PDA

View Full Version : The handle on Wildertools

Widerstand
03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has some insight on just how these handles are made step by step? On his site he says "Handle is leather backed, hemp wrapped and epoxy soaked." Does that mean there is leather on both sides of the handle under the hemp and then it is dipped in a fiber glass epoxy? or some other epoxy?

http://wildertools.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IMG_0014-800x400.jpg

Holmesmade
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes, there is leather under the wrap to build up thickness and allow a tiny bit of give which helps improve the grip.

I read in a post by Rick on another forum that he applies a layer of wrap, then coats it in a lacquer-like epoxy and lets it soak in and dry before building up another layer of wrap. This helps the layers stay in place better and reduces the potential for slop or over runs of the lacquer.

I have a knife blank I experimented on with a jute twist wrap. So far it's proving to be pretty comfortable to work with.
It doesn't chafe against my skin, seems to absorb vibration while doing some light chopping and the fully soaked cord does a pretty good job of repelling fluids.

Mine is soaked in wax because I didn't have the funds to buy lacquer or epoxy. I'll eventually have to replace the handle and will probably use super glue of some type as the sealer.

1066vik
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Holmesmade -- try a can of fiberglass resin from wally world or an auto parts store -- same stuff a lot of guys use to make their "mycarta". I think I paid $15 for a quart.

Holmesmade
03-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks, 1066vik. When/if I eventually wear this one out, I'll give that a shot.

So far, the wax soaked jute has done well. There's only the tension of the wrap that applies any stress. I think abrasion and rot will be the biggest concerns.

Rick Marchand
03-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Hey guys,
I first glue leather handle slabs onto the tang and shape. Then I coat them in epoxy(West Systems 105/207). Before they dry, I wrap the hemp then apply another coat of epoxy. After it soaks in well, I wipe off the excess and allow it to cure overnight.

It becomes very strong and weatherproof... basically, hemp micarta.

Rick

fotomaker57
03-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Hey guys,
I first glue leather handle slabs onto the tang and shape. Then I coat them in epoxy(West Systems 105/207). Before they dry, I wrap the hemp then apply another coat of epoxy. After it soaks in well, I wipe off the excess and allow it to cure overnight.

Rick

Rick
That is one awsome blade. Great work budy

Widerstand
03-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for tips guys, I think im going to get the stuff together to try this.

paul cochrane
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
that is a beautiful knife in the photo , just beautiful , and it looks like it could get the job done at the same time

bluewanders
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
His knives are just outrageously nice looking. And I think the handles would be incredibly comfortable. I lust after the Puuko... but I will have to save a good long time to afford a custom knife... One of these days... it will be mine.

Looker
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,

Rick

Thanks for the info. I have tried the same thing with a slingshot handle and liked the results. I plan on doing it with a knife as well, but I hadn't considered putting the leather under it.

Looker