PDA

View Full Version : "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms."

OregonDave
09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9PKHEH00%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011

If he was out hunting squirrels, had a shotgun with shells, why eat worms?
:25:
OD

NorthernBushcraft
09-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Strange story with many unanswered questions. Glad he was found and is in good health, but I can't help but wonder how far he chased that dang squirrel! :)

draco
09-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Ya that is a little strange. I bet he was walking in circles to cover that much distance and end up 3 miles from where he started. It does go to show that you can't count on shooting food. You have to trap it.

What always bothers me is the dogs can't follow him? How come these dogs can smell a single marijuana seed dropped in Ron Whites airplane but can't find a whole guy who wants to be found? Seems fishy to me.

zammer
09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Sounds like his buddies ditched him...lol

Horseapple
09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Hope I dont come across like an armchair Quarterback, but that guy sounds like he had no buisness being in the woods....lol

OLD DOG
09-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Want a list of the things he did wrong? Adds up to quite a bunch!

TinderWolf
09-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I agree his buddies left him out there.

Yellow Lab
09-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I think there are some great lessons here. He may never have had any reason to worry about getting lost while hunting and was very comfortable with this. This is what can kill.

I'm sure most of us would have done things very differently. It is highly likely that if he had made more preparation and had some woods knowledge this man may have just been lost for a few hours rather than 5 days.

His continuous movement and using his shells to signal just moved him closer to a potentially fatal end. With woods sense he would likely had figured out that shotgun shells work much better at killing squirrels or rabbits for food that using them to signal. Knowledge is power....

Fortunately he was found. Good ending and many lessons. Hopefully some folks that may typically do what he did and think through the what if things go south while I'm out hiking, hunting, etc.

madmax
09-08-2011, 07:43 PM
He had the Mississippi river to the west, a road to the south, a road to the east, 20 miles of hiking trails, an 8 mile horseback trail, a 5 mile bicycle trail. There are 300 picnic tables in the park. A campground. 2 fishing lakes. From the river on the west to the road on the east side is only a coupla miles. I get the feeling that to get lost for 5 days in a park like that, there's more to this story than we're hearing.
Glad he's safe.

GreyOne
09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Looking back in hind sight, I am sure he can identify a number of mistakes that led to him being in trouble. Fortunately, his good luck seems to have won out.

I was struck by his having eaten worms, _because he saw it on TV_ !

This is the prime reason behind the posts here pointing out failures of common sense in TV programs supposedly about survival / bushcraft. It really does matter when they do something on TV.

ElectricHellfire
09-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Must be a Bear Grylls watcher. :4:

ki4iwd
09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
as someone who back in the late 80s spent a lot of time in Shelby forest i find it hard to believe he walked 35 miles and wound up only 3 miles from where he started. there are many many trails throughout the area that you can hunt in. the largest stretch of woods is from pigman bridge to the lower lake approx.
6000 acres. if he truly walked the 5 days he should have made it to one of the heavily marked trails and found his way out. i agree a long time has passed sense i was there but being a state park i doubt it has changed very much. this time of year there are hundreds of people out in the park hunting,water skiing and just out for a drive in the forest there are miles and miles of roads that weave through the park. i just find it hard to believe

actichy
09-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I've been to Meeman-Shelby State Park, too. I didn't explore too many of the trails, but something here does seem strange. It sounds to me like he wanted the attention.

OregonDave
09-08-2011, 08:48 PM
G1: Are you saying I shouldn't hanker after elephant poop water in the Pacific North West in a survival situation? I'm sure I saw it on the TeeWee or summit.
;)
OD

Ahnkochee
09-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Must be a Bear Grylls watcher. :4:

Nah, if he watched Grylls he would have drank his own pee. ;)

DanTN
09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, I grew up not 2 miles from this Park and my father and I had the same disbelief. Having said that, the "Park" area is small and very rough and basically virgin timber. Ther is quite a bit more WMA and managed land around it, Particularly down in the bottoms which is where a lot of hunters go. Still, less than 2 miles in any ONE direction would have put him on a road or against the river in which case upstream less than a mile from a boat launch and downstream maybe 4 miles from DOWNTOWN Memphis. The TV interview was priceless though, definately did not come across as the sharpest tool in the Shed.

PDE
09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
It'll be a little longer than a couple of days before I start eating worms......

DanTN
09-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Not only that, but all he had to do was sit under a hickory tree and pretend to be deer hunting and the squirells would be falling into his lap.

Dirtymike
09-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Man I think he just took a bush craft vacation and then played it off as being lost and facing sudden death poor me. Not a bad idea. Except my wife and family would worry. But maybe i could tell them and just use the story to get out of work. hummm. Really if you have ammo dont waste it if you think you hear someone. Use it to kill your dang food. I hunt a 10000 acre public land WMA. It aint that dang big relativly. I am telling you was out there playing Bear G and having a good ol time. Stash a cooler of beer ahead of time, some steaks. Shoot. I need 5 days off in the woods with a shot gun and ammo. Flash light even. :) I can handle some bug bites. It would irritate my read alot less than some of the people I have worked with for sure. Now to start planning my "getting lost"....

