PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft USA Patch design thread

Leif
10-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Well it seems with almost a QTY of 90 hypothetical orders for the patch it is a go ahead. I have no doubt having 10 left over would sell off after everyone starts showing theirs off :D

The mission:

Our first patch will be a circle patch/badge of 2.5" diameter. This makes it lower on cost but is not too small to be lame.

-We need a image that is not too complicated so that it can be embroidered and fit into the patch. I think our current logo just wont fit, and if we did, it would look like jumble that small.

I think it should have an outer ring with Bushcraft USA in it and in the middle something that defines our group and bushcraft.

Anyone with some photoshop or design skills, your help would be appreciated!

Frau volunteered her photoshop help. :D

For colors I thought something forest green and light brown (coyote brown?). Something not to loud, so we can put them on our gear, be it camo or not.

Let the ideas flow guys. With that though, lets go and get images and such and post it with your ideas to help better formulate ideas.

Trekon86
10-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Think sylvan scenes...conifers, deciduous, flora and fauna both.
What kinds of plants and animals are of the most use to the most hardcore bushcrafters?
What kinds of woodsy scenes get our shrafty brainjuices flowing?
PMZ

Trekon86
10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Think logo.
The letters BCUSA should in all likelyhood be featured somewhere on the patch.
Not the whole URL of course...IMHO it's too long to put on a small, round patch.
PMZ

Leif
10-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Bushcraft USA

This will fit fine on the patch ringing the outside of it.

Leif
10-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Think logo.
The letters BCUSA should in all likelyhood be featured somewhere on the patch.
Not the whole URL of course...IMHO it's too long to put on a small, round patch.
PMZ

I would post the image of another forums patch to prove it looks great but I wont do that haha. Take my word for it :D Their address is longer than ours.

Trekon86
10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
:o
Sorry Leif I should've read your post more thoroughly.
More haste less waste!
PMZ

FrauHilda
10-29-2009, 09:11 PM
A scenic image would most-likely have to be stylized to reproduce well on that medium.

I'm thinking of fire (or fire-making) myself. Drawing on my love for Iz's intro, and something very similar to your Av pic in fact Trek.

Can I also volunteer Sol/Nomad's photoshopping skills (unbeknownst to him of course)? :D

Leif
10-29-2009, 09:19 PM
A scenic image would most-likely have to be stylized to reproduce well on that medium.

I'm thinking of fire (or fire-making) myself. Drawing on my love for Iz's intro, and something very similar to your Av pic in fact Trek.

Can I also volunteer Sol/Nomad's photoshopping skills (unbeknownst to him of course)? :D

Just remember when the image gets to complicated it just ends up looking like crap. Treks image of a man bent over tending or starting a fire would be way to complicated for a small patch.

A simple mountain sketch would probably work well.

Translate SOMETHING like these to embroidery and you get some idea on what I mean by keeping it simple.

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/6/e/f/f/1197125661528951305SnEptUne_Mountain_in_Ink.svg.hi .png

http://images.clipartof.com/small/16049-Red-Sunset-Over-Snow-Capped-Mountains-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

http://www.aperfectworld.org/clipart/plants/trees02.gif

FrauHilda
10-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Yessir, gotcha. That would be "stylized" ;)

2nd Chance
10-29-2009, 09:23 PM
i like the woodsy theme myself trees and all

Leif
10-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Yessir, gotcha. That would be "stylized" ;)

I got ya ;)

FrauHilda
10-29-2009, 09:34 PM
here's a quickie just as an example of what I mean, this is not done in photoshop. ;)

I'll be up tonight as every thur for my 3 am conference call, so i'll head to my real machine and tinker some things up :)

Jason
10-29-2009, 09:41 PM
When we started this site Faol and I envisioned something like a wolf or an eagle to represent us. That might be the direction we would take it.

Leif
10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
When we started this site Faol and I envisioned something like a wolf or an eagle to represent us. That might be the direction we would take it.

Got any images?

Jason
10-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Not yet we were procrastinating. :o

Leif
10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
http://wolfpenatv.com/images/clipart/wolf_head_large.gif

http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/UNC/UNC117/u10306925.jpg

http://www.3dcarvestudio.com/store/images/uploads/vanimals/wolf1.jpg

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/f/7/9/a/11949848182045168189eagle_01.svg.med.png

FrauHilda
10-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I do not frequent any other boards of like interest, so if there are designs/concepts/logos that any of us would like to strictly steer-clear of, please PM me with that. TYVM :)

Faol
10-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Anyone have an idea for a motto?

Mountain Ron
10-29-2009, 10:21 PM
On a patch thats 2 1/2" any design would work best as a single color full silhouette. I think the howling wolf is good in the post above. Just my 2 cents. "Bushcraft USA" around the outside would be a great motto. KISS.

Leif
10-29-2009, 10:22 PM
On a patch thats 2 1/2" any design would work best as a single color full silhouette. I think the howling wolf is good in the post above. Just my 2 cents.

Kind of agree with you on this one. A nice simple silhouette and some basic lettering on the ring would go off nice and smooth.

2nd Chance
10-29-2009, 10:27 PM
that one has my vote i have a thing for wolves, i volunteered on a preserve

2nd Chance
10-29-2009, 10:28 PM
how bout this

woodsmanjohn
10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
I have thing for wolves and eagles as well. Nice pic 2nd chance..

Mountain Ron
10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
OK here's my idea. Pardon the cheap ass edit program. The wolf head is completely filled in around it in the circle with this color or the color of our forum banner. The words BUSHCRAFT USA around the top of the circle. I think an easy design will be cheaper and faster to produce. Suggestions? The circle of course would be bigger and contain the lettering and the wolf head. This is a lousy rough draft but get the picture?

FrauHilda
10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Have you got any specs from a printer Skog?
Resolution requirements, RGB vs CMYK, jpg image or pdf, max # of colors, so-on.

Thanks

edit: I'm just gonna go-ahead with 1024x768 RGB jpg, and adjust from there if needed.

FrauHilda
10-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Koa and Faol: are you interested in folks submitting various designs, or are you set on wolves?

woodsmanjohn
10-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Anyone have an idea for a motto?

Faol, guys Do you like Latin mottos, here are a few I came across.

Per angusta in augusta - Through difficulties to great things
Praetio prudentia praestat - Prudence supplies a reward
A fonte puro pura defluit aqua - From a clear spring clear water flows
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi - A precipice in front, wolves behind
Ab/Ex uno disce omnes - From one person, learn all people
Ad augusta per angusta - To high places by narrow roads
Animis opibusque parati - Prepared in minds and resources
Aut vincere aut mori - Either conquer or die
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer
In medias res - Into the midst of things
Ipsa scientia potestas est - Knowledge itself is power
Omnia mea mecum porto - All that is mine, I carry with me
Scala naturae - The ladder of nature
Scientia est potentia - Knowledge is power
In omnia paratus - Prepared for all things
In silvam ne ligna feras - Don't carry logs into the forest.
In transitu - In passing, on the way
Luctor et emergo - I struggle but I'll survive

IllicitDreams
10-30-2009, 01:12 AM
I see a lot of wolves on bushcraft related pages, and patches... why not go a different route since BCUSA marches to the beat of a different drum anyways. and go with an Eagle for the patch design, after all it is the national bird...

