PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Field Hygiene Forum?

INFANTRY
09-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Hello, I know that I have not been a memeber for long here so maybe this suggestion has little weight. But with all the great info here at BushCraftUSA there is very little about Field Hygiene. I'd think it would be good to discuss this topic to show members that good hygiene and field sanitation are key to good health and just good practice. Dicussions could cover keeping the body clean, tooth care, proper disposal of all types of waste, cleaned cooking equipment in the field, making hygiene kits for the rucksack, cleaning clothes in the bush, leaving your camp site in good natural order,first aid, etc. Now if this is covered some where all ready, then thanks for your time and I'm sorry to waste it. INFANTRY

Zornt
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Good idea.. I think it has been mentioned a few times in some posts, but I have never seen a full thread on the subject. I know I will probably have the family show a bunch of links to prove me wrong, but that is what our friends do to share the wealth with us.

Leif
09-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Certainly it can fit in "Bush Medicine", or "Other skills" forums.

We don't need a whole new one for it.

smokewalker
09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Here it is in a nut shell:
Wash your hands before handling your food.
Store trash away from camp and your food in the opposite direction.
The coffee tastes better when the latrines are dug down stream from camp.
Do all Bathing and Washing down stream from where your getting your water and before the latrine.
Air out and powder feet and change your socks at noon tie the old ones to your pack to dry and get some sun to kill the Bacteria along with your drawers unless your going commando.:4:

nothinghead
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Do all Bathing and Washing down stream from where your getting your water and before the latrine.
Air out and powder feet and change your socks at noon tie the old ones to your pack to dry and get some sun to kill the Bacteria along with your drawers unless your going commando.:4:

Amen!

556mp
09-19-2011, 06:31 PM

And carve a toothpick after every meal ;)

And if you're out for more than two or three days (Or with a lady) bring some mouthwash or a toothbrush....

Lerch
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
And don't use the stream/creek as a latrine PLEASE! I know the fish do but still I'd rather not be camping downstream from someone doing this.

Falstaff
09-19-2011, 07:07 PM
In the desert, Wet Ones and hand sanitizer are your friend. If your in survival mode then the root of the yucca can be put in a water bottle and shaken to produce a natural soap that the Apache used to use to stay clean.

INFANTRY
09-20-2011, 07:24 AM

And here is starting a fire in a nut shells:
Take old paper, twist it into knots place on ground. Place small twigs on top. Light with Bic. Add larger and large pieces of wood as fire grows.;)

Now I know there is dozen of threads one proper Bushcraft fire starting, the topic is not "in a nut shell". But if the staff feels there is no need for a seperate forum, then I trust their judgment. My idea was just a suggestion. I still feel its a good idea, especially knowing now that some members only brush their teeth when girls are around.:36: :4:

556mp
09-20-2011, 07:31 AM
A toothpick and some water swooshed work just fine while in the bush for a day or two.. I don't see the need to brush and floss three times a day when in the woods. It's really not that big 0f a deal. Do you bring deodorant and hair gel when you go in the woods? Change of clothes for every day? Razor to shave? Some people may, I'm not sure....

Why don't we just make this the "Bush Hygiene" thread... ;)

INFANTRY
09-20-2011, 08:09 AM
I was just teasing you about the brushing teeth comments.;) But no, deoderant has nothing to do with keeping clean. Its just made to mask, cover or block smells. Hair jell is for looks, nothing to do with staying clean, shaving the face, with or without facial hair, one can be clean.

nothinghead
09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Chew fresh dogwood branches into fuzzy ends. use this to brush your teeth. it'll work better than tooth paste.

draco
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I just figure if you don't like my smell you can stop breathing. :) Pretty hard to stay clean but for crying out loud take hand sanatizer and use it after bathroom and before meals. I have heard that smoke baths are supposed to help with bacteria and such but I have never wanted to smell like smoke either.

