PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a 12 ga to 9mm rifled conversion?

tanman2003
02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Thoughts?
http://www.gunadapters.com/product_images/a/756/IMAG0643__23083_zoom.jpg
http://www.gunadapters.com/12-guage-to-9mm-extended-length-rifled-adapter/

The New Pathfinder 12GA to 9MM Rifled Adapter - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0Ae6cs5m4)

tennecedar
02-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a couple of these. The standard version is 10" but 18" lengths are available in many calibers.

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Dano
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I gotta admit, I was surprised it grouped so well...interesting

hunter63
02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Why not...... I have a .410 adaptor for the .20 ga...why?....because it was a good deal at a gun show.

Havene been looking at one for the Nagants to shoot .32 cal ammo out of.

Bushmonkey85
02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
I have never even heard of this!! But now that I have... it's on my wish list!!! Way too cool and like Dave said, multipurpose wins in my book!

Lichen
02-01-2012, 04:47 PM
So I'm wondering could I use 2 adapters in my O/U shotgun?
I'm also finding it ironic that a guy who is banned from this sight keeps showing up here anyway.

scottman
02-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I do not have any from Ray Banister.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396663_337677906263712_100000645178491_1115030_104 1263049_n.jpg

hunter63
02-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I do not have any from Ray Banister.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396663_337677906263712_100000645178491_1115030_104 1263049_n.jpg

Now that is what I call an "all around pack gun"....Thanks for posting.

Falstaff
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
What shotgun is that? I don't recognize it. Nice collection of adapters though.

cheap'n'squeaky
02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
My thoughts? This is the snoopin’ and poopin’ Chicken Little novelty gear that the industry’s spawned over the past four years in order to prey on people’s fears. I just want to know where to attach my bayonet and mini flashlight.

While watching youtube videos on gear like this, the entire premise that I’ve taken away from these single shot conversion adapters has been, “If you buy this and stuff falls apart, you’ve vastly increased the effectiveness of your firearm because you can now shoot several calibers…” I could well be wrong, but that’s what I’ve taken away. Well yea Mr. Survivalist, if I can find the ammo, I can also find a firearm that shoots it too in the scenario that he’s talking about.

It’s like the match heads for powder video. Yea it works, but my question is where are the supplies of #209 primers coming from? Moreover, some of these guys are making some decent coin by pumping out videos, so they’re going to sell their soul to make a dime on trendy junk that the masses are lapping up like dogs. Furthermore, some of the better known youtube personalities are putting out things of this nature and are creating trends. Pointless trends I might add. For example, the single shot that this is for used to be cheap. Not too many years ago, I used to see rusted examples for 10 – 20 bucks at yard/garage sales. Before the mania, pristine examples could be purchased at those same sales for 40 dollars. Now beat up rusted single shots are going for 80 and up! That’s ridiculous when one considers that they’re not much more new! Had it not been for several well known names putting out the single shot 12 gauge videos, nobody in the world would want one with exception of the extremely frugal. Now they’re not only all the rage, but we also have adaptor kits for them… Additionally, the real gun industry has been pushing tactical single shots and double barrels because they see the potential market… Don’t buy into the fascism of the industry. It’s only point is to make maximum profit, and it will create needs where none would normally exist.

It’s a novelty item. I’m sure it works as intended, but for 100 dollars w/shipping, that’s a significant investment in saving up for a firearm specifically chambered for whatever caliber one’s looking for. Additionally, with all the conversion kits, it significantly increases the need to pack heavy steel gear for a firearm that’s supposed to be light and handy.

Those are my thoughts. Cheers,
C&S

cloudraker
02-01-2012, 07:27 PM
In the late 80's bought a couple of a the ace 32 auto inserts for 308 - they work great. I also have a set of savage 410ers for 12 gauge - also great. It can get a little ridiculous with ammo when hunting, but it greatly opens up possibilities. I've taken a lot of grouse with the 32's. I use the 410 mainly when dog training, saves me from buying another gun (well not really, but that's what I tell SWMBO).

A subcal out of shotguns have been used in Europe for a long time, especially with the combo guns. It's not a fad there, it's just underitilized here IMO.
A 9mm out of a shotgun is great if you have a sidearm in that caliber. I would personally prefer a rimfire in 22 or 17.

kylewayne
02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
While I have never used the shotgun to pistol round adaptor i have used a 32auto adaptor in my 303 british and for about the first 10-15 shots were fairly accurate. I then procceded to shoot some more and the last 2 inches of my barrel blew off the gun. I havent been brave enough to try any adaptors since.

jackpine
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
My thoughts? This is the snoopin’ and poopin’ Chicken Little novelty gear that the industry’s spawned over the past four years in order to prey on people’s fears. I just want to know where to attach my bayonet and mini flashlight.

