PDA

View Full Version : Shooting ranges...

Trekon86
02-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Anybody know exactly what the most recent laws are regarding the PGC state gameland handgun ranges are like?

For example, do you need to sign in? Do you need to limit your shooting to a certain type of handgun w/less mag capacity?

(My pal and I are going out tomorrow but our guns both have hi-cap mags. He says he's shot there before but I don't know how legal that was. I might just suggest going out to Gpa's woods).

PMZ

Pict
02-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Be very careful about the PA game commission ranges. The 25 yard range is NOT a dedicated pistol range unless it is specifically marked as such. I have seen people busted for ASININE VIOLATIONS... on the verge of a rant here... need to chill...

The rules are posted. The rules will be enforced according to the strictest possible interpretation. The officer will stand there and watch you closely as you in all good faith and slight ignorance color outside of one of the lines and then he will challenge you over your offense against human decency and he will write you a fine.

The only way to safely use a PA state range without fear of violation is to pack up and leave when the Game Commission shows up. I have seen too many times people getting written up for the stupidest things by officers who will walk up, strike up a friendly conversation, buddy buddy, shoot the bull... "Excuse me... did you just fire six rounds from that revolver? No, this is merely the 25 yard range it is not a DEDICATED pistol range, that will cost you a few hundred dollars."

Don't let this stop you from using a state range but I am dead serious, if they show up, the only thing you do is pack up. Sit back for a half hour, someone will get written up but it won't be you.

ETA - The rules aren't that bad, never load more than 3 rounds, use targets on the backboards, no multi-pellet shotgun rounds at the backboards.

That said I have seen people seriously fined for all of these by officers who had been standing there for at least 15 minutes of friendly conversation, watched the people as they loaded more than 3, attempted to pattern buckshot, or tossed an ammo carton out to plink. They DID NOT SAY A THING while observing what was about to happen, then the officer friendly mask came off and they wrote up the fine.

If your guns are safely in the car hang out and watch, sometimes it will pay off with a really funny exchange.

"I need to see your ID, I'm going to fine you for loading and firing more than three rounds."

"Excuse me?"

"You just fired five rounds from your handgun. That is a violation of the range rules here and I'm going to have to fine you."

"OFFICER YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW I GOT MORE THAN ONE ROUND INTO A THOMPSON CENTER CONTENDER!!!!"

true story, can't make this stuff up.

Trekon86
02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks Mac, we were thinking of going to the Nesquahoning place but I'm thinking Gpa's woods might be a better choice, lol!
PMZ

GreyOne
02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks Mac, we were thinking of going to the Nesquahoning place but I'm thinking Gpa's woods might be a better choice, lol!
PMZ

Smart idea, sounds like.

Rider
02-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Be very careful about the PA game commission ranges. The 25 yard range is NOT a dedicated pistol range unless it is specifically marked as such. I have seen people busted for ASININE VIOLATIONS... on the verge of a rant here... need to chill...

The rules are posted. The rules will be enforced according to the strictest possible interpretation. The officer will stand there and watch you closely as you in all good faith and slight ignorance color outside of one of the lines and then he will challenge you over your offense against human decency and he will write you a fine.

The only way to safely use a PA state range without fear of violation is to pack up and leave when the Game Commission shows up. I have seen too many times people getting written up for the stupidest things by officers who will walk up, strike up a friendly conversation, buddy buddy, shoot the bull... "Excuse me... did you just fire six rounds from that revolver? No, this is merely the 25 yard range it is not a DEDICATED pistol range, that will cost you a few hundred dollars."

Don't let this stop you from using a state range but I am dead serious, if they show up, the only thing you do is pack up. Sit back for a half hour, someone will get written up but it won't be you.

ETA - The rules aren't that bad, never load more than 3 rounds, use targets on the backboards, no multi-pellet shotgun rounds at the backboards.

That said I have seen people seriously fined for all of these by officers who had been standing there for at least 15 minutes of friendly conversation, watched the people as they loaded more than 3, attempted to pattern buckshot, or tossed an ammo carton out to plink. They DID NOT SAY A THING while observing what was about to happen, then the officer friendly mask came off and they wrote up the fine.