Or even the Nessmuk trio, of a hatchet, fixed blade knife, and a folding knife with one of the mottos above such as "Animis opibusque parati - Prepared in minds and resources".

Leif
10-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I Hope we don't use any latin haha and let every other Survival and tacticcool forum out there use it instead.

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 03:51 AM
ok guys, before you look know that:

1) the printer will probably have a list of fonts to choose from. They will not want the text submitted with the image. So, I have put in some "placeholder" text in a very Bleh font, just so we have an idea of what it will look like.

2) The graphics will not look all "jazzy" we are limited due to the embroidery and size.

Also, every other wolf thing I tried really looked Cub Scout'ish. I have posted the fire one as an example of this. Looks like a scout badge yes? :p

Any other criticisms are most welcome! :D

Leif
10-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Frau! are you kidding me? These all look great!

I will wager the font size will be a bit bigger on the patch. That is details for them to work out of course. I will see if I can get you an image later today on the free color choices that come with the designs.

GreyOne
10-30-2009, 03:57 AM
I like the wolf !
"In wilderness is life".

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 04:34 AM
I like the wolf !
"In wilderness is life".

Koa & Faol's preference, Ron's concept art, G1's motto:

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 05:42 AM
You all got more better talent then me. I like the wolf, trees, eagles, I agree that the fire looks too Boy Scouty, and I aint tryin to bash anyones ideas here, but I dont think any of them truely capture the spirit of what we have here. Maybe instead of trying to capture an image of common things, we should try to think outside the box a little and think of what we are, what we stand for and then find or make the image that supports that theme? Just a suggestion all, and I'll go along with what ever you folks want to do

Thanx
Mac

PS I do like the wolf in Fraus last post

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Well Mac, this one was never intended to be seen, but since you mention it, this is the rudimentary thing my pen and paper were doing when I initially mentioned fire.
This never made it past my doodle, as i have done enough graphics for others to listen to what they want and try not to let my own ideas interfere.

I would love to hear what kinds of things others consider representative of the forum and it's membership as a whole. (assuming Koa and Faol are Ok with this also)

I have NO problem with scrapping everything and starting back at the top over and over again until folks are satisfied. :)

mechtec
10-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Koa & Faol's preference, Ron's concept art, G1's motto:

That's nice!!

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 06:44 AM
I took the liberty of re posting Dr Gizmo's thought on what a Bushcrafter is to give us all a little food for thought on the patch design

A Bushcrafter Is (Original work by DrGizmojo)

A Bushcrafter understands, appreciates, and respects the Natural World. Neither sappy about Nature, nor arrogant to its reality, the Bushcrafter is constantly learning how to develop his crafts for living with Nature. Confident in his skills, a Bushcrafter could be placed in the wilderness with nothing more than the clothes on his back, a knife, a blanket and a pot and improvise needed shelter and tools, acquire and store potable water, build fire for safety and comfort, forage, hunt and fish for food, and progressively add comforts and technology to his situation.

A Bushcrafter is fiercely independent and self-reliant. Neither sentimental nor cynical about the world around him, he uses his own wits and common sense to judge the world around him. Because of this, he is frugal with his finances, resourceful with materials, and smart with his preparations to maintain his independence and freedoms.

A Bushcrafter is big-hearted and encouraging with others of his persuasion, and generous with those of lesser resources. Though he may be a hermit most of the time, he loves to rendezvous, and has a fondness for tall-tales, history, and simple humor. Able to laugh first at himself, he lustily laughs with others. He may be able to sing, whistle or play an instrument, but a lack of talent never stops him from enjoying himself.

A Bushcrafter is passionately patriotic, often having served in the military himself. He believes in the values that made America great, and the form of free-market republican governance that stands at its core. He is proud of the country that---built through smarts and sweat to the highest standard of living---has done more good for more people, stood tall as a beacon of liberty and opportunity, and served to protect and defend liberty throughout the world from the chains of tyranny and despotism.

The Bushcrafter prefers simple, practical and rugged over the fancy, complicated and fashionable. He will adapt and utilize any of the latest technologies to achieve his goals, yet understands that old ways, in their tried-and-true simplicity, have bounteous virtues.

Though the Bushcrafter is a practical observer of the worldly, he understands that some things are bigger and more mysterious than man can comprehend or explain. Nonetheless, he gains strength, humility, and resolve from the Creator.

The Bushcrafter knows there is much to learn, and he enjoys his journey on earth.

Okbushcraft
10-30-2009, 06:53 AM
You all got more better talent then me. I like the wolf, trees, eagles, I agree that the fire looks too Boy Scouty, and I aint tryin to bash anyones ideas here, but I dont think any of them truely capture the spirit of what we have here. Maybe instead of trying to capture an image of common things, we should try to think outside the box a little and think of what we are, what we stand for and then find or make the image that supports that theme? Just a suggestion all, and I'll go along with what ever you folks want to do

Thanx
Mac

PS I do like the wolf in Fraus last post

I am new so take it as you see it.
I agree with Sarge. I don't see the animals as what represents us. Woodlore has the wolf thing going with theirs. Not bad by any means just not feeling it. Even though the fire looks boyscoutish it is more in line with the "bushcraft" part. A Tipi kinda says "living with the elements" or being at one with them. A rolling hill with a stream in the middle, the fire kit was great!
I think an axe and knife symbolizes bushcraft but would that be too hard to capture on a patch? If not I would favor that one. Again, all this from the newby. John.:D

P.S. the words Bushcraft USA seems to say all there is to say. I think it is a stand alone motto.

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
This might be too over done or Militaristic but crossed knife and axe?

Eddie
10-30-2009, 07:24 AM
I can't draw to save my life...but when I think of bushcraft the image I get is a silhouette of a man walking up a hill wearing a bush hat and a satchel over his shoulder with a cup hanging from the satchel....maybe holding a walking stick.

SpookyPistolero
10-30-2009, 07:56 AM
How about "Doing more with less" as a motto?

Eddie
10-30-2009, 08:04 AM
How about "Doing more with less" as a motto?

+1

How spooky...I was going to post that same phrase. :eek:
Great minds and all that...:D

SpookyPistolero
10-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Ha! That is freaky!

Jason
10-30-2009, 08:10 AM
I think the eagle looks good. Keep in mind we have gone over this already before starting the site: The knife and axe was one of our first thoughts but has been done countless times by other organizations so it's just not original. The single leaf is a theme of every other bushcraft site known to man. A person starting a fire is a bit detailed for a logo. This is a very difficult process and we wanted to have something original, unique to the US, and well something that looks cool. :)

Jason
10-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Let's keep the gears turning and git 'r done.

