PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Bear Grylls!

LECTER
03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Looks like he's gone.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/13/man-vs-wild-bear-grylls-fired-discovery-channel/#.T1-MXnmV3E1

For the first time in his career, "Man vs. Wild" star Bear Grylls has failed to survive ... at the Discovery Channel -- because the network just fired him.

A rep for Discovery tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Due to a continuing contractual dispute with Bear Grylls, Discovery has terminated all current productions with him."

Sources tell THR, the relationship came to a screeching halt after 37-year-old Grylls refused to participate in two mystery projects he was contracted for.

Grylls originally partnered with Discovery in 2006 when "Man vs. Wild" premiered on the network. So far, no word on Grylls' next move ... though it will probably somehow involve him drinking his own urine.

dRobinson
03-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Good riddance, I say! Just my opinion. I would MUCH prefer to see Mears on American TV than Bear. No offense to him, it's just too dramatized for my liking.

bluewanders
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Good riddance, I say! Just my opinion. I would MUCH prefer to see Mears on American TV than Bear. No offense to him, it's just too dramatized for my liking.

If Mears were on American Television, they would try to turn it into just as much a carnival act. Somehow I doubt it would take him anywhere near as long as it took Grylls to refuse more of the idiocy they request.

Keyser S÷ze
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
with 50 millions in my account...i would retire to ...

MANIMAL
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
survivorman is set to debut a new season in april!

vermillion8604
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
It's about time!!!!! Let's all get drunk and celebrate by peeing in the empty bottles and send it to him in case he runs out of pee to drink. Lol. Anyone work at a zoo where we can gather some fresh elephant crap?

Kenton
03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Survivorman! +100,000

penetrator
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
It's probably the writers'/directors'/producers' fault, but I hated that character (I'm assuming he's not really like that) and the show. Watching someone eat gross stuff and do stupid stunts got old for me about the time when I was in 3rd grade.

They probably tried to cast him in an even more ridiculous show and he at least had the integrity to refuse ...

Well, now that he's free, maybe he can do the show that I've been thinking about: Dual Survival UK - Ray Mears and Bear Grylls :D

vermillion8604
03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
It's probably the writers'/directors'/producers' fault, but I hated that character (I'm assuming he's not really like that) and the show. Watching someone eat gross stuff and do stupid stunts got old for me about the time when I was in 3rd grade.

They probably tried to cast him in an even more ridiculous show and he at least had the integrity to refuse ...

Well, now that he's free, maybe he can do the show that I've been thinking about: Dual Survival UK - Ray Mears and Bear Grylls :D

That will most likely never happen... Ray doesn't like bear at all and wouldn't be caught dead doing anything with someone who eats crap and drinks pee for money.

tnrick55
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
YEA!:dblthumb::35:

BidCaller
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
I like him, not the show though. T.V. can make anyone look stupid imho.

Sweeneyguy
03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Love or hate the guy. He is very big into the scouts in the UK and got kids off their assess.

Discovery had plenty to do with what he did on tv.

Real survival is boring and sucks. That doesn't bring in viewers.

dRobinson
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
That will most likely never happen... Ray doesn't like bear at all and wouldn't be caught dead doing anything with someone who eats crap and drinks pee for money.

+1 Ray is just on a whole different level than Bear. I've spent hours watching his stuff on YT and he keeps it real. The thing I like best is that he is more along the lines of living in a sustainable way in the "bush," using knowledge and skills to his advantage. This contrasts greatly to Bear (via Discovery Channel) who is all about extreme survival. Although, I think it will be a true judgment of character with regards to Bear's next move...

LECTER
03-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Let's hope he doesn't piss away all the money he made.

J
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Wow, the gurus are dropping like flies.

jloden
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Love or hate the guy. He is very big into the scouts in the UK and got kids off their assess.

Discovery had plenty to do with what he did on tv.

Real survival is boring and sucks. That doesn't bring in viewers.

Yep.

I don't care for the show, but I'm a bushcraft nerd who spends most of his days hanging around here or out in the woods applying skills. I would actually find it interesting to watch someone break out their PSK to hunker down, build a shelter, signal for rescue etc. Your typical US audience would find that really uneventful and boring.

