PDA

View Full Version : Age limit idea?

Mooncrow
09-18-2011, 01:47 PM
In the interests of maintaining the “family friendliness” of the site, would there be any interest, or is it even possible, to put an age limit access to Off-topic Categories, specifically any threads that are emotionally charged like politics or religion.

I understand that the diversity of the membership, both in age and life experiences make for an unimaginable task for the Moderators to deal with, and I applaud their efforts. I also understand that we live in volatile times with a lot of crazy things in society to comment on, especially in light of the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

That being said, there have been posts in recent weeks and days, that IMO, cross the line on what the kids that frequent here should see. I’m not judging…everyone has a right to their opinion. My opinions on certain aspects of society would rankle some, and I like a good, intelligent debate as well. But this is about “family friendliness”…we are not at a tavern. I can choose not to look at certain topics, which I am starting to do, so I don't get wound up and ruin my day. Personally, getting rid of politics and religion altogether would be dandy with me… I’m here for the bushcraft… but it’s not my forum, and I respect that. And I REALLY appreciate the fact that you have a suggestion area…Again, I’m just wondering what, if any thoughts are on the matter. Thanks again for the great resource, and for hearing me out…Take Care, Dave (Mooncrow)

Dr. Redneck
09-18-2011, 01:50 PM
good idea, there is some, err... explicit posts

Toddler
09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I agree with the thought, the unfortunate thing is that I don't see anyway to police the info. People, as we have learned can misrepresent themselves on this and many other forums. That being said, I do think there is some merit in your idea. Kudos for being there concerned about kids!

Mooncrow
09-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I just can't remember if there was a "date of birth" slot in the registration process...at least maybe that would take care of a good percentage of it, IF it was even do-able...I know computers as well as i know women (been married 3 times!)

sidecarr
09-18-2011, 02:17 PM
My son is on here doing the classes, I watch what web sights and links he goes on ,if parents took the responsibility to know what their kids are doing they wouldn't have to worry about what they see or read on the internet.

GreyOne
09-18-2011, 02:25 PM
There are limits for age registration, unless sponsored by an adult member, but the ability to fake an age / dob means that we cannot count on that as a filter.

While the software will allow restricting access to a certain forum for say supporters, it is not , as I understand it, set up to restrict based on age. That has been discussed by the mods and owners, and we do what we can within the limits of the software.

Faol has worked extensively on the issue, and done about all that can be done at this time.

My only suggestion is to re-read a post, and check your language, with the "family friendly" language idea in mind, and to hit the report button if you see a post you would not want your child to read. We will do what we can to keep it clean, without choking off discussion in the process.

Mooncrow
09-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree whole-heartedly with you sidecarr...My youngest of three is off to college now, and yes, it is a fulltime job monitoring their safety...now I have 5 grandkids to do the same with! That's why it's nice to know there are sites like this that the kids can learn from. But they are exposed to a lot stuff here...an "adult" post (not #### in nature, but adult in mindset or emotion) can pop up in a heart beat. I'm not trying to lay the responsibility of anything on our forum moderators, I'm just curious if any kind of tweeking can be done to limit the young ones viewing. I think it's ultimately up to the members to try and remember that our kids DO have access to what they are posting, and post accordingly...I do know that's hard when your fire is up...I've been guilty of it too...

Mooncrow
09-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Greyone, I just saw it while I was responding to another...

GreyOne
09-18-2011, 02:40 PM
This is a site for adults, and it is going to have some things, such as graphic pictures from hunting and fishing. There are adult level discussions that perhaps _some_ children are not ready for, though others may be.

Other than trying to control our language, and write as we would speak in mixed company, my main concern has been those who are young enough to be unwary about what they post or ask. We can all remember a few who were asking for someone to "take them camping". Now, that is an open invitation to a pedophile, and presents a danger we all need to be aware of. It can also be a troll post by someone looking to bait a pedophile into contacting them. Either way, those are problems we all should be aware of, and report if they are seen.
Just my two cents.
G1

Sav
09-18-2011, 03:03 PM
I like that idea

quidditchfan
09-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Way I look at it is the members here,that are adults,should be with their kids while the are on the forum,and should sensor the post themselves,both the one's they read and the one's they post,if they are worried about language,or anything else they feel their children should not see.As GreyOne said,it is an adult forum with adult discussions and while I applaud and recommended raising your kids in knowing about bushcraft as well as other outdoor activity's,the parents are defense #1 against inappropriate material and possible pedophiles or others who are out to harm them.It is up to you to be vigilant don't count on anyone else,while we try to sensor our language there is always some slips of the tongue so to speak.
That's just my opinion.

Sgt. Mac
09-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Parental monitoring on Internet activities should always be done irregardless of whether its on this Forum or anywhere for that matter.JMHO

Zig
09-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Parental monitoring on Internet activities should always be done irregardless of whether its on this Forum or anywhere for that matter.JMHO

I'm with Sgt. Mac on this one. I think that the responsibility lies with the parents to monitor their child's activities. Any attempt we as a community make to censor certain language will have minimal effect on the child's overall internet experience.