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 08:23 AM
I think the eagle looks good. Keep in mind we have gone over this already before starting the site: The knife and axe was one of our first thoughts but has been done countless times by other organizations so it's just not original. The single leaf is a theme of every other bushcraft site known to man. A person starting a fire is a bit detailed for a logo. This is a very difficult process and we wanted to have something original, unique to the US, and well something that looks cool. :)

The Eagle is ok too, to me the Eagle symbolises Freedom

Leif
10-30-2009, 08:25 AM
I like the eagle myself, the wolf and wolf paw have also been done to death.

Leif
10-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Keep in mind guys we don't have to find one design forever. The fun will in a few years or some other milestone we can do another run to comemorate it. Or just switch out colors.

Also the site doesn't have a slogan, so are we making one up for the forum or just the patch? I don't think we need one, that's just my OP of course.

How about a 1 year, or 1000 member edition patch? Have that on the bottom.

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Frau could you do the Eagle with GI's motto in a brighter font and let us see what it looks like?

45jack
10-30-2009, 08:34 AM
I like the fire, fire and shelter are primary bush skills.
Jack

woodsmanjohn
10-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I Hope we don't use any latin haha and let every other Survival and tacticcool forum out there use it instead.

LOL Now, that I have had time to think about it , a latin motto would seem kind of odd. I need to stop staying up so late.

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Just want to back-track this a bit. This is not a logo. It could be a logo, or made to match a theme or... but, please keep in mind that we are restricted in size, and also limited in graphic quality as compares to site design and so on.

As it stands, it's got to be (unless we go with the single-leaf) different than the website's graphics.

We can go with similar colors though.

I guess my point is, let's not over-complicate.

Now if the Admins want this to somehow work into an overall scheme they have in-mind, and in fact "match" the patch to the site graphic, well, that is another thing, and I do hope they'd clarify that intent.

Otherwise, from a design perspective, this is a stand-alone project.

Thoughts?

Tomahawk
10-30-2009, 08:39 AM
How about something simple like -Bushcraft USA with the corresponding sycamore leaves , as in the original logo.

tomahawk

SpookyPistolero
10-30-2009, 08:43 AM
The fire has been done a lot too though. How about a deer? Maple tree? Sillhouette of a man with a pack? Clown face?

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Rainbows, popsicles, and .45ACP's get my vote.

Okbushcraft
10-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I like the fire, fire and shelter are primary bush skills.
Jack

One of the first skills any of us try to master is fire, right? While shelter isn't too far behind. I still like this idea better than the animals. I don't see animals as bushcrafty even though I do like the wolf- and the coyote even more-talk about an overcomer, a trotting coyote is a good scene. Just don't let me see one in my yard:D
John.

Okbushcraft
10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
How about something simple like -Bushcraft USA with the corresponding sycamore leaves , as in the original logo.

tomahawk

That sounds best so far.

Knight
10-30-2009, 08:49 AM
I like Tomahawks idea.

SpookyPistolero
10-30-2009, 08:52 AM

tomahawk

This sounds the most realistic to me (and original vs other forums) thus far.

2nd Chance
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
i still think the eagle or the wolf Fit to Survive

Rubarb
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
How about a stylised picture of the world, with BCUSA incorporated somewhere on it, around it, over it, under it, after all this place has a worldwide membership and we all enjoying learning from different modern and ancient world cultures - just a thought

wildernesswikiup14
10-30-2009, 09:27 AM
i thinking a conifer tree. or a birch tree. very versitile and symbolic trees

Jason
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
A jackalope?

Grits
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd just like to say that I like the fact that we have so many folks with graphic skill, and I'd keep encouraging the expression of other possibles. (Not trying to subvert Tomahawk's idea of just the leaves...). And I think a new patch every so often could be kinda cool.

Some other ideas:

What do you all think about the idea of a compass rose?...to show we "know the way"...
it is a classic symbol (like the wolf, eagle, leaves, crossed hatchet and knife)...

How about a coffee pot hanging over a fire? ...to show that we share our bounty with others?

How about a bluebird, a cardinal, a bluejay, an Owl?

How about a pack with a knife and a cup?

How about the silhouette of a treeline, a tent, and smoke from a fire?

How about a constellation, such as Ursa Major? Cygnus?

How about a musket and powder horn?

A bow and arrow?

A basket-pack?

etc.?

campcrafter
10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
here are a few ideas

cc

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Those look cool. The one in the middle says it all. Fire, Shelter, tools

Grits
10-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Check out these merit badges, each of which has a 1 & 1/2 inch area for the embroidered picture. You'll need to scroll down just a bit to see the merit badges.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges.aspx

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Still need some info from Skog on whether gradients are ok, and also whether we need to restrict the text to an outside border area or if it can ride across the image. (?)

Here are a few more based on some of the suggestions thrown out there so far.

Please keep the ideas coming! :)

2nd Chance
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
idk about the last but im liking thefirst two although the leaf seems to be around quite a bit Maybe change the In to Were So _______ Bushcraft USA ...Were Wilderness is Life

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I like Eddie's idea of the sillouette of the guy walking up a hill.
I also like the idea of a paw, perhaps not wolf paw but bear paw?
I've got a really cool font...it's called "Bearpaw" and when you use the * (star) key it makes a bearpaw. I use this on a lot of my videos and slideshows as a shrafty theme.
PMZ

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Outstanding Frau. Lmao I say we go for the popsicle , gun and rainbow. the Eagle seriously looks great

Faol
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Also the site doesn't have a slogan, so are we making one up for the forum or just the patch? I don't think we need one, that's just my OP of course.

We are looking at this as being one and the same, interchangeable, etc. We had discussed this before the site went live, along with the other issues and more, that Koa mentioned earlier. We knew that a simpler, more compact logo would be necessary at some point. We also played around with logos at the time, but beat it to death with nothing coming to the surface.

Now, more people equals more ideas.

campcrafter
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Frau
I like the doing more with less slogan

doing more with less since 20XX (whenever the forum was begun)

just brainstorming!

cc

2nd Chance
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
slogan were wilderness is life like discribing us intead of original quote

Faol
10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I like Eddie's idea of the sillouette of the guy walking up a hill.
I also like the idea of a paw, perhaps not wolf paw but bear paw?
I've got a really cool font...it's called "Bearpaw" and when you use the * (star) key it makes a bearpaw. I use this on a lot of my videos and slideshows as a shrafty theme.
PMZ

One of the UK bushcraft sites uses the bear paw I think. I saw it somewhere.

And, the guy walking up a hill with a backpack, tin cup and walking stick, is a copyrighted image of some movie studio, if I remember correctly. I have seen it a few times before.

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Okeydokey, bearpaw is out!
I like the idea of having the needs of human habitation/survival met on the patch.

Shelter
Fire
Tools
Water
Food.

