PDA

View Full Version : Member age?

tennecedar
01-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Has it been considered to make the age of our membership mandatorily displayed? I love that we have young members but more than a few times I've had a minor want to do a knife swap or ask about firearms info. In the litigation happy world we live in it might be worth it to cover any future liability. At least if someone lies about their age a parent can't say we knew were talking to a youngster about guns or sending them something in the mail.

A recent thread was shut down because a minor was asking where to get a cheap handgun. That's a recipe for disaster if a mom checks to see what Jr is up to on the interwebs. The forum is an LLC and (probably) has insurance against civil cases but that wouldn't stop a litigator from naming individuals in a lawsuit.

maybe I'm just paranoid....

:30::30::30:

GreyOne
01-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Downside to that might be the exposing of minors to those with a predatory interest. And, yes, with 14,000+ members, we probably have some of those.

trentu
01-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Maybe instead of displaying age the username could be a special color? Just a thought.

saxon
01-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Has it been considered to make the age of our membership mandatorily displayed? I love that we have young members but more than a few times I've had a minor want to do a knife swap or ask about firearms info. In the litigation happy world we live in it might be worth it to cover any future liability. At least if someone lies about their age a parent can't say we knew were talking to a youngster about guns or sending them something in the mail.

Downside to that might be the exposing of minors to those with a predatory interest.

Both good points. Ive always kind of felt it should be 18 and over to post. That way young people could join, read, learn, and use the search. You can find the answer to almost any bushcraft question using the search.
I know some will take exception to this but I was raised that children should be seen and not heard. Its still a pretty good idea.

SkogKniv
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
We want to have a place where even the younger guys can come and learn something. Obviously that comes with some potential problems.

The owners are attempting to work out a software solution to benefit everyone.

Hold fast.

RangerJoe
01-16-2012, 09:41 AM
We want to have a place where even the younger guys can come and learn something. Obviously that comes with some potential problems.

The owners are attempting to work out a software solution to benefit everyone.
Hold fast.

always on the ball

PMSteve
01-16-2012, 03:43 PM

A recent thread was shut down because a minor was asking where to get a cheap handgun. That's a recipe for disaster if a mom checks to see what Jr is up to on the interwebs. The forum is an LLC and (probably) has insurance against civil cases but that wouldn't stop a litigator from naming individuals in a lawsuit.

One of he problems with doing all this online is that there is no easy way to verify the age of the member. A person is who he or she says they are. If a young person claims to be 22, how do you verify that without the transfer of paperwork? I'm sure there must be a way but I don't see how.

highlife
01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I think it'd be cool to display age, not only to verify "non-minors," but to be able to gauge someone's "wisdom," as they say. Sometimes I like knowing that a story I read is from a guy who's 75 years old and has been through some stuff, rather than some young punk like me (25), who may or may not have any time invested at all! Just my thought.

Peacelovingirl
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I think Greyone is right (and wise) .... we don't want to open any minors up to predators, that would be worse.... If there is any question about trading a knife or gun to a minor... I am sure you can PM Faol or Koa and they could verify that you are not trading with a minor.

flaviln
01-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Guys I"m 63 and still read and learn from younger folks.Some are sharp as a tack,some are dumb as a rock.
Guess I"l have to sell/trade after direct contact with each individual,to stay legal.

flaviln

One Legged Josh
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I am sure you can PM Faol or Koa and they could verify that you are not trading with a minor.

That would in essence make Koa and Foal liable. Not a good idea.

Peacelovingirl
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
That would in essence make Koa and Foal liable. Not a good idea.
.I just thought that two seconds before I saw your post.... they can lie when making their account cant they? I just thought of that...

Peacelovingirl
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
I guess it would be wise to save a PM where you say something like "before we trade I need to know... are you a minor?" That might help save your bumm... I don't know

Big'n
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Another board I frequent has a "Youth" tag that appears under their screen name. Not sure how they verify that but could be worth looking into.

bush guy
01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
this change could be good and bad , good bc like yall have said kids getting guns could be stopped , and bad bc of predators and also bc youngsters u know 14 and up wanting to learn this skill wouldnt be able to do it, so thats a downside

wildernut
01-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Maybe you are, but are you paranoid enough? :45:

donk
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I think Greyone is right (and wise) .... we don't want to open any minors up to predators, that would be worse.... If there is any question about trading a knife or gun to a minor... I am sure you can PM Faol or Koa and they could verify that you are not trading with a minor.

