PDA

View Full Version : Townsend Wehlen Books?

norseman55731
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Does anyone on here have any, or read books by Townsend Whelen?

Tomahawk
11-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Wasnt he the guy that was a career soldier /hunter/adventurer back in the early 1900's? I believe he did some exploring up in Canada.

In fact i may have a sports afield or a field and stream article about him.

why did you find a good book??

tomahawk

norseman55731
11-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Yep, thats the same guy. He made a name for himself down in Panama. He spent all of his free time tramping around the jungles exploring and hunting. I have one book by him called On Your Own in the Wilderness. It is co-written by Bradford Aniger. The book I am looking for is called WIlderness Hunting & Wildcraft. Here is a link to a PDF bio. He was an amazing man I think, and under appreciated. http://www.shootersjournal.com/Features/Biographies/Whelen.pdf

Tomahawk
11-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Norseman, thanks for the link ,Ill try to locate the book too.

did you try alibris? I have found many hard to find books there.

tomahawk

norseman55731
11-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I've found two copies now. The cheap one was $125! I wonder why his books don't get reprinted.

Tomahawk
11-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Yep, thats the same guy. He made a name for himself down in Panama. He spent all of his free time tramping around the jungles exploring and hunting. I have one book by him called On Your Own in the Wilderness. It is co-written by Bradford Aniger. The book I am looking for is called WIlderness Hunting & Wildcraft. Here is a link to a PDF bio. He was an amazing man I think, and under appreciated. http://www.shootersjournal.com/Features/Biographies/Whelen.pdf

Norseman, I found this 411 about the book you are looking for on www.alibris.com.

tomahawk

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=&keyword=whelen+townsend+wilderness+hunting+and+wil dcraft&hs.x=14&hs.y=16

norseman55731
11-22-2008, 10:30 PM
$150!!! Damn near given it away!!!

Tomahawk
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
$150!!! Damn near given it away!!!

they seem to be pretty proud of that particular book.

tomahawk

BOWGUY
11-23-2008, 07:16 AM
i have one or two it was grandfathers and i read it alot!
ill double check the name ...

IdahoBackwoods
11-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I have a copy of that book: "Wilderness Hunting and Wildcraft, with Notes on the Habits and Life Histories of Big Game Animals" by Lieut. Colonel Townsend Whelen. Illustrated with Photographs and with Sketches by the Author. (Small Arms Technical Publishing Co., Marshallton, Delaware, 1927).
I bought it at a gun show about 30 years ago, for $55.00.

Much of the book is about various game animals, as the subtitle says. However, there is material on wildcraft, as the main title says:

Finding One's Way
Clothing and Personal Kits
Camp Beds and Bedding
Shelter and Tents
Big-Game Rifles
Wilderness Marksmanship
Photography
Physical Preparation
Appendix A - Convenient Check Lists
Appendix B - [Mainly a recommendation to read Kephart]

Townie was a prolific gun writer, and I used to see his articles and books everywhere when I was a kid. He lived then in St. Louis, and died there in 1961.

"Wilderness Hunting and Wildcraft" is a good read and it contains some good information, but I came away with the feeling that, except for his time in Panama, Whelen was mostly a fair-weather camper, and not as knowledgeable about cold-weather bushcraft as some others. The book (books?) that he wrote with Bradford Angier were also favorites of mine years ago, but I have come to believe that they lack the hard details that I found later in Vilhjalmur Stefanson and Mors Kochanski.

IdahoBackwoods

BOWGUY
11-23-2008, 10:14 AM
i have...skills for taming the wilds..
and i have on your own in the wilderness.

jamie

norseman55731
11-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a copy of that book: "Wilderness Hunting and Wildcraft, with Notes on the Habits and Life Histories of Big Game Animals" by Lieut. Colonel Townsend Whelen. Illustrated with Photographs and with Sketches by the Author. (Small Arms Technical Publishing Co., Marshallton, Delaware, 1927).
I bought it at a gun show about 30 years ago, for $55.00.

Much of the book is about various game animals, as the subtitle says. However, there is material on wildcraft, as the main title says:

Finding One's Way
Clothing and Personal Kits
Camp Beds and Bedding
Shelter and Tents
Big-Game Rifles
Wilderness Marksmanship
Photography
Physical Preparation
Appendix A - Convenient Check Lists
Appendix B - [Mainly a recommendation to read Kephart]

Townie was a prolific gun writer, and I used to see his articles and books everywhere when I was a kid. He lived then in St. Louis, and died there in 1961.

"Wilderness Hunting and Wildcraft" is a good read and it contains some good information, but I came away with the feeling that, except for his time in Panama, Whelen was mostly a fair-weather camper, and not as knowledgeable about cold-weather bushcraft as some others. The book (books?) that he wrote with Bradford Angier were also favorites of mine years ago, but I have come to believe that they lack the hard details that I found later in Vilhjalmur Stefanson and Mors Kochanski.

IdahoBackwoods

Thanks for your insights. I am familiar with Mors, but not with Vilhjalmur Stefanson (sounds like a good Scadi to me!) I'll have to look into his books.

IdahoBackwoods
11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your insights. I am familiar with Mors, but not with Vilhjalmur Stefanson (sounds like a good Scadi to me!) I'll have to look into his books.

Ooops! His last name was spelled Stefansson, not Stefanson. My error.
His best book about survival in the far north, and the BEST I've ever found on construction of igloos and other boreal shelters, is "The Arctic Manual," which he wrote for teaching arctic survival to air crews during WWII. Unfortunately, it was republished in 1974, so it isn't in the public domain.

However, another helpful book of Stefansson's, "The Friendly Arctic," can be downloaded from http://books.google.com/ .

IdahoBackwoods
11-23-2008, 04:05 PM
i have...skills for taming the wilds..
and i have on your own in the wilderness.
jamie

Yes, those were Angier books, and the latter was written with Townsend Whelen. At that time, Whelen had written frequently for Sports Afield, Field & Stream, The American Rifleman, and Outdoor Life. He was very well known to outdoorsmen, especially as a rifleman and gun writer. Whelen died in 1961, and in 1965, Petersen Publishing honored him with a book called "Mister Rifleman," the story of his life, part of which was written by Whelen before he died. The rest was filled out by Bradford Angier and Whelen's daughter.

By the way -- it was Whelen who wrote that famous line, "Only accurate guns are interesting."

GreyOne
11-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah , I have his two volume set on Rifles and ballistics- very good reference work, the camping book he co-authored w/ Angier s also good.

Zengunfighter
11-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Interesting. I knew of him for his work with rifles. He developed some cartridges that are still in use such as the .35Whelen.

but I didn't know anything about this other side of him.

Mountain Ron
11-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Here are a few Whelen books you can download for free from Internet Archive.

http://www.archive.org/details/suggestionstomil00whelrich

http://www.archive.org/details/americanrifletre00wheliala

I prefer to download them as DJ VU documents. They take up less space than a PDF and scroll quicker. To get to the download options click on the "All files:HTTP" under the picture of the book on the left side of the page. Find the DJ VU option, right click and download with your favorite download manager. As far as DJ VU readers I prefer WIN DJVU. Its a nice little program and preforms very well. Just do a search for it. Its less than a Megabit in size.
Enjoy.......Ron

norseman55731
11-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Mtn. Ron,
Thanks for those! I'm downloading them at this very moment!

Ripmyfly
11-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks Ron, Wow great books!