While watching youtube videos on gear like this, the entire premise that I’ve taken away from these single shot conversion adapters has been, “If you buy this and stuff falls apart, you’ve vastly increased the effectiveness of your firearm because you can now shoot several calibers…” I could well be wrong, but that’s what I’ve taken away. Well yea Mr. Survivalist, if I can find the ammo, I can also find a firearm that shoots it too in the scenario that he’s talking about.

It’s like the match heads for powder video. Yea it works, but my question is where are the supplies of #209 primers coming from? Moreover, some of these guys are making some decent coin by pumping out videos, so they’re going to sell their soul to make a dime on trendy junk that the masses are lapping up like dogs. Furthermore, some of the better known youtube personalities are putting out things of this nature and are creating trends. Pointless trends I might add. For example, the single shot that this is for used to be cheap. Not too many years ago, I used to see rusted examples for 10 – 20 bucks at yard/garage sales. Before the mania, pristine examples could be purchased at those same sales for 40 dollars. Now beat up rusted single shots are going for 80 and up! That’s ridiculous when one considers that they’re not much more new! Had it not been for several well known names putting out the single shot 12 gauge videos, nobody in the world would want one with exception of the extremely frugal. Now they’re not only all the rage, but we also have adaptor kits for them… Additionally, the real gun industry has been pushing tactical single shots and double barrels because they see the potential market… Don’t buy into the fascism of the industry. It’s only point is to make maximum profit, and it will create needs where none would normally exist.

It’s a novelty item. I’m sure it works as intended, but for 100 dollars w/shipping, that’s a significant investment in saving up for a firearm specifically chambered for whatever caliber one’s looking for. Additionally, with all the conversion kits, it significantly increases the need to pack heavy steel gear for a firearm that’s supposed to be light and handy.

C&S

Could not disagree more. Have some faith in other people please

jackpine
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
at some point I'll be getting a few adapters for my savge 24 22lr/20 ga

Taliesin
02-01-2012, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't mind having a 30-30 barrel for my 20ga. Wonder if they work in a Rossi? Thanks for the link Tenncedar.

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 02:43 AM
I'll consider getting one in .22lr, but not 9mm.

Broadsword22
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I love the idea and will be buying adapters for my new Savage 24 in .22/20ga.
Broadsword

madmax
02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
I am totally ignorant on these. Why wouldn't you just get a firearm in that caliber? Seems like an unnecessary compromise.

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I am totally ignorant on these. Why wouldn't you just get a firearm in that caliber? Seems like an unnecessary compromise.

Because they give you the ability to fire two(or more) different calibers out of one gun. Its not a compromise at all.

Hawkcreek
02-02-2012, 10:03 AM

+1

Wouldn't something like a T/C platform with various barrels be more accurate and possibly safe since you know that barrel is rated for the pressure of that round? I understand there would be a weight and space savings in favor of a chamber insert but in reality how much weight are you really saving? Also I understand these are cheaper than a new barrel for a switch barrel gun but I don't figure in cost when it comes to guns. Either I can afford it or I can not much like the other nice to have things in my life.

Bushmonkey85
02-02-2012, 10:04 AM

I'm not familiar with them at all either, but it sure would save me a lot of money over buying a completely separate firearm. For example, I EDC a 9mm. I also like to pack my 20ga single shot in the woods. If I get a 20ga to 22lr conversion for $80, I can carry my 9mm, 20ga, AND now a 22lr all without adding too much weight, or adding a completely separate long gun, and for much less than the cost of a new rifle.

Again, I've never seen them before now so I don't have any experience with them. But I can see some utility for them in certain situations.

madmax
02-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Because they give you the ability to fire two(or more) different calibers out of one gun. Its not a compromise at all.

Is the weight difference while packing, or the "familiarity" with the firearm shouldered the main point?

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Is the weight difference while packing, or the "familiarity" with the firearm shouldered the main point?

I'd say that the weight difference between one adapter and a second gun is a major factor.

