PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Glue...Better Than A Band-Aid?

Utlesadi
12-26-2011, 12:36 AM
For at least three years now Ive been tossing small bottles of Crazy Glue in my glove boxes, PSK's, and any other place I can cram them and they've saved my fingers on more than one ocassion lol I dont think they're so toxc they could make you sick, but I personally hate the feel of a band-aid when carving or just doing everyday tasks. So I put a drop or two of Glue on my cuts to keep them closed and they usually heal up pretty fast. Just thought Id see what you guys thought of it or see if anybody else was crazy enough to use Crazy Glue as an alternative to Band-aids:p lol

Marsh
12-26-2011, 12:46 AM
My uncle just came home yesterday from getting his knee replaced. Thats what they've used to shut that long incision. But I did hear once that it depends on the wound. Sealing some wounds completely shut with super glue may make things worse if the wound cant seep.. I'm thinking infection here?

Over at woodcarvers site... thats all they talk about.. is using super glue on the clean cuts they get with carving knives.

Marsh.

itsbaker
12-26-2011, 12:50 AM
in a FAK it would be good to put some butterflies. I got a cut on side of my head and they shaved a patch and superglued butterflies in stead of stitches holds for four to five days. Less painful than floss and a needle.

Feral Hobbit
12-26-2011, 12:56 AM
I use glue in my FAK. I had never heard of it being dangerous or toxic until my buddy tried telling me it causes blood poisoning. I haven't looked into too deeply. He couldn't remember his reference for the info, so it may be BS.

arctxbushman
12-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Superglue/Derma-bond. Same thing basically.

HillbillyBushcraft
12-26-2011, 01:20 AM
This has been covered a handful of times. Try searching for it.

I have used it on medium gashes, others have, but no one will recommend it.

In short and in my opinion, put it in there (FAK), you'll know what to use it for if/when it's needed.

Jennifer
12-26-2011, 01:58 AM
There are differences between the cyanoacrylates. Methyl 2-cyanoacrylate and ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate are what are used in making things like Krazy Glue. n-butyl cyanoacrylate is the "approved" medical grade CA formulation (Derma-Bond).

The non-medical grades, besides being different insofar as base chemistry, also usually have other chemical additives to alter their effects (cure rate, viscosity, etc) which may have unknown health effects (most likely allergic reactions).

Just a heads up! :) :) :)

Dux
12-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Works great on me and my dog. Make sure the wound is clean and dry.(adheres better) Leave enough unsealed that it can drain if it needs too. Wouldn't hurt to put it in an old prescription bottle or some such as I've had 'em bust open on me in my pack. Also have some Acetone/Nail Polish Remover with ya as well.

tennecedar
12-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Remember that we have young, impressionable members here on the forum. I refrain from giving medical advice or talking about alternative methods of first aid(not national standards). I fear that a young person may try to glue shut a wound that needs medical attention. I don't want that on my conscience. YMMV

jasonhcc
12-26-2011, 02:16 AM
I've used it with several wounds/cuts with no "ill effects".
I've always done a full seal too (not say you should or shouldn't), It's just what I've done.
However, I'm also very prone to NOT getting infections or sick easily :)

The best example of my use:
I was hiking and busted my toe open, kept bleeding and so on, bad enough that a band-aid wouldn't stay on from getting soaked. I used some Super Glue, let it dry for 10 minutes and was good for 'till the next day.

SilenzZzz
12-26-2011, 02:34 AM
i have used it in an emergency .. but i also later got chewed out by the er nurse for using it ... all i could get out of them basically is one of them is 'tested and sterile' and the other could have potential reactions ...

Survive
12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Use CA glues, cyanoacrylates or super glues, for medical purposes was implemented early in this glue's development. It was used my medical teams during the Vietnam war.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2187/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

You can still find CA glues in hospitals today

Sgt. Mac
12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
This subject has been discussed many times on here. The advice from the Doctors on this site as well as many other qualified medical personal on here, advise against this.

Thread closed