PDA

View Full Version : Helle Knives

Dan Kirkland
02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
So after I receive my knife that is being made for me I'm looking at getting another Saami style knife to have as a companion to it or one for my future wife to use.

I like the looks and specs of the Helle Fire but I can't find ANY good reviews or uses of it or any other Helle knives and there's no chance of trying one out here in WV since there's no good knife dealers in my area and bushcrafting in my area at least is practically non-existent.

So has anyone had any experience with the Fire? Or any other one of Helle's offerings? If so which one would you recommend?

bushwolf
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Helles are good knives.
I wouldn't want to baton firewood with one, but for carving and other camp chores, they work very well.

My only complaint is that they make them too pretty, I hate to take a nice mirror finished knife and scratch it all up just by whittling some fuzzsticks, so my Fjellkniven is kind of a safe queen.

I really like the looks of the new Helle Viking though, nice no nonsense design, and it is forge finished.

Northman242
02-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I own three Helle's.

Helle 'Harding' knife which I use for general all-purpose use.

Helle 'Taiga' knife which I use for heavier work.

Helle 'Steinbit' knife which is a fish fillet knife.

Helle knives are fantastic. But NEVER use them for splitting wood with a Baton.

My only beef with Helle is that they can't work on a Firesteel...

Howie
02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I have really mixed feeling on helle's my first one broke sideways just useing it on a firesteel. But had zero problems with warrenty, just took a pic emailed helle had a new knife straight from them in a few weeks. no questions. then i got a fjellkniven, my favorite grip and most comfortable knife i own, but the laminated steel is to soft to make a firesteel work. One of the best carvers i own and esilly takes one of the best edges. but other than very light battoning the blade loosened up in the handle.

really depends on what you want it to do. Absolutley hands down some of the most beutifull company knives out there, I guess if kept to pure cutting task only and some will say thats all a knife should do, use the right tool for the job so to speak, they are great. If your going to hard use them, me i look at others in my collection...

RangerJoe
02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I had a Helle Odel for a long time, I have small girly hands and the handle fit me very well

As Howie said though, they are no good for striking a firesteel.

BigBepf
02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I have a viking - great blade but too thick

kgd
02-12-2012, 02:21 PM
So after I receive my knife that is being made for me I'm looking at getting another Saami style knife to have as a companion to it or one for my future wife to use.

Buy the wife first and the knife second. That way you can save up for a really good wife :D :D :D

chopchop
02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
I had a Helle Eggen for a while. It was a good knife, took a great edge, felt good in the hand. I found you could strike a LMF firesteel with the edge, but not with the spine. Not ideal, but I had a striker anyway, so no problem for me.

I ended up trading it because I just wanted to try something different and the guy I was trading with liked it.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5871/img3229sd.th.jpghttp://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2359/img3243xv.th.jpghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1262/img3244en.th.jpghttp://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7/img3234tf.th.jpghttp://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2163/img3233b.th.jpg

Taliesin
02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
I've got Joe's Odel and have had no problems throwing sparks with the spine. My fire steel is a cheap one from SMKW. I love that little Odel! Great little knife and the best one I own! :) Makes excellent feather sticks too! I do bot baton with it, nor any knife.

wildschwein
02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
hmmm, sorry, I can't say something about the Helle Fire, but I own an Eggen and a Temagami and I like them both. The Knives from helle are very traditional and they use beautiful materials. The laminated steel has very soft outer layers, so the knives would rather bend then brake. The blades are thin and the knives were not made for any kind of abuse. they becomes really sharp. When I take a hatchet with in the woods, the Helle knives are my first choice.

Bax 40
02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I have owned a Helle fire and its a really nice handy little knife and is the only full tang knife that they make as far as I know, all are good cutters and slicers, I have another just dont know the modal.
Eagle RiverDee owns the fire now, pm her and get her take on it.
She probably used it more than I have.

Larry

Dubcut
02-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I've got the Besseggen, and am a big fan. Very sharp and stays that way for a good while after a handful of swipes on the wet stone. Quality metal either way.

http://helle.no/media/2012/01/Besseggen.jpg
http://helle.no/media/2012/01/Fire.jpg

TMILLER
02-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I have owned a Fjellkniven for a few months now. I second the "no battoning" advice. Stick tangs just aren't meant for super heavy work. For carving and anything else it is a great knife, and holds an edge for a long long time. Id recomend them to anyone. They also have a lifetime warenty.

