PDA

View Full Version : Do you peel your carrots?

OregonDave
11-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I've always peeled mine, but I just noticed on some YouTube cooking videos that some folks don't. Gave me pause. I don't peel my potatoes, steamed Yukon Golds or Russet bakers, I just scrub 'em hard.

Well, got whole dried peas on the soak for pea soup tomorrow. I ain't a gonna peel that carrot this time. :4:

A little curry powder in pea soup? :dblthumb:

OD

jimmyt
11-30-2011, 08:26 PM
I also always peel my carrots and potatoes. Just a quirk of mine.

Swissarmy
11-30-2011, 08:34 PM
If I grow em, or know who did, I don't.
If they are store bought, handled by who knows what or who, I peel em.
Even apples!
Call me crazy but you just have no idea where that has been, or what has been put on it.

John, the baptist
11-30-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm with Swiss Army on this one. If they're organic, I usually don't, though I wash them good cause thats just a word these days. If they're conventionally grown store bought, i definitely peel them. Too much bad juju on those.

Easy_rider75
11-30-2011, 08:44 PM
When they came from Gramps garden I just pulled out of the ground gave a quick wipe off from the stores yep tatters nope lol

fire65
11-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Nope, just scrub the hard with a brush and good to go. I only peel potatoes if I do not like the way they look. All the good stuff is in the peels. I do wash somethings in soap and water since we have no idea what we are eating these days. The problem is, if it is bad stuff sprayed on it, it is probably in the plant. Who knows?

Norgrim67
11-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Ive never been a peeler. Always believed that the skin is were most of the vitamins and flavor are. I do give all my fruits and veggies and good scrub before hand thought.

Zig
11-30-2011, 09:48 PM
I've always been a carrot peeler. When I was a kid I'd eat them without peeling, just because Mama said I wasn't allowed to use the peeler!

I guess I could try them like that again.

Gryphonblade
11-30-2011, 09:58 PM
I don't peel carrots or spuds unless they are really dry and need it. They do get a good scrubbing though...ALL of my store-bought produce does. I don't trust the folks who can't wash their hands reliably...another reason I'll dig out the new stuff from the back of the pile, or dig down to get the stuff that hasn't been handled by 86 thousand grubby hands.

Apples and fruits I do peel or buy organic. I'm almost afraid to eat corn anymore but to the pesticides and fertilizers. I'm hoping to be able to set up a good garden in a few years and try to go as self-sufficient as I can.

OrionN49
11-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Fresh picked, I just scrub 'em.
If they've been stored for a while then I peel. I always peel store bought.

BushyBeard
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I've always peeled mine, but I just noticed on some YouTube cooking videos that some folks don't. Gave me pause. I don't peel my potatoes, steamed Yukon Golds or Russet bakers, I just scrub 'em hard.

Well, got whole dried peas on the soak for pea soup tomorrow. I ain't a gonna peel that carrot this time. :4:

A little curry powder in pea soup? :dblthumb:

OD

You ever try "LIQUID SMOKE" in pea soup? it gives it that "smoked hock" flavour without the hock:36:
And no i dont peel em unless there old

THE PUNISHER
11-30-2011, 10:16 PM
naw wash them,and eat em..

Jennifer
11-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Ive always questioned the idea that "all the vitamins are in the peel". Its the outermost part of the fruit/veggie and therefore is the first line of the plants defense. Its the part of the plant that protects the vital insides. Its first in line to shield the plant from chemicals and pests and the part of the plant that traps in moisture and keeps "the good stuff" from leaching out into the dirt.

So... I usually do peel the stuff Im going to eat. Some fresh stuff grown in organic conditions, Ill happily eat "whole", but for the most part, Id rather scrap off the "filter layer".

Bax 40
11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
They dont need peeling, I use a vegtable brush and clean them and taters, I love mashed taters with the peeling in em, carrots tase better to me in soups and stews with the peeling on.

Larry

OregonDave
12-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Ive always questioned the idea that "all the vitamins are in the peel". Its the outermost part of the fruit/veggie and therefore is the first line of the plants defense. Its the part of the plant that protects the vital insides. Its first in line to shield the plant from chemicals and pests and the part of the plant that traps in moisture and keeps "the good stuff" from leaching out into the dirt.

So... I usually do peel the stuff Im going to eat. Some fresh stuff grown in organic conditions, Ill happily eat "whole", but for the most part, Id rather scrap off the "filter layer".

Captain Kirk: "Computer?"

