PDA

View Full Version : Considering another knife... couple questions

RiverRatMatt
12-31-2011, 05:26 AM
I've been a Bark River guy for years and always will be, but I'm considering something they don't make anymore.

I'm thinking about getting a bushcraft/woods knife in a true high-carbon steel (1080, 1095, etc - non-alloyed) with an RC around 54. I heavily prefer convex from the factory and made in USA. So far I have no idea what manufacturers to look at for something like this, so what are some manufacturers and distributers I should look at?

WestrnBushcrft
12-31-2011, 05:39 AM
I don't think I've heard of manufactures in the US that convex their edges except for custom makers...

econnofoot
12-31-2011, 06:03 AM
finding a convex on a US made factory knife....don't see it happening...might be an exception out there but I have yet to see it.

WestrnBushcrft
12-31-2011, 06:07 AM
I FOUND SOMETHING! Blackjack Knives.... They say their like ESEE (RAT) Cutlery...

Liveitloud
12-31-2011, 06:59 AM
I have been looking at this one for awhile wanting to get it. Just haven't gone there yet. Convex grind in A2 steel. It's model 125 I think.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/Bluntrauma/MISC/IMG_9991.jpg

econnofoot
12-31-2011, 07:07 AM
they make nice stuff...I've handled a few at knife show....kinda more a semi custom far as my wallet is concerned

hillst1
12-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Blackjack knives are made by Bark River.

Bax 40
12-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Matt , Jim Crowell of Mountain View Arkansas would brobably make you one, as others have said a convex edge cannot be done on a machine and most custom makers harden to 58 or better, after using convexed knives I think you would be dissapointed with any thing else especially in that low of hardness.

Larry

I've been a Bark River guy for years and always will be, but I'm considering something they don't make anymore.

I'm thinking about getting a bushcraft/woods knife in a true high-carbon steel (1080, 1095, etc - non-alloyed) with an RC around 54. I heavily prefer convex from the factory and made in USA. So far I have no idea what manufacturers to look at for something like this, so what are some manufacturers and distributers I should look at?

Frederick89
12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
The only knife I've seen so far having the conbination of 1075, 54/56 HRC and convex grind. Made in the UK, though.
http://www.s-staniforth.co.uk/item/189/Special_Edition_Chris_Caine_Survival_Knife

A K Church
12-31-2011, 08:39 AM
would be toward the hard end of most USAF survival knives, and s'far'z I know, they are all 1095. Camillus bright polished commercial ones seem to be the best ground, but try and find one...

A clever fellow who isn't freakified by the huge pointless fuller could likely convex one, and at least have you into a test-of-concept knife.

ezra45
12-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Save just a little more money and talk to Iz, Adventure Sworn, JK,Paul Moore, Sugar Creek,ML,or any of the other custom makers in the vendor section. Get exactly what you want from a single maker supporting his family and you will have a tool that will last your lifetime.

Regards,

ezra

Dr. Redneck
12-31-2011, 12:04 PM
there also might be some custom makers, we have alot of makers on the site that do what you described, you might want to talk to S. Gossman here on BCUSA, he does some awesome convex work, hope this helped

Looker
12-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Save just a little more money and talk to Iz, Adventure Sworn, JK,Paul Moore, Sugar Creek,ML,or any of the other custom makers in the vendor section. Get exactly what you want from a single maker supporting his family and you will have a tool that will last your lifetime.

Regards,

ezra

Amen, Brother.

Looker

Double Ott
12-31-2011, 06:39 PM
I second the choice of a Black Jack 125. Created by Mike Stewart and his family of Craftsmen at Bark River Knife & Tool. A recreation of Bo Randal's favorite Randal, the model 25 Trapper.

http://gallery.brkca2011.com/albums/album52/125_desert_ironwood_burl.sized.jpg (http://gallery.brkca2011.com/albums/album52/125_desert_ironwood_burl.jpg)
Click It!)
Desert Ironwood Burl w/ spacers
A2 steel, convexed edge.

This is my first Black Jack, a beauty from Jason at DLT Trading Co.

Regards, Double Ott
P.S. sorry for the production pic. I haven't had time to take some pics at home.

pitdog
12-31-2011, 08:22 PM
I'd highly recommend going custom, loads to choose from that rock the convexed grind....Iz ( Turley knives ), ML Knives, Bryan Breeden, Scott Gossman....etc, etc !!!

XMP
12-31-2011, 09:50 PM
I too just recently got a BlackJack 125 (produced by the Bark River crew). Its a great knife. I got the stacked leather just because of the classic look.

Several people have suggested ML Knives. He does custom work at nearly factory prices and you'll get a convexed knife in 1095 with a classic look. Here is something I recently received from Matt.

Swede6.5x55
12-31-2011, 10:48 PM

I was just looking at some today, $155 for a 4" blade with micarta handles. I almost asked to touch one. Bad thing, because i touched a Benchmade Nimravus Nim-Cub with the tanto blade(not my favorite) and now it's kn my hip.