SIHunter
02-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I have had a Helle Futura for a while now and it is the knife I carry when I deer hunt. Feels good in the hand and keeps an edge for a long time. Cuts through ribs no problem and handles everything else I need when hunting . Can't say I'd want to baton anything with it.

bradleybuckman
02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
I have 3 Helle's and really like them. The bottom one was given to me by a life long friend. It's the perfect size for a neck knife and probably one of my favorite knives.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/bradleybuckman1/IMG_0445.jpg

renter6
02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I've got a Nying and like some others here have said, there's some kind of magic in the edge. Its the best carver I have, and I can't get any of my other knives as sharp. The edge does chip a bit of you push it hard, I'd worry about that with batoning before I worried about breaking the tang.

KanukKarhu
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
My Helle Harmoni Plus is a beauty, although I've not used it much. My son brought it back for me after his time in Norway. I love it. I think it would be an OK user, but I question any tang (stick tang or whatever) that doesn't go the length of the handle. In fact, if anyone knows where we could find out, it would be wise for you, IMHO, to check that out before buying the knife as a bush knife...

Good luck.

Dubcut
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
^^ I actually just ordered the Nying last night for a pretty good price off amazon. I like the smaller knives.

Crco
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
So what is the definitive answer regarding Helle Knives (which are beautifully awesome) and the act of batoning??

Over the years, I've seen a lot of debate on the actual act-of and value of batoning with various Helles. This thread is a good example. Some advocate it, some say "no way".

Are there some Helles that are intended to be baton-capable? And good at it?

chopchop
02-13-2012, 06:31 PM
So what is the definitive answer regarding Helle Knives (which are beautifully awesome) and the act of batoning??

Over the years, I've seen a lot of debate on the actual act-of and value of batoning with various Helles. This thread is a good example. Some advocate it, some say "no way".

Are there some Helles that are intended to be baton-capable? And good at it?

I batoned my Eggen through a piece of dryish wood from my wood pile. Yeah, I did, and for no real good reason other than to see how it would work. (I know, I know :4:) I didn't wail on it, but I didn't baby it either. Not really the best idea it turned out, as you can see... still a user is a user. The knife still worked fine, just had a little push out at the spine. I wouldn't do it again unless I had to or was truncating/notching green wood. Lesson learned for a stick tang knife without a ferrule.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg11/scaled.php?server=11&filename=img3233b.jpg&res=medium

BigBepf
02-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I find it so strange, that I would agree that stick tangs should be batoned too badly... but i'll admit it - I have beat the living daylights out a of a Mora classic #1. I'm not joking, I've batoned through plenty of sub 3 inch pieces of oak.

Here's my stick-tang theory - If you don't spend much at all, it won't break because you don't care about it. If you spend a noticable amount of money, it will break the moment your mind enters the realm of thought of wanting to baton something with it.

KanukKarhu
02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I batoned my Eggen through a piece of dryish wood from my wood pile. Yeah, I did, and for no real good reason other than to see how it would work. (I know, I know :4:) I didn't wail on it, but I didn't baby it either. Not really the best idea it turned out, as you can see... still a user is a user. The knife still worked fine, just had a little push out at the spine. I wouldn't do it again unless I had to or was truncating/notching green wood. Lesson learned for a stick tang knife without a ferrule.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg11/scaled.php?server=11&filename=img3233b.jpg&res=medium

Bummer. Thanks for showing us - I can tell you I'll not baton any of my stick tang knives now.

darodalaf
02-13-2012, 08:44 PM
I have the right knife for knife-work, a Brusletto Trollkniv (very similar to Helles of the same size), and the right implement for splitting wood, a Wetterlings hatchet.

A big, old thick-spined, full-tang bushcraft knife is a great tool, but does neither job as well as two implements designed for their respected tasks.

flatlander88
02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
My only beef with Helle is that they can't work on a Firesteel...

x2.

I own one and really like it.

chopchop
02-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Bummer. Thanks for showing us - I can tell you I'll not baton any of my stick tang knives now.

Oh now I wouldn't go that far! lol

I find controlled batoning to be very useful for doing all kinds of things besides processing firewood - things like truncating, limbing, notching.

I will now just be more careful with knives like these where there is no metal ferrule or bolster to protect the front end of the handle from splitting. For example, a wood handled mora has that nice little metal bit where the blade meets the handle. I think that kind of construction makes them much tougher than they seem like they should be.

For folks who say that you should never baton a knife, that's fine too. There's room in the world for lots of different ways of doing things. :dblthumb: