PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Hunting Knife???

Lil Red
10-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before. I did a quick search, and didn't see anything on this specifically. I don't have much time to post today, let alone do a more thorough search. If I've missed something, please post the link. Thanks!

So here's the deal. I made my girlfriend a knife handle and sheath (carbon steel Karesuando blade 3 1/4") and she loves it! Cant take it out of her hand lol! She showed it off proudly to her dad. I could tell he really liked it and was a bit slow in giving it back.

I'm thinking about making him a knife for Christmas. It will be an ongoing project because this fall is about to get ridiculously busy, so I want to get started on it sooner than later.

He is a deer and turkey hunter (bow, primarily). He cleans the turkeys himself. The deer he guts and skins then takes to a butcher for portioning it out. I am only a squirrel and bunny killer, so I don't have much experience with those animals. I have cleaned a couple deer, but that's about it.

My question stems from my lack of knowledge. What knife blank should I get for him? It would be a dedicated hunting/skinning knife. I'm on the fence if I want to go custom or production, so advice on both would be great! Whatever the knife, I'd prefer it to be a full tang, but that's not a necessity.

I want to keep it a surprise, so I won't ask him anything more in particular of him. I might offer to sharpen his current knives, so I can see what he's working with. But I thought I'd bring the question to this brain trust for advice. Thanks!

nothinghead
10-10-2011, 02:21 PM
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45555&highlight=Dedicated+hunting+knife

MATT CHAOS
10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
If he really liked your girlfriend's knife and sheath, maybe you should make something with a similar design?

WestrnBushcrft
10-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah if he likes the one you gave your girlfriend then make one with simular looks. The hunting knife I use is a Buck 119 Special it's a great hunting and outdoor knife or I just use my Fallkniven F1, good luck!!!

Dirtymike
10-10-2011, 02:53 PM
What I like in a hunting knife is a 3-4 inch blade. A lot of belly so not to poke thru to the guts with a sharp point, or cut thru a nice cape on your trouphy deer. I like a grip that is not slick when wet. (blood is wet) :) I like it to be light. I also like there to be a little off set angle to it. With the tip ever so slightly angled down.

Valcas1
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Look at images of marbles knives. That would be where I would start.

glen1100
10-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Hunting knives are really personal, ask ten people to dress and skin the same deer and you will see ten different knives. See what he is using or ask what his favorite knife is

hughewil
10-10-2011, 03:28 PM
In general about 4" long should be good not to small and not to big. It should have lots of belly to make skinning easier, and if he splits the pelvis it has to be thick enough to handle that.

Yellow Lab
10-10-2011, 04:09 PM
If you can make him two - a classic drop point hunter and a bird&trout knife. You'll be in like flint!

samthedog
10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Bird and trout knife is what I would recommend. Just be aware that many people design these knives with very small handles which don't suit everyone. The idea is that you want the blade to be small enough to be controllable when working with smaller animals and slippery fish.

The handle is paramount in making a good bird and trout knife so have a look at what he currently uses. Ask some general comments about comfort of his favorite knife and begin from there. My idea of a good bird and trout knife that would function as a hunting knife would follow these lines:

http://www.knifeseek.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53704

A small scandi blade would do the job admirably as they are used for trout, grouse and deer processing.

This is what I use for all those tasks:

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11345

It's blade is the ideal size and with a larger handle, I have more control for finer tasks.

Paul.

madmax
10-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Hunting knives are really personal, ask ten people to dress and skin the same deer and you will see ten different knives. See what he is using or ask what his favorite knife is

What he said. +1