PDA

View Full Version : The little Bird and Trout

whiteoak
12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Please forgive the old guy with poor computer skills, this may have been discussed before, But I have been using a A.G. Russell Bird and Trout knife to clean small game for at least the last 15 years. I love this little knife for all the fine work you have to do that a larger knife just can't. I also see that Cold steel has a verison that is similar. I keep seeing all these people pick a 5" or larger knife as their "one tool option" and keep thinking about trying to clean a squirrel with a Ka-Bar and wonder if I would end up loosing fingers. It just seems to me that someone should make a good leather sheath for these bigger knives that would also hold a knife like this along with it. I saw the Potbelly and it's small knife but did not like the design as much as the classic bird and trout. Any one else ues these as small game knives?

Rider
12-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Yep! Sure do. Well, Mora #2...4 inch blade. if you'd qualify that...And, I've seen, grant it has been a while, a Case brand knife set in a very nice leather sheath that was like you described...Had a 6 or 7 inch blade, then a small bird and trout knife on front of that. I think it even had a little pouch for a stone. I wanted one for years, but they're a bit pricey. But from what I've seen, the price of a custom sheath would be around the same price as just buying the whole set.

solocanoe
12-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I've had the AG Russell Woodswalkers - loved the little pocket sheaths they come with...gave 'em as gifts...

i still have my AG "hunters scalpel - been a good blade for me for years.
That little knife is amazing -- and one I like a ton for cleaning small fish....
it's like an extension of my index finger the way I hold it.

and I've been looking at the bigger size, the AG bird and trout....it's cool that you liked yours that long, whiteoak - nice to hear. I may have to get one of those...

I know that Werewolf One and I discussed the CS version - he's a big fan of his - especially since it's such a sanitary clean up (no scales)

Moe M.
12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Please forgive the old guy with poor computer skills, this may have been discussed before, But I have been using a A.G. Russell Bird and Trout knife to clean small game for at least the last 15 years. I love this little knife for all the fine work you have to do that a larger knife just can't. I also see that Cold steel has a verison that is similar. I keep seeing all these people pick a 5" or larger knife as their "one tool option" and keep thinking about trying to clean a squirrel with a Ka-Bar and wonder if I would end up loosing fingers. It just seems to me that someone should make a good leather sheath for these bigger knives that would also hold a knife like this along with it. I saw the Potbelly and it's small knife but did not like the design as much as the classic bird and trout. Any one else ues these as small game knives?

Well that makes two of us old farts who recognize a great knife when they see it, my favorite of all my knives, the one I would keep if I could have only one would be my old Western (made by Camillus) Bird and Trout knife, carbon steel blade, brass guard, Jigg boned scales, Aluminum Pomel.
This knife has been with me on every hunting, fishing, canoe trip and family camping trip that I've taken for the last fifty years, and except for the gray patina of age it's just a pretty and just as sharp as the day it was made.
I don't take it woods bumming out of respect for the character of the knife, we have become close friends over the years, I would no more take a baton to that knife than I would to any close friend.

Spork
12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm a fan of the AGR Woodswalker. My original one has been on my Flyfishing bag since forever. I made a strap sheath for it that also holds my hemostats.

I've got a few of them...even dolled one up in G10 and mosaic pins.

http://bushcraftusa.com/gallery/files/9/2/5/6/g10_agr01.jpg

Awasos
12-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Is this the guy?

Awasos
12-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Whiteoak:

Check this Youtube review

AG Russell Bird & Trout Knife: Backpacking Perfection - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q97-oqqIDI)

whiteoak
12-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Is this the guy?

No thats the new knife with scales, the one I have is just a shank of steel with a ring on the end for your finger to assist with retention. Cold Steel had one with a similar appearance but a slightly differnt blade shape. I would post a pic if I was able to do I'm at work...:27:

whiteoak
12-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm a fan of the AGR Woodswalker. My original one has been on my Flyfishing bag since forever. I made a strap sheath for it that also holds my hemostats.

