PDA

View Full Version : giveaway sub forum

kalama
10-17-2011, 02:18 AM
i am just thinking, theres been alot of giveaways,gear an knife swaps,,maybe the mods would make a seperate sub forum for them...i got a giveaway coming up,,will make another thread,still deciding on prize..

johncarbaugh
10-17-2011, 04:43 AM
I do not think it will happen. To many people will just go there looking for giveaways trying to get something for nothing. Everyone likes giveaways but that is not what BCUSA is all about. Also if the Mods made all the subforums that people ask for you would need a subforum with a list of subforums just to find anything. Just my $.02 take it for what its worth.

Peacelovingirl
10-17-2011, 05:16 AM
I do not think it will happen. To many people will just go there looking for giveaways trying to get something for nothing. Everyone likes giveaways but that is not what BCUSA is all about. Also if the Mods made all the subforums that people ask for you would need a subforum with a list of subforums just to find anything. Just my $.02 take it for what its worth.
I agree

Mannlicher
10-17-2011, 06:24 AM
heck, we could just ban give aways. :D

Peacelovingirl
10-17-2011, 06:48 AM
No but you have to admit that some people would take advantage of a Give - away forum and not really contribute or make use of all the other forums. Some people are just mean like that.

madmax
10-17-2011, 06:54 AM
No but you have to admit that some people would take advantage of a Give - away forum and not really contribute or make use of all the other forums. Some people are just mean like that.

..and some find other ways to get free stuff.

kgd
10-17-2011, 07:33 AM

You know, that honestly wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't want to take away from the generosity of people who donate gifts and items for give-aways, but it seems a distraction from the main forum content.

Skab
10-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Maybe limit them to supporters subforum, and vendor forums. Thus not choking out the good stuff in the General section.

Toddler
10-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Maybe limit them to supporters subforum, and vendor forums. Thus not choking out the good stuff in the General section.

Quite often I think that giveaways should be limited to supporters. There are a great many people that come out of the woodwork during giveaways never to be seen again after it closes and we have a winner. Sometimes I think we invite the troubles that have reared their ugly head here recently. Just my thoughts.

wildernut
10-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Here is my take on limiting giveaways to the supporter subform or banning them altogether. No.

Limiting entry to giveaways to supporters is IMO a good idea. It is a way for people to give back to the folks that actually help pay for this site.

Letting non-supporters see that there is an added benefit to being a supporter, aside from the primary benefit of not being a freeloader, is a positive. It gives one more reason to sign up as a supporter.

If you hid all the giveaways in the supporter forum, the non-supporters wouldn't see what they are missing.

As far as banning them, I strongly disagree. If you don't like them you don't need to click on them. A couple of recent giveaways, the fire prep one and the make a fuzz stick from a match one each had more bushcraft content than almost any three average threads around here put together.

drewhelean
10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Quite often I think that giveaways should be limited to supporters. There are a great many people that come out of the woodwork during giveaways never to be seen again after it closes and we have a winner. Sometimes I think we invite the troubles that have reared their ugly head here recently. Just my thoughts.

As someone who has been a supporter of this site (money is too tight for me to afford a membership at the moment) and who plans to be a supporter again I find this train of thought to be very discouraging. I have done two giveaways on this site and I wasn't a supporter either time. Are you going to tell me that people who want to do a giveaway will have to become supporters just to give back to the forum? Or will only supporters be allowed to take the gear that is being offered by people who are trying to give something back whether they are supporters or not? This reeks of elitism, you can play our games but only if you join our club. Traditionally it has been the person offering the giveaway (note GIVEAWAY) who sets the rules as to who can take part, I have seen limits put on posts, thanks, and some have been limited to subscribers.

What's next limiting how many times people can access the site unless they are subscribers? This is the kind of thing that brought me to this website in the first place. It would be a damned shame to see this site take the same route.

wildernut
10-17-2011, 08:42 AM
As someone who has been a supporter of this site (money is too tight for me to afford a membership at the moment) and who plans to be a supporter again I find this train of thought to be very discouraging. I have done two giveaways on this site and I wasn't a supporter either time. Are you going to tell me that people who want to do a giveaway will have to become supporters just to give back to the forum? Or will only supporters be allowed to take the gear that is being offered by people who are trying to give something back whether they are supporters or not? This reeks of elitism, you can play our games but only if you join our club. Traditionally it has been the person offering the giveaway (note GIVEAWAY) who sets the rules as to who can take part, I have seen limits put on posts, thanks, and some have been limited to subscribers.

What's next limiting how many times people can access the site unless they are subscribers? This is the kind of thing that brought me to this website in the first place. It would be a damned shame to see this site take the same route.

Drew,

Your point is well taken. It seems to me that there are a couple of ways to "support" the site. One is monetarily. The second is to be a good "citizen", a useful contributor who shares information and helps keep a positive atmosphere around here.

tennecedar
10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Drew,

Your point is well taken. It seems to me that there are a couple of ways to "support" the site. One is monetarily. The second is to be a good "citizen", a useful contributor who shares information and helps keep a positive atmosphere around here.

That's a great suggestion! Thank you.