JC1
09-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I have used sand to clean pots and pans and then rinse in the creek.

dinosaurwill
12-09-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm not really sure if this falls under medicine, or if I should've put it in the "Other Skills" section. Anyway, here goes: what do you folks out there use to keep clean in a cold-weather camping/outdoor living scenario? I realize that "taking a dip" isn't usually an option in temperatures under 50 degrees F.

joe305
12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
I just wipe down with a cotton rag with hot water and soap. Or just use baby wipes...the wet wipes go quick though...

HillbillyBushcraft
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
+1 on the hot soapy water rag.

Brazito
12-09-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm not really sure if this falls under medicine, or if I should've put it in the "Other Skills" section. Anyway, here goes: what do you folks out there use to keep clean in a cold-weather camping/outdoor living scenario? I realize that "taking a dip" isn't usually an option in temperatures under 50 degrees F.

50 degrees???? More like 70 if I'm bathing in it.

akabu
12-09-2011, 01:50 AM
wet wipes next to the bod to warm them up other than that rag wet to the fire to make hot by the time it gets to the bod will cool down:o

Joshuajk
12-09-2011, 01:57 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Flush-Personal-Hygiene-Wipes/dp/B000P9GNE8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1323413418&sr=8-8

Wet ones, Leave you feeling baby fresh.

mangywhitebushman
12-09-2011, 02:37 AM
for how long? where? when?

Peacelovingirl
12-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Cowboy up and take the dip just make sure you have your fire ready... warm blanket and clothes and plenty of day light. or you can just bath with a rag...Wouldn't bath in nasty water though... P.s. yucca root = soap

jeapadrenaline
12-09-2011, 03:16 AM
fresh water and a rag, with some soap. if there is snow on the ground, just roll in the snow and rub down with it. yes even in sub-freezing temps. snow will work like a loofa sponge and helps get circulation going. i did this every evening on my last winter camping trip (-20F) and i was never cold overnight.

Antig
12-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Being a little dirty is healthy, it keeps you a bit warmer in cold climates. I'm not sure what you consider as cold weather as it is constantly 45 F inside my home but spot washing can be done easily out in the bush.

I'm going to lose some friends after this but what we do is "spot clean" every week or two weeks or so and not get a "real" bath / shower until summer when it is easier to boil the water.

I always have 5-6 layers of clothing on and I hardly sweat so it is not too much of an issue. Keep in mind that I'm talking about snowy or sub 55 degree weather though.

solocanoe
12-09-2011, 04:41 AM
well, if it's only a few days...hey, I'm not worried about it, truth be told! lol.

we went 45 days in the field with one or two showers a bunch of times in the Army, and that was just the deal.
Spongebath's from a canteen cup of warm water will tide ya over when you need it. :D

SwampHanger
12-09-2011, 05:55 AM
well, if it's only a few days...hey, I'm not worried about it, truth be told! lol.

we went 45 days in the field with one or two showers a bunch of times in the Army, and that was just the deal.
Spongebath's from a canteen cup of warm water will tide ya over when you need it. :D

How true!

Rockmonkey
12-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Often just use the rag/wet wipe/sponge bath method for the major parts, hands, feet, front, face, fanny. If there is some dirt near your elbow it isn't a big deal unless you get cut. But those are the areas that are prone to develop problems if not kept at least somewhat clean and maintained.

SkyPainter
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM

====> Truth! Been there. Going "Commando" (no undergarments to speak of) also helps control wetness and friction rashes (yes, it is still a consideration in the winter, with consequences that are no fun), and keep the clothing closest to the skin dryer, to help with preventing hypothermia. Occasional wipe-downs with a wet rag or commercial wipes is adequate most times. This works for doing long hikes, but the hot shower/bath is really appreciated when you get the chance again!

Sky

nickosnow
12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I bought one of those pocket showers and I've only used it once just to try it. For me its a "sponge bath". Wipe down with a rag warm water and a little bit of soap. I'll take a dip if its not freezing.

ohski
12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I brush my teeth at least daily and wash my hands after any "cat hole" trips and before I eat... Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Ski

joe305
12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Spongebath's from a canteen cup

Ewwww, man.....is that before or after the coffee:4:

BushyBeard
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I just spray on some deoderent AKA "Hippy Shower":27::26:;) Kidding
Sponge bath works good

Scott Allen
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I've taken baths in weather so cold that my hair froze after getting out. NO FUN! The water was actually warmer than the air. Now that I'm older and not so tough, I either use wet wipes or heat some water and take a PTA bath.