Personally, I grew up using an over and under. 410/.22 but they carry a premium price now that no one makes them anymore. But with these adapters, I can carry my single shot. 410 and be able to shoot 22lr from it as well. Why carry two guns when you don't need to?

IA Woodsman
02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I really don't understand the allure of shooting a 9mm out of a shotgun. Slugs or buckshot will kill just about anything. I guess if you are doing it for fun that is great. But I would rather shoot shot out of my shotgun and 9mm from my Hipoint Carbine. Believe me I understand the whole multi use idea. But, if you are trying to increase your surviability practice your skills like marksmanship,foraging, and identifying game sign. Just my opinion.

madmax
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I really don't understand the allure of shooting a 9mm out of a shotgun. Slugs or buckshot will kill just about anything. I guess if you are doing it for fun that is great. But I would rather shoot shot out of my shotgun and 9mm from my Hipoint Carbine. Believe me I understand the whole multi use idea. But, if you are trying to increase your surviability practice your skills like marksmanship,foraging, and identifying game sign. Just my opinion.
9mm Highpoint carbine. Why do I love that ugly SOB? LOL

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Yeaah. It is an odd combination.

Falstaff
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I could see getting adapters for calibers you already have so as to be able to cross share ammo if needed. But the manufacturer even states these are not replacements for the actual rifle or pistol and that, at least in the shorter 3in adapters, the accuracy is not good past 25 yards. I'm sure it is much better for the 18in models.

I do know that even browning made similar adapters all the way back to the 1950s. So while they haven't really caught on, they have been around for awhile.

IA Woodsman
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
9mm Highpoint carbine. Why do I love that ugly SOB? LOL

They are ugly as sin. But, I love mine. Very fun to shoot. I got mine for 190 or so. The mags are a little spendy, but what isn't these days. I have run about 500 rounds through mine and never had a FTF or jamb.

madmax
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
They are ugly as sin. But, I love mine. Very fun to shoot. I got mine for 190 or so. The mags are a little spendy, but what isn't these days. I have run about 500 rounds through mine and never had a FTF or jamb.

I'm lookin' for another one. Hater's go ahead and hate. :)

Adam
02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Caliber conversions and the ability to cast bullets in the field and so on have been out there for a long time but have sparked interest again lately.

All of this “one firearm option” crap makes me want to knife myself. Folks, life is short. Buy guns, shoot them, buy ammo, store extra, have some fun. Stop worrying about being able to melt down wheel weights you found in the gutter to shoot out of your single shot shotgun or always having a one tool option. If you want to buy conversions to shoot .218 Bee out of your H&R 10 Ga, please do so without hesitation. I will spend my $300 worth of 12 Ga conversion money on buying ammo and ringing steel with it. If I find some extra wheel weights, I will send them your way though. Are conversions “neat”? Yes, I think so. Would I ever buy one over buying a gun in that caliber? No. YMMV.

Lerch
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Yep, those are handy and fun guns. I looked at them myself but splurged and got the keltec carbine instead. Primarily because it shares mags with my glock. The fact that it folds is an additional plus.

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM
What's this about wheel weights?

madmax
02-02-2012, 11:00 AM
What's this about wheel weights?

SHTF collecting lead for casting bullets. Whatever.

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 11:03 AM
SHTF collecting lead for casting bullets. Whatever.

The survival types? Pffft.

Rescue2
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
The Hi-Point carbine is ugly as sin. I spray painted mine and it's still ugly as sin. The laser it came with is junk, but the gun is a blast to shoot and accurate too. Much cheaper to shoot than .223.

makobytes
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I recently purchased a beautiful savage m-24 in .22/20 gauge. So it is already very versatile. However, an adapter for the 20 gauge for either 9mm or .38 cal. would really add some extra versatility right in between the 2 calibres.

GreyOne
02-02-2012, 12:37 PM
World is full of gimmicks, and snake oil salesmen peddling said gimmicks.

Since we are NOT discussing SHTF scenarios here- right ?!- the practical aspects of such adapters in the field is our topic.

For the size and weight of a 9mm adapter, I can carry a pocket size 9mm pistol with very little extra effort. If I am carrying the ammo, that is a wash.

The pistol comes with sights, and at least a 7 round magazine capacity. And it leaves my shotgun loaded with real shotgun ammo.

The adapter IS cheaper, if you are satisfied with a non sighted single shot pistol round as your only option when using it.

Think my choice is clear. YMMV.