I'm not a Bear Grylls fan, but I don't think it's necessary to gloat over the end of his contract or wish him ill will, either. I hope he has continued success in future endeavors and I'm grateful for the positives Man vs. Wild and Bear brought. For all its faults, the show got many people interested in survival, primitive skills, bushcraft and the outdoors and as Sweeney mentioned encouraged the growth of Scouting and got kids off the couch and into the woods.

jrtaylor155
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Who else recently dropped?

Seniorman
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
with 50 millions in my account...i would retire to ...

Yep, ol' Bear has what is known in show business as "F... You!" money. So now he can't be pushed into doing something he doesn't want to do.

His show was show business entertainment for the masses, who, unlike people on these survival/prepardness sites, hadn't a clue about outdoor "survival. So they watched and were entertained, or at times, repulsed by his "eating habits." Nevertheless, with the format, Bear was very successful.

We see some of the same outlandish exploits in Canterbury/Lundin shows, and the various teeeveee reality "survivor" shows. It's all about "entertainment," not about "Here is the proper way to build a fire," or "Here's the proper way to build a shelter," or "whittle a stick," etc.

I say take it for how it's intended: show business entertainment. :4:

BTW, Bear'll be back in some format or another, count on it.

S.M.

EdD270
03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
OP: "A rep for Discovery tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Due to a continuing contractual dispute with Bear Grylls, Discovery has terminated all current productions with him."
Sources tell THR, the relationship came to a screeching halt after 37-year-old Grylls refused to participate in two mystery projects he was contracted for."

I never cared for the MvW TV show, too much dramatic BS and things that are just wrong from a real survival viewpoint, but that's mostly because of what the producers and directors required Grylls to do. I don't know much about him personally, but I recall a lot of critical things being posted on Ron Hood's "Hoodswoods" forum, and finally Ron posted a reply to the effect that he knew Grylls personally and respected and admired him for his skills and ability in the wild, and that he could not fault him for finding a way to make a living with the skill set he had.
Now, it seems, there are limits to what Grylls will do. Good on him. I hope he has success in whatever he does next.

Skab
03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
In way I say good for Bear. He has his name out there and can now go about proving he knows what he's talking about. (not saying he does or doesn't know anything)

But, show's like his have done wonders for bring new fresh ideas and people into the bushcraft world. And the more that get interested in the outdoors the better I say.

the_finn
03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Grylls seems like a cool guy, but his show and merchandise are definitely little flashy. Just showboating, and what not to appeal to the masses; it is a business after all. Was his show entertaining, sure it was, but his advice on many occasions was questionable to say the least. Same for Canterbury and that Hawke guy (think he made his old lady sick on the desert episode, kept feeding her barrel cactus for hydration. :26:). Lundin seems a little more down to earth. Les Stroud and Ray Mears do very good work, probably not as popular though with the uninitiated.

Am I going to hate Grylls or any of the others for getting paid to do what they love? No. More power to them.

Am I going to take their advice with a grain of salt? Definitely. I generally double check everything I see or read. (Mears being the exception. That man is a genius!)

mainewoods
03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Was Never a Big Fan of "Bear" But Like Brother Sweeney said "He is very big into the scouts in the UK and got kids off their #$^%@ " I think Discovery Had a lot to do with it also. Maybe He will do something else??

Steven Long
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
That actually sucks. I enjoyed watching the show for entertainment purposes. Compared to the other 99% of crap on TV these days, Man vs. Wild was better than most shows. Atleast he was running around in the woods, doing crazy stunts while showing a few good survival skills. That sure does beat watching people getting loaded and being ignorant, which is all that is on these days. If you watch his show for what it is, then it is very entertaining.

Tell me that Jersey Shore or all of the repo shows are being cancelled and then I will be as happy as most of you.

MtnManJoe
03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I consume "All Things Survival", and although Bear Grylls was not my favorite "TV Survival guy", I have watched every episode of M-v-W .. and have gleaned 'some' useful information (as often as not, how Not to approach a situation .. But that is Important information too)

Regardless of what Discovery scripted (pablum for the masse$), I have no doubt that in a Real Survival Scenario, Bear could/would survive just fine.
... 'twill be interesting to see where he goes from here.

In any event, I wish him well in whatever he pursues.

Boot1990
03-13-2012, 02:32 PM
id say pissing on his shirt wont help the heat when his wife doesnt want to sell the mercedes lol

vermillion8604
03-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Yep, ol' Bear has what is known in show business as "F... You!" money. So now he can't be pushed into doing something he doesn't want to do.