Computer: "Working!"

Well, uhhh, let me work on this for a bit. 'Kay?
:33:
OD

PS: But the carrot goes in unpeeled tomorrow for my pea soup.

WestrnBushcrft
12-01-2011, 02:16 AM
I always peel store bought if it was from my garden or I foraged it I just give it a wipe and down the hatch!!! But store bought stuff you don't know what has touched those!!!

JerseyJohn
12-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Scrape my carrots with the sharp edge of the blade, then wash real good. My wife doesn't like potato skin so if I'm cooking for both of us, it gets peeled, but if she's working, a good scrub is all.

WindWalker
12-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Miss Jeniffer,
Have always viewed my own skin in such a fashion, don't know why I never applied it to vegetables.
Food for thought.
Best Wishes

Jon Foster
12-01-2011, 03:26 PM
We usually peel the carrots too. The only time we peel the taters is when we make mashed potatoes. But, even mashed potatoes are good with the peels. Like mashed Red Skins with a lot of butter and garlic.

Jon.

gunguy
12-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Nope, but all I eat is organic whether they come out of my garden or the store. If I had to eat non-organic I would peel them.

northstar
12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
My super market carrots and potatos go un peeled. Just washed.

Tony

Highdesert
12-01-2011, 05:38 PM
All the good stuff is on the skin.

econnofoot
12-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Store bought or in the Restaurant I peel, mine no.

tiny80022
12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I dont peel carrots or potatoes. Peeling carrots are a waste of time in my eyes, and potatoes just dont taste right without the peel on em.

Marvellous9
12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Most of the carrots we eat are homegrown, and toward the end of the winter they start getting funky (wormy, occasional spots of decay) so peeling is really in order.

During garden season, though, if they're fat and fresh and the skin is intact, a quick scrub might be sufficient.

I always peel storebought.

OregonDave
12-01-2011, 07:47 PM
You ever try "LIQUID SMOKE" in pea soup? it gives it that "smoked hock" flavour without the hock:36:
And no i dont peel em unless there old

I am now the proud owner of a bottle of Wright's Liquid Smoke (hickory flavor). I'll be trying that with my next batch of soup.
Thanx!
OD

Antig
12-02-2011, 05:36 AM
I don't peel anything if they're from the garden. If they're from the store, I peel everything.

joe305
12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I always peel them. Might just be a habit, from growing up...is there a benefit to not peeling them?

nickosnow
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I never peel mine when I cook. I cringe when I see others peel fruits and veggies and throw away the scrap. I think its wasting food to not eat peels but I understand the sanitation concerns. So I just stick to my argument against throwing it straight in the garbage and then paying some company to come take it away. At least compost it. I got most of my family to save peels for my worm compost bins. I get lbs of kitchen scrap every week from others. Which gets turned into free fertilizer. The lbs of scrap could be food but at least this way its not 100% wasted.

PMSteve
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Carrots have peels?

I know that potatos, tomatos, apples and grapes have peels. When you peel a carrot you see more carrot inside. How far do you go? Do you just make a carrot fuzz stick? what if the carrot is entirely made of peelings and you're just whittling it all away.

Better to not have grown or bought it in the first place. It's like buying baking soda to freshen up your garbage can by buying a box then throwing it away. Whomever thought of THAT marketing ploy is a friggin' genious!

I wash mine in a pan of 3 parts water to one part vinegar...carrots, I mean. :4:

Old Philosopher
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM

This function of the outer layer of tuberous veggies works both ways, sort of. While the "skin" of the root acts as a protective layer it is also absorbing a lot of the minerals and trace elements that make it nutritious. Hence the story that "all the goodies" are in the skins.

That said, what Jennifer says is also true. The people who have made a distinction between organically grown, and other crops have nailed it. With the amount of chemicals that are being used commercially to increase crop production, the skins can contain more bad, than good.
It used to be that potato skins were considered the "best part" of the potato. Over the past few years, we are now being warned NOT to eat the skins of commercially raised potatoes, because of the toxins they now might contain.
Like someone else said here, if I know where the produce has been I'll opt for the "whole meal deal". If it came out of a field maintained through the marvels of Monsanto, and picked by itinerant farm hands...it gets peeled!

EdD270
12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I avoid peeling any vegetable. Usually the majority of the nutrients are in the skin and the layer just under it. Seems a shame to throw it away.

gryphon50
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Only got one thing to say......'Tater Mitts'

Mykos
12-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I generally just scrub them well.