Scott

solocanoe
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Ewwww, man.....is that before or after the coffee:4:

if you've ever had the pleasure...of a pot of rot gut coffee made on the engine cover of a howizer or APC....
I'm not sure it matters. :p

Bobcat
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
The types of hygiene items I bring are always (planned) trip dependable. That being said, my no frills field kit I always bring is a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap for washing and brushing my teeth, as well as other cleaning duties, a travel tooth brush and a small MSR towel for a washcloth.

MykeS
12-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Then of course there is the "smoke" bath. It also helps to keep the bugs away.

Friartuck
12-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Baby wipes = B!tch bath. Good enough for me. FYI, I WILL have either mouth wash or toothbrush and toothpaste with me for anything more than one night out, can't freshen the breath with baby wipes.

8thsinner
12-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I use and carry a solar shower 10l sea to summit. Can be used as a shower better if you have fire and mess tins though. Can also be used as a yeast oven, and dry/compression bag for other gear...The hot to cold whilst you dress is god for your skin and immune system anyway. but do make sure you have dry warm clothes ready...Use a tarp as a shower box to keep wind down...

I have used my akubra as a sink with a plastic bag lining, for shaving with, I usually carry a straight razor with me, brush knott, and Palmolive shave sticks...Nothing makes you feel as fresh than a good clean shave.

However, facial scrubs or liquid soaps with sand or salt in come very very close...

Baby wipes are good for cleaning but rubbish to use cold, and I never feel fresh after using them myself...warm them first if you use them though...

But I prefer a good ex foliating face cloth to really scrub down with, using hot water.
If you make your own, use a Basket weave stitch (crochet)...and put strings around the outside so it can be drawn up like a pouch, and put all the wet stuff in to it, then swing it around whilst you walk or what ever to dry it off quickly...
If you choose a beanie for wearing too, and pick carefully, you could use it as a good scrubbing cloth too.

I would never go out without a tooth brush either. Even if it's nothing but bristles, and water in usage. I still have potassium permanganate as a mouth wash if I need it. And or for mild surface infections. Also Colgate started doing really tiny travel tubes over here recently, it's handy.

Also tea tree oil, Just for it's antiseptic nature, if your talking really long term, at some point that rag is going to be stored wet and tea tree will stop mold...

If it's cold and you do make the mistake of sweating like a bitch from over or rushed work, a small square of quartz deodorant crystals are a must.

toggy
12-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I've gone and splashed myself in the creek when it's 45 degrees outside and the water is VERY chilly. Then run up to the fire where a pot of water is already heated up. Quick rag bath and dry off. Feels like a million bucks afterward.

But generally I don't care how I look or smell unless I am deer hunting (smell)

Wet wipes are great as well, and as long as we're being open, I want to mention butt paste. It's gotten me through some hard times:

Butt paste (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=boudreaux+butt+paste&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS432US432&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=753&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9451055994514268357&sa=X&ei=HhjkToqnNIfx0gHrnZSDBg&ved=0CIgBEPICMAI)

But yea, cotton underwear is bad. The last thing one needs in Minnesota is to have wet cotton on your privates wet when it's ten below zero.

chinookpilot77
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
wet wipes, or heated water sponge bath....but unless its been more than 3 days, I dont even bother.

Brazito
09-23-2012, 07:25 AM
When wilderness camping without shower facilities how do you clean yourself.

I'm thinking baby wipes or something similar but they're so small.

Anybody have a link to a prepackaged product of this type significantly larger than a baby wipe?

Jonah L. Archer
09-23-2012, 07:31 AM
I found a product at Walmart called Hunters body wipes or something like that. They are about the size of a kitchen towel, but basically still a baby wipe. They are also odor free. I think they are made by a company called Hunter's Specialties. They work pretty good for what you're describing.