Ahnkochee
02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Dave C. in video states that he would not hesitate to shoot a hog or a deer using 9mm and this adapter. I have been hunting for over 40 years, and could not disagree more, the 9mm is not big game round and especially coming out of a sightless shotgun barrel even less accurate than a pistol. I think it irresponsible to suggest the 9mm for big game. Maybe rabbits in a survival situation but not deer or hog.

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
I just want to be clear here. I am not a shtf type, a "prepper",survivalist, wheel weight melter or anything like that. I just think its handy and convenient to be able to shoot 22lr out of a 410. 9mm out of a single shot 12 gauge? Not so much.

hunter63
02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I just want to be clear here. I am not a shtf type, a "prepper",survivalist, wheel weight melter or anything like that. I just think its handy and convenient to be able to shoot 22lr out of a 410. 9mm out of a single shot 12 gauge? Not so much.

LOL, y'all are making us "wheel weight guys" feel bad.........I don't really care send them my way.

When I bought the adaptor for converting the 20 ga to .410, I really don't know what I was thinking, except...."hey that's cool, heard about them and never had one"....Good deal so I bought Will I ever use it to shoot something, most likely not....but hey, I got it.

As far a adaptors go, I don't think the point of this thread was to discuss the 9mm as a game load, but more to discuss the use of adaptors in general, (you fill in your favorite magic load)....

I think they are a cool idea to play with....But the right tool for the right job, comprise means least of both worlds, IMHO.

Adam
02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Maybe rabbits in a survival situation but not deer or hog.

There's the big part. If we want to go apey and talk a full "survival" situation where you are at a point where if you don't eat something you aren't going to be able to function to help yourself to be rescued or walk out, your definition of "irresponsible" would be much different. I'm not deer hunting with a 9mm next season, but if I was doing it to avoid certain death, I'd take a shot with anything I had and so would you.

We're getting a little off base here, but I think instead of that conversion, I'd carry 5 good slugs.

I don't want it to seem like I was directing anything at you, I wasn't. I agree, it is "neat" and "handy" within the limitations of the conversion in accuracy, etc.

karlhungusjr
02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
There's the big part. If we want to go apey and talk a full "survival" situation where you are at a point where if you don't eat something you aren't going to be able to function to help yourself to be rescued or walk out, your definition of "irresponsible" would be much different. I'm not deer hunting with a 9mm next season, but if I was doing it to avoid certain death, I'd take a shot with anything I had and so would you.

We're getting a little off base here, but I think instead of that conversion, I'd carry 5 good slugs.

I don't want it to seem like I was directing anything at you, I wasn't. I agree, it is "neat" and "handy" within the limitations of the conversion in accuracy, etc.

No. No. I didn't take it that way at all. I just know I'm the n00b here and that first impressions last a very long time, so I wanted to make sure that was known. That's all.

Ahnkochee
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Amen, we are not survivalists here we are bushcrafters, we talk bushcraft. Why shoot ineffective 9mm at big game when even buckshot would be a better choice. Dave C. states he would not hesitate to shoot deer or hogs with a 9mm without mentioning the situation thus implying that it as a viable cartridge for the purpose. That is irresponsible. How many people look up to him as some sort of outdoorsman god, and would take what he says as gospel? Too many.
In a survival situation I would attack a wild hog with a sharpened stick. That's irrelevant, we or he was not talking about a survival situation, he was talking about an option in hunting. I have and killed pigs with a 22 but I would never suggest it on YouTube as a viable option in hunting armament for big game especially when not even mentioning it in a survival context.

makobytes
02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I just got back from walmart, and picked up some 20 gauge slugs. Those suckers cost $1 a piece. I can buy and shoot alot more 9mm or .38 cal. rnds for the same money. Plus for the size and wieght, I could carry alot more ammo, in place of 20 gauge slugs. Although a few slugs would still be along on a hike/camp, for the choice of foraging larger game. Versatility is the name of the game. Now your gun is a multipurpose tool.

Ahnkochee
02-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I just got back from walmart, and picked up some 20 gauge slugs. Those suckers cost $1 a piece. I can buy and shoot alot more 9mm or .38 cal. rnds for the same money. Plus for the size and wieght, I could carry alot more ammo, in place of 20 gauge slugs. Although a few slugs would still be along on a hike/camp, for the choice of foraging larger game. Versatility is the name of the game. Now your gun is a multipurpose tool.