I've got a few of them...even dolled one up in G10 and mosaic pins.

http://bushcraftusa.com/gallery/files/9/2/5/6/g10_agr01.jpg

I have looked at those they look like they would be great kinves just perfect for what I use mine for, but my old knife does not have any scales just a ring, and a shank attached to the blade. but I bet this and the one Awasos has in the photo and video are better for cold weather.

alex30808
12-19-2011, 09:53 PM
I've got a full tang Old Hickory paring knife that I made a very small sheath for and have it tucked away in my Maxpedition pouch that's strapped to my BK-2. I agree that a huge knife is not always the best option!

Spork
12-19-2011, 10:22 PM
I have looked at those they look like they would be great kinves just perfect for what I use mine for, but my old knife does not have any scales just a ring, and a shank attached to the blade. but I bet this and the one Awasos has in the photo and video are better for cold weather.

I know which one you're talking about now. The ring-handled Trout knife originally produced by Marbles. I have one of the reproduction Marbles somewhere from the late '80s. I didn't recall AG's version. I believe the CS version is slightly larger bladewise.

There's a variant sold under the Mossberg name - LINK (http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Mossberg%26reg%3B/Mossberg%C2%AE+Bird+%26+Trout+Set/MB06314.html)

Also Condor recently came out with one that replaces the ring with a cap-lifter - LINK (http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CN301HC/condor-tool-)

whiteoak
12-19-2011, 10:27 PM
I know which one you're talking about now. The ring-handled Trout knife originally produced by Marbles. I have one of the re-production Marbles somewhere from the late '80s. I didn't recall AG's version. I believe the CS version is slightly larger bladewise.

There's a variant sold under the Mossberg name - LINK (http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Mossberg%26reg%3B/Mossberg%C2%AE+Bird+%26+Trout+Set/MB06314.html)

Also Condor recently came out with one that replaces the ring with a cap-lifter - LINK (http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CN301HC/condor-tool-)

Mine may be a Marbles I purchased it from A.G. but he sells for many makers, I thought it was an AG Russell knife but could be wrong, I'm at work and cant go check on it now.

rusty stove
12-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Marbles

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss205/JDFISHBACK/MARBLESBIRDANDTROUT.jpg

Cold Steel

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss205/JDFISHBACK/COLDSTEELBIRDANDTROUT.jpg

MANIMAL
12-19-2011, 10:57 PM
im kinda liking the look of the CONDOR version

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/MANIMALKINGDOM/BBT.png

Zig
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
These little guys look like they'd make great neck knives. I stopped using my Mora like that except a night because I didn't like the weight while hiking/working. These skeleton ones should be super light and with a good sheath you could even use some Ranger Bands to make a nice little backup kit.

Then there's the regular use for it! Gotta love double use items. I don't like to use my Mora for food prep, so this might be nice for tasks where I don't really need to take out the fillet knife and the cutting board.

Thanks for mentioning these. I had forgotten all about them. Seems like another purchase to add to my list.

IamLegend
12-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I just contacted a vender awhile back about making me a skinner and bird combo set. Not really a set I guess but two small knives for those specific tasks. My explanation was that no matter what blade I seemed to bring with me during large or small game hunting I ALWAYS end up using the smallest (usually a pocket knife) blade on me for field dressing and such. Between a 2 and 3 inch blade is ideal to me for such a knife. I'm looking at - large knife and hawk on my belt - small skinner in my boot - and small bird/patch or neck knife around my neck. Always have a folder in my pocket but that's part of me like my pecker or something:)

wsdstan
12-20-2011, 12:29 AM
I routinely use a old Gerber trout and bird knife (the one with the metal handle) and Russell belt knife. Both are small, easily carried in a butt bag or on the belt. The Russell is enough knife to dress out a whitetail, the Gerber is a wonderful fish and game bird knife. Another OF I am.

Loosearrow
12-20-2011, 06:56 AM
I had an old Gerber trout and bird knife for years till my son snapped it. I still have the sheath. I came across some old Gerber "Minx" steak knives and found that I now have 5 bird and trout knives. Seemed to be the same design. They are sharp little razors and great for small game and easily washed up.

werewolf won
12-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Like Solo mentioned I use the CS knife around water, but I also have a small Trout and Bird knife by Blind Horse that is really my favorite. A trapper pattern pocket knife is a nice choice as it makes quick work of small game and birds and fish as well. Itís spey blade is an especially good skinning blade for not damaging the hide. Mine is just for game work, no food prep with a slip joint that has been covered in bird blood for me.

