PDA

View Full Version : interesting question...

cadyak
11-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Dad, What is Book ####? and knife ####?
I guess I need to make sure that I close out my BushcraftUSAwindow whenever I get up from the computer.
I have however been involving both my 7 and 9 yr old son and daughter in all things outdoors and they have a keen interest in bushcraft. My wife looked at me after the questions and said, "this ones all yours"

gloomhound
11-11-2011, 02:41 PM
This has kinda bothered me as well.

dwightp
11-11-2011, 02:45 PM
This has kinda bothered me as well.

You know, you may be right. This is a good site.....no profanity, no nudity, no dirty jokes......maybe this is something we ought to rethink because of the family atmosphere we have here.

snakedoctor
11-11-2011, 02:47 PM
L M A O!

I went through that as well! But I told her its a joke of play on words a joke for grown ups!

Then told her it means pictures of things WE as bushcradfters like and enjoy made to look even better to make us lust and want it more!

I mean they will always question things but lord damn being paranoid about it will make thim more curious and want to look into it more!

thesilence
11-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree, I've had to explain it to my coworkers on a couple of different occasions; maybe we could come up with a different title for these tool "####" threads. BCUSA has such a great atmosphere compared to other forums, we should try to keep it that way in everything we do, even if it really is meant innocently.

snakedoctor
11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
The atmosphere has been here since the start so has the knife #### thread it changes nothing other than people worrying about all of a sudden. The word #### is not bad to a kid and is a preconceived notion to and idiot coworker!

MtnManJoe
11-11-2011, 02:56 PM
There was a thread a while back, about this very subject.
I guess every 'Parent' needs to ponder what 'values' they are representing to their kids - through their actions and words .. As adults, I guess we all have to decide how we wish to be perceived.
Granted, the word "####" (in the context of "knife ####" .. "book ####" etc) can appear innocuous .. But 'perhaps' there could be a better term for this?

snakedoctor
11-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Like what? Lustful pictures of cutting utensils? it means the same and implying that some parents are instilling poor things because they rather be upfront and explain it than BS them is just that bullshit. My kids (yes multiple and one in off to college already at 17) see me as upfront and truthful and willing to explain everything even my own faults

thesilence
11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
The atmosphere has been here since the start so has the knife #### thread it changes nothing other than people worrying about all of a sudden. The word #### is not bad to a kid and is a preconceived notion to and idiot coworker!

when you work in a small office and every one can see your computer including your boss little things like that will bother you, especially if you want to keep your job

whiskersnitch
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I was never thrilled with that either (in that it's not a word I would use), but it is what it is, and that's ok. Can't be too afraid of words, lest we start policing them. That's never good.

dwightp
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Like what? Lustful pictures of cutting utensils?

Wel,, how about something catchy like "Knife Photos"?

red
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
when you work in a small office and every one can see your computer including your boss little things like that will bother you, especially if you want to keep your job

if i were your boss, i would be more concerned that you werent doing what im paying you to do. lets not blow this out of proportion fellas. the term has been around as long as forums have been, and personally i dont see a need to change it.

rabbithutch
11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Is this an attack of the PC Police?

I, for one, believe that the PCP are the most dangerous element of our society and the most threatening to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - rights endowed by our Creator.

Teach your kids your values or somebody else will teach them their values.

Chert
11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yxKa4o2OHi8/TdQX81TklAI/AAAAAAAASN8/kjFC6iAuBJo/s400/think_of_the_children.jpg

thesilence
11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
if i were your boss, i would be more concerned that you werent doing what im paying you to do. lets not blow this out of proportion fellas. the term has been around as long as forums have been, and personally i dont see a need to change it.
I work on computers, I'm paid to be on computers all day, and when I'm not helping a client I can do pretty much whatever. I don't want this to turn into a personal argument though, the OP (and myself) was concerned about the wording on threads that could give the wrong impression to the uninformed.

PMSteve
11-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Is this an attack of the PC Police?

I, for one, believe that the PCP are the most dangerous element of our society and the most threatening to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - rights endowed by our Creator.

Teach your kids your values or somebody else will teach them their values.

Couldn't have said it better!

Way too many folks want to attach their own preconceived ideas to words that in and of themselves have no right or wrong meanings. If someone is curious, let them look at the content and judge for themselves. Nothing to hide here!

A word is just letters on a page. What images we ascribe to that word are our own. If someone wants to go to the gutter when they see a particular word, that says something about them not me.

As for explaining the meaning to a child, I believe that knowledge is the best instructor. If their age is apporpriate, tell all and let them make up their own mind.

gloomhound
11-11-2011, 03:32 PM
As an aside does anyone have a good working definition of the word "####" so that we are all working off the same page?

64duracraft
11-11-2011, 03:35 PM
While I swear like a sailor in the right company... but I was a little suprised to see the word here. And as a thread title no less. I'd be a hypocrite to say it's wrong though. If it were my forum I wouldn't allow it.

Not my forum.

My 2 cents.

Chert
11-11-2011, 03:38 PM
As an aside does anyone have a good working definition of the word "####" so that we are all working off the same page?

-Lurid or sensational material, and in the case of these forums it is pertaining to guns/packs/knives/books, not naked people.

-Writings, pictures, or films designed to stimulate excitement (who doesn't get excited looking at knives, guns, and cool bags)

The word only has sexual connotations if you put it there. I am sure most children will not assume that word means anything but what you tell them it means as their parents. I would think young kids looking at pictures of guns and knives would be in the same ranking of "bad" as them looking at the word "####".

Sgt. Mac
11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Let me put this issue to rest right now. We've had and used the term "####" since the conseption of this Board. In fact if you look at the first post of the "Knife ####" thread, you will see it is one of the earliest, most viewed, and replied to thread on here. The owners can add to what I'm sayin, but I doubt that there will be any change in the way we use the term #### on this board.

The thread is closed

Mac