PDA

View Full Version : Strop issues

vermillion8604
02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
For some strange reason my stropping compound doesn't go onto my strop evenly, instead it looks spotty and all blotted. Any suggestions and advice?

glen1100
02-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Did you heat the leather up ?

Ratty1
02-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Make sure that the leather is clean first. If there is oil or wax on it than the compound won't be able to load up properly. Try warming up the leather a little before attempting to load it up. It will open the pores and also help soften the compound to allow it to load up better.

mainewoods
02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I heat My Strop Up with a hair dryer, I think it helps the compound Better.

vermillion8604
02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Do y'all think it's because I use buffing compound from lowes?

tanman2003
02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
u can heat up the stropping compound a bit too, on the portion that u are using.

Ratty1
02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I use the same stuff and don't have any issues. You probably just need to heat the leather up some. You can use a hair dryer or heat gun for best results. If you use a lighter, you need to be real careful not to burn the leather.

dRobinson
02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Depending on what leather you use, it may require some prepping. I ordered some leather from JRE Industries and tried applying green and black compound to the "shiny" side of 2 different strops. It had trouble sticking to the leather and resulted in uneven clumps. I read reviews on heating the leather, heating the compound, etc. Eventually I contacted JRE and all I needed to do was buff up the shiny side of the leather with some 220 or 400 grit sandpaper until the surface resembled a velvety feel. After that the compound applied very well and no problems since then.

Zig
02-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Do y'all think it's because I use buffing compound from lowes?

I use the same style compound and had the exact same problem at first. I'm pretty sure it's craftsman buffing compound. It took a bit to load up properly. I just rubbed it on with very light pressure for about a minute. It doesn't need to be very much. Heating the leather or compound helps, but I haven't found it to be necessary.

The real trick is knowing that you don't need very much on there in the first place. It took me a week or two to figure that out. Just a small amount will do the work. If it gets all bumpy, just scrape the leather with the spine of your knife. I also do that when it gets glazed with metal.

vermillion8604
02-18-2012, 02:28 PM
I heat My Strop Up with a hair dryer, I think it helps the compound Better.

How hot should I get it?

glen1100
02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I warm mine up to just enough to soften up the compound when it's rubbed on the leather, that's usually warm enough to open the pores in the leather. The coarser black compound is a little harder to get in the leather, more grit less crayon

vermillion8604
02-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I got it, the leather was too smooth so I had to remove the old compound and rough it up with some sand paper, then I heat it and it worked like a charm, thanks guys.