Perhaps only shelter fire and tools as on the patch that Dr. Giz posted on the last page.
:)
PMZ

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Frau I wanted to say I like your Eagle and Wolf design patches even if the wolf is out, still the Eagle patch is excellent:)
PMZ

Faol
10-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Let's let this run a little longer, we will pick some ideas and run a couple of polls for design and logo.

Frau, thanks for doing these idea, bu we don't want Frau to get burned out or aggravated doing all these designs. I mess with Photo Shop, but I'm not this good.

Faol
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
"In Wilderness is Life" or "Where Wilderness is Life", either one sounds good to me. Short and sweet. Will bordering lettering even be legible on a 2.5" patch?

Frau is doing a great job on the design ideas. We just don't want her to get burned out or aggravated doing them all the time.

woodsmith
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I like the sycamore leaf, what about it as a background with a couple of silhouettes of recognizable tools superimposed. I modified one of FrauHilda's designs just to show what I'm talking about:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RyAOidcK1Ts/SuscxaubWVI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/ImxfcVMsfCc/s400/crossed2.jpg

It needs work to make it balance, but it's simple and retains a link to the BCUSA logo.

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
I like that but the 2009-1000 members thing isn't my favorite lol!
I like the mottos that others have suggested...I like Latin phrases but I agree it would look too "tacticool" hehe and that's not what this site is primarily about:)
PMZ

Iz
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I love all the ideas so far. Cool stuff.
Just to throw one out:
How about an eagle silohette on subdued American flag background?( keeping withe U.S.A. theme)
With a line reading "Skill weighs nothing"
I'll like it no matter what it is though. You guys are coming up with good stuff.
Iz

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Symbolically, the crossed tools really bring commie connotations to my mind. :confused:

woodsmith
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Symbolically, the crossed tools really bring commie connotations to my mind. :confused:

Really? Huh, I was thinking more heraldic/coats of arms type patterns, hadn't thought of anything else.

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I think if we were to make the axe look more like an axe than a hammer, it wouldn't remind us of the hammer and sickle!:)
PMZ

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 11:32 AM

I never thought of it that way Frau but you're right. sickle hammer thing, in the Military it was usualy crossed swoards, knives, etc. weapons. But your right tools is another matter.

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe it's the red and yellow, perhaps on royal blue or forest green or something not so much. :)

SpookyPistolero
10-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Still need some info from Skog on whether gradients are ok, and also whether we need to restrict the text to an outside border area or if it can ride across the image. (?)

Here are a few more based on some of the suggestions thrown out there so far.

Please keep the ideas coming! :)

I really like that middle one with the leaf! Two thumbs up.

Jason
10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh Frau the gun/popsicle/rainbow patch is a winner! Case closed. LMAO :D

campcrafter
10-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Skill Weighs Nothing

Perfect!

cc

woodsmanjohn
10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the incorporation of the axe and knife. The motto in wilderness is life is great, it really sums up what it is all about. . There are some excellent ideas floating around here. Great graphics as well everybody…

Leif
10-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Let's keep in mind guys the design and size. There won't be any shading on the images. This is embroidery on a patch not an actual image with contrast and shading. Also the more complicated you make the cost gets much higher.

Frau the lettering will show up on the ring just fine. I have other same size patches for bushcraft sites with similar layout. What you are doing looks good to me. We just need settle on the image and "slogan" everyone seems to want. When I get back home I will get you some colors that will be available at no extra cost. We start getting a rainbow in there and these things go up bigtime

Grits
10-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I like the leaf design that FaruHilda's come up with....now, to extend it...what do you think of this? (Begging permission, FrauHilda!). This is not anywhere near as good as FrauHilda could do, but it gets the idea across....

FrauHilda
10-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Frau the lettering will show up on the ring just fine. I have other same size patches for bushcraft sites with similar layout. What you are doing looks good to me...

... We start getting a rainbow in there and these things go up bigtime

It wasn't me that questioned whether the lettering would be legible (?) Or are you just saying that yes, we should like to keep the text in the outer ring?

As for the rainbow, I sure hope you mean "a rainbow of colors" and not a rainbow. Despite my previous submissions, I really, really don't want this thing to have a rainbow. :D

campcrafter
10-30-2009, 12:58 PM
A simpler design

cc

campcrafter
10-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I would like this one best of all with the skill weighs nothing slogan and a little tweeaking of the outside ring color.

just mho

cc

Leif
10-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I meant a rainbow of colors Frau ... Obviously hahahaha

also yes to fit our text we are going to need to probably keep it running the ring.

Jason
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Anyone know how to get a sticker made also?

Leif
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Anyone know how to get a sticker made also?

I thought you had some stickers in the Cafe press store?

Okbushcraft
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
here are a few ideas

cc

I like the last one to the right. John.

Jason
10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah but Cafe Press sucks.

Leif
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah but Cafe Press sucks.

Take whatever image we come up with and just print it out on sticker paper. I think a staples or office max...etc will carry it.

Okbushcraft
10-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Skill Weighs Nothing

Perfect!

cc

Ok, new fave, Like IZ's saying for sure!:D

Jason
10-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Skill weighs nothing is very good indeed.

Sgt. Mac
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Sounds good to me

cz-bohunk
10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
here are a few ideas

cc

I like the last one ,it would be nice to fit an eagle on the top of it holding the patch with a logo on bottom or top in a rocker fashion
I can get the pic's to come up

campcrafter
10-30-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.butlerpatches.com/gallery.php?type=outdoor

samples at a patch maker

somebody may get some inspiration

cc

Okbushcraft
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Skill weighs nothing is very good indeed.

Are we still only doing two colors? Was it brown and green that Skog suggested? I would like something that didn't scream "LOOK AT ME!!!" on my pack or jacket while in the bush. :eek:
:D John.

campcrafter
10-30-2009, 04:05 PM
The old boy scout camp I went Camp Strake their origianl patch was just a kahaki cloth background with a raven,the words camp strake and an edge all embroidered in red. It was actually quite cool with just the two colors.

cc

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Ravens Rock!:D
Given that so many of us have a Norsk background to some extent...methinks it would be a hit;)
PMZ

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 04:11 PM
You could have one named Hugin and other other Munin:D
PMZ

Homeslice
10-30-2009, 05:08 PM
I want a badass wolf on mine.

JedLMF
10-30-2009, 05:10 PM
K.I.S.S. guys, K.I.S.S. Subdued colors, not something advertising, but something that to someone who knows what it is, oh you're on the forum.

Faol
10-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes, a dual or tri-tone is what we were thinking about. A colorized version would be ok for web sites, stickers, etc., if feasible.

Keyser Söze
10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
i like all patch designs but Campcrafter has talent...i like the one with the tent fire knife and axe and this motto -Animis opibusque parati - Prepared in minds and resources , but that's just me.... oh yea: and its gotta be 3" in diameter

Faol
10-30-2009, 06:03 PM
We wanted to keep it simple, and that was the consensus when this thread started. We also wanted uniqueness as far as identification goes, not a lot of detail so it will keep the cost down, and it will look good on the doors of my truck.

