PDA

View Full Version : Revolver lanyard

tennecedar
10-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Ever since I became a handgun owner I have been enthused with old wheelguns. Colt 45 service revolvers especially. It was the lanyard ring that I loved most. I remember Lee Marvin carried a tethered pistol in the movie Death Hunt. The RCMP still have the lanyard as part of their parade uniforms.

I was surfing old threads on a gun forum when I saw a Hogue part number for a lanyard screw for my Ruger GP100. A quick call to customer service had one in the mail priority express. I installed it and love the results. I plan on making a paracord lanyard tomorrow.

I have never lost a handgun from a holster but I can foresee it adding a sense of security while in the woods. Especially while riding my dirtbike or an ATV.

What do ya think?

http://bushcraftusa.com/gallery/files/1/0/5/3/5/lanyard2.jpg

http://bushcraftusa.com/gallery/files/1/0/5/3/5/lanyard1.jpg

akbound
10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Personally I like the idea and looks of the lanyard ring. Hamilton Bowen offers one as a part of some of his customs. I believe they not only make sense for retention under certain circumstances but I also believe they can look appealing.

Call me strange I guess?!? ;)

SDS
10-13-2011, 10:34 PM
I have always liked the way they look. I guess my only concern is getting the lanyard hung up on stuff when I'm in the woods.

Kind of like a saddle ring on a Winchester 94. I have no need for one, but dang if it doesn't look out of sorts if there isn't one there.

SDS

cbo
10-14-2011, 02:10 AM
if you use a self-retracting key-ring that winds up the lanyard, it might work. I am not a friend of cords dangling around, but I am also not a friend of loosing a handgun
keep us updated

tennecedar
10-14-2011, 02:18 AM
if you use a self-retracting key-ring that winds up the lanyard, it might work. I am not a friend of cords dangling around, but I am also not a friend of loosing a handgun
keep us updated

I'll post a pic of the lanyard when I get it attached. I'm planning on hooking it to my front belt loop on the holster side. The extra cord will tuck in behind my belt between the holster and belt loop. It will slide up and out when the gun is brought up into the ready position. I won't leave it dangling to catch on limbs.

Ahnkochee
10-14-2011, 02:45 AM
That's a great idea! The Brits always appreciated lanyards on most of their firearms (especially cavalry issue), and they didn't rule a quarter of the Earths surface by being pretty. :4:
That would be great to have in "bahr" country especially when fishing streams. ;) Did you have to drill and tap?

tennecedar
10-14-2011, 03:24 AM
That's a great idea! The Brits always appreciated lanyards on most of their firearms (especially cavalry issue), and they didn't rule a quarter of the Earths surface by being pretty. :4:
That would be great to have in "bahr" country especially when fishing streams. ;) Did you have to drill and tap?

It's a replacement for the factory screw. Hogue mono grips use an internal stirrup that attaches to the grip frame. The screw holds everything up and tight. They don't put the lanyard screw in their catalog. I had to call and ask for the part number #00129 1" Lanyard ring screw.

Suspectdevice
10-14-2011, 05:10 AM
That's a good feature to have, especially in the situations you have described. I used to have a GP-100, it's a good, practical pistol.

Big'n
10-14-2011, 05:40 AM
I like the look of the lanyard ring. The tether that Lee Marvin used in Death Hunt had a big loop he wore around his neck.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-14-2011, 05:54 AM
It would serve it's purpose gator huntin!

kevinkinney
10-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks for bringing it up.

I got religion on my 686 and Redhawk with the drill press last year. I looped some accessory cord directly through their grip frames, and fed it through the grip panels themselves. It left a small loop for lashing, but didn't change their profiles.

...I may have voided the warranties....:54:

Yellow Lab
10-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I think this is a good idea. General Colin Powell related a story of how, as a young eager butter bar lieutenant, he charged off during an exercise in Germany. His company commander watched his 1911 fall to the ground as the jeep sped on. After frantically searching for his beloved .45 Auto he went to man up to the company commander, who handed him the pistol and told him told let it happen again. Lucky for him he had a great leader who recognized that Powell had learned a hard lesson that day.

Fortunately someone saw it fall but if he had a lanyard on it he would have heard the pistol bouncing against the side of the jeep.

Dummy chords are ok in my book. When you are preoccupied with something and/or tired you won't notice how light your holster was until it is too late. Spoken from experience....:o

randyt
10-14-2011, 04:52 PM
awesome idea. I have a few of those old service revolvers and like the lanyard ring. I think a lanyard would be a must for canoeing, snowshoeing and such.

brionic
10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I like 'em.

If you're not hung up on aesthetic concerns, look at the GemTech lanyards (http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Tactical-Retention-Lanyard-23p144.htm).

hunter63
10-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up......I kinda liking the lanyard idea.......
There is one on the 1895 7.62 Nagant 7-shooter, but hadn't given it a thought for general use.

EdD270
10-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Like the carbine's saddle ring, the lanyard on the pistol was intended to keep combat troops, especially cavalry and mechanized troops, from losing their weapon if dropped, or if they were thrown about by a near miss from artillery or a mine or whatever.
I prefer to keep my pistol holstered until it's needed, and re-holster after use. I don't ride horses, let alone shoot off them, and don't run or jump through the woods like Grylls does, so I can't perceive I have any need for them.
If you like them, and want one, good on you, go for it.

randyt
10-14-2011, 05:36 PM
bear with me because my memory "may" be a little fuzzy. IIRC some of the colt 1911s had a lanyard loop. It may have been a different semi-auto though, ya know how memory's are. LOL

akbound
10-14-2011, 06:14 PM
As someone that spent an entire "extra" shift along with an entire 30 plus man guard mount looking for a misplaced weapon I can tell you that lanyards can be worth their weight in gold.