Jonah L. Archer
09-23-2012, 07:33 AM
This is them....

http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Scent-A-Way-Odorless-Towels/dp/B00162MKXQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Mannlicher
09-23-2012, 07:35 AM
hygiene to just make yourself smell better is not a priority for me. I can smell pretty at home. :D

In my younger days, hiking the AT, it was not out of the ordinary to go weeks without a shower. Heck, everyone you ran into smelled the same, and you just don't notice it after awhile.

vulcan
09-23-2012, 07:54 AM
If I know I need to go into civilization during a trip I carry a small bottle of isopropyl along with my soap. After a wash down with soap and bandanna I hit all the "offending areas" with the alcohol on the bandanna. This along with washing your hair will go a long way.

vulcan
09-23-2012, 07:58 AM
I just got back from an elk/bear hunting trip the other side of Breakneck Pass. We set up a semi permanent camp with plenty of water. My hunting partner noticed that I tended to wash my hands alot. I didn't notice as I wash my hands alot out of habit due to my work with people that are very unsanitary and many have Hep C and HIV.. SO just a habit I have to break in the woods. Anyhow I found a liquid camp soap that is very efficient but of course I cannot remember the name. I got it at a large outdoor store, Sportamans Warehouse I beleive but I think you can get it almost anywhere. I would like to find something to use after a call to nature away from camp. Does anyone use "hand sanitizer" in the bush. I will admit I am paranoid about disease spread from human waste.....

Don't stop washing your hands! Tell your friend to wash his.

Bush Otter
09-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Big wipes are good one dedicated for bathing wet it down lather up save groin and behind for last , feet need a hit too keeps rashes and foot issues down .

Whitestone
09-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I use hand sanitizer for nature calls. But in the evening, before making dinner, I like to take a bath. I have a water-resistant silk bandanna. I tie up the corners, add cold water and boiling water, and wash the stinky parts. Use a cup for a scoop. I make the bandanna water-resistant with "Camp-Dri" silicon spray. I use a bandanna for a wash cloth and a little "CampSuds" or some of the Lye soap we make. For car camping, I have a "Camp Kitchen" sil-nylon tub. Works the same way.

There are many options for sil-nylon or canvas buckets. I like to be clean and insects like gnats and skeeters seem to like me better dirty, so there is a motivation to scrub up!

DuctTape
09-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I field wash regularly my pits, crotch, and feet with my bandana and just a drop of dr. bronners.

I often take smoke baths too. So if you come across a balding guy dancing naked next to a smokey fire, that would be me. I am harmless, I swear.

BushMetal
09-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Two wash cloths and a travel towel.

One soapy, one just water, and the towel to dry off

Or in other words a sponge bath, it uses minimal water and you feel great after

1066vik
09-23-2012, 09:00 AM
unscented baby wipes and hand sanitizer in between. (it also doubles as fire starter gel)

Malamute
09-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Two wash cloths and a travel towel.

One soapy, one just water, and the towel to dry off

Or in other words a sponge bath, it uses minimal water and you feel great after

Thats pretty much what I've done, only just had one washcloth and a hand towel. A bar of soap, bronners soap, or a small bottle of shampoo that also I use as soap is fine (and shampoo washes off easier than some soaps). Just washing up the smelly parts with water helps, but isn't as nice soap.

NJWHN95
09-23-2012, 09:42 AM
You would be surprised how clean you can get (okay, I don't know if it is actually clean, or if it just feels clean, but it works for me) by just heating up some water and the use that to wash. Just take a cloth (washcloth, bandana, etc.) dip it in the water, and wipe all over. I wouldn't want to walk around in public if this was my only way of washing, but when your camping, hiking, etc. people generally understand the smell. Anyway, that is my preferred way of doing things just because I don't have to buy wipes/soap, plus I don't have to worry about restocking them. In the end, it's a personal preference.

Mudman
09-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Baby wipes for me.

matt.s
09-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Flannel wash cloth, billy of warm water, bar of soap.

strongblackcoffee
09-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Baby wipes.

On longer outings, a bar of block soap ("Kernseife"), wash cloth, warm water, towel. You can get squeaky clean with that.