As for the motto, I can go either way...and I'm not gay, but I think my boyfriend may be.

My preference for the motto is "In Wilderness Is Life" or "Where Wilderness Is Life". If you look for either of those terms on Google, they only exists here. Nowhere else does it come up on the Internet...in 40 years.

Frau, can you do the eagle, outlined in a light khaki like you had it originally, on an OD background? With both mottoes? Even if no else likes it, I can have them made up in vinyl for my expedition truck in the next couple of months.

GreyOne
10-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Eagle, Wolf- either one is nice- both are common outdoor motifs- both convey "wilderness" to me.
I think Faol has a plan.

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I think Faol has a plan.

Sounds like it to me too:D
PMZ

Iz
10-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Ok, new fave, Like IZ's saying for sure!:D

John,
Thanks, and you probably know this but I'll just say it so nobody nuts. I didn't come up with that, I read it in a Ray Mears book.
Just covering the bases, this is the internet after all.
Iz

JedLMF
10-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, a dual or tri-tone is what we were thinking about. A colorized version would be ok for web sites, stickers, etc., if feasible.

Foal IDK if you know of the patches they did on Survivalists boards but they wanted and accomplished the same thing. You know those plain oval sticker you see on cars? If we wanted stickers something like BushCraftUSA (BCU) on the oval. For patches a simple circular patch with the motto/symbols you thought of. In Earth tones preferably. My .02

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Just a suggestion, if we do stickers let's make em those clingfilm window stickers, the vinyl ones that don't have adhesive.
That way they're more easily removable for resale purposes:)
PMZ

Leif
10-30-2009, 10:01 PM
How about we get the patches done, and someone can pick up the stickers project after that?

Trekon86
10-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Hehe, Touche!
Thanks for keeping us on track, Skog lol!
PMZ

JedLMF
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
How about we get the patches done, and someone can pick up the stickers project after that?

I agree, but I was only piggybacking on Foal's post.

Leif
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I agree, but I was only piggybacking on Foal's post.

No one was pointing you out. Breath easy:D

I just want to focus on this one thing. If someone else wants to run with the stickers by all means go for it.:D

Faol
10-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Foal IDK if you know of the patches they did on Survivalists boards but they wanted and accomplished the same thing. You know those plain oval sticker you see on cars? If we wanted stickers something like BushCraftUSA (BCU) on the oval. For patches a simple circular patch with the motto/symbols you thought of. In Earth tones preferably. My .02

Someone else mentioned stickers too. A 4" sticker, even round, would show up a simple design rather well. Isn't a BCU some type of SCUBA equipment? I wonder how BCUSA would look on an oval. Does BCUK have this type of thing...either patch or sticker?

2nd Chance
10-31-2009, 01:37 AM
as for scuba its BC Boyancy Compensation The Vest. as for a sticker no idea

Rubarb
10-31-2009, 03:20 AM
Someone else mentioned stickers too. A 4" sticker, even round, would show up a simple design rather well. Isn't a BCU some type of SCUBA equipment? I wonder how BCUSA would look on an oval. Does BCUK have this type of thing...either patch or sticker?

BCUK has fabric patches, i have a couple here somewhere, i'll see if i can scan them in, gotta find em first, basically their patch is the BCUK leaf motif with Bushcraft UK around the edge, iirc it's in Brown, Black & Gold thread.

JedLMF
10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Foal why don't we discuss the sticker thing in another thread? And leave this one dedicated toward the patches.

Faol
10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
This thread seems to have lost steam. What happened?

Leif
10-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Frau is working on stuff I think Faol.

We were bound to hit a wall at some point on this thread. Everyone has their own ideas. Undoubtedly a few wont like the end result.

Iz
10-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Everyone has their own ideas. Undoubtedly a few wont like the end result.

I'll like it no matter what...unless there's rainbows on it.;)
Iz

Mountain Ron
10-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Lets not let this idea die off! Frau & Skog have put a lot of thought and work into it. I think we should stick with the patch idea and do a sticker thread separately. I like the idea of having both. Keep on bringing ideas and maybe we'll vote on the final design? BTW this is just a suggestion.

Jason
10-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Ok stickers later, maybe we can do the eagle and just bushcraft USA. Do bushcraft on top and USA on the bottom? Maybe put the motto on the shelf. Frau has done some amazing designs, much bettr than I had hoped for.

Leif
10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
I'll like it no matter what...unless there's rainbows on it.;)
Iz

Surly you didn't get what I was referring to when I made the statement. I mean too many colors to driving the price high. Not an actual rainbow:rolleyes:.

:cool:

Iz
10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Surly you didn't get what I was referring to when I made the statement. I mean too many colors to driving the price high. Not an actual rainbow:rolleyes:.

:cool:

Yeah, I know. I was just kidding around.
Iz

Leif
10-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I know. I was just kidding around.
Iz

Ok haha, it seemed several did not get the example I was setting and let me know it.:D

Leif
10-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Ok stickers later, maybe we can do the eagle and just bushcraft USA. Do bushcraft on top and USA on the bottom? Maybe put the motto on the shelf. Frau has done some amazing designs, much bettr than I had hoped for.

On the patch,

This seems best Koa. The reason is putting BUSHCRAFT USA together will probably run a little over half the patch ring, regardless of how the image looks on computer, we have take in account for the stitching size to be readable. I have sent Frau some examples of patches I have and she agrees that putting the site and motto probably wont fit (unless we increase the size dramatically, that will make my cost to high). Splitting them though would look great I think. Given this wont be our only patch ever (I hope) I though maybe throwing the year on there would be nice, just a 2009 after USA.

What you think?

Faol
10-31-2009, 04:15 PM
What are the thoughts on Koa's suggestion? Instead of the motto, use Bushcraft up top, and USA on the bottom. That keeps it very simple for the first patch and creates a branding type thing for the site.

Ideas, comments....etc....???

Keyser Söze
10-31-2009, 04:21 PM
well i want 2 patches and i guess everybody on the site would like to velcro one on their hat and one on the pack

IA Woodsman
10-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I am for whatever the man in the banana hammock wants.

Leif
10-31-2009, 04:26 PM
What are the thoughts on Koa's suggestion? Instead of the motto, use Bushcraft up top, and USA on the bottom. That keeps it very simple for the first patch and creates a branding type thing for the site.

Ideas, comments....etc....???

I like the idea, dropping the year doesn't matter to me. I like simple:D

Rubarb
10-31-2009, 04:32 PM
well i want 2 patches and i guess everybody on the site would like to velcro one on their hat and one on the pack

Velcro?, Koa told me the patches would be supplied with threads from one of Faol's nettle fibre thongs so we could sew them on:D

Leif
10-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Velcro backing costs extra, you'll have to sew your own on. (I am being so cheap) hahaha

Mountain Ron
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Works for me Faol.

