PDA

View Full Version : Areas in AL that are gun/carry friendly?

mr_nice_guy228
09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I recently sent an email about camping at Sipsey Wilderness at Bankhead, and the reply I got back was "it's complicated because it's a Wilderness Area, stuck inside a Wildlife management area, stuck inside a national forest".
That puts a hold on my plans for camping there for the time being.
Any areas in N. AL you know to be carry (concealed) friendly, and any you know to be unfriendly for overnight outings?

FTG-05
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Go to the bottom of the second page and note #29. There's a reason that #29 is underlined and the previous 28 rules are not. Whoever you asked is an idiot and should never ever be asked again about gun laws in the state of Alabama.

http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/hunting/land/wildlife-areas/wmamaps/Black%20Warrior%202011-2012.pdf

Further, Alabama is an open carry state, so you can OC while afoot unless a business posts a sign otherwise (not many of those in AL) or it's not allowed by law (courthouses, police stations, schools etc.).

You do need a CWP to have a handgun in the car unless it's locked up; but if you already have your AL CWP, you probably already know that.

Good luck and have a great time in the Sipsey!

Kerri
09-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Alabama is one of the more gun friendly states I dont think youll have an issue carrying anywhere

Mississippi Rob
09-18-2011, 02:16 PM
If you want to hunt in the Sipsey Wilderness, you may have an issue. If you just want to carry your gun with you, no problem.

mr_nice_guy228
09-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I just want to carry it for personal protection. No intention on hunting; don't even have a license yet. Only hunting I do is at home on personal land. Just looking for somewhere to hike and camp for a couple 2 nighters.
Just recently had my appendix removed and having complications from it bursting so it looks like I have plenty of time to keep researching.

santaman2000
09-22-2011, 09:52 AM
The only thing that would make it "complicated" is that some areas such as wildlife management areas and national/State Forests (I don't know Alabama specifics) regulate a little tighter because of poaching concerns (quite different from anti-gun attitudes) Therefore the "firearms" laws per se aren't the only ones you want to check; check related hunting laws and WMA regs also. Even though you have no intention of hunting, the game warden doesn't know that and if you're in a WMA they kinda assume you DO intend to hunt.

bamabubba
03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah sipsey is about as uncomplicated as it gets. I grew up in Lawrence county on the edge of sipsey and we all carried. Still do.
Have a great time

FTG-05
03-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I just had a discussion about this with a National Forest LEO last Friday on open carrying of handguns while in the WMA - in this case I was waiting at the parking lot to pick up my son from his three day hike in the SW.

During the course of the conversation, the LEO emphatically stated that you needed a CWP to open carry in the WMA due to "additional regulations". I think this is BS myself and I plan to take it up with the Commissioner of the AL Fish Game Dept.

In the meantime, I highly recommend that you if open carry in the WMA areas, carry your CWP, unless you feel like being a test case.

Good luck.

santaman2000
03-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I just had a discussion about this with a National Forest LEO last Friday on open carrying of handguns while in the WMA - in this case I was waiting at the parking lot to pick up my son from his three day hike in the SW.

During the course of the conversation, the LEO emphatically stated that you needed a CWP to open carry in the WMA due to "additional regulations". I think this is BS myself and I plan to take it up with the Commissioner of the AL Fish Game Dept...

I wish you luck but...If your complaint is about what a "National Forest LEO" old you then the Commisioner of the Al Fish & Game Dept. will have no say; Federal and state regs are totally independent of each other.

That said, I have no idea what either is.