PDA

View Full Version : Ravens...

Trekon86
10-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Do they live in the USA or are they a thing of Europe and the UK?

PMZ

nothinghead
10-01-2011, 12:42 AM
They live here. There is a place here in MD called raven rock I believe. It's a climbing spot and is named after the ravens who roost there.

cloudraker
10-01-2011, 12:42 AM
I've seen them in Ontario, Quebec and there is a pair living near my house hear in Vancouver.
The Salish creation myth is centered around Raven opening a sacred clam shell and letting people emerge.
They may be a slightly different version of crovid, but they are all ravens.

Trekon86
10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
How big are they compared to regular old crows?

How do you tell them apart?

PMZ

nothinghead
10-01-2011, 12:44 AM
That I would have to refer to a guide book for. Or wiki...

MtnManJoe
10-01-2011, 12:56 AM

PMZ

Primarily, here on the N Oregon Coast, what I see is "regular old crows".
... But, On 'Our Mountain' in NE Washington State, we had both - crows and Ravens.
Just seeing one or the other, it is often hard to say .. But, when you see both, the Ravens are significantly larger.

From This Site (http://egretsnest.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/compare-and-contrast-ravens-and-crows/).

Ravens are bigger than Crows. They have bigger bodies, bigger beaks, and bigger feet. The beaks of Ravens are stronger, more prominent, and have a slight hook to them while the Crowsí beaks are sharper and pointier. Crows are widespread and common but Ravens tend to be more reclusive. Ravens are acrobats in the sky ó they somersault, roll, and dive in amazing acrobatic displays. Ravens have a pointed tail; Crows have a rounded or squared off tail. Crows are known to join together into huge roosts seasonally. Ravens have been known to form large temporary groups too but it is much less common. American Crows are only found in the US while Common Ravens are found around the world.

Identifying your large black Corvid.

If they happen to be together, itís pretty easy. The bigger one with the bigger beak . . . thatís your basic Raven. However, you arenít likely to see them together. Iím lucky in that they have chosen to live together at my school (hey, grade schoolers are a great source of food!). Usually, youíll see one or the other. If you are on the East coast, youíre likely seeing a Crow. On the West coast, it depends on where you are. If you are in an urban environment, youíre likely to be seeing a crow. If you are in the mountains, you are likely seeing a Raven. Certainly, if you are in the Arctic . . . itís a Raven!

madfaxman
10-01-2011, 08:05 AM
We have ravens here in the UK as well.

The tower of london has a resident population of them.

It is said that if they ever leave the tower the monarchy will fall.

bushwolf
10-01-2011, 09:03 AM
There are two species of ravens in the US, the great northern raven, and the american raven.
The great northern raven is only found in the northernmost states and in canada.
The american raven is smaller, and is found throughout the country.

Ravens are quite large, and have a prominent beard-like tuft of fuzzy feathers on their throats, just below their beak.
Also, as stated before, their tail has a distinct angular kite shape to it.

dwightp
10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I used to seem them in British Columbia..........MUCH larger than our crows. Very smart birds, though.

OLD DOG
10-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Ravens are the largest of the crow clan. Lots of them around here. We "talk" to each other all the time. They respond well to predator calls, and sometimes tell me where a predator has hidden a kill.

Keyser SŲze
10-01-2011, 12:48 PM
ravens live up to 40 Years so they smart

JerseyJohn
10-01-2011, 01:34 PM
The local population supposedly took a pretty hard hit from W Nile Virus a few years back, my dad always had a few hanging around his house, might have been after the acorns from the big old oak tree, and the squirrels and rabbits his cat would kill for sport and leave laying in the yard. Freaked my one girlfriend out, we camped out back but she woke up at sunrise because she had somewhere to go. She walked back alone, but a few minutes later was back in the tent asking me to walk her to her car because there were huge birds all over. It was a chilly morning and there was 15-20 huge ravens sitting on the fence and in the trees next to her car, most holding their wings open sunning themselves, making themselves look even bigger. I thought it was cool, but she felt otherwise.

murphy
10-01-2011, 01:39 PM
We've got both here in NM. Ravens are bigger and have a call that sounds like a low croak. I had no idea what it was when I first heard it. Much different than the crows I grew up with in Texas.

Murph

Sandcut
10-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I know that ravens mostly breen in Canada, but we do get some nesting as far south as PA. Mostly the northern tier and the Pocono Plateau. You need a pretty good spread of remote forest with tall trees for them. In the Poconos you'll see them more often autumn through spring as they over-winter further south than they breed.

There's few things that I love more than being out hunting late season muzzleloader and hearing ravens.

You can tell corvids by their calls much more easily than by their size, although ravens are much larger than crows.

Here in PA we get American crows, American ravens and Fish crows. Regular crows make the familiar "caw-caw-caw" call. Ravens have a call that sounds like a low "grok." Fish crows call sounds like a quick "Ah-aww" with the "Ah" part higher pitched and stressed.

There's also a subspecies of crow out in the Pacific NW in the Washington - Vancouver area. I forget what their call sounds like.

JOttum
10-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Have them both in MN but my most vivd encounters took place when stationed near Anchorage. The first time I saw one out by the dumpster on Ft Richardson I was scared for some of the smaller statured soldiers that might get carried away!

JerseyJohn
10-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Haha, guess the flock that hung out near me was lost, my Dad's house isn't exactly remote forest. I do remember they were huge, and I hope they make their way out there again.

Peacelovingirl
10-11-2011, 05:41 AM

PMZ

To answer your question....

Ravens vs Crows, they're different! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guBwMUAWAJI)[/URL]

Rdrash
10-11-2011, 06:25 AM
They are a constant presence and pest in Alaska, eyesight is as keen as a raptors. I've seen them come in from 200 yards when my son dropped a single french fry on the pavement. They also like to go through the back of your truck looking for food or anything shiny they can take off with. Once a raven learns there is food inside of a trash bag they will land and tear open most bags they come across.

Ahnkochee
10-11-2011, 09:44 AM
In central California (Felton) I've seen both crows and ravens, and close enough together to see the size difference. The Ravens looked twice as big as the crows.

Old Philosopher
10-11-2011, 10:20 AM
We have more ravens than crows. Nature's garbage men! LOL! They'll dispose of road kill faster than the DOT road crews can. Between the ravens and the bald eagles, I've seen a road-killed deer disappear in 2 days.

Trekon86
10-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Sounds like we need more of them round here, then!

PMZ

Old Philosopher
10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Sounds like we need more of them round here, then!

PMZ

All they leave for the coyotes is the bones. ;)