That's not to say that it isn't nice to have a friendly environment here. I love that about this forum. I just think we've found a pretty good medium here. Let the parents make the final decisions.

upthecreek
09-18-2011, 03:57 PM
It's up to the parents to ensure their youngster doesn't digest "inappropriate" content. I'm here because this is a finely run internet community as I can imagine. Our mods work way more than we know to keep the level of civility that it is I'm sure. Lets not saddle them anymore burdens.

mischief
09-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I belive that some of the adults here need adult supervision also

45jack
09-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I support this forum because it's an adult forum.
Kids now days are probably exposed to worse on the playground and on TV daily.

fx77
09-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Never confuse maturity and age limit.
Like confusing school with education.

Mooncrow
09-18-2011, 04:34 PM
For what it's worth, I don't feel like my post was anything but a suggestion in the "Suggestion" sub-forum that is made available to supporters...I wasn't condoning censorship nor trying to saddle the mods with more stuff to do...in fact, I was hoping that, if do-able, my suggestion would make Greyone's job easier...nothing more.

I too firmly believe that parents have the ultimate responsibility in what their kids are allowed to come in contact with...I am also enough of a realist to know that that isn't always the case (ei, to monitor 100% of a kids internet exposure...this isn't like setting up a filter on a computer to catch search parameters like "boobs" or something of that nature, these are public posts). And as Greyone said, policing our posts is very important (instead of posting 5 grinning faces and 3 thumbs up, when someone refers to an African-American women as looking like an ape!) In light of that, and because we want to be family friendly here, I was just inquiring if there was a technical, keystroke type thing that could be implemented...that's all.

Thanks again Greyone for your informative replies, I appreciate it greatly...

Grizzix
09-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Could there just be an 18+ forum that only@allows people in based on registered age? We can only do what we can do. If someone lies about their age then that's not on us.

GreyOne
09-18-2011, 04:43 PM
The suggestion has merit, the problems are technical. Thinking about such problems is always a good idea, and worth discussion.
One point I have to make is that , while parents are in-arguably responsible for their children's online safety, we on this board are responsible for dealing with the ones who get here without a parental guide. That has sometimes meant removing them from our membership, for the safety of all. It is a painful decision, as we can see how much they want to learn about bushcraft. Some of you may know of the cases we have had like this. I wish we could run a completely child safe sub forum, but if we did, they would not want to stay there. :(

dads95yj
09-18-2011, 10:33 PM
I like the idea, but I'm not sure that it's possible. As a parent, I consider it my responsibility to filter what my kids surf.

tennecedar
09-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I see a great effort from all the members here to police themselves. I'm happy to let my boys read the threads here. There are times when a PG-13 word slips out but nothing I have to fear scarring them for life.

The worst thing I've witnessed is youngsters that are posting things that will get them hurt. Stuff like "I have a knife and a box of matches, how long can I stay in the woods?" Or asking for medical advice from strangers.

wls
09-19-2011, 07:15 AM
I'm with Sgt. Mac on this one. I think that the responsibility lies with the parents to monitor their child's activities. Any attempt we as a community make to censor certain language will have minimal effect on the child's overall internet experience.

That's not to say that it isn't nice to have a friendly environment here. I love that about this forum. I just think we've found a pretty good medium here. Let the parents make the final decisions.

+1
The main thing that all of us can do is use the report button if we have any doubts about language, content, etc.

I think 99.9% of the people on this forum are aware that people of all ages and walks of life read this forum:dblthumb:

Flintlock
09-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Personally, I would like to know the age of the member. This would be helpful in responding to comments made or simply smiling in patient understanding.

rpilthea
09-19-2011, 08:28 AM
+1
The main thing that all of us can do is use the report button if we have any doubts about language, content, etc.

I think 99.9% of the people on this forum are aware that people of all ages and walks of life read this forum:dblthumb:

+1

The Admins and Mods can only take things at face value.

Once someone opens their mouths, you can usually figure out their general age.

Besides,
there are Way more Juvenile "adults" and Posers than there young ones!

Save for a few questionable "Youths", the kids here tend to pull their own weight.

JMHO.

lepercan
09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Please. . . Define "Adult". I know some awfully tall/old children and some awfully short grownups.

Panzer
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I personally don't know why young kids need to be on forums. Too many issues and they are hard to police for the parents and the forum owners. If it was my forum I wouldn't allow anyone under 18 on a forum. But that's my opinion, which ain't worth much.

Adam
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I personally don't know why young kids need to be on forums. Too many issues and they are hard to police for the parents and the forum owners. If it was my forum I wouldn't allow anyone under 18 on a forum. But that's my opinion, which ain't worth much.

I suppose it depends on your perspective.

When I was 15, I was heavily active in more than a few gun forums and would on a daily basis answer questions for folks far older than myself. I also interacted with many “grown ups” that would bait every member for an argument with almost every post they made. If you can contribute something that I don’t know, and do so in a mature and respectful manner, I really don’t care how old you are. But again, my perspective is coming from someone who was a young whippersnapper who knew what I was talking about on a given subject.

sidecarr
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM

My thought exactly ,to many people want everyone else to be responsible for their kids ,but they don't want to watch them . My son doesn't get to go on the internet unless me or my wife are there monitoring his activities, I know where I would have been on the internet when I was 10 (If it existed) and not being monitored. It wouldn't be BushcraftUsa.