I would not recommend 9mm (Parabellum) for big game. It is illegal to hunt big game with in many states because it lacks adequate energy to take game cleanly & humanely. .357 magnum or 44 magnum would be a better choice for big game in a adapter if you chose to go that route. Even then it would lack accuracy without decent rifle sights which most shotguns lack.

tanman2003
02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm not looking to use this to replace any of my guns, more of just something to screw around with. SHTF scenario didn't even cross my mind. And if it did I have several other guns that would be more ideal.

As to those talking about the highpoint carbines. I have a Keltec sub 2000 in 9mm that shoots glock mags. It is very affordable, very well made, very accurate, uses factory glock mags (even 33rounders) and it folds in half. Something for thought instead of looking for a highpoint.

Keltec says that a 9mm out of a carbine length barrel has the power of a .357 mag out of a pistol. It also says that the 9mm has more power 300 yrds away than a .380 auto point blank out of a pistol.

Clydesdale
02-02-2012, 08:10 PM
LOL, y'all are making us "wheel weight guys" feel bad.........I don't really care send them my way.

That's funny.:D

BTW, alot of these adaptors are around $20. Basically pocket change. You want to try one out, I think no big deal- give it a whirl.

mortblanc
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM

C&S

At least we know where the name comes from!

What if we just want one? Or do we need to ask permission first?

Taliesin
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Pistol barrels don't interest me at all, neither does a single shot shotgun in a shtf situation. That's what I got other firearms for. However a rifle round that could be shot out from my single shot Rossi would interest me. I've often thought about buying one of the single shot combo setups, but why spend $250 to $300 when all have in my shotgun is 4 boxes of surplus .45 ACP (what I traded for it) and then $150 for a insert. Seems to me that's a pretty good deal! Also the price of 20 20ga slug is way more than for the equal number of 30/30 rounds.

A K Church
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Was gifted a Marble's "auxiliary cartridge" in .32 Short Colt/.30WCF. Accurate enough past 25 yards, despite running about a .298 bullet down a .308 bore. And .32SC is fiendishly scarce...

I have some concerns vis-a-vis the ones I see for stuff like .357 or 9m/m with modern +P. I wonder what it would do long term stuffed in some 1920s Iver Johnson with an iron frame? Specifically that pressure against the breech face, and that primer against a sloppy fitting firing pin with no bushing?

Not aware anything's ever let go on such a gun with a cartridge adapter. But sure would like some feedback from someone who has tested the proposition.

Yellow Lab
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM

+11111111

My son and I looked at the video and we each looked at each other and said - why not shoot slugs?

As for which shotgun to have rather than a single shot - Remington 870 with 20" barrel with chokes and adjustable sights. You can get a nice extended rifled choke and shoot slugs. Buck shot and bird shot can also be carried - pretty much covers it all AND you have up to 5 shots.

(The pic I posted from the Remington site has a 20in rifled barrel and a 26 in smoothbore barrel.)

I may not be a real smart guy but I do know some math - 5 is more than 1....:rolleyes:

Taliesin
02-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh sure there are other shotguns to carry, but there is a certain simplicity about a single shot shotgun that I love. Same for single shot rifles and bolt action 30/30s, which is what I want next. There's also something about being a bit different than the average Tom, Dick or Harry with his pump action or auto, that appeals to me too. :) This is just a cheaper way to have a different caliber.

Falstaff
02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
right now the only one I am considering is the 20g to 22 adapter. I've hunted rabbits where I've wounded it with the 20g and needed another shot to deliver the killing coup de grace. A 22 would be ideal for this as I don't carry or own, for that matter, a pistol. It would be overkill to do this with another shot shell.

Trekon86
02-02-2012, 10:56 PM
I may get one in both .22 and 9mm if they were charging less per adapter.

But they are so damnably expensive, who'd want to buy two?

PMZ

akbound
02-02-2012, 11:23 PM
right now the only one I am considering is the 20g to 22 adapter. I've hunted rabbits where I've wounded it with the 20g and needed another shot to deliver the killing coup de grace. A 22 would be ideal for this as I don't carry or own, for that matter, a pistol. It would be overkill to do this with another shot shell.
I'm not trying to sound morbid or be contraire but I've always thought (and used) a quick rap (with stout stick) on the base of the back of the head for such things on wounded rabbit sized game. It's quick, efficient, inexpensive, and humane when applied properly.

