PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds

Faol
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Would anyone be interested in having classifieds available?

The classifieds would be for the general membership to sell and trade their goods.

I was thinking that $2 per ad would be a fair price, since it is another software that I would have to purchase.

Let me hear your opinions on this.

Thanks,
Faol

Kepis
09-17-2008, 12:41 PM
The other way to do it, would be to make full memberships available that people have to pay for, you could make it that only full members can advertise goods for direct sale on the site, but general non paid up members, could only trade goods, you might also want to add a commercial section for schools, equipment suppliers to use, of course being commercial enterprises they would have to pay a top dollar rate to advertise directly on here.

Just a thought

Faol
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
The other way to do it, would be to make full memberships available that people have to pay for, you could make it that only full members can advertise goods for direct sale on the site, but general non paid up members, could only trade goods, you might also want to add a commercial section for schools, equipment suppliers to use, of course being commercial enterprises they would have to pay a top dollar rate to advertise directly on here.

Just a thought

We have been discussing these items. We are going to find a good store program for paid subscription "merchant" accounts, for people on the boards who make their own leather goods, knife resellers, knife and bow makers, etc.

The classifieds will be for folks who just have a piece of kit or tools that they no longer want, and are looking to sell them. The problem with the swap meet type of setup is that we are looking for this to really grow and a separate application like the classifieds program will keep things organized and categorized for efficient listings of goods.

Koa and I have discussed the sponsorship and recommended suppliers (which would basically be advertisers). We do not want to gunk up the boards with a bunch of advertisements. I am sure they will come when we get the membership up and we need to know how to deal with them by then. That is why we have an actual company that owns this domain (and others), as well as a trademarked logo. We tried to think of what could come of this site and plan for it. We certainly haven't thought of everything so these type of suggestions are most welcome.

This reminds me. We need a review section. I have had bad run-ins with questionable vendors and products, as I am sure others have. I would prefer we learn from each other in that regard as well.

Big Daddy
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I like the idea of a Review Section. One that we could get from people that are trusted. Maybe before anyone could advertize a product it should pass a members on the job "if you will" review. Then you place the Advertizment on the review page...

DevilDwarfBladesmith
10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Great idea fellas!

BOWGUY
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
what about $2 per ad...WHEN IT SELLS???????

THEN LOTS MORE WOULD JOIN IN AND POST AND TRADE ETC..

just a thought.
jamie

Ripmyfly
10-28-2008, 07:54 AM
2$ a ad sounds more than fair to me.

Faol
10-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I am going to try to have this up and running in the near future. It is just something else on the list...lol

Jason
11-03-2008, 09:49 AM
what about $2 per ad...WHEN IT SELLS???????

THEN LOTS MORE WOULD JOIN IN AND POST AND TRADE ETC..

just a thought.
jamie

That sounds great until you realize that there is no way for us to know when it actually sells since we are not making the transaction. It's easy enough to go through email or PM until the ad mysteriously disappears. Not that you would do that but some might be tempted to take advantage that way.

Trekon86
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM
This sounds like a cool idea, I like the idea of swaps/classified sections in addition to the full paid membership, great ideas folks keep em coming!
PMZ

Flintlock
11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I support this idea and can contribute some items of special interest.

chingon
02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Any updates on a classified section?

pure_mahem
02-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Was thinking a Field testers corner to go along with the review section. Not just one member but different ones testing items from advertisers, sponsors what have you. The advertiser would provide the item to one member on condition of a review to be posted within a set amount of time. Certain criteria would have to be met pertaining to what the content of the review must include. Member would have to meet certain criteria to be eligable to field test gear such as how active the member is on the forum and such. Just an idea.

Trekon86
02-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Was thinking a Field testers corner to go along with the review section. Not just one member but different ones testing items from advertisers, sponsors what have you. The advertiser would provide the item to one member on condition of a review to be posted within a set amount of time. Certain criteria would have to be met pertaining to what the content of the review must include. Member would have to meet certain criteria to be eligable to field test gear such as how active the member is on the forum and such. Just an idea.

