PDA

View Full Version : pf9

mikaelmazz
10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I am looking for a good pocket pistol. What are your opinion on the kel tec pf9?

Ohio Bushcrafter
10-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Well hmmm not bad...for the moneyhttp://youtu.be/wdd44jfgrLo

Adam
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Overall, I like the PF9. Itís an affordable option and a good quality gun for the price. The trigger is long and heavy like a DA revolver and as with any smaller gun, it takes a bit of effort to shoot accurately, but itís definitely doable. Depending on what kind of clothes you wear, pocket carry (if you mean pants pocket) might be a bit of an issue. I carried one in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for a good part of the summer if I couldnít carry my 19. The advantage of it is that it is thin, the disadvantage is that it is an auto and the rear of the slide can want to snag on some clothing. With cargo shorts, I never had any issues.

Probably one of the better single stack 9mm pistols out there in its size range, and at the price you can find them for, theyíre a bargain. I say go for it. Hope this helps. Oh, and if you are going to pocket carry it, you might look for the hard chromed slide or one of the cerakoted versions. The bluing wasnít an issue for me, but with pocket guns, they see all kinds of nasty stuff.

earl54
10-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Twisted industries builds a usefull 22cal conversion unit for the PF9.Had my PF9 for 1 year with no problems(1500 rnds to this point).Just ordered 22 conv. am going to give it a try.

borumas
10-24-2011, 05:06 PM
I've fired one and liked it, not a gun you want to spend a lot of time shooting targets with as it is rough on the hand but it does what it is intended to do: small, concealable, and shoots a full sized 9MM round. I found it to be accurate and reliable in the small time I had with it, it belonged to a buddy.

gunguy
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
I had a PF9 but in my opinion it's too big for pocket carry. I sold mine and bought a Kel Tec P3AT. It's smaller so I carry it quite a bit more than the PF9.

Neither one is any fun to shoot but they're both good guns. If you are a bigger guy that wears loose fitting clothes you could get away with carrying the PF9 in your pocket. I carried it in an IWB holster from Crossbreed holsters (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName).

I carry the P3AT in this wallet holster (http://unclegeorgeswalletholster.com/home.aspx) and it's much more comfortable and convenient.

Paladin1
10-24-2011, 07:27 PM
I have been carrying one for a couple years now. Always goes boom, easy to deep conceal, good firepower/capacity.

Downsides: long, fairly heavy, trigger pull, snappy recoil.

Holmesmade
10-24-2011, 07:35 PM
I traded my P3AT that I'd carried for years for my PF9. Doesn't take up to much more room than the P3AT if you have the right holster, plus you get an extra round of the larger 9mm cartridge with each magazine.

I made the holster I'm using for the PF9 to fit snug in the pockets of the pants I wear most often and it's very difficult to tell anything is there.

Sandcut
10-24-2011, 09:43 PM
My PF9 has been my EDC for nearly 3 years now. I absolutely love it!

Yes, it is snappy, but it isn't a target gun or plinker. It is a very concealable and very light carry piece with a reasonably-sized cartridge. Far superior to going with a mouse gun, IMO. Not to put down .380s. I also have a P3AT. However, for the minor difference in size, you'd be better served going w/ a 9mm parabellum.

I have IWB and OWB holsters for mine. My preferred carry for mine is IWB @0400 using the pocket clip. I've had NO issues w/ the trigger hanging up on clothing (although if you do this, be prepared for everyone in the world to tell you otherwise). If you are concerned about this, just let your index finger ride the backside of the trigger w/ forward pressure while inserting it into your pants.

My PF9 carries like a dream. I honestly forget that I'm wearing is sometimes. This is something you have to pay close attention to when running errands and stopping off at the post office (this is verboten.) It also conceals nicely while wearing dress clothes w/ no hint at printing. I made a tuckable, IWB holster out of very light leather for just such an occasion.

I found that wrapping the grip in a section of mountain bike inner tube makes it much less "bitey" when fired.

Whether you're on a budget or just like things that work well, but don't cost a mint, you can't go wrong.

Uncle J
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
I agree with just about everything that has been said above. i haved the pf9 and the p3at. both shoot well but what it comes down to for me is if i am holstering on the waist, i carry my pf9, and if i need in pocket because of how i am dressed, i carry my p3at. both are great guns and shoot well. for the money i have no complaints. i carried my pf9 in my pocket for a while but it took up my whole pocket top to bottom. so i switched out to the p3at for in pocket. you can carry either and forget they are there. Love em.