His show was show business entertainment for the masses, who, unlike people on these survival/prepardness sites, hadn't a clue about outdoor "survival. So they watched and were entertained, or at times, repulsed by his "eating habits." Nevertheless, with the format, Bear was very successful.

We see some of the same outlandish exploits in Canterbury/Lundin shows, and the various teeeveee reality "survivor" shows. It's all about "entertainment," not about "Here is the proper way to build a fire," or "Here's the proper way to build a shelter," or "whittle a stick," etc.

I say take it for how it's intended: show business entertainment. :4:

BTW, Bear'll be back in some format or another, count on it.

S.M.

This is a survival/preparedness site? That's news to me lol.

Bill Cox
03-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Ill miss Man vs Wild personally, as I would rather watch that then any of the other garbage strewn all over tv

Boot1990
03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
i did enjoy watching the show a bit but did not find him much of a teacher as he was an entertainer. i would love to see survivor man come back. les stroud FTW

darodalaf
03-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I have seen less than an episode of Bear Grylls (I'm not even sure of the name of the program), but I have read a lot about him and his support of Scouts and his character and reaction to his critics, and from that, I have at least some respect for the man.

I just don't get the glee with which people denigrate him on this forum. So he is not your cup of tea, I get that.

I hate macaroni and cheese, but when I go to a restaurant and mac n cheese is not on the menu, I don't pump my fist and shout, "Hell, yeah! In your FACE, mac n cheese!"

whiteoak
03-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Bear Grylls could handle navigating his way through the wilderness, but apparently the fine print on his TV contract was a little rougher.

The 37-year-old host of The Discovery Channel's "Man vs. Wild" -- the sixth season of which wrapped in August -- was fired by the network, allegedly over a lack of cooperation on a pair of projects he was contracted to do, sources told the Hollywood Reporter.

"Due to a continuing contractual dispute with Bear Grylls, Discovery has terminated all current productions with him," a spokeswoman for Discovery confirmed to the News in a statement.Gryllis has been a staple on the network since 2006, when "Man vs. Wild" debuted to become one of Discovery's biggest hits. The show featured the British adventurer dropped into hostile environments and having to use his wits to survive.

A year after it's debut, however, it became "Man vs. Wild" vs. critics after it was revealed that some of Grylls' stunts were embelished for the cameras and that he sometimes spent nights in local motels. :27:

Like every other obstacle, however, Gryllis overcame the scandal and launched a second show for Discovery, "Worst Case Scenario", in 2010.

"They always want to push the boundaries," Grylls told the News in 2007. "I do feel my limits. I don't know quite how much I can take. I was definitely pushed to my struggle point along the way in a lot of these shows."

US Daily News .com

Cant say I'm too upset over the news :28:

copenhagen69
03-13-2012, 06:45 PM
give him another 6 months and he will have a new show on another channel ...

dcobranding
03-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Final season of "Survivorman" though.

I like Les Stroud's approach (but he needs to quit film his feet, feet gross me out).

TreekillerX
03-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Throw away your television.

TLewallen
07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
I have seen less than an episode of Bear Grylls (I'm not even sure of the name of the program), but I have read a lot about him and his support of Scouts and his character and reaction to his critics, and from that, I have at least some respect for the man.

I just don't get the glee with which people denigrate him on this forum. So he is not your cup of tea, I get that.

I hate macaroni and cheese, but when I go to a restaurant and mac n cheese is not on the menu, I don't pump my fist and shout, "Hell, yeah! In your FACE, mac n cheese!"

Exactly. Just change the channel and be quiet. But I don't get what there is to hate on.

He served his country in the military (in the SAS no less!), he had a spinal injury that would retire most folks, he not only came back from that but climbed Mt. Everest just 18 months after the accident. He is dedicated to his faith and family.

His TV show is meant to be entertaining and not an instructional guide.

Bear Grylls for Dockers® - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VicDyzsvJg)

Shnick
07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
give him another 6 months and he will have a new show on another channel ...