Now on deer and larger sized game I agree a handy .22LR (or other sufficient) sub-caliber is just as efficient, and much "neater" (i.e. less messy) than either a shotshell or rifle sized caliber hunting arm.

whiteoak
02-03-2012, 12:21 AM
OK OK the I'm not going to get any adapters either, but lets not start knocking bullet casting too.... If you have any extra lead laying around send it this way. I dont count ammo on the shelf. I count gallon containers of it on the shelf an that because I cast, and load...

Dirtymike
02-03-2012, 12:45 AM
I dont get it at all. At 22 yards a shot gun does the job. I see no need for an adapter for a shotgun except for its "cool". That is the glory of a shot gun. You have a large variety of ammo to use. Small game, light shot better chance of hitting your target. Med game larger shot, still better chance at hitting your target, Large game ooo buck, or slugs, extends your range larger target better chances at recovering you game. This is just another chunk of steel to carry with you and foul up and have to deal with it. If you can find 9mm you can find 12 g. Ammo is also way cheaper. Just dont get it besides the "its cool, i can even do this" But that is JMO. To each your own and I dont judge you folks that like it for liking it. For me I just dont get it.

CastLug
02-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Auxiliary barrels are common in continental Europe, some are advanced and can be adjusted for grouping. Some are full length some shorter. Calibers are usually .22 Hornet and WMR for the shorter ones (13'' or so), and ordinary high power calibers for the full length ones. However simple "reducing cartridges" are also sold, normally used for dispatching game in traps or previously shot game that your dog has tracked for u. A bullet is safer to shoot than a shot load when dogs are around. These are all good ideas, but u must consider that even handgun ammo can produce some serious pressure levels, and the firing pin should be bushed, so eventual gas leak wont escape into the action and blow the stock up.

Falstaff
02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm not trying to sound morbid or be contraire but I've always thought (and used) a quick rap (with stout stick) on the base of the back of the head for such things on wounded rabbit sized game. It's quick, efficient, inexpensive, and humane when applied properly.

Now on deer and larger sized game I agree a handy .22LR (or other sufficient) sub-caliber is just as efficient, and much "neater" (i.e. less messy) than either a shotshell or rifle sized caliber hunting arm.

If you note, I live in the desert and sticks can be hard to come by, And I do not hit things with my shotgun or rifle, barrel or stock. Though I guess a small fishing baton might be handy to carry...or grab a rock. We got lots of those lying around.

akbound
02-03-2012, 10:50 AM
If you note, I live in the desert and sticks can be hard to come by, And I do not hit things with my shotgun or rifle, barrel or stock. Though I guess a small fishing baton might be handy to carry...or grab a rock. We got lots of those lying around.

That is certainly understandable as I wouldn't use any of my guns as a club either. And if I had to carry a fish baton I doubt that I would want to because of its weight and bulk. Where I hunt there is nearly always sticks of some sort near at hand wherever one looks, which makes this method quite handy.

Plus, I realize that more than a few people would object to administering the coup de grace with any type of a blow to the head simply because it would be disturbing to some sensibilities. In which case a .22LR is about as simple as it would get. Though I would never consider being unnecessarily cruel towards an animal we grew up raising and butchering stock for the table And depending upon the species and circumstances the initial "stunning blow" could be delivered via different means.

Dirtymike
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM

What about using one of those sharp pieces of steel we carry with us all the time?:18: And I quote the Queen of hearts "Off with their heads!"

hunter63
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Don't shoot big fish in the bottom of the boat...........

CoryD
02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Don't shoot big fish in the bottom of the boat...........

Thats why the DNR used to frown on loaded firearms in boats when folks were out musky fishing. Many-a-boat got 22 to 45 caliber holes put in it(and likely sent to the bottom) lol

PeterCartwright
02-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Just looked through this thread after passing on it for a while. It's interesting. Seems to me I'd be better off starting with the appropriate receiver and simply adding the barrels I wanted. NEF barrels are about the same price as these inserts. Then again, if I have... say a 20 ga. with birdshot and slugs, aren't I already set up to take large or small game?

PC

hunter63
02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Rifle barrels now $95 bucks...shot gun barrels $55 bucks...