For me, teeth and mouth hygiene are very important. So I always floss and take a tooth brush and paste. Just me being odd.

firemedic
09-23-2012, 11:48 AM
I have a 125 cc nalgene bottle, what I do is when my bar soap at home gets too small to handle I stick it in the nalgene as it adds up in the bottle I add small amounts of warm water until the pieces melt.

TaDa. Liquid soap

Or I also use wet one's they come in single packages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11b inf
09-23-2012, 12:14 PM
hi folks...after a few days in the field camping or hunting i take a "bird bath" which i heat water in my canteen cup/billy can, soap up a wash cloth w/campsuds or non-scented soap and start at the top and work my way down...i also try to brush my teeth everyday ,makes me feel better...my hygine kit from my Infantry days to now is a small nylon drawstring bag with :tooth brush/paste , razor ,shaving brush ,bar soap or campsuds ,wash cloth ,hand mirror and comb...T.P. (roll) was a seperate item which i kept in a zip-bag... i almost never used or saved the MRE toilet paper as i considered it worthless for the task...for health and hygine wipe yourself down atleast every three days if you can and brush your teeth everyday...vince g. 11B INF:38:...

FishingJunkie92
09-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I brush my teeth, even if its just with water. Overnighters I dont wash, but more than one I have a cotton cloth I wipe my self down with. I need to get some camp soap and more rags. But for now its okay.

Jeremy

dailyselfreliance
09-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I personally carry a package of Bio Wipes. They are available in the camping section of Walmart.

dailyselfreliance
09-23-2012, 12:31 PM
The isopropyl is a good idea. You can use your hand sanitizer to do the same thing

kingnh
09-23-2012, 12:41 PM
What is this 'Hygiene' you speak of?

wizard
09-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Baby wipes and hand sanitizer for me. I also have one of the light quick drying towels that helps when washing at a stream. I also take a small tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush, dental floss plus a small bottle of mouthwash.

Radix lecti
09-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Wash,shave and eat out of a mess tin....no only kidding,used to do that in the past in basic. I carry a travel towel,baby wipes,alcohol soap and a small bar of pine tar soap. Im lucky really as where i camp the most there are some ablutions about half a click away in a tourist centre,sometimes i will use the facilities there early in the morning(safer that way so you can avoid the Pervs) on the way back to the vehicle. Cheers

Darren

bearhunter2
09-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I honestly really don't worry about it too much.
I never have really... A little dirt never hurt anyone.
One of my wife and I's favorite thing to do after an extended wilderness backpacking trip is to go into the closest restaurant and bar and get a burger and a few beers when we're all filthy :D
But to be honest, that's not just us, that's a common activity in any local area around these parts. You should see all the folks in such places during hunting season after an extended backcountry hunt.
It's expected here in Montana... If you ain't dirty... Your considered a townie :D

Ade
09-23-2012, 03:20 PM
It depends. On an over-nighter, I don't wash at all other than my hands when needed and my teeth before bed. Longer trips...again, it depends. Car camping with the family? Daily spit bath at least, more/better if possible. Hunting camp with the guys? Hygiene? What's that? I once went 36 days sans complaint without more than an occasional spit bath and daily sock exchange while on FEX in the Army (strangely, the showers and laundry go up pretty quick when actually deployed). The first two or three days, I always felt nasty, but after four or five days the layers of grime and bug spray get familiar. I was, however, first in line when they finally got the shower and laundry tents up and running.

rocketbomb
09-23-2012, 03:59 PM
If the weather is warm enough and the body of water I am camping near is clean and not icy cold, a quick bath in the lake every few days makes a guy feel like a million bucks while out in the backcountry. You can do some laundry too if the sun is out. If it's cold, hot water from the pot for a bandanna bath. I tend to do a bandanna bath of the face/head/upper body every day unless it's really really cold any more. I only ever carry the Coughlan's camp soap and it seems to do the job well enough for me so far.

Really though, there are few things as weirdly enjoyable as a good frolic in a high alpine lake while in the nude.

Ned
09-23-2012, 04:24 PM
For car camping, I have a "Camp Kitchen" sil-nylon tub. Works the same way.

