PDA

View Full Version : European Issue Canteen Cups??!!

b owdenja
08-23-2011, 12:58 AM
http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=Eurocup1&catid=1576&ItemName=Canteen Cup European Issue

OK........ so I bought these aluminum cups from Uncle Sam's Army Navy Outfitters and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal.......... WRONG!

They don't fit USGI Canteens......... they are way too small. Not sure what they will go with besides "European Issue Canteens" which....... there ain't any as far as I can find.

My question is......... what the heck can I do with them now, besides recycle them?

Any ideas?

Thanks

john

Oh..... by the way.............. don't get these and think they will fit on a USGI plastic 1 QT canteen......... because they WON"T!!!!!!!:(

tennecedar
08-23-2011, 01:29 AM
I have one and the metal canteen that fits it. They are a bit smaller than U.S. issued but function like they should. Maybe you can find a couple of the right canteens so it won't be a complete loss.

jason uk
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
not seen them before dutch cups will fit the us canteens
i use a stainless austrian issue cup same shape as the british crusader but has a us style fold under handle

Grizzix
08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
cut the bottom off and make a stove stand/wind screen.

Panzer
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe French. Either way I would just get a US issue stainless cup, they can be had pretty cheap. Maybe give the aluminum one away.

Spork
08-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I have a couple of those cups I picked up years ago...L-handle, thick aluminum.
Mine are Belgian, they are stamped on the bottom:

ABL
UMAL

ABL stands for Armee Belge-Belgisch Leger. A plastic USGI canteens stops about an inch short of bottoming out in them.

The USGI canteen fits about the same way in the Dutch canteen cups I have.

Apparently NATO spec water bottles have a more tapered bottom than the USGI canteens. They have Belgian canteens here - Hassayampa Surplus (http://www.shop.hassayampasurplus.com/product.sc?productId=793&categoryId=2). I don't have one yet, but I'm guessing that they will also fit the Dutch cups properly.

My favorite is the aluminum French canteen cups. Lighter than the Belgian and large enough to hold a USGI canteen. They have less taper on the bottom and a USGI stove stand will not fit without modification. The French have their own canteen cup stove stand however, and it is pretty nice.

b owdenja
08-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Spork........ Thanks, mine are marked the same except for the year, I just ordered canteens to fit the cups....... sure wished Uncle Sam's had that noted on the site.

Grizzix........ I was thinking about that, and IF I had not already cut out a Nimblewill Nomad Stove I would have given this a go. Eventhough the "stove" would have not fit in the canteen case with the other cup and canteen.

I appreciate everone's in-put!

john

Spork
08-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Glad to be of assistance :dblthumb:

I actually just ordered some myself. I've probably had these Belgian cups for nearly 10 years and this is the first time I've seen canteens that might fit them.

b owdenja
08-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Alrighty! My canteens arrived today and low and behold they fit the cups! Yeah!

Spork
08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
That's good to hear, mine should be here next week I reckon. Are they in good condition?

b owdenja
08-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Spork...... YES! Mine were in very good condition....... I got three. Mine were dated '83, '93, and '06 and are marked "NIET VERWARMEN" No Heat

Random Observation........

1. They are more robust than the USGI issue. The plastic seems thicker and harder.

2. The caps have a clear seal in the lid, maybe this will keep them from leaking if they are set down and fall over on their sides with the cap on.

3. They do have a "warehouse" smell to them, but I'm sure some cleaning with baking soda will remove this.

4. Not sure but I do believe they are not exactly 1 QT. Which is probably correct since they are "euro" and are probably metric...... DUH on my part.
But they are definitely smaller then a USGI issue.

5. Both cup and canteen fit well in an ALICE canteen cover.

All in all I am very pleased with these and will use them on my Bug Out Bag.

Thanks again for the link!

john

Spork
08-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Mine were delivered yesterday...found the package on the porch this morning :34:

Two of them are marked KL 93 (along with the Niet Verwarmen). From what I know KL stands for Koninklijke Landmacht - Dutch Army. They fit the both the Dutch and Belgian canteen cups fine.

The third canteen is marked MVD 06, I don't know what MVD stands for.