Problem there is that then the testers are not impartial; they will often feel obligated to give a good report even if the product sucks monkey nuts.
Just a thought...
PMZ

irrationalsolutions
02-11-2009, 12:08 AM
i can see and understand where that would be a problem but look at regular gear testers. manufactures want to get a honest review, that way they can make the product better. look at hennessy hammocks for example. sgt rock i beleive it was got in touch with the company and talked with them and after a while they came out with a different product and sent him one to test. he let them know what he thought and they changed it a little and now they have it on the market. i'm not saying all testers are honest but that is what they really want.

Jason
02-11-2009, 12:42 AM
The real bias comes when the reviewer stands to benefit financially from the product being reviewed. This happens when you sell the product directly or collect advertising fees in exchange for a review.

sbkittrell
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I think the 2.00 per ad is fair and sounds good. I'm on the fence about the paid membership. I'd joinup of course, but I am a member of the NC Predator Hunter's Association and the paid membership issue caused a lot of dissention and eventually some hard feelings. I doubt that would happen here though, so if you do it, I'll join up immediately.

Faol
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
I am leaning more towards store fronts for folks that have crafts they want to sell on a regular basis, and classifieds for those one-offs, gear thinning, bartering, etc. The paid membership I would agree on. I will need Koa's feedback for us to come to a consensus.

rik_uk3
02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Most kit reviews never go on public view, its more for company feedback; I've done various reviews mainly on stove related items and not seen any in print as such, I've just told the company involved my opinion of the product and a nice way of getting some free kit. If the product is crap, I say so.

pure_mahem
02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I think if your lucky enough to actually get to test a piece of gear you have nothing to loose by being honest about how it performs. In this type of situation it is highly unlikely that the same person would get to test more than one item. Your not going to get anything else for free besides the item. So you might as well tell people what you think of it and how it performed for how you used it. The real benefit would be that if something was wrong with it or it could be improved in a particular area it would bring about a more suitable piece of gear available to the public.

Am I understanding how your saying what your saying FAOL. If you join as a paid member you would get to post classifieds for free, other wise they would cost anyone who posted $2 per an add. And store fronts would be available at a purchase price for manufacturers and cottage industries. Is that how your invisioning it. That's how I took it from what's been discussed so far. Point me in the right direction if I'm lost, like I usually am.

Faol
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Am I understanding how your saying what your saying FAOL. If you join as a paid member you would get to post classifieds for free, other wise they would cost anyone who posted $2 per an add. And store fronts would be available at a purchase price for manufacturers and cottage industries. Is that how your invisioning it. That's how I took it from what's been discussed so far. Point me in the right direction if I'm lost, like I usually am.

I would like to keep it simple and have classifieds and store fronts, as you mentioned, without any dependency on a paid membership.

If we do memberships, then it would be a VIB type of thing. Features would be added to paying members, but everything that you can do now, would still be available if you did not want to be a VIB.

The type of thing that could be added, as examples, are a User Gallery for pictures/albums, blogs (i.e., puremahem.bushcraftusa.com), email addy at bushcraftusa.com, etc.).

Just tossing some things around. Like life, when you toss, sometimes things stick, and sometimes they just collect in a tissue to be disposed of.

pure_mahem
02-14-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm sure however it is done it will only add to the character and value of this site. This is already a wonderful place. I recall a short while ago posting saying this site was in my top 3 and I can confidently say this is the site is now my top site as I have difficulty letting a day go by with out checking to see what's new. There is always something interesting and exciting going on here. It's not always the same ol same ol. I'm not sucking up, this is got to be the place to be on the web for me. I'm glad Gaga pointed me over here. Thanx everyone for making this site what it is!:D

Jason
02-14-2009, 02:46 AM
The only thing I know for sure is that the site will always be free to use and allow for the exchange of information. However, if you use the site as a way to sell any goods or services there will be some sort of fee. How this will be implemented still remains undecided but it will come soon. This is only to help cover operating costs of the site and will be set at a fair value. Be warned that if we feel that the sole purpose for membership is to sell a product the link will be removed, period.

I like the idea of the email addresses for paid memberships, I don't even have a BC USA address of my own. Faol won't let me have one. He's stingy like that. :p He does let me come out of the basement once a week though for some sunlight so I guess he's an alright guy.