tan on both sides and tender. Salt and pepper.

I think a person could eat off one of the huge ones for a week. :)l

Marsh.
Same as above, but sprinkle with grated Parmesan and fried on both sides until the cheese is browned and crispy.

Split a larger one lengthwise, mix up a sausage stuffing of your choice, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and bake until soft to a fork stuck in it.

Cut like french fries, season and dry in a dehydrator, or warm oven.

Joshuajk
08-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Soak in milk then bread it and toss in the cast iron skillet with a little bit of oil, fry until nice and crunchy.

and a goof loaf of zucchini bread does a tummy good as well.

oh I forgot , slice it longways and steam it. then place thin slices of green and red peppers, green onions and goat cheese on it then roll it up like a wrap. this is flippin awesome!

VinoNoir
08-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Cut like french fries, season and dry in a dehydrator, or warm oven.

Definitely trying this one!

PMSteve
1/8" slices in a pot with some corn, green beans, lima beans, ham chunks and tomatoes. Add water and some ribbon noodles, salt & pepper and seasoning to taste (garlic, onion, etc.). Simmer until the noodles are done and serve with hard italian bread and butter.

Make ahead of time and freeze some in a bag or plastic container and serve in the winter. Alternate between this and venison chili with cornbread and it will keep you going all winter.

:32::32:

Zornt
I like them fried best. I also like to cut in half brush with olive oil salt pepper sliced or minced garlic and top with bread crumbs and an other drizzle of oil. Put in oven about 350 deg or so bake till tender. by the way like to do same with tomatos. Love me some zuccini bread too

Old Philosopher
08-10-2011, 12:35 AM
and a goof loaf of zucchini bread does a tummy good as well.

++1 on this!!!