PDA

View Full Version : Old threads

bsred
10-16-2011, 10:38 PM
This probably won't a popular idea but here goes.

I've just been looking at some very old threads in the self made gear section and many of them have no pictures so they're really just taking up space on the server now, not sure if this a problem but if it is these threads could be deleted to free up that space.

I'm not trying to say these threads are no good or start any trouble but for what amounts to a show and tell section (which I really enjoy) they're just taking up valuable space now. Without the pictures these threads are all tell and no show, which is kind of sad, and some make no sense without the context of the pictures.

Like I said I'm not trying to start any trouble, just trying to help. I realize it would take quite a bit of time to sift through all these threads, so I would be willing to volunteer my time to help with this.

Thanks for listening,
Red

Skab
10-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Why not just pm the poster and ask if they can repost the pictures on the posts you are looking for.

I have done it several times, and I know Ia Woodsman started going back thru and updating pictures on a lot of his old threads.

bsred
10-16-2011, 10:52 PM
That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of. Some of them are from several years ago though.
I guess we can go on and close this thread. I should have thought a little more, now I've wasted more of the valuable space I was talking about.
Sorry folks,
Red

Eagle
10-16-2011, 10:55 PM
the members of those threads probably don't know that Red ; have u tried PMing them ? I know I havent checked my realy old ones, in quite a while. thanks for the heads up; a Mod or one of the Owners will probably pop in and explain shortly...
ooooo well

bsred
10-16-2011, 11:12 PM
I kinda figured it was because of the limited space on the hosting sites and thought the old images might not be available.
Red

Skab
10-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Alot of the older pictures links were broken when the forum got upgraded awhile back.

Trekon86
10-16-2011, 11:15 PM
A lot of the threads from a couple of years back lost images, due to the attachments section being deleted during the first upgrade.

If you are a regular DIY tutorial poster, it would be wise to use an offsite image host and link your photos...

PMZ

Trekon86
10-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Skab, you're too quick, lol;):D

PMZ

Eagle
10-17-2011, 12:13 AM
crap , another twenty things to do. guess I just do edit on the broke ones??

Trekon86
10-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I guess so. Probably would be a good idea to use Photobucket or Imageshack or something though...just in case it happens again...

PMZ

Peacelovingirl
10-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Just a heads up not everybody owns a camara...

Trekon86
10-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Just a heads up not everybody owns a camara...

We were referring to those who posted old tutorials or self-made gear posts.

It's kind of hard to post a tutorial that everyone will understand without accompanying images.

I'm a text-minded sort of person so I'm able to understand text-only descriptions, if the person writing them is able to express what he or she means well. But not everybody is able to do so, hence the pics...
PMZ

Jason
10-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Good idea about PMing the original posters, I actually hadn't thought of that. Server space isn't really a problem for us though.

Old Philosopher
10-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Also, if a person is using a host like Photobucket, and they edit/move their albums or photos, the link to the forum will be broken.
Another thing is a "free" account on Flickr is limited to the latest 200 photos. Once that limit is reached, older photos are "no longer available for viewing" even though they aren't deleted from that server.
FWIW.....

riverjoe
10-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Photo bucket sometimes disappears for no apparent reason but some last forever . I was googleing Dakota fire pit not too long ago and up popped a pic I posted 2 or 3 years ago on another sight for an example of Dakota fire pit .
Phooey now its gone . I thought I had a shot at immortality there . About a million other examples tho .

bsred
10-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Some of threads were started by people that haven't been signed in for quite a while also, some I believe have left for good.