If your guns are safely in the car hang out and watch, sometimes it will pay off with a really funny exchange.

"I need to see your ID, I'm going to fine you for loading and firing more than three rounds."

"Excuse me?"

"You just fired five rounds from your handgun. That is a violation of the range rules here and I'm going to have to fine you."

"OFFICER YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW I GOT MORE THAN ONE ROUND INTO A THOMPSON CENTER CONTENDER!!!!"

true story, can't make this stuff up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes on rants like that about this and similar subjects! *highfives*

Trekon86
02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I convinced my friend it'd be better to go to Gpa's:D

We blew through better than three boxes of 9mm and maybe 1/8 of a brick of .22.

My gun is still FTEing occasionally so I guess it's good I ordered the extractor and pin and spring yesterday! I want to get this beast up and running.

Oddly though his gun (brand new Ruger) was also FTEing occasionally when we fed it the Winchester white box stuff. So I think it could be a combination of poor ammo and extractor issues for me.

The other brands seemed to do a bit better. Oddly enough I had no issues loading or ejecting an entire mag of 124 grain Bitterroot Valley hollowpoints, which I had assumed would not feed properly due to their angled/pointed slugs and the humpy/rounded nature of the feed ramp.

Whatevs...anybody have any advice on whether I should do it myself or take it and the new parts to a gunsmith? I could also have my mentor look at it, I'm sure he'd be able to do it. I could also give him my bags of 9mm casings to reload:D
PMZ

Bearck2050
02-15-2012, 04:00 PM
As of April 2, 2011, a new regulation from the Pa Game Commission requires users of the PGC shooting ranges to have a valid PA Hunters or Furtakers license or a special permit issued by the PGC.
Too many years of people abusing the ranges with automatic weapons have led to this. As a hunter and avid shooter, I'm actually in favor of this regualtion, and wanted to pass this information on. Here's a link if you want to read more SS135.181 (B) (8)...

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=937862&mode=2

Clydesdale
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info Bearck2050. Was not aware of this.

My family stopped using the public ranges when I was 18 yrs. old and instead joined a local hunting club with their own ranges. We found this to be necessary because of the sort of people and misuse of the public range. The last time we used them, we witnessed two guys get shot at the pistol benches because a guy John Wayned his auto - dropped the clip out one handed and turned his piece side ways to lay it on the bench, at the same time discharging the round that was still in the chamber. This range has since that time been closed for other reasons. What a shame.

Where I currently live there's a public range and I thought I'd go take a look. I live too far from our club now and I wanted a place that I might be able to take my son and teach him. To my disappointment, it was the same old thing. Guys were walking behind me with loaded autos, walking to the end of the bench and just free handedly unloading. They never even came close to hitting the target. I was watching the dirt kick up 10 ft. in front of the back boards. So I packed up and went home. Won't be going back. This range supposedly has the three round rule also. I've never seen it enforced, but I've never seen the game or park officers there either. Guess I'll look for a local gun club around here.

Be safe friends.

Trekon86
02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Anybody have suggestions as to the best rod and gun clubs in the Lehigh Valley area?

PMZ

Clydesdale
02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Trekon86, I'm not too familiar with clubs up that way. But I did buy some firearms from EagleArms over in that area. They're a gun shop that likes sponsoring some of the local gun shows. They're located off Hamilton Blvd. in Breiningsville. Maybe contact them and see if they could point you in the right direction.

Trekon86
02-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks, there is a pretty nice range between Berlinsville and the Gap but it is pretty exclusive, I think you have to be invited by another member...and it probably costs you money, lol! I don't want to join a rod and gun club just to sit around on Friday nights and drink cheap crappy beer and gossip, lol. And a lot of the clubs around here, seem like that's all they do, haha. Hence the question...thanks for your answer, though, Clydesdale!

PMZ

Clydesdale
02-26-2012, 10:26 PM
By the way, the gun club my family and I belong to is called Paletown and it's outside of Quakertown. Prob. a little out of your way. It's alot out of my way, but I still hunt back home in Bucks Co.