PDA

View Full Version : medical supply sticky?

Gryphonblade
10-24-2011, 03:48 PM
From time to time, folks post links to good stuff, recently with the ax incident, there's been more good stuff showing up.

Could you folks please consider a sticky in the Bush Medicine section (or such) for 'where-to-find' posts on some of this stuff?

Most of us have FAKs. There's access to good knowledge here, but let's face it, with the scenarios we run into, Walmart isn't going to have the good stuff we should consider packing.

I'm envisioning a thread like the "gear under 100 bucks" sticky.

Thank you!

Driftingrz
10-24-2011, 04:14 PM
From time to time, folks post links to good stuff, recently with the ax incident, there's been more good stuff showing up.

Could you folks please consider a sticky in the Bush Medicine section (or such) for 'where-to-find' posts on some of this stuff?

Most of us have FAKs. There's access to good knowledge here, but let's face it, with the scenarios we run into, Walmart isn't going to have the good stuff we should consider packing.

I'm envisioning a thread like the "gear under 100 bucks" sticky.

Thank you!

just go start a thread over yonder. for everybody to post up where they get there supplies.. or listing things they do carry.. and maybe post up some links for basic knowledge we should all be carrying with us while out in the bush.. if the thread gets some interest maybe a mod will sticky it.. or atleast keep the thread bumped up on a weekly basis.. that sort of thread shouldnt be let fade away.. everybody can learn something

Carbonmated
10-29-2011, 09:33 PM
I think its a great idea. I have a FAK on my pack but I do not have trauma capability. I was actually going to make a post asking for suggestions for supplies from some of the EMT's or doctors, stuff for serious cuts/burns etc. I think I will wait and see if I can find threads existing already.

Colorado Plainsman
10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
If your looking for supplies after you figure what you want to add to you FAK Chinook medical supply has tons of great stuff from first aid bandages to more advanced stuff such as air way adjuncts ect. If you have the time take some classes.

akabu
10-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Supplies without Training are a Zero so look up the Locale Red Cross and then go from thier to more Advance training .
http://www.redcross.org/
Question not for former or Active Mil. How Many of you Know Your Blood Type ?

Carbonmated
10-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Agreed training is paramount for serious injury or medical event, I am not looking to intibate a patient in the field, just usefull 1st aid stuff for a bad cut or something. I am not trained to stitch someone up so I refuse to pack sutures. Basic supplies is what I am after.

akabu
10-29-2011, 10:47 PM
we just had a Axeident with one a member, if all the tools in the Aid Pack what was used was Knowledge and a bandana and fortitude.

MedicineMan68
10-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Here's the FAK I bought for both of my parents:

SP953 - Sawyer® Hunting and Fishing First Aid Kit - Blaze Orange Pouch

You can google it. Sorry guys, my comp is on the fritz a bit and the link thingie won't work. The only things I added to it were:
Compressed gauze
some 4x4's and 2x2's
band aids
1 CAT tourniquet
2 military cravats
immodium
benadryl
81mg aspirin
200mg motrin
also:
flash light
whistle

The kits were about $15 each plus the meds/ bandaids I bought from wally world. The compressed gauze, CAT's, and sterile gauze I already had... However, you can get most of that stuff from wally world, Amazon, or North American Rescue products (however I'd get 'em off of amazon as they're cheaper). You might also add a CPR mouth shield (cheap) for two man rescue CPR. The kits weigh in at about two lbs and are pretty easy to pack. This is a pretty well stocked basic kit for the price. (around $25-30 each all said and done-minus the CAT's which, honestly, are great kit, but a stick and cravat have been working great for years). With that kit, you can handle (with the proper training) basic boo-boos to some pretty heinous trauma until EMS/ Rescue gets there. For going out to the boonies, I might add some iodine tincture and some rehydrate and some non-aspirin alka-seltzer. As said above, the best thing in your kit is going to be training. Sorry for the long post, but WFA is a passion of mine and I get a bit excited:41:
Good Sites:
Chinookmed.com
narescue.com
sawyer.com
galls.com

MedicineMan68
10-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Supplies without Training are a Zero so look up the Locale Red Cross and then go from thier to more Advance training .
http://www.redcross.org/
Question not for former or Active Mil. How Many of you Know Your Blood Type ?

Also, Y'all may want to look up your local EMS... Quite a few services have public outreach programs where they teach CPR/ AED, First Aid, and Wilderness First Aid.