PDA

View Full Version : need help with short machete mod

sawzall
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I have an old made in japan 18" machete. I used it to cut corn stalks and it bent like crazy.

Today I took a hacksaw and cut it down to about 7 or 8 inches and tried to split wood and it bent along the edge again. Is there a way to strengthen this to use it for heavy work or is that just how they are made?

Thanks

madmax
12-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Is the blade bending along the spine? Or the sharp edge rolling?

edit. Actually if it's bending on corn stalks, I think you might have an unusable blade (too soft). Somebody might have used a grinder to sharpen it and ruined the temper. If it won't cut corn stalks, it won't split wood.

You could heat treat the blade, but I'ld just get a 6 dollar Tram and you can mod it. Here's a Tram cut down on the right. Works pretty good.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/madmaxx3/005-10.jpg

sawzall
12-10-2011, 01:36 PM
its bending along the sharp edge.

what is a good site for trams?

Skinny
12-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Do you have pics? How badly is it bending on the edge? If it's not too bad, it may just have a poor grind on it and need to be reground (like almost every other machete out there).

econnofoot
12-10-2011, 01:54 PM
yeah sounds like just 'rolling' it shoot a pic

sawzall
12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
no pic right now. the edge is rolling I guess is what you would call it like you pinched it with two fingers and then bent that pinch to one side. If that makes sense

Skinny
12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
How high up does the roll go on the edge?

madmax
12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Think a regrind will do it if it's rolling on corn stalks, Skinny?

Skinny
12-10-2011, 02:06 PM
It depends I guess. If it's just the edge, it might be ground way too thin. If it's coming up the edge more than an 1/8" or so, it's definitely got something wrong.

I've just had a lot of cheap machetes come through my store here that had some atrocious grinds.

sawzall
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
does anyone have a good site that shows a good grind? I am gonna try to grind it with a grinder and then temper it some how.

VaughnT
12-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Take the cut-off piece and heat it to a bright orange. Then drop the hot metal into a bucket of water. Then hit the chilled metal between a hammer and the driveway. If the metal shatters, it's probably a good steel that wasn't heat-treated properly. If it doesn't shatter, it's probably too soft to be heat-treated to hold an edge. Big difference between mild steel like you buy at lowe's and high-carbon steel that makes a good knife or leaf spring.

sawzall
12-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I heated the blade in a wood stove till it was red and quinched in water. Then put in oven at 400 degrees and heated for an hour then let the oven and blade cool with door closed.

Sanded down till it was mostly silver. sharpened and reinstalled plastic scales but had to duct tape cause they felt kinda loose. Will come up with something better

Tried chopping saplings did fine and split soft wood for kindling. Tried an old piece of apple wood and when I batoned the spine twisted a little but the baton knocked it back pretty straight.

Overall pretty good for my first time working with metal. I need to shorten and sew the sheath to fit.

Sorry bad pic used my phone.

Skinny
12-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Glad you got it worked out!