Or this:
Bear Grylls Degree Commercial (Wolves) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFeN2J_EKQs)
And this:
Bear Grylls Degree Commercial (Bear) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1a9ScfNZU)
And this:
Bear Grylls Degree Commercial (Wolverines) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZbxzEdQU8)
And even this:
Bear Grylls Trail Mix Cereal Advert (Lion) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yIatQ7QVbg)

I'd venture to say he has a full schedule, show or not...

CodenameWalrus
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Let's hope he doesn't piss away all the money he made.

If he did, he'd just drink it!

http://us8.memecdn.com/another-one-bear-grylls-meme_o_209785.jpg

fuzzycraft
07-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Hate on bear all you want but, if you really want to watch some ri-donk-ulous tv that is over dramatized and just plain silly, just watch man woman wild LOL. I give bear props for the pee drinking, when his competition is man woman wild. That lady is a complete idiot.

Bear is pretty hardcore, anyone see the one where he took the pee sac out of a dead camel and drank it? that was intense but hell i'd do it for a couple mil.

RIP Bear!

and now that i think about it, man woman wild deserves a bashing thread much more than bear.

Shnick
07-16-2012, 08:11 PM
No beef against bear or any other TV celebs, I just think its funny with him doing commercials... No worries for him, he's got a job!

EDIT: To me, Mykal Hawke has always had to keep his cool under all conditions, even when his wife is screaming her head off about having to "behead" dinner... heck, someone has to...

Now just...
Pet it real calmly...
Thats it...
Now grab it firmly by the head and snap its neck..
There ya go...
Now all we have to do is pull the feathers and we have a good chicken dinner...
Good job dear!

fuzzycraft
07-16-2012, 09:15 PM
haha :35:

dbooneWI
07-16-2012, 09:37 PM
well i hate ot see the show go
it seems like their are fewer and fewer "outdoor/ survival" shows every year
and even though he did drink his pee and what not theirs was still some helpful things in
among the show-boating

Prairiewolf
08-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I just hope that there won't be incidents of "impressionable" people deciding that they need to climb down into ice crevices in order to get by in the frozen North.

WoodsJack
08-08-2012, 08:15 PM

It's a "trending" phenomena. And mawketing.

Segments are/will be shifting, accordingly.

CKjeep84
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
just have to say......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aha....

southernbayou
08-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Exactly. Just change the channel and be quiet. But I don't get what there is to hate on.

He served his country in the military (in the SAS no less!), he had a spinal injury that would retire most folks, he not only came back from that but climbed Mt. Everest just 18 months after the accident. He is dedicated to his faith and family.

His TV show is meant to be entertaining and not an instructional guide.

Bear Grylls for Dockers® - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VicDyzsvJg)

Well said fellas. My take on situations like this is I don't know the dude, he's never done anything bad to me, so I wish him no ill will and hope things work out for him. We dont really know all the business details of his contract disputes, or what kind of person / family man he really is off camera. To form an opinion on someone based on what is portrayed through Hollywood producers and sleazy tabloids just ain't right. I wouldn't want people to do that to me if I was in his situation.

Maybe I wasn't a huge fan of his show, but dang, at least it was about a topic we all enjoy...and much better air time than some "real housewives" show. I guess I don't see the reason to celebrate, unless you just enjoy hating on this dude you've never met, and hey, that's your right so more power to ya.

just my two cents :)

Woods Bexar
08-09-2012, 12:05 AM
I guess its cause I'm new to this, but i don't get what all the hate towards him is about. I wish him nothing but the best in whatever he decides to do next.

Wanderlost
08-09-2012, 03:24 AM
I am the only one who actually enjoyed watching his programmes...?? :6:

After all the fuss about the first series (which I didn't see as I was out of the country...), he acknowledged
the camera crew and actually had conversations with them which made it entertaining IMO....
As Tlewallen said, he also climbed Everest, but did you know he was the youngest man ever to do so..?
He was a member of the SAS, but in the Territorial Army (a bit like your National Guard..) not the
regular Army, however the training is pretty much on a par.
Did you also know that he is now the Chief Scout..? Something I think can only be of benefit to the
Scouting organisation... :35:
The programmes he did with two "fans" (Canadians, I think) and Jake Gyllenhal (think that's how you spell it..)
revealed a side of him (caring, concerned and professional) that previous shows did not.
Some of the locations he used were fantastic, and I would be more than happy to tag along with him in one
of the warmer ones, although I'd draw the line at eating live bugs and some of the other vomit-inducing stunts... :26: :18:
Just my 10p worth....