Keyser Söze
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Velcro?, Koa told me the patches would be supplied with threads from one of Faol's nettle fibre thongs so we could sew them on:D

that would be an upgrade that i cant afford :D:D and about the velcro,, you can stitch the velcro to the patch and hat/pack and wash them without the patch

2nd Chance
10-31-2009, 04:49 PM
i dont see why not i would probably put the fiberous part of velcro on hat and pack

Trekon86
10-31-2009, 07:06 PM
BTW re: velcro, you can just get the heavy duty black sticky kind and cut some to size, slap it on there (doesn't have to be round, just two short strips'll do) and it stays put quite nicely.
:)
PMZ

45jack
10-31-2009, 08:09 PM

nettle fibre threads!?
I plan on using barge cement!:D

Jack

Nomad
10-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Has anyone run any mockups of the patch? If not, I'd love to help out on that end. I'm an avid Photoshop and illustrator user. :)

Leif
10-31-2009, 08:15 PM
It seems Nomad that Frau has a handle on it at the moment. Stand bye though, never know what could happen.

Nomad
10-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Awesome, keep me updated if you'd need my help.

TeeDee
10-31-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm coming to this late.

Don't know if anyone has considered the following but as many of you like the eagle symbology how about a Phoenix?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology))

Rising from the ashes through spirit and knowledge alone.
Created through rebirth of adversity.
Sounds kinda bushcrafty to me. I think i may be a secret hippy

Oh yeah , just remembered , its got fire in it ( tick ) , a burning torch or item has always been associated with knowledge and wisdom ( tick ) , its a wild and rare creature ( tick )
I realise subdued colours are the order of the day.

FrauHilda
10-31-2009, 09:19 PM
This thread seems to have lost steam. What happened?

Frau is working on stuff I think Faol.
We were bound to hit a wall at some point on this thread. Everyone has their own ideas. Undoubtedly a few wont like the end result.

I'm not working on anything. I stepped back a bit when Faol asked us to let it run for awhile. :)

At least a handful of people put some images out there, and there have been a lot of great ideas.

I don't know where you want us to go from here Faol, do you want us to keep doing mock-ups of the various ideas that have been discussed?

If so, I'd really dig-it if others would continue to share graphics too. (eHem Nomad *cough*) I was just trying to throw some stuff together based upon suggestions and ideas posted by others.
2c

Nomad
10-31-2009, 09:24 PM
(eHem Nomad *cough*)

You should get that cough checked, sounds terrible! :D

I'll make a mock up or two myself "just for fun". :)

Leif
10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm not working on anything. I stepped back a bit when Faol asked us to let it run for awhile. :)

At least a handful of people put some images out there, and there have been a lot of great ideas.

I don't know where you want us to go from here Faol, do you want us to keep doing mock-ups of the various ideas that have been discussed?

If so, I'd really dig-it if others would continue to share graphics too. (eHem Nomad *cough*) I was just trying to throw some stuff together based upon suggestions and ideas posted by others.
2c

I think Faol mentioned just going with the eagle and Bushcraft USA for text. I guess we just need to sort out color scheme.

FrauHilda
10-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Oh ok, sorry missed that. :o

Howie
10-31-2009, 09:40 PM
I like the simple eagle that frau has a few pages back. Looks sharp.

Faol
11-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I like the simple eagle that frau has a few pages back. Looks sharp.

That's the one that Koa and I like. No one else is using an eagle, that we can find. I like Skog's recommendation about the name, since it is likely it will be modified by the embroiderer, if we try to cram too many letters across the top. I really like that motto of GreyOne too and I am sure we will find some way to incorporate that somewhere.

Alrighty then. Can we see a mockup with "Bushcraft" across the top arch, and "USA" across the bottom arch, in the colors you did for me last, please Frau?

When she gets it up, everyone please comment.

Jason
11-01-2009, 12:24 AM
We're going to have to put Frau on the payroll the way you are working her Faol. :D She does do a great job though. I think we're getting very close now. I want my darn patch already! (And a sticker too but we won't talk about that yet ;))

Faol
11-01-2009, 12:49 AM
We're going to have to put Frau on the payroll the way you are working her Faol. :D She does do a great job though. I think we're getting very close now. I want my darn patch already! (And a sticker too but we won't talk about that yet ;))

Can I be on the payroll too?

FrauHilda
11-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Again, this is just placeholder font selection. Didn't know if y'all wanted CAPS, but that's what you got :p

I don't think an embroiderer will need hi-res from us, but if they do, i will need to go back in and anti-alias and clean up the keyline on the eagle. Might be best not to stroke it at all if we go with black fabric as the OD will be the raised "thread area" and the black inset will be background fabric. (or at least this is how I envision it coming together)

Colors here also are approximate, I'm sure thread colors are limited.

This should be enough to get us through the quote requesting/approximation phase though.

(I uploaded a hi-res version also - same bat place)

2nd Chance
11-01-2009, 02:24 AM
thats got my vote different to the point its BUSHCRAFT USA! Good work!!!! The caps are good. That or the wolf there seems to be a lot of wolf fans on here(grey one for ex)

IA Woodsman
11-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Looks great Frau, I gonna have Koa sew it right on my arm. Like a prison tat.

FrauHilda
11-01-2009, 02:39 AM
I meant to upload a mini version so it would more closely resemble life-size and totally spaced it - :o

This is "about" what it would look like in actual size:

Sgt. Mac
11-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Looks good sis, Nail It!

Rubarb
11-01-2009, 03:41 AM
That's the one for me

Iz
11-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree, Frau. That's perfect.
Great job.
Iz

Jason
11-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Is that eagle copyrighted?

woodsmanjohn
11-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice Job Frau , I like the subdued colors

Faol
11-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Short, sweet and hard to beat. I like it!

Thanks Frau!!

Faol
11-01-2009, 09:38 AM

This is from a website where it is located:

Download free bald eagle clipart images here! These cliparts of bald eagles are great for webpages about wildlife or eagles, but also for patriotic American websites, since the eagle is a symbol of democracy and freedom.

I would say it isn't, at least in its eagle-only original form.

Keyser Söze
11-01-2009, 10:10 AM
it definitely represents , i like the size , and it has that first look impression like: - what type of special forces branch is this??:D

campcrafter
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Excellent Frau!

CC

Leif
11-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Once Frau sends me the full size image in email, I will start the process guys.

Hold on to your butts

SpookyPistolero
11-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Not bad (re: the eagle), but I have to say I much prefer the leaf. It's also more original.

FrauHilda
11-01-2009, 11:40 AM

It was based on the clip-art posted on pg 1. Since we were just toying with "how bout this"s" at that point I didn't bother to go and create original art for all the mock-ups. I certainly would if we choose something to roll with.

JedLMF
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Hold on to your butts

You realized the guy who said that released velociraptors and was subsequently eaten right?

