PDA

View Full Version : Where?

Myxinikela
01-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Where does one register a complaint. I have been off this site for a long time. I came back on after we had a cabin medical emergency to list our first aid supplies. I logged in, the window upper right welcomed me, the thread window said (small print upper right of widow) "Logged in as Myxinikela", but when I hit send I got a not logged in message plus a page to log in on. I logged in again with the same result. I copied my post, left the site, it welcomed me in the upper window, but would not accept my post. I finally, after closing out again and re-entering, got it to go.

What gives?

wildernesswikiup14
01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I'd take it up with one of the mods or KOA or Faol

Kevinthewise
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Where does one register a complaint. I have been off this site for a long time. I came back on after we had a cabin medical emergency to list our first aid supplies. I logged in, the window upper right welcomed me, the thread window said (small print upper right of widow) "Logged in as Myxinikela", but when I hit send I got a not logged in message plus a page to log in on. I logged in again with the same result. I copied my post, left the site, it welcomed me in the upper window, but would not accept my post. I finally, after closing out again and re-entering, got it to go.

What gives?

That is most likely an issue with your computer(not in a bad way), however it is normal for this to happen if you don't visit a site for a long time. Essentially every website that you visit leaves a small file(its called a cache file) on your computer and if you have an account with said website and you don't visit a long time the cache file expires and you do need to log out then log back in. So that you can once again post, sometimes you need to repeat this process. Or you could clear your cache but usually logging out then back in takes care of the issue.

So i guess what i am saying is that this is normal and happens on every site as a standard protocol it also help with internet security. Its the same idea with email except with e-mail the file expires every couple of hours to every couple of weeks(if you select the keep me signed in option which i do not recommend). And is not a problem with the site itself or your computer its just the way things work.

WestrnBushcrft
01-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I'd take it up with one of the mods or KOA or Faol

+1 on that.

Bushwacker73
01-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Looks like the cat shat in someones cornflakes.:39:

Jennifer
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
KevinTheWise is.... wise.

Thats perfectly normal. I would say though that its not just the cache file thats at issue but the lifespan of the cookie you have. Cookies are teeny tiny bits of software. One a web forum they store your user name and password for you. As Kevin said, they do expire as part of their security features. When you log in next time your browser downloads another one for you automagically.

In cases where your cache file and your cookies are in conflict with what youre trying to do on the internet, it can be frustrating. But really, its a small thing. Log out, log in. Sometimes you need to repeat that process but you shouldnt have to do it too often.

Lodging a complaint with a site owner over cookie life wont do you much good as they dont always have control over their lifespan AND having them time out is for your protection. If it is the cache at issue, thats 100% a factor of YOUR computer settings. They have user adjustable timeouts on the cache. You COULD set your cache to never expire but that would quickly start eating up hard drive and memory as the system tries to keep track of it all.

GreyOne
01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Question asked and answered. Any further questions, PM a Mod or Administrator.

Closed.