PDA

View Full Version : Gransfors Bruks Tour

craigr
09-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Well in July I took a tour through Sweden and Norway. I made time to take a tour of Gransfors Bruks Forge. This was an incredible experience watching them make their axes that many of us use and love.

I shot a ton of video of the forge and they let me walk around freely to see how the various parts of the operation work. I put together a video of the forge highlights so you can see how they make their axes yourself:

Gransfors Bruks Axe Forge Tour - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89nlVmPeeU)

Enjoy!

Trekon86
09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Wow, what a great trip and an awesome time!

Tobias sounds like a cool dude!

Thanks for sharing:)

PMZ

craigr
09-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Wow, what a great trip and an awesome time!

Tobias sounds like a cool dude!

Thanks for sharing:)

PMZ

Yeah he's a cool guy. They were all very friendly to me. Got some video from their class room and museum too which I'll put up in a separate video soon.

Seeker
09-25-2011, 09:52 PM
thanks... somehow, i like knowing more about how my tools are/were made.

556mp
09-25-2011, 09:55 PM
All that and no pic of the axe you got!? :4:

craigr
09-25-2011, 09:58 PM
LOL. Yeah, good point. Got a Hunters Axe to add to my Scandinavian Forest Axe. They are about 30-40% cheaper when you buy it there. Plus it was cool buying it direct from them. Although I couldn't find one of that style made by Tobias.

556mp
09-25-2011, 10:00 PM
LOL. Yeah, good point. Got a Scandinavian Forest Axe! They are about 30-40% cheaper when you buy it there.

Very cool. I've always been interested in that axe and how it works.

craigr
09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Very cool. I've always been interested in that axe and how it works.

I mis-spoke. I already had the Forest axe which I love. I got the smaller hunters axe to try out some this winter.

556mp
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
I mis-spoke. I already had the Forest axe which I love. I got the smaller hunters axe to try out some this winter.

the 19" one? You'll love it!

craigr
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
the 19" one? You'll love it!

That's what I'm thinking. Now I'm faced with the horrible decision on which to carry the next time I head out.

556mp
09-25-2011, 10:08 PM
That's what I'm thinking. Now I'm faced with the horrible decision on which to carry the next time I head out.

the 19. Although I do not own a GB (I have used one many times), it's my favorite general use size/weight and they just work great.

GrowlingBear
09-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Great video tour Craig. I love the banners with all the axes. Man, the skill and timing those guys have is awesome to see. Who knew a white guy could have such rhythm? LOL. Thanks for the tour.

statikpunk
09-25-2011, 10:15 PM
thanks that was really cool! what I wouldn't give to have ten pounds of steel and a weekend in that shop :)

craigr
09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
thanks that was really cool! what I wouldn't give to have ten pounds of steel and a weekend in that shop :)

They offer classes! :)

statikpunk
09-25-2011, 11:16 PM
that would be the coolest thing ever...unfortunatly they are not just a hop skip and a jump around the corner :15:
but that would be awesome!

TopherBean
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
That was a fantastic video. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. Also, you got one heck of a souvenir.

Adam
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Very cool man!

cjtf
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Excellent, I live just a few hours north of here and this has sure inspried me to go down and visit that place some time. Thanks very much for sharing and I hope you enjoyed your trip to Sweden, všlkommen tillbaka.

craigr
09-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Excellent, I live just a few hours north of here and this has sure inspried me to go down and visit that place some time. Thanks very much for sharing and I hope you enjoyed your trip to Sweden, všlkommen tillbaka.

Sweden and Norway are wonderful countries. I enjoyed visiting them very much and talking to so many nice and knowledgeable people.

rg598
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Great video. Thanks for doing all that work.

The Warrior
09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow, that was awesome, thanks for sharing.

Ironwood
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM
That was cool I love the auto forge. Very scandi like efficiency.

I betcha that old guy with the limp would have a story or two, and I betcha he knows a thing or two about makin axes.:4:

I like taking personal interest tours to places that most people would be like, "What are ya doin goin hundreds or thousands of miles to see a traditional bowyer, or knife maker shop for? Never was too big on the popular destinations anyway. :4:

bharen
09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I forwarded the video link to a friend and he watched it and his only comment was "Guess they don't have OSHA in Sweden." I re-watched it and he's right! I guess Sweden expects you to act mature and think sensibly.

Trekon86
09-26-2011, 07:07 PM
LOL, I love how they aren't wearing aprons!:D

Screw OSHA, most businesses here don't follow their rules anyhow...

PMZ

craigr
09-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I forwarded the video link to a friend and he watched it and his only comment was "Guess they don't have OSHA in Sweden." I re-watched it and he's right! I guess Sweden expects you to act mature and think sensibly.

Heh. Yeah well they are Sweden and are very safety oriented overall. But yes they expect you to act like an adult and treat big dangerous machinery as if it is big and dangerous. But I didn't see anything at the forge that I would describe as inherently dangerous behavior from the workers. I was told that some of those power hammers are almost 100 years old which I'm sure would give OSHA bureaucrats an aneurism.

But even though they do use power hammers for a lot of work (you have to in that kind of commercial application), they also do a lot of anvil work especially on the larger blades. They truly are hand forged and fitted there.

They have a smaller forge next door where the classes are held. It's all traditional forges and about a dozen anvils for the students to use. It's a really nice setup.

Dadio
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
That was an amazing video! Thanks for posting it.

draco
09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Holy cow that is one heavy duty power hammer. Very cool thanks for sharing.

glouck
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
DUDE that is awesome, Thanks craigr for doing that. I like to see people taking pride in their work.

WestrnBushcrft
09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Cool i really want to go!!!!!!

alarmguy21
09-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Really enjoyed watching that video! My family heritage is Swedish, not braggin, but they're some pretty great people over there... hard workers and nice people. I've been lucky enough to acquire 4 of their axes, well, 3 and a hatchet. They're awesome! Seeing where and how they're made makes them worth more in my book... Kudos again on the video

Swede6.5x55
09-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Interesting music. Not my style, but cool man. I'd love to go there.

craigr
09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
That name is familiar so it may have happened. I will have to write to Tobias, but he may have been the guy I shot from behind the power hammer with the neat rhythm. I didn't ask for his permission to use in YouTube so I left his face out out of respect.

bharen
09-27-2011, 05:05 AM
Question for the OP - what else besides axes does Gransfors make there? Are they a general tool manufacturer? Surely you can't keep an entire company alive selling axes these days!

craigr
09-27-2011, 07:03 AM
They also had a ceramics kiln on premises. They appeared to make ceramic pots for plants maybe and glassware. I bought a Gransfors coffee mug for instance, but did not tour that side of things. I believe they were bought recently by the owners of Woolpower in Ostersund Sweden. They are a manufacturer of merino wool products which are also excellent quality. They also made other forged steel products besides axes.