PDA

View Full Version : Who woulda thunk?? So Cool!

CJ60
03-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Since I am back to building knives, my brain has been working overtime...
I got a wild hair the other day, and took a "lighter knot" that I found- for those that dont know, it is Fatwood that is basically a petrified branch where it enters the tree...
Anyway, I cut some pieces off of it, and sanded it down, eventually using 600 grit.. You would not believe how gorgeous this stuff is, and since it is the "petrified" version, not sticky and only faint pitch smell...
I WILL be making a knife handle out of this stuff... Tell me what you think, heck, maybe it has already been done, but I have never seen one...

old man dave
03-15-2012, 07:05 AM
good idea,never have tried it before.lets us know how that works out.

wingnuts
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
I've always admired the grain of fatwood but never found a petrified piece If indeed it's petrified that would make it similar to amber! Very Nice!

old man dave
03-15-2012, 07:13 AM
I did make a walking stick out of fat pine ,it is about 1.5 inches and 5 foot long.

Kerri
03-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Id like to see that

Memnos
03-15-2012, 07:38 AM
That would definitely be something I'd love to see as well..

saintnick001
03-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I've been thinking of making some beads recently out of the stuff.

CJ60
03-15-2012, 08:10 AM
I've thought of the same thing myself. My only problem with fatwood is that its so brittle and prone to split. It is very beautiful wood to be sure. I just don't know if it will make a durable knife handle or not. If it gets hot it will leak pine pitch. That's not good. I just don't know...I dont know how much hotter it could get then going from bleached grey to the polished 600 grit shine you see (started with 80 grit, 120, 220, 400, 600)... And this was on my belt sander at 2200 RPM... I really thought it would melt, gum up sandpaper, etc... Even when it got pretty hot (to touch), it only faintly smelled like pitch... I would think it not much different than pressurized stabilized wood, but who knows?? I guess I will find out!! LOL...
I took a piece and drilled a hole in it (crossgrain), and then put a 1/4" bolt through it and a nut... tightened it VERY tight, waiting for it to explode or at least pop, and it didnt... I will next try hitting the small piece in my picture with a hammer on the cement floor, and see what happens...
I know you wouldnt want to put a flame to the scales made of this stuff, guaranteed to burn!!! But it will already be stabilized, waterproof, etc... Oh, and when I drilled the hole in the one piece, since it is so hard, it smoked like crazy but did not ignite, nor did it foul up the drill bit...

I'm going to order another Karesuando blade so I can get my Fatwood Knife built!! Stay tuned!!

LANE4
03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
If this works that would be the ultimate bushcraft handle. I mean come on, harvesting fatwood using a knife with a fatwood handle? Now thats cool.

Natures_Adventure
03-16-2012, 04:00 AM
It's amazing how nature works. Let it take it's course.

Redbusa06
03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Beautiful piece