There are many options for sil-nylon or canvas buckets.

I have a nylon water bowl/bucket which I carry in my cargo pocket. I'm sure it's not as big as your tub, but still very useful. It's meant to be a collapsible dog bowl, but I use it for a general-purpose camp bowl/sink/etc.

laugh
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM
I normally don't worie about it unless i'm getting a ride home from a friend i don't want to offend. Though i do commute by bike to work, there for bathing in the sink more then I would like. I can say plus one for dr. bronners which is safe, biodegrade and you can use for everything including shaving and brushing your teeth( though i don't recommend it for the taste). It rides in a 5-hour-energy bottle in my bag with a cotton bandana. The bandana is dipped in warm water with drip of soap and rubbed everywhere that sweats. It will do wonders for your sent. I have heard about people useing alcohol as well to kill the baterea that causes the smell.

VinoNoir
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I field wash regularly my pits, crotch, and feet with my bandana and just a drop of dr. bronners.

I often take smoke baths too. So if you come across a balding guy dancing naked next to a smokey fire, that would be me. I am harmless, I swear.
I do almost the exact same thing. Smoke baths and Dr. Bronners to wash my face. Washing my face just makes me feel better. I can shower when I get home...unless Ive got a lady with me :54:

HeadyBrew
09-23-2012, 07:41 PM
I usually bring a package of "wet ones" which are basically larger baby wipes. I like to clean my face before bed. Plus, if nature calls, finishing up with one ensures that the second leg of the days hike doesn't get "swampy", if you catch my drift. For extended trips, hopefully there's a creek or something that I can dip in and use my bandanna and biodegradeable soap to wash up in. No matter what, I'm stinkin' by the end of the trip.

Jayson
09-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I carry a tooth brush, paste, floss, couglins soap and several bandanas in the pail/carry sack that came with my GSI Dualist. Stays in my food bag. I wash/sponge bath everynight and brush teeth twice daily. I change into sleep clothes at night and prefer keeping them and my hammock nice and fresh!

A nice lite option is to dry baby wipes at home then dip them in warm water.

deepwoods
09-23-2012, 07:54 PM
A couple of thoughts-
Wildfire crews and soldiers in the field that don't have access to showers often use a variation of scentless baby wipes, slang term is "Bath in a Bag".

Health care workers are often tasked with keeping their patients bodies clean without the use of a shower. Some
people are bed-ridden for many years and if they are not kept clean they develop bedsores, and of course they cannot take a shower. So how do they do it? The same way people have been keeping clean for thousands of years. They put some clean water in a basin with a mild soap and wash every inch of their body with a wash cloth. Then they rinse their body with a clean, soap-free wash cloth. And it works, people get clean and don't get bedsores.

We are talking about hygiene as it was done in an older, more primitive time. Ask yourself, "How did they do this 500 years ago before modern conveniences?" Today, we may want to use anti-bacterial soap, and warm our water on a stove or fire, but we are basically doing what they did way back then.

Shnick
09-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Jump in the lake, ivory soap, dive/rinse

draco
09-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I take hand sanitizer so I don't make myself sick. Smelling as bad as possible helps me in my anti social, hermit like behavior anyway by keeping people away or not having them stick around for long. What is really funny is whenever we get out of the woods after a few days without bathing and stop to eat my hiking buddy always feels obligated to explain to the waitress why we smell so bad. :) I have better things to do than worry about what people I will never see again think of me. BTW a skunk does not smell it's own hole. You will not notice how bad you smell after a couple of days.

Now with that said if I am out for more than a couple of nights I will use hand sanitizer on my feet or wash them in a creek or lake. I do this not to keep them smelling nice but to stop any fungus from growing.

pap11y
09-24-2012, 02:54 AM
huh?????

I might wash in a river or creek but part of the fun of camping for me is letting myself go :)

akabu
09-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Rule Keep yourself Clean howsoever, In the warmer weather more so,Infection can run rampant from a small wound/scratch.