I think Faol and Koa are fairly busy already.

brionic
01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Why would age be relevant? Someone is either mature enough for a balanced discussion or not, bushcraft experience notwithstanding.

The immature person stands out immediately, regardless of his age, and isn't a someone with whom I will trade.

Peacelovingirl
01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Why would age be relevant? Someone is either mature enough for a balanced discussion or not, bushcraft experience notwithstanding.

The immature person stands out immediately, regardless of his age, and isn't a someone with whom I will trade.
It is illegal to sell or trade a knife or gun to a minor in most states... I don't think its a issue about it being right or wrong to trade with minors... Its more about liabilty and legal issues.:40:

layton13069
01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
My standard on the whole age thing is.... 1. I don't trade period, have done it before, but I had money back then and it was a belt. 2. I don't flirt with people online, I know that there are predators out there, I'm not going to be victimized by them or be labeled as one. 3. I stick to the topics that I reply to in posts, private messages are left to say things about a post that I feel would not be related to well if I posted them where everyone can see them, or to talk to my Dad who is also a forum member. 4. Everyone deserves a fair level of respect from all members in this forum, no matter their age. Last but not least.. I'm a stingy ole b$tch and I don't share nothing with nobody! ha! j'k...I'm actually quite generous when I wanna be!

Kendo
01-16-2012, 07:54 PM
No easier answer to this question. In many ways you have to trust the person you are dealing with to be honest.

Seeker
01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
maybe I'm just paranoid...

just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean "they" aren't out to get you...

seriously, i'd kinda like an age indicator... i know who many of our younger posters are. but when it comes to knives, guns, and fire, we unfortunately live in the age in which we do, and as pointed out, litigation is always a threat and must be faced with action, not hope and pleasant feelings...

hunter63
01-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I agree that it would be helpful in cases like gun and knives even sale sites have a age disclaimer that has to be signed.

But once the internet becomes regulated, and I sure there are lots of people that would love to see that happen.....slippery slope.

I just don't deal with people I don't know.
I sure a lot of vendors here think differently.

Tough question.

Quill
01-16-2012, 09:43 PM
I am old enough to know better but still to young to care.
How about a picture of each person. I haven't been 21 for 29 years and I look it.

WestrnBushcrft
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Downside to that might be the exposing of minors to those with a predatory interest. And, yes, with 14,000+ members, we probably have some of those.

Yeah thats kind of a good point... I honestly dont think it matters what age people are because we all are here to learn and be together, also some people might put down others just because of their age (Not saying it will but it could happen)...

WestrnBushcrft
01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
How about a picture of each person. I haven't been 21 for 29 years and I look it.

The picture thing would not be such a good idea because some people don't want to show their identity on a public website.

And some people just have a face for radio LOL (me)

Brother Bear
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I usually have my age listed whenever possible, as a minor I feel as if it is my responsibility to stay within the laws set for me until I am no longer such. I do not want others to have to play parent and make sure I am doing the right thing. That being said I have traded before through the internet, one of the times the trade involved knives and a crossbow. The way we handled this ( within the law) was to have my parents contact the individual and confirm that they allowed me to do such, and send a signed letter before their end of the trade would be shipped. I liked how that entire transaction took place, but that's just me and YYMV.

survivorwoman
01-16-2012, 11:01 PM
42 but my Dad is a retired Everett WA policeman

Peacelovingirl
01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
I have seen teens that look older then me and I look like a teen... sometime you cant tell.... I know a 50 year old woman that looks 30

pfspinelli
01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Just my two cents but you could request that the person you are dealing with to provide proof of age, IE drivers license something like that in a PM before you dirty your hands by trading, it should not be a huge issue... and if they provide false ID you are not liable since they committed fraud.

brionic
01-17-2012, 12:38 AM
It is illegal to sell or trade a knife or gun to a minor in most states... I don't think its a issue about it being right or wrong to trade with minors... Its more about liabilty and legal issues.:40:

Firearm sales are moot; they aren't permitted here, and even if they were, they require transfer by federally licensed dealers or collectors :)

Doc44
01-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Personally i am 24(yall make me feel awful young on here lol) But i do think that there should be a way to know when someone is a minor. I know my ma checked my internet doings up until i was eighteen(still got crap about not visiting "certain" sites after i was eighteen lol) so some way to verify that there claims were legit would be awesome. The good lord knows i wouldnt want to accidently send a knife to a minor.

mischief
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Personally i am 24(yall make me feel awful young on here lol) But i do think that there should be a way to know when someone is a minor. I know my ma checked my internet doings up until i was eighteen(still got crap about not visiting "certain" sites after i was eighteen lol) so some way to verify that there claims were legit would be awesome. The good lord knows i wouldnt want to accidently send a knife to a minor.

