PDA

View Full Version : Optics for the Bushcrafter?

Boonie
11-14-2009, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone carries binoculars as part of their regular kit? I'm in the market for a decent and affordable mid size pair. My eyesight has never been the greatest and it isn't improving any. I'd love to get something like the Steiners but generally the price is a bit steep for my budget. Any suggestions?

Leif
11-14-2009, 02:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone carries binoculars as part of their regular kit? I'm in the market for a decent and affordable mid size pair. My eyesight has never been the greatest and it isn't improving any. I'd love to get something like the Steiners but generally the price is a bit steep for my budget. Any suggestions?

Depending on where I am going I do. If I head to the north big woods I bring them to increase my chances of actually seeing some wildlife haha. I have a small pair of JASON brand. Pocket size. Probably 15 years old by now I wager.

tennecedar
11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm leaning more toward a brass telescoping field glass. If I can find one.

woodsmanjohn
11-14-2009, 02:16 PM
I’ve have a pair of Bushnell Field Glasses I’ve used for several years, but sometimes carry a monocular…

1stcavmp77
11-14-2009, 02:24 PM
i too am lookin for a compact, affordable set of bino's since i'm a want to see what's on the other side of the hill kinda guy.

Sgt. Mac
11-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I got a small monocular that I carry thats all

GreyOne
11-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Have used Bushnell, Steiner, Leupold, Pentax, Jason, , Zeiss, and Swarovski binoculars.
There is a reason why the expensive ones still sell. The difference in clarity, chromatic aberration, alignment (or misalignment), coating of lenses, it all adds up. The cheap brands will give fuzzy images, poor resolution, and inferior light transmission in lw light. Their misaligned barrels will cause eyestrain and headaches if used more than a few minutes at a time.
The Pentax seem to be acceptable quality for a reasonable price.
The Leupold to me give 75-80% of the quality of Zeiss, for about half the price.

One bargain I did find was a Carson monocular in 7x18 size, with a near focus of 10 inches ! Great for nature study, useable for long range work if needed. They were about 15 dollars. Since no barrel alignment is involved, and their optics are quite clear, this is a real useful little item.

Trekon86
11-14-2009, 07:32 PM
A pair of opera glasses or a leather-wrapped brass field glass would rock my socks!
For now I have to use a cheapo pair of small ones from S-mart, or else carry my HUGE binoculars:)
PMZ

wolfy
11-14-2009, 08:11 PM
This is just a "heads-up" for my new-found friends here, but the less expensive Nikon riflescopes have become the rivals of all who have been at the top of the heap for many moons.

Cabela's have them for amazing prices and their guarantee is without reproach.

I have also been impressed with the WindRiver sidline from Leupold as to binocular preferance.

What do I carry??????? Cheapass Tasco 8X40's that I bought in case-lots from Sportsman's Guide around 5 years ago. They were and are still, an incredible glass, for the money. They cost and INCREDIBLE $8.00 each in case lots of 12. When the dude's supervisor learned that he was selling them to me in case-lots he was shut off, but there's alot of my friends that are happily glassing the surrounding hills today because of this deal.

Don't shrug off some of the cheaper buys in optics, just because of previous biuses. Some of this stuff is an incredible bargain.

BTW, my buddy that I have hunted with for the past 31 years is using a pair of these Tasco 8X40's that he leaves on his dashboard in lieu of the Steiner 10X35's that are safely stored in his glovebox with the lens caps on.

Makes me giggle!

Bon Chance!

Mountain Ron
11-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a pair of Bushnell 16 X 32 compact bino's and a 10x monocular. Cheap but works fine for me.

GreyOne
11-15-2009, 01:59 AM
I have a pair of Bushnell 16 X 32 compact bino's and a 10x monocular. Cheap but works fine for me.

16 magnification ? I find anything over 10x too hard to hold steady- end up needing a rest of a tripod mount. The micro tremors just make for too much blurring of image.

The monoculars are really handy for a small lightweight carry that is able to give serious visual aid. I find a 30x60 spotting scope useful at times as well- with a small tripod- for longer range hunting situations and some bird watching.

ajax3
11-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I also have a pair of cheapo Tasco binoculars. I've had them for 15 years and they have been great to have in my pack. I think I paid $20 for them.

jager
11-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Check out Vortex Binoculars. Suggest SWFA web site . Pretty much bomb proof warranty. Very reasonably price , in what is considered mid range today. Great performance and optics. We have two pair in the family , latest is the "Fury "and they are in constant use.

Grits
11-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I carry a Brunton monocular.

By scanning antique/collector/thrift malls, I have scored a Tasco 10x50 (nice pair for the price of $5.00!) and an old pair of Sears brand 7x35 binocs circa 1950's for $20.00. I'd use either of them for "several minutes of glassing" on field trips.

Might want to consider Nikon. My family gave me a pair of Nikon 7x40 binocs one Christmas. My brother-in-law got picked them out, as he is a binoc fanatic, probably has 20+ pairs of the most expensive types (Leopold, Zeiss, ??). He said the Nikons are the best new binoc you can get for under $200.00.

Rook
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I have Steiner predator binoculars that I picked up from the fall hunting classic at Bass pro about 5 years ago. Had they not been one of those sale deals I'd not bought them, but at $125 out the door I didn't feel so bad. Nice optics and small footprint.

Sharpdogs
11-15-2009, 07:12 PM
This is the one I carry. Not too expensive and it works well with my glasses.

Brunton Echo (http://edcdepot.com/bruntonechopocketscope7x18.aspx)

swamprat
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Might want to consider Nikon. My family gave me a pair of Nikon 7x40 binocs one Christmas. My brother-in-law got picked them out, as he is a binoc fanatic, probably has 20+ pairs of the most expensive types (Leopold, Zeiss, ??). He said the Nikons are the best new binoc you can get for under $200.00.

Ditto what DrGizmojo said. I have a pair of Nikon 10 x 42 binocs that i have carried for a year now and think they are excellent optics. I got them on sale from Cabella's for around $95. I have owned Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons and several other mid to low range binocs, but the Nikon beats them all.

Boonie
11-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the great replies, I checked prices against what I might be able to spend after Christmas and it looks like a toss up between Steiner and Leopulod both have an 8X30 compact for around 150-180 bucks. I'll still keep looking and accepting any suggestion ya'll might throw at me.