Sgt. Mac
11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
It was based on the clip-art posted on pg 1. Since we were just toying with "how bout this"s" at that point I didn't bother to go and create original art for all the mock-ups. I certainly would if we choose something to roll with.

Thanx for all the Hard work and thought put into this already Frau

Mac

Jason
11-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I like the leaf also Spooky but that has been done many times before. We would just look like unoriginal bastages.

JedLMF
11-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Speaking of leaves... Why not a tree? I just thought about it looking at Koa's avatar. Since leaves have some connotations to them, if you know what I mean.. But a tree. Idk what do y'all think?

Grits
11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I like the eagle that Frau's come up as a first patch for this group.

That said, I'd also like to see it with the black replaced by a dark brown, and the lettering a little lighter.

(Tried to copy it and replace color myself in PhotoShop, but I couldn't get it to work...I'm not that good at PhotoShop, duh.)

FrauHilda
11-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I think dark brown would look nice, I'm sure that would be a stock fabric color choice. The hue/saturation of khaki and OD would be limited to what thread colors they offer as options, unless it were "flipped" and we went with brown thread on an OD patch (assuming they have OD as a base color)

I think once Skog makes contact, the embroiderer will be able to give us a list of options and show us what they can do with it. :)

Leif
11-01-2009, 04:44 PM
The quote is out folks!!!

Hold fast!

=)

Leif
11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
I got the quote out. Once they get me an image to work with I will have them run something with a brown in it. To save time I will pull the trigger if it looks better =)

I hope you all can trust my judgment =)

Nomad
11-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I had to make one myself. ;)

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg145/SOLIDUS_photos/BcUSAEagle.png

FrauHilda
11-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Maybe now that we have a basic concept to run with, we can let the real design begin! :D

Nice stuff there Nomad (as expected ;))

ajax3
11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Looking good to me...thanks for all of the work that is going into this project.

Grits
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Lots of design input is good when all options are open, and is to be encouraged.

Yet, I have a concern that this patch idea could get into "designed by a committee" territory. Mostly, I'd like to make sure that there is one person or three persons making the decision about the final first patch design (an odd number needed to preempt a 50-50 stalemate) . Otherwise, there can be many opinions that contradict one another to some degree (symbolism, color, text), and no final agreement.

Who are the deciders for a final design?

Nomad
11-01-2009, 09:16 PM
I say we make it a public poll. After a few variations have been drafted, we can then see which design most of the members like and print it out. :)

SpookyPistolero
11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I say we make it a public poll. After a few variations have been drafted, we can then see which design most of the members like and print it out. :)

Good idea!

smokechoker19
11-01-2009, 09:22 PM
How about all you patch crafter's and artists make up your idea and post it. Will run them all up the flagpole and see who salutes?????

Smoke

Leif
11-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Lots of design input is good when all options are open, and is to be encouraged.

Yet, I have a concern that this patch idea could get into "designed by a committee" territory. Mostly, I'd like to make sure that there is one person or three persons making the decision about the final first patch design (an odd number needed to preempt a 50-50 stalemate) . Otherwise, there can be many opinions that contradict one another to some degree (symbolism, color, text), and no final agreement.

Who are the deciders for a final design?

It seems we are going to run with the last one Frau put together. Now we have to see how that will translate to the patch. I also am going to ask during the quote process some alternate color options. We will go from there.

Faol and Koa had this idea from the beginning of the forum. I would say it is there decision in the end of what goes and what doesn't. I will stand by it as their vision.

Leif
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Quotes are coming in folks. I got a couple more I want to hear from before making a decision.

Thanks for your patience!

Trekon86
11-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Thank you, Leif, for your steadfastness in QA:)
PMZ

Leif
11-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Update

First quote back seemed fair, however they requested a credit card number through email and have no secure server. Shame shame they should know better. Soooo they are out. Got a few more coming in asap.

We will have this sorted soon!

Trekon86
11-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Take your time--the best things in life are worth waiting for.
Wait...that sounds copyrighted.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/trekon86/th_TheLadsPrayer.jpg (http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/trekon86/TheLadsPrayer.jpg)
:D
PMZ

Leif
11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Update,

Prices have been discussed and now the artwork is being worked to an image I will need to approve.

Looking good folks.

Leif
11-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Final design reached...process moving forward in the morning!

Looking sweeeeeeeeeeet!

cz-bohunk
11-06-2009, 02:40 AM
What was the final design ???

snakedoctor
11-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Just make sure to let me know! PM me skog I want a few!!

Leif
11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Just make sure to let me know! PM me skog I want a few!!

There will be a an order thread when things become ready.

It will be a first come first serve, so keep an eye out for it in the coming weeks.

Swamper
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Don't know if you finalized your decision yet, but here are a few quick ideas...

SpookyPistolero
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Don't know if you finalized your decision yet, but here are a few quick ideas...

Love the one in the top right corner!

Swamper
11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Here is an Embroidery shop that we used for our Boy Scout Troop Patrol patches. They did a good job at a reasonable price.

http://www.fanciwork.com/index.html

I will have to look around for it, but I have used a custom digitizer in South America before to digitize some artwork for some embroidery and his price was very reasonable and he did a great job with the file.
Something to think about, having the digitized file will allow you to take it to any embroiders to get items digitized yourself. Some embroiders will charge you an artwork fee and keep your digitized file, making you think you have to go back to them for any work with that file. Most all embroiders send out the artwork to get it digitized anyway.

Mountain Ron
11-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I sure like the one in the lower right!

Leif
11-06-2009, 01:19 PM

WOW those are nice!

Okbushcraft
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM

I like all of them. John.

MoxemDeliph
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
My vote goes to top right. If my vote even counts that is. How is this to be decided?

Leif
11-06-2009, 01:48 PM
The ultimate decision goes to the forum owners.

Faol
11-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Koa and I haven't talked about these yet. He is working and I am on phone calls, so I guess I am working too, but I can talk and type at the same time, and I am pretty sure that operating on a spine is a singular task that requires his full attention.

We will discuss this when we get a chance. I like the concept of the lower right the best.

Jason
11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey guys sorry I have been absent but I've been working for the last 36 hours. As soon as I am able to string two sentences together I will resume participation in matters of importance. Thanks for understanding.

Faol
11-06-2009, 07:19 PM
After discussing this, we have decided to go with the one that already had the high-resolution work done, and the sample completed by the embroiderer. We are sure this will not be the last one done, but we can keep going on forever with great ideas.

Attached is the sample provided by Skogkniv.

Thanks for the understanding and support.

Faol

IA Woodsman
11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Looks great, thanks to all who were involved. Now who do I pay to get my d@#% patches.

Leif
11-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Looks great, thanks to all who were involved. Now who do I pay to get my d@#% patches.

I will order them next week.

When I get them, THEN we will start the ordering process.

Leif
11-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Final image

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq300/norskgudtor/USAeagle2.jpg

Iz
11-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Looks awesome, guys. Thanks to everybody.
Iz

woodsmanjohn
11-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Looks awesome, guys. Thanks to everybody.
Iz

It sure does, That grey highlight around the eagle is pretty sweet. Makes it pop.
Great work everyone...