WoodsDevil
08-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Bear is zany, no disputing that. Frankly, I like Bear, Dave & Cody, Les, and the Hawke's all equally well. I understand that it is television and is intended for entertainment. You just have to sepearate what is useful from the TV production "fluff". If it was a dry documentary, nobody would watch it. I think the real value of these shows is that they serve to encourage *some* people to push away from the computer desk, step outdoors, and see that there is life beyond cyberspace.

Admit it folks, you KNOW you loved Bear guzzling his piss from a rattlesnake-skin canteen, and the brackish seawater "Enema-for-England" episodes. In point of fact, I loved watching my wife's facial expressions when I extolled Bear's audacious attempts to re-hydrate himself....PRICELESS! and certainly no worse than Dave intentionally inflicting a cut to his arm and then cauterizing it with black powder. Actually, I sometimes think Les got less DISCOVERY airplay ["Les got less?"] because he is rather sober and cautious about his outings [i.e. less entertainment value].

Just my 2 cents!

WoodsDevil

Timex
08-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Good points and thanks for keeping the field level.

Timex
08-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I also enjoyed his programmes and his book, "The Boy Who Climbed Everest." Some of his stunts had and Escape and Evasion theme to them. Not entirely unrealistic if you found yourself working in a third world country where people stand to profit from your capture. He is no slouch. Good for him participating in Scouting.

ezra45
08-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Whatever the weaknesses of his or other's shows, they are all better than the other reality crap that is currently on television...snooki, trucks on ice, khartrashians, jenners, that idiot Rich Wyatt, etc.
I've tossed my tv, though my wig has one to watch a news program, BBC suspense series, and a show called Longmire on the weekend. Books and music provide plenty of entertainment in the evenings...

Regards,

ezra

SwissArmyKnife
08-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see him on a more low key, real survival show. Where he did survival the right way. Just to see if his actions are still bone-headed, or he is more rational.

Tristar777
08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
He will be back!!

MoraDExplora
08-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Two words...Les Stoud.

Wanderlost
08-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Here you are guys, have a look at these... I think they show him in a more "professional" light....
In Escape to the Legion (3rd item) he is part of the team - no "showboating" which IMHO would
have been what Disco channel would have wanted..... :54:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fdU9o7-nE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYDNfA9CoY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M32WoCBlW_A&feature=related

Bjorno
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Meh.

Bear Grylls has survived more than most of us on these forums. Regardless of whether or not his TV show was legitimate survival(it wasn't) he does deserve some credit.

Those that are cheering about his termination from the show are awfully misguided. Though it is nice that he won't be showing kids how to abseil into ravines using dental floss anymore.

Kevinthewise
08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
I have just watched two of the four parts and i think i have new respect for him now. I am now starting to get the impression that his time with the Discovery channel was not what he had in mind.

PaulK
08-20-2012, 10:43 PM
I have just watched two of the four parts and i think i have new respect for him now. I am now starting to get the impression that his time with the Discovery channel was not what he had in mind.

I think he was a puppet of the network producers. He does seems to have some credible skills.

Tripper Harrison
08-20-2012, 10:54 PM
The only show I saw, he jumped about 15' from a cliff onto a pine tree. and then the camera man had to, as well. I was very impressed. I think his show just doesn't lineup with my schedule, but what I have seen i enjoy. Its all television, and television is simply entertainment.

SamD
08-20-2012, 11:22 PM

I agree completely different personality in the FFL series.

Wanderlost
08-21-2012, 02:29 AM
I think the respect and, if you like, admiration I have for the guy stems from the fact that I was out of the country
and missed his first series - the one that caused all the controversy and furore....
If you can get past what I believe to be the Discovery Channel's Bull*~#t, he has a lot to give, and his personal
achievements are way beyond "Mr. Average" as has already been said....

WoodsDevil
08-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Actually, I found Les' premiere show rather dry this past Sunday night. I do wish they'd bring Bear back...I miss his fun wit. Something else I'd like to see is a "survival competition": a series of skill tests in varied locations, double elimination, pitting the survival show hosts against each other for the crown of "Top Survivor". That'd be a hoot!

WD

MarcoMontana
08-21-2012, 06:06 AM
As long as we have Les we are good!