Yes, You are awful young,however,nothing wrong with that. Even the Mods were awful young once..........or was it just awful. I'm sure they will let us know.

Old Philosopher
01-17-2012, 11:25 PM
I think it'd be cool to display age, not only to verify "non-minors," but to be able to gauge someone's "wisdom," as they say. Sometimes I like knowing that a story I read is from a guy who's 75 years old and has been through some stuff, rather than some young punk like me (25), who may or may not have any time invested at all! Just my thought.
Age prejudice can work both ways. Just sayin'.....

There is an option to display your age in your profile. It doesn't have to be flagged in every post. I encourage everyone who is in favor of others knowing their age to show it in their profile. Others can elect to remain "mysterious", for whatever reason. But those who are self-conscious about their age usually don't provide any Bio, anyway.

econnofoot
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
age verification isn't that hard to do I've set it up on other sites.....problem is it's also easy enough to fake, even if make it a pay site. Personally I'd say if you are that worried about it don't give away knives and advice on firearms. Should limit your liability, and the sites.

IdahoSpud
01-18-2012, 01:45 AM
You could probably just make a blanket policy that no one under 18 may join without parental consent, they could still lie about it but at least you have given the warning. Then to curb predatory persons you could tag the individual as parental monitoring or some such thing to let them know that parents are monitoring the posts and PM's. That I think would place all the liability on the parents and minor. Just a thought.

MissouriMapper
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Firearm sales are moot; they aren't permitted here, and even if they were, they require transfer by federally licensed dealers or collectors :)

Individuals may sell firearms directly to other individuals in the same state without going through a federally licensed dealer. It is only when an individual sells to an individual in another state that the transfer has to occur through a federally licensed dealer.

Galthoas
05-17-2012, 11:12 PM
It is unfortunate in this day and age that we are even in a position that we have to worry about minors, predators and the like on a website dedicated to giving out wisdom to others. That said, we are the best hope of protecting not only other forum members but ourselves as well. If you feel something with one of the members is wrong then do something about it. I would rather be wrong and apologize for it and be a fool for a while then let something happen because I ignored it and feel like a fool for the rest of my life.

evilunclegrimace
05-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Individuals may sell firearms directly to other individuals in the same state without going through a federally licensed dealer. It is only when an individual sells to an individual in another state that the transfer has to occur through a federally licensed dealer.

If it is a handgun I'm pretty sure that it still has to have paper work filled out at a FFL. No such rule for long guns that I am aware of.

Galthoas
05-24-2012, 11:05 AM

I'm only 34 so your not that bad off. Just remember like I do, treat your elders with respect learn what you can from them and try to pass it on to the next generation.

jkfisher84
05-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Wow, Grey Ones #2 post made it kinda scary to go to any meet ups! No offense Grey!

captainamer
05-25-2012, 02:20 AM
I have a idea. Make the buy/sell/trade forum require verified ID. If you cant verify who you are you cant access it? That way no one is left out or possibly put in harms way.
Just a suggestion. I have learned alot on here and hope it stays open to all

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

GreyOne
05-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Wow, Grey Ones #2 post made it kinda scary to go to any meet ups! No offense Grey!

Online pedophiles will seldom show up any place where adults are present in numbers. They do look for easily identified minors to contact, and that is why we do not really want to label the younger members for easy pickings, IMHO.

The primary concern is knife giveaways and sales. Firearms sales, while legal between individuals in the same state, are almost always going to be completed face to face. Knives , for this forum, are a common tool, and are often transferred. There is NO way to guarantee that someone is of legal age when using online information. It is simply impossible to detect false age claims.

As far as going to meets, there are few places that could be safer. :)
With a number of members present, there are a lot of people who are mostly known to each other and are looking out for other members, so a predator would be rather foolish trying to cruise there in person. JMHO.