Sgt. Mac
11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanx to all who contributed, ideas, and time spent on this

Trekon86
11-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks all, looks great!
Looking forward to the patches:)
PMZ

smokechoker19
11-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Looks Great, sign me up I want several. Do they come in different sizes????

Smoke

Faol
11-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Looks Great, sign me up I want several. Do they come in different sizes????

Smoke

The first run is the 2 1/2" diameter, according to the proof on the previous page.

Koa and I are going to look at some stickers in different sizes since Frau was nice enough to do the hi-res image for us.

hog
11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Good looking design, nice to see one without military weapons on for a change.

Homeslice
11-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Looks awesome to me. I like the subdued color scheme.

MoxemDeliph
11-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I dont know what is meant by "digitizing" an image, but I work as a graphics production artist and deal with both pixel and vector based art. Whats that mean? I can take a picture (thats pixel based ie. JPG, TIFF, BMP) and render it to vector, or line based files. I believe that a stithing machine may then rasterize those lines to thread color and shape...I guess what Im saying is if someone can define what it is that patch makers need, I may be able to provide that service at no charge.

::I say all of this becuase when I produce a sign, banner, or decal those lines that are produced are the same lines that a plotter (the machine that cuts decals or art to its exact shape) uses, and other types of machines use this same technology to produce items like CNC machines.

If any of that is useful, great! If not, disregard...Im just tryin to help.

Leif
11-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen...The patches have been ordered.

They will take up to 14 days to be at my door step, I was told most likely it will not take this long.

Once I am notified that they are shipped I will start a new thread on the ordering.

This will be a first come first serve basis. Basically you will get one if you get your order in the thread in time before we reach the 130 count. Because we went way beyond a hundred interested patch counts in the "interest" thread I have ordered 130 patches.

I think it fare that no one get to overzealous and try to keep their orders to a maximum of 3. This is to give everyone a chance to have our first run of patches.

Like I stated in the patch threads I will be taking PayPal and money order only. I would prefer paypal to be honest.

Stay vigilant in the coming two weeks for the Patch order thread.

MountainWoman
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Many Thanks to all who made this possible! The final patch design is really classy!

Could you remind us how much the patches will be with shipping? :)

Leif
11-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Many Thanks to all who made this possible! The final patch design is really classy!

Could you remind us how much the patches will be with shipping? :)

Lets wait for the order thread ok. I have no idea right now. I have shipping cost to find out. Probably 2 or three stamps per order. Envelopes ETC.

When I start the order thread you will know. I would plan on them being at a maximum of $5 a piece. That is aiming high mind you. I hope to do it for less.:D

Sgt. Mac
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Good news Skog, Thanx for all of this

LMT66
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I joined this site recently and just saw this patch thread. If there happens to be an extra or 2, i'll take either.

Swamper
11-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I dont know what is meant by "digitizing" an image.

Unlike Large Format Digital Printers (Vector or Raster) and Plotters (Vector), Embroidery machines process their files in a different language. Any image that needs to be embroidered has to be created in a language the embroidery machine can understand. Very similar as how a Raster image must be converted to a Vector image that the plotter can cut from. Some embroidery machines still run with proprietary file formats, so you would have to have their software to design and run their equipment. The embroidery industry just like the sign industry (FlexiSign, Cad Link, Casmate, etc…) has specialized software to create, edit and run files to the embroidery machine. The embroidery files are much like a raster file you can only resize an image a little before it starts to degrade. When creating the files you also need to take into account the type of material it will be stitched on, very similar as how much detail can be placed in a vector image to be cut out of premium vinyl vs. an image to be cut out of sandblast mask. I hope I answered your question. If you have any other questions please let me know!

MoxemDeliph
11-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Ahah! I had figured that the software would be specific to its hardware but I thought I would ask anyway...so much for being able to help there. Thanks for setting me straight there.

Leif
11-16-2009, 03:34 PM
The patches are in. The order thread will go up tomorrow...

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz16/SkogKniv/PB160069.jpg

Woodswanderer
11-16-2009, 04:40 PM
You Da Man Buddy!!!!!

Steve

woodsmanjohn
11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Nice, those look real good...

John..

Trekon86
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Sexy!
I will be looking forward to this:D
PMZ

Okbushcraft
11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
The patches are in. The order thread will go up tomorrow...

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz16/SkogKniv/PB160069.jpg

Man, I guess you gotta return them, all of them are upside down except one! :D Nice by the way! What time should I be waiting to place that order??? John.

Leif
11-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Ok you will have to wait til I put up the thread, because that's when it will go up =)

Truth is I don't know when. Got to get envelopes and stuff.

MountainWoman
11-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks sooooo much for making this happen Skog! :)

Sgt. Mac
11-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Thank you Skog and Frau, for going above and beyond the call of duty on this projct

Mountain Ron
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM
What Mac just said. I agree 100%! Great job you two. Those look mighty fine!:) What time tomorrow? :)

Homeslice
11-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm scared of a shortage. I think I want at least 5.

Leif
11-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm scared of a shortage. I think I want at least 5.

There is going to have to be a limit to be fair and allow more to be available. Sorry. You can find out in the order thread.:D

Okbushcraft
11-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey there Skog, they look great and I hope you know I was yanking your chain in my last post about this. Thanks for getting ontop of this and going with it even when it was a bit trying.

Boonie
11-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Them patches look nice, might have to get a matching tattoo now. ;) I wish I had gotten in on this discussion earlier. I'm a big fan of Native American Myths and would have suggested the coyote or raven but eagles are cool. Now how many will we be limited to? I could use atleast two but one would be enough to slap on my pack.

Good job guys.

GunwitchUK
11-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Patch just arrived via our grumpy Polish postman :D

Cheers Skog for sorting this fella, much appreciated.
Now where the hell can i sew it!!!!

luresalive
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
will there ever be another run of these patches as I missed out on the last batch!

jungleman
02-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Ok you will have to wait til I put up the thread, because that's when it will go up =)

Truth is I don't know when. Got to get envelopes and stuff.
Hi Leif. I HAVE to go away for a couple of days for check ups, long story, so can you save two for me please, as I may well not be able to be on line.
Will I be able to pay via Paypal or U.S $s sent loose by post?.
P.M. me re this please.
Jungleman.

Faol
02-10-2010, 01:02 PM
will there ever be another run of these patches as I missed out on the last batch!

Yes, we will do another one in the near future. We will start a new thread for that run.

Faol
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi Leif. I HAVE to go away for a couple of days for check ups, long story, so can you save two for me please, as I may well not be able to be on line.
Will I be able to pay via Paypal or U.S $s sent loose by post?.
P.M. me re this please.
Jungleman.

This is a four month old thread, and the current run is sold out. We will be doing another.

I am closing the thread. Let it rest in peace. :D