PDA

View Full Version : An Axe To Grind

Swede6.5x55
02-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Maybe in tools, move if need be.
Litteraly, i have some anticipated axes comming and they will need sharpening. I have a wheel grinder, and it works, but isn't good for sharpening(i need new stones) but i need a belt grinder. Some help as to what brand is good, which is bad. I will check my hardware stores and some other places, but i'd like some help. Thanks in advance.

upthecreek
02-26-2012, 06:57 AM
A file will probably work just fine, lots cheaper.

wingnuts
02-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Swede a grinding wheel is not a good idea as it imparts the wrong kind (hollow) of grind a belt sander or file (as mentioned) is better

BigHat
02-26-2012, 07:16 AM
i agree that a file can and will work just fine. but if you're interested in a belt sander in general, i'd take a look at the harbor freight 1x30 belt sander. it's only a 1/2 hp motor, but it is a little workhorse.

rwmck
02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I have a black & decker belt sander table top model, It's a real workhorse for me

Wildlifewarrior
02-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I have used an angle grinder with around 120 grit sandpaper disks, then finish with stones. I use a marker to really make sure I know how far to go.

Mike

vermillion8604
02-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Swede a grinding wheel is not a good idea as it imparts the wrong kind (hollow) of grind

That isn't true, for someone inexperienced yes you will come out with a hollow grind but in all actuality a grinding wheel has been used to put many different bit profiles on axes for hundreds of years. You just have to know how to do it right.

But a file works great.

Swede6.5x55
02-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Swede a grinding wheel is not a good idea as it imparts the wrong kind (hollow) of grind a belt sander or file (as mentioned) is better

Yeah, i don't use it anymore. Files sound like a good idea, but they too can cost money and be an investment. I suppose they are more economical and can serve without electricty. Thanks.

atvgod82
02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I just got my Wetterlings from BCUSA Outfitters, and the little booklet that came with it said not to use a file on this axe because it leaves grooves that can lead to cracks. Any input on this topic?:42:

Swede6.5x55
02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I just got my Wetterlings from BCUSA Outfitters, and the little booklet that came with it said not to use a file on this axe because it leaves grooves that can lead to cracks. Any input on this topic?:42:

I ain't an expert sharpener, but don't use files on a new axe, use a good stone. Files remove the steel, and in a way, so do stones, but using files is for establishing an edge IMO. After that, i use stones and then leather.
You should only have to use files when an axe, or a blade needs serious work.