Falstaff
02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Thats why the DNR used to frown on loaded firearms in boats when folks were out musky fishing. Many-a-boat got 22 to 45 caliber holes put in it(and likely sent to the bottom) lol

Now that's just too funny,,,and sad at the same time.

jackpine
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
O.K. heres were I have seen an application for adapters based on my own expierence. Back when I was younger I was broke all the time for lots of reasons and always out of ammo too. There were times that I found great deals on ammo that I couldn't shoot at garage sales and flea markets and such. If I had an adapter for my firearm I could have turned that 1/2 box of 32 ACP or box of old 20 guage into game on the table.

nemoaz
02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't mind having a 30-30 barrel for my 20ga. Wonder if they work in a Rossi? Thanks for the link Tenncedar.
I know that you can't mount a 30/30 barrel (or any rifle caliber barrel) on a 20ga H&R because the shotgun type receiver (SB1) won't handle the pressure. I sure as heck wouldn't try it with an adapters.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

I also don't understand the 32acp adapters for 30/30, 308, and 30-06. 32 isn't easy to find now. I don't know why anyone thinks it will suddenly become widespread after the zombies attack.

akbound
02-05-2012, 04:30 PM
If someone wants to carry one (or a couple) of these inserts with them while in the woods, then so much more power to them. If they find enjoyment or amusement doing so then the question of "practicality" becomes moot! Besides, like every thing in life some people will find value in doing so, and some won't.

I once was deer hunting at a Public Game Lands in Indiana County, Pennsylvania and happened across another deer hunter carrying both a sxs double 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs........and a K98 chambered in 7.92x57mm slung across his back. He saw the slightly puzzled look on my face and explained that, "the shotgun was for quick short range shots while he was quietly walking along, and if a longer shot presented itself he planned to use the 8mm Mauser". And even though it seemed both excessive and a bit strange to me; who was I to suggest he was wrong? After all, it was his hunt and he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself!:)

chinookpilot77
02-05-2012, 04:38 PM
When in the woods, I carry whatever dedicated gun took me there in the first place, ie, my hunting rifle or shotgun. I dont carry a "survival rifle" because they all generally suck as hunting fire arms. That would include a HR with a 9mm conversion. (or any sub caliber insert.) Why...because a front bead is not a rifle sight!

I hunt whatever is in season 3-4 days a week ALL year (hogs, yotes, crows, beaver), and 6-7 days a week during deer season. I guide hog hunts for a local outfitter here in Alabama. I never see my hunters carrying this type of cobbled up stuff either.

My back up option is a Ruger 22/45 .22 with a Tac-Sol upper. Weighs 20oz.

If you really want to play the "Far-Fetched" game, what happens when you're firing pin breaks or freezes in your one gun option? No adapter on earth will help with that one. Two guns is better than one with two adapters. You dont give up that much weight either. I bet that adapter weighs pretty close my my entire pistol! (10 shot mag at that)

So, while yes, it does weigh more, I'm not out there hunting or trying to survive with a bunch of cobble up weapons. I know a lot of guys out there look at this type of thing like its the best thing since sliced bread, but look at what the professionals use. Bolt action 22-24" barrel in everything from 270-300WM and all calibers in between. Alaska guys are gonna see everything from 30-06 on the smaller end, .338WM as a standard, and .45-70 for the heavy brush.

If all else, do what our grandfathers did and carry a .30-30 lever. These "frankenguns" are nothing more than a bushcrafty version of a SHTF type exercise and I dont buy into those types of what ifs.

If I were to ever get into a survival situation, it would be because something happened while I was hunting. If something does go afoul, I'll have my 20 rounds of centerfire in .308, and 100 rounds of .22LR. That would last me at least 6 months.

The only reason I can see doing this is cost. It IS a very cost effective method to get into another caliber.

EDIT: Sorry for sounding so fired up in this post...wasn't my intent. You guys can obviously carry whatever you choose. I just dont feel it gives you a good chance of ethical kills, or even all that great of a chance at putting meat on the table when it might count.

jackpine
02-05-2012, 07:07 PM
what happens when you're firing pin breaks or freezes in your one gun option?

If I'm planning long term out in the woods type thing I'd include a few spare parts for my long gun. I'm getting a old bolt action shotgun on loan for a bit and part of the reason I'm looking at it is I think I could use adapters in it and make most of the small parts that make it go bang with some left over hardware store bits and a file. A friend of mine in college only had one old 16 ga shotgun and the firing pin broke. He ended up making a new one out of a nail and a file and a blow torch for heat treating.

plumberoy
02-05-2012, 08:56 PM
empty 9mm brass with a little lead melted in them out of a 410 bead sight called the pulled shot
Just because you can't use a bead sight well does't mean some one else can't . Any one using the 20 to 410 adapters ever tried them in a rifled gun???