I have my newly acquired bone handled neck knife from Highwayman that should see some work as a game prep knife too.

Wolf

95bv5
12-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I use the Marbles with the ring handle for a neck knife when I'm in the woods. Its very capable and takes a nice edge. It took me a little time to get used to using the ring handle but its a pretty nice feature once you get used to it. I bought the knife in a knife shop in Mackinac City a few years back. Wish I had got an extra.

samthedog
12-20-2011, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=IamLegend;925697]I just contacted a vender awhile back about making me a skinner and bird combo set. Not really a set I guess but two small knives for those specific tasks. My explanation was that no matter what blade I seemed to bring with me during large or small game hunting I ALWAYS end up using the smallest (usually a pocket knife) blade on me for field dressing and such. Between a 2 and 3 inch blade is ideal to me for such a knife. QUOTE]

I sound like a broken record but the advice I give everyone when they ask me about knives sounds a lot like your experiences. Start small and if you need more, upgrade later. The guys who I consider extremely skilled with knives do nearly everything with a trapper or stockman folder.

Paul.

EdD270
12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I have the CS ring handle B&T knife and also the AG Russell Woodswalker. Love them both. I often can't decide which to carry so I take both. I sewed a small pouch onto the Woodswalker's pocket sheath so it safely holds a mag bar and ferro rod and diamond sharpening stone. I'm saving up for an AG Russell B&T knife like shown in the excellent video, the one with the regular grip and clip-on sheath. I have some large knives, Buck Special and etc., but just can never find a need for them that justifies carrying the big things around. I've even used the Woodswalker to field dress deer and antelope, and the CS B&T to field dress deer and coyotes. Both have dressed numerous quail, squirrel, rabbit and etc.
Love them small useful knives.

mneedham
12-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I love Bird and Trouts, My girls and I recently made these from D2 blanks:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj259/mneedham_photos/DSCF1856.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj259/mneedham_photos/DSCF1790.jpg

solocanoe
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
wow, mneedham - those are stellar! congrats on some great work there!

180deg Out
12-20-2011, 06:38 PM
First off, thank you Whiteoak. You have just allowed many members of this site to confirm the small knife as the most usable form of knife for the majority of tasks people use knives for. I especially liked the Old Hickory Paring Knife mention. Also a big thank you to all that referred to the AG Russell Woodswalker (my personal favorite since they were first issued in either 79 or 80). If you peruse the Russell catalog, you will note that many of the kitchen knife sets offered contain paring knifes that mysteriously resemble the Woodswalker. While the big knife (5-6 inches or above) definitely have uses, the Pareto Rule, also known as the 80/20 rule, says that a same or similar situation will bring about the use of a similar object. Your post and the replies bear this out. On the other hand, BIG knives do have a cool factor-if needed.

whiteoak
12-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I love these small fixed blades, I once got a nasty cut from a folder while dressing out a turkey, so now try to process game with just fixed blades or a least a solid lock back. I think that there is so much intrest in processing firewood and building shelter with knives right now that the little knives seem to be forgotten. If you go camping a larger knife is worth the weight, but as a hunter and fisherman on my own land I really never needed a "bush sword" Just a really sharp 4" or less blade for processing game. And if you do have a large knife these little blades are still worth their weight in gold when you have small tasks. The one knife option to me is similar to the one gun option "Why in the world would I want just one?"

JohnP
12-21-2011, 06:29 AM
I love these small fixed blades, I once got a nasty cut from a folder while dressing out a turkey, so now try to process game with just fixed blades or a least a solid lock back. I think that there is so much intrest in processing firewood and building shelter with knives right now that the little knives seem to be forgotten. If you go camping a larger knife is worth the weight, but as a hunter and fisherman on my own land I really never needed a "bush sword" Just a really sharp 4" or less blade for processing game. And if you do have a large knife these little blades are still worth their weight in gold when you have small tasks. The one knife option to me is similar to the one gun option "Why in the world would I want just one?"

Well said, that right there. :dblthumb:

~JohnP

Uinta
12-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I bought a small kit awhile back that was labeled ourdoor life. It has a small sheath that holds scissors, a small hook and a bird and trout knife with the ring on the end. Awesome little kit. My wife adopted it for her purse LOL