Long John Tinfoil
09-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Jump in the lake, ivory soap, dive/rinse

Ditto. Since most of my outings involve a canoe there's usually water enough for a swim. Brush teeth - check, TP - check, hand sanitizer - check, baby wipes for occasional or emergency use - check.

LJT

shutternut
09-24-2012, 08:02 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Flush-Personal-Hygiene-Wipes/dp/B000P9GNE8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1323413418&sr=8-8

Wet ones, Leave you feeling baby fresh.

Whoa!! I've smelled some pretty rank babies.

From an operational standpoint, I understand the concept of field hygiene. Poor hygiene can cause diseases to run rampant through a herd of otherwise stout troopers, but if I'm bushwhacking for three or four days I'll just stick to the common sense ideas of clean hands, wipe your butt, a spit bath and my little stubby toothbrush. If my wife objects to my breath, she can wait until we get home to kiss me.

This subject is really important in troop concentrations, but I don't think it's a big worry in our short term trips. Most of us can't afford to be away from the salt mines more than a few days at a time.

Just my "dos centavos."

lefthandedwriter
09-24-2012, 09:23 AM
I like to catch a live squirrel, roll him around in the cool ashes of the previous night's fire and use him like a loofah.

If the squirrel's too uncooperative, I'll opt for a warm, wet bandanna.

sledjockey
09-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Everyone has their methods, but I have yet to hear anything about scent control while hunting. I find that interesting. Here is my take on it, although there have been a crap load of other people's opinions:

I ALWAYS take a bar of soap (Ivory so you can use it as shampoo when you run out) and travel shampoo bottle with me to take a canteen shower with. When you don't get a chance to dry out your towel from the day before, you can always use the previous day's tshirts to dry off. Even when I was active duty and deployed in the field I would clean from my head to butt, then give my feet a bath using my canteens. There is plenty of privacy just a few yards back from the FEBA. I can take a full field shower with 2 quarts of water. As a field Corpsman I saw many cuts/scrapes fester, people get crazy skin conditions, and body fungus that could have been prevented with some simple field hygiene.

I now do the same thing while stationed in 1stCivDiv (1st Civilian Division) only with scent free cleaning products. I then do the "College Laundry Trick" without the box fan and use 99% Scent Free instead of Lysol. (For those that don't know, this is where you hang your clothes up and spray Lysol through a box fan to "clean" your clothes for another day).

bearhunter2
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
As far as scent control for hunting...
The famous author and trad hunter David Peterson likes to wallow in an elk wallow :D
I'm sure you folks know what an elk does in an elk wallow...

Brazito
09-29-2012, 06:20 AM
This is them....

http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Scent-A-Way-Odorless-Towels/dp/B00162MKXQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

alukban
09-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Gum disease is a mother... :(

I HAVE TO FLOSS these days. It's just age. I used to get away with just swirling brandy or rum in my mouth right before bed time. Nowadays (post root canal), I'm thinking of bringing mouthwash with me. It was mostly just wash hands in ashes and water + baby wipes for baby freshness but I'm changing for the better, I think.

I'm going to adopt a practice my brother uses. He uses very lightweight squeeze/squirt bottle as his means of "jetted, directional water propulsion" which helps reduce both mess and water usage. You can get such bottles from feminine hygiene kits - douche kits. They weigh nothing and you can very contollably create a low sudzing wash solution for thy follicled parts.

Because I am now nuts about my gums, I carry a dopp kit to work everyday and it is the same dopp bag that goes into my overnight or weekend pack. I use very small plastic containers to reduce size and make it very portable. i don't bother with a razor though one throw one in there. There are nailclippers and a thumb light attached to the whole thing with a cord so it can go around my neck when I have to go in the dark. I don't bother with short toothbrushes that will cramp my hands. I'm looking for a smaller eye dropper bottle for the Dr. Bronner's soap to reduce weight/volume further and allow room for the squeeze bottle. I also recently switched the bag itself out for a mesh bag so my toothbrush and stuff can air dry more easily.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/bankayhoodlum/E88453ED-E7BE-4874-BBD9-CDA3BD12599B-1458-000003B957AE53B1.jpg