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/plumberroy/P2050215.jpg

chinookpilot77
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
what happens when you're firing pin breaks or freezes in your one gun option?

If I'm planning long term out in the woods type thing I'd include a few spare parts for my long gun. I'm getting a old bolt action shotgun on loan for a bit and part of the reason I'm looking at it is I think I could use adapters in it and make most of the small parts that make it go bang with some left over hardware store bits and a file. A friend of mine in college only had one old 16 ga shotgun and the firing pin broke. He ended up making a new one out of a nail and a file and a blow torch for heat treating.

And while you are making your new firing pin, your game just got away.

empty 9mm brass with a little lead melted in them out of a 410 bead sight called the pulled shot
Just because you can't use a bead sight well does't mean some one else can't . Any one using the 20 to 410 adapters ever tried them in a rifled gun???

I wouldn't assume I'm a bad shot with any weapon there, pal. All I'm saying is that its NOT a rifle sight. Furthermore, at what distance was that "group" shot? Most of the folks I see shooting these adapters are doing so at 20 yards or so...not what I'd call acceptable accuracy from any long gun.

plumberoy
02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
just because you aren't good with one type of sight doesn't mean you a bad shot. Go to some of the rendezvous type shoots some of the better shooters shoot 4"groups at 100 yards with trade guns with just a bead sights. that was at 25 yards only the 2nd attempt with this load even with slugs a 410 is a 40 yard gun max i can do 4" groups with 12 gauge slugs out of my single shot as long as my shoulder holds out.
a lot of shooters can't keep a on a paper plate at 20 yards with a 9 mm pistol so minute of rabbit at twenty yards may feed youif you are out of shotgun ammo. where a pistol might not. Go to a range and just watch people shoot handguns.
Besides when does usefulness or need come into play with buying guns/toys these days
I would consider one in 20 ga 40 cal to play with my 20 ga rifled single shot I choose to hunt up close and personal so 20-25 yard works for me . Having a 40 cal option which I have dies for brass for and could pick up a mold for . hogs are coming to our area down loaded 40 cal for small game and the the ability to to switch to my thumper hand loaded slugs would be something that would interest me
Roy

jackpine
02-06-2012, 12:20 AM
And while you are making your new firing pin, your game just got away.

but if I'm a long way from home and a long way from the 7-11 I can still get that little buggers brother!

chinookpilot77
02-06-2012, 12:28 AM
HA, you are either missing the point, or messing with me.

I'm not saying ANYTHING about my ability to shoot. I am saying that a bead sight is simply not as good as a traditional rifle sight, or bead sights would also be on rifles.

What you, or me, or jim bob at the local blackpowder fest can do, is immaterial. The bead sight is plain and simple inferior to a rifle sight due to elevation and windage adjustments when shooting at RIFLE ranges.

I agree that NEED has very little to do with why I buy anything anymore, and I have plenty of my own little off the wall projects going too, I just dont feel that adapters are as good as a dedicated gun to do the job it was designed for, even when accounted for weight.

A few years back I tried to get a gun that could do it all, in several different variations, and came to the conclusion that I was never going to be happy with so many compromises to accuracy when I am used to threading the needle at 300 yards. Now, I take a dedicated hunting rifle/SG for the game I am going after--- .223, .308, .300WM, .45-70 or .12ga. In addition, I carry my purpose built .22 pistol.

For me, the extra 20oz (less if you deduct the weight of the sub cal inserts), is worth it to have so much more range, capacity, accuracy, and reliability when factoring in a two gun system.

Not telling you that you shouldn't continue to tinker with whatever, but I am a hunter first, a woodsman second, a "survivalist" third and this is what makes the most sense for me.

(and by survivalist I dont mean a SHTF type survivalist...more like if my helicopter goes down I want to be prepared to get my ass out alive.)

plumberoy
02-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Never said a bead sight is as good . I said there are people around that can use them as good as the average person can use a standard sight . There are alot of people that flat can not hit anything past arms length with a pistol go set and watch people shoot at a pistol range a lot of people can not keep 6 shots on a paper plate at 7 yards being a hand loader I make trapper loads for my big game rifles

huntingohio
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I cant really see an great use for these. I think dave c is going a little of base with the stuff hes advocating. The idea of these adapters are kinda dangerous. Shotguns arent desingned to shoot highpressure rounds.

GreyOne
02-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Question asked, answered, and discussed fully. Now getting into nits and personal issues.

Closed