Two Rivers
09-08-2011, 10:58 PM
G1: Are you saying I shouldn't hanker after elephant poop water in the Pacific North West in a survival situation? I'm sure I saw it on the TeeWee or summit.
;)
OD

If you find elephant poop water in the Pacific North West, Go for it, its your lucky day.

Oh ya.....and play the lottery when you get home too.

rob/saltrock
09-09-2011, 01:30 AM
maybe he needed a few days off work?
rob/saltrock

Dirtymike
09-09-2011, 10:02 AM
We were thinking alike.

thesilence
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds like what really happened is his friends took him "snipe" hunting

jloden
09-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I was struck by his having eaten worms, _because he saw it on TV_ !

This is the prime reason behind the posts here pointing out failures of common sense in TV programs supposedly about survival / bushcraft. It really does matter when they do something on TV.

I thought the same thing, G1 - first thing that came to mind is I wonder if he saw that on Dual Survival, there was an episode where Cody ate worms and talked about them as survival food in an emergency.

Clearly the guy wasn't prepared for being stuck out in the woods, and while he made plenty of mistakes, he did at least some things right and ultimately he made it out OK. With these kinds of stories I make every effort NOT to armchair quarterback. It's easy to look back on something like this and see all the mistakes and scoff, saying "That'd never have happened to me". But, things are always different when they're happening to you, and you're right in the middle of it. Instead I just try to look at these stories as opportunities to analyze what went wrong, what went right, and how to prepare for or avoid similar situations.

Rubicon_Dave
09-09-2011, 11:22 AM
He had the Mississippi river to the west, a road to the south, a road to the east, 20 miles of hiking trails, an 8 mile horseback trail, a 5 mile bicycle trail. There are 300 picnic tables in the park. A campground. 2 fishing lakes. From the river on the west to the road on the east side is only a coupla miles. I get the feeling that to get lost for 5 days in a park like that, there's more to this story than we're hearing.
Glad he's safe.

I agree... I just checked out the topo map for the area and that's a small park as parks go, especially in my neck of the woods. If he were to walk east/west it's only 3 miles from the edge of the Mississippi river to any roads. Even if he goofed and walked north/south along the Ol' Miss he would have found something within 10 miles. (General Dewitt airport to the south and Bear Creek or Coon Valley roads to the north)

From the images I've pulled up from the park it doesn't look to me like impassable bog and swamp... looks like your run of the mill forest to me. He could easily cover that distance on foot in a days time.

Of course I'm arm chair quarter-backing but it sounds like those that have been/live there agree.

xutopia
09-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I have friends who make fun of me bringing a tarp, my knife and a firesteel for an afternoon walk in the woods. But you never know when these things will come handy.

A knife and firesteel can help you build a fire virtually anywhere. A fire helps you save energy and help search and rescue teams spot you. A tarp could have helped for shelter and gathering water so he wouldn't collapse in a few days.

And seriously with a few shells couldn't he have built a fire?

quidditchfan
09-09-2011, 11:47 AM
This guy needs to take a refresher course in common sense.The first thing all of us are taught from the time we are knee high till you die of old age is if you are lost sit still if you can it's easier to find you. Ether this guy has no clue and if that's true his buddy's need a kick in the rear for letting him out of sight or he was just looking for attention.Just using common sense if he was not panicking he could have kept one direction using the sun,our WMA's are huge here in south MS nothing but swampland but you still can't walk more than a few miles in any one direction without hitting a trail,road or river.All that being said I'm glad he's alright, maybe this will be a learning experience and he will get a little woods training under his belt before he goes out again, at least pick up a compass and learn how to use it.

Victor
09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Seems like evolution to me. Sometimes good things happen to undeserving folks too.

Sorry if that seems a bit hard folks but I have been called worse than hard a time or billion.

Victor

gloomhound
09-09-2011, 12:04 PM
He survived.

Seniorman
09-09-2011, 12:31 PM
THE ARTICLE - "Lawrence said he had ... a can of dipping tobacco."

Well, you just gotta admit, he had the real essentials: snuff. ;)

S.M.

AaronMB
09-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Arm-chairing the Hail Mary... ;)

He didn't want to be found, if he was even there.
All that time, in such a small place and even the pros couldn't find him? He was hiding out or he bailed somewhere else for a while...lol.

joe305
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
I have friends who make fun of me bringing a tarp, my knife and a firesteel for an afternoon walk in the woods. But you never know when these things will come handy.

A knife and firesteel can help you build a fire virtually anywhere. A fire helps you save energy and help search and rescue teams spot you. A tarp could have helped for shelter and gathering water so he wouldn't collapse in a few days.

And seriously with a few shells couldn't he have built a fire?

Yes sir.....I agree.......I mean what kind of a "Hunter" goes into the woods without a knife

"I was drinking muddy water ... eating worms. Yeah, I'd seen that on TV. I ate worms."

I really hope he get out and learns some Basic wilderness Survival Skills...
This hole report is too vague and really missing allot of details. I'm sure the rest of his crew was just as dumb as him....

Kimber45guy
09-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Glad he's safe.

I agree. Even though I'm new here I have an extensive amount of time in the field and bush hunting. I always take supplies in case I get stuck, but I think it's important to note how close he was to finding his way to someone who could help. I'm making this statement without looking at a map so maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like he simply didn't use any common sense nor did he prepare in any way for this possibility. Does anyone have more details on this?