If I were a person that spent a lot of time around or on the water I'd have every handgun I intended to carry in that environment fitted with a lanyard ring. One handling mishap on serious water and the gun could be lost forever! But even without considering their practical value I think they can give certain guns that "something little extra" in visual appeal.

akbound
10-14-2011, 06:16 PM
bear with me because my memory "may" be a little fuzzy. IIRC some of the colt 1911s had a lanyard loop. It may have been a different semi-auto though, ya know how memory's are. LOL
Also many magazines that fit the 1911 have also been fitted with lanyard rings, (not as secure as attachted to the firearm itself but works in a pinch).

OddTheViking
10-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Yes it was the 1911. I have a repro GI model and it has the lanyard loop. There is also a website with a scanned copy of the cavalry manual on how to use your 1911 from horseback. Lost the link though.

brionic
10-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes, early 1911s included a lanyard loop at the base of the main spring housing. My early Commercial model has one, and it's nifty.

Lanyards were intended to be worn either around the waist belt, or over the shoulder and retained by epaullete. There are plenty of good reasons to use one in the field.

randyt
10-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I had to look at my two colts,. one is a remington rand and the other a colt manufacture. Both have a small loop on the bottom of the frame by the magazine. My memory not so bad after all. I have a canadian inglis high power with a lanyard ring too. I never gave these loops a thought.

akabu
10-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice and more so for a ATV if it filps it is still attached to the body.

Whit Spurzon
10-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Now you guys got me all worried about losing my gun... Maybe I need to start carrying this one. It has a proper Lanyard Ring.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/1917colt.jpg

Colt 1917 in 45 ACP / 45 Auto Rim.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/1917coltb.jpg

I don't shoot it much. Fun and accurate and nearly 100 years old. It may be due for another trip to the range.

tennecedar
10-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Now you guys got me all worried about losing my gun... Maybe I need to start carrying this one. It has a proper Lanyard Ring.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/1917colt.jpg

Colt 1917 in 45 ACP / 45 Auto Rim.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/1917coltb.jpg

I don't shoot it much. Fun and accurate and nearly 100 years old. It may be due for another trip to the range.

I'm drooling. :32::32::32:

Malamute
10-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I've messed with them a little, I bought a couple from a surplus type gun store. They are nice for stepping out into the dark to answer the call in the middle of the night in bear country when otherwise unattired, but I don't like having the cord on at other times. I've found that the tanker style holster for the 44 Smith works at least as well for the purpose.

You-all know all Glocks have a hole for a lanyard, right? That's what that hole in the bottom of the rear of the grip is for.

I installed a Smith&Wesson ring in the butt of a Ruger Blackhawk, but have never used it. semed like a good idea at the time, just never had a use for it. I figured for deep snow country it would be dandy, just never used it. Have never lost a pistol so far, in many years of carry.

petrifiedwood
10-14-2011, 11:50 PM
This has me wanting to try a different project that's somewhat related.

I bought a GP100 last year since I've wanted one for a very long time. I was disappointed they no longer come with the old style grip that had the walnut panels. Well, I discovered Ruger sells the old grips, and Midway USA sells the individual parts. So I ordered a pair of the grip escutcheons the rubber grip, and planned to make my own grip insert panels out of some fancy antler or something. I have plenty of ironwood that would look really nice on there...

rockett88s
10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
As a young marine Platoon Commander, I remember carrying a lanyard on my issued 1911. There was a frame-mounted ring, and the lanyard is an issue item. To keep the lanyard from fouling, we used to tuck most of the loop into our front trouser's pocket.

That's a good heads up on the part from Hogue...

I've seen the Gem Tech lanyards , and those by Spec Ops, all over Iraq and Afghanistan, too...

Lerch
10-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I like the look of the lanyard ring. The tether that Lee Marvin used in Death Hunt had a big loop he wore around his neck.

ROFL, I am just picturing tennecedar wearing this as a neck gun.

I can see use for a lanyard on a gun in some situations. Especially if your holster doesn't have a retention or you are using the gun on the water. If not in those situations I could see it as a hindrance rather than a benefit. I would suggest making the lanyard with a disconnect so you can easily remove it when you don't want it.

Malamute
10-23-2011, 04:49 PM
All the ones I've seen had a clip on the end to attach to the ring or hole on the gun.

I mostly use a lanyard for attaching to my screw gun (drill) when doing ladder or roof work to keep from dropping the tool and breaking it or hitting anyone below me.

alrany187
11-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Isaw Tennecedar's post and ordered the lanyard screw for my Ruger Blackhawk. I told them I had wood grips and the model was a Blackhawk. The screws arrived to day and the Ruger screw was twice as long as the grip screw, so it bottomed out long before it was seated. I called Hogue and they said I could cut it down. They only made the 2 size screws. Plus the lanyard screws are intended for the rubber grips, not the wooden ones. Just a caution before spending your money.

Ellis