Skab
10-17-2011, 09:14 AM

I hear what your saying Drew. But, here is where I'm coming from. I see the giveaways and contest as an added perk for those that are supporters.

All other content, Bushclass and downloads included is free. And that is what this site is about, the open and free exchange of ideas, skills and knowledge. People shouldn't be coming to this site for giveaways, but for the aforementioned things.

I understand times are tough. But, if someone wants to be a supporter they can get it done. For my last subscription I traded a piece of gear I made for it, cost me nothing and gained me a supporter status for another year.

Sgt. Mac
10-17-2011, 09:17 AM
I highly doubt that there will be any more sub forums made in the near future

Zornt
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Mayday, Mayday ....... Faol, Help stop the maddness !!!!!!!!!!!!!

drewhelean
10-17-2011, 09:38 AM
I hear what your saying Drew. But, here is where I'm coming from. I see the giveaways and contest as an added perk for those that are supporters.

All other content, Bushclass and downloads included is free. And that is what this site is about, the open and free exchange of ideas, skills and knowledge. People shouldn't be coming to this site for giveaways, but for the aforementioned things.

I understand times are tough. But, if someone wants to be a supporter they can get it done. For my last subscription I traded a piece of gear I made for it, cost me nothing and gained me a supporter status for another year.

Skab, I agree that the reason people should come here should be for knowledge and not just for the giveaways. I do think some of the basic kit giveaways that I have seen really benefit noobs who are trying to get started and may be hesitant to pay for membership to a site. Maybe bigger ticket items or specialized gear giveaways should be limited to supporters?

With that being said it never even crossed my mind to trade some gear in return for subscription! I hated having to let my supporter status go. Anyone interested in such a trade please PM me, I have some quality gear I will definitley be willing to part with...

drewhelean
10-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Mayday, Mayday ....... Faol, Help stop the maddness !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did this get ugly somewhere? Seems to me this is a pretty civilized conversation. Good points being made, no name calling or anything going on.

3fires
10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
I think if you're going to have a giveaway out of the generosity of your heart you should just have the damn giveaways and not get all cynical about it. If you're all so worried that some non-supporting member is gonna win the prize and run off never to be seen again then that to me is not generosity.

That's my take.

My giveaway was for supporters only, but in the future they will be open to all members who post with some frequency or good content. The reason I said supporters only is cuz I wanted folks who contribute to win, not folks who support if that makes any sense at all.

I was a supporter up until recently and will likely be one again as soon as I get my head above water. I sure didn't come here to win stuff or get free stuff, but I have gotten some.

Thanks!

Roosevelt

Grizzix
10-17-2011, 10:51 AM
If you are a member here and you want to give away some kit then you should be able to set the rules of you giveaway however you desire. If you want only supporters then that is your business. If you want only people with more than 10,000 posts then that is your business. If you want only people with purple hair, freckles and an aunt named Betty then that is your business. If I want to give MY own personal kit away that I earned or traded to get by MYSELF and want NO STIPULATIONS on who can win and who can't then until it goes against the rules of this forum that is MY business.

Thanks for reading
Scott

Iz
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Next giveaway I have I'm going to only allow red headed people to enter.
Why? BECAUSE I CAN. IT'S MY STUFF TO GIVEAWAY.

Grizzix
10-17-2011, 10:59 AM

I thanked you on your post but I'm not red-headed so I don't mean it. :D

Toddler
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm just voicing an opinion here Drew, that's all, nothing else. I'm entitled to that opinion right or wrong, so are you. I'm a pretty "Even keel" kinda guy but honestly it kind of Irks me that you had to make a personal attack. You may have noticed that I was agreeing with another members post. It appears that maybe, just maybe, I am not the only one that thinks this way. Again, just an opinion.

drewhelean
10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm just voicing an opinion here Drew, that's all, nothing else. I'm entitled to that opinion right or wrong, so are you. I'm a pretty "Even keel" kinda guy but honestly it kind of Irks me that you had to make a personal attack. You may have noticed that I was agreeing with another members post. It appears that maybe, just maybe, I am not the only one that thinks this way. Again, just an opinion.

Where exactly did I make a personal attack on anyone in this? I thought I was stating my opinion in a clear and valid way. Is the fact that my opinion differs from yours considered an attack? Or am I not entitled to MY opinion?

Siskiyou Blues
10-17-2011, 12:22 PM

As a proud redhead I am going to hold you too this. :D

But really, what's wrong with the way it is now? This seems silly.

zammer
10-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Letting non-supporters see that there is an added benefit to being a supporter, aside from the primary benefit of not being a freeloader, is a positive. It gives one more reason to sign up as a supporter.

I don't hear the Owners of this site calling non-supporters freeloaders! and if they are not saying it, then neither should you!

Being a Supporter on the site is one thing, having giveaways is another, the two are seperate things all together, the very last thing I'd do is become a supporter just so I could take part in more giveaways, when I am able I will become a supporter to help support the owners not to get into the "giveaway club"

Rant offf!

Sgt. Mac
10-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Man its gettin hot in here!

Closed fellas

SkogKniv
10-17-2011, 12:47 PM
This thread is sad...