PDA

View Full Version : Field Identification Guides

Legion
12-04-2011, 12:55 PM
In some videos here I have seen Peterson Guides being used.

Is this what most would recommend? Looking for something to put in my EDC kit for tree and plant ID.

zammer
12-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a deck of cards called Edible and Poisonous plants of the Eastern States that I usually take with me. They fit easily into a shirt pocket and weigh next to nothing.

Branm008
12-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I only have the Peterson Field guide for edible plants. I bring it with me when I will go fishing. I have found all sorts of stuff in my area, some plants I found can be eaten while others are good to know for poisonous reasons.

It was worth the money for me. I definitely will be getting more of the guides such as the medicinal herbs. Keep in mind I am not telling you to go out and eat wild things, know what you are touching and eating before you even think about using it for anything especially medicinal/edible reasons.

Hope this helps brother. I have learned a lot from my guide.

-Brandon

SilenzZzz
12-04-2011, 01:07 PM
i have the petersons edible plants and medicinal plants guides.... along with a pocket ref guide.

econnofoot
12-04-2011, 02:23 PM
i have the petersons edible plants and medicinal plants guides.... along with a pocket ref guide.

same here.

abo4ster
12-04-2011, 03:01 PM
In some videos here I have seen Peterson Guides being used.

Is this what most would recommend? Looking for something to put in my EDC kit for tree and plant ID.

I used a Peterson's Field Guide for Trees in a video on tree identification video I made purposely, as it is popular, has layman terms, and covers a large geography. In addition, the western and eastern version are made the same. The purpose of my video was to 'teach a person to fish' as what I did with the Peterson's will apply to other books with dichotomous keys.

That being said and purely my opinion... The Peterson's Field Guide to Trees (not edible plants, etc.) is a great book for the casual user or someone who travels outside thier regular geography and for that is nice to have. If you are really interested, I would invest in a book or two specific to your geography. Just make sure it has a dichotomous key and winter tree ID guide (twigs). Places to look are your state's university press, State Park or National Forest store, and/or ask you local county forester or native plant society.

Gurthy
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I recommend National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region . Amazing pictures (including good pics of bark and fall colors to help ID in all seasons)... it's easy to use and the faux leather binding is durable and nice looking. Here is a link (http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-Society-Field-American/dp/0394507606) to it on Amazon

Legion
12-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info brothers/sisters/four legged camping companions/etc etc.

I'm better armed now for what to put on my Christmas list. =)

Two Bears
12-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I've used the Peterson Field Guide